The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: Next year...2019-20

Post by YoDeFoe »

Glad to see Green above 200lbs. He'd said that's where he was but nice confirmation here.

FWIW, his body reminds me of Jamelle Horne.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Glad to see Green above 200lbs. He'd said that's where he was but nice confirmation here.

Why would you say something like that? The second you said it, I thought of a foul 75 feet from the basket in a tie game with the clock running out.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Glad to see Green above 200lbs. He'd said that's where he was but nice confirmation here.

Why would you say something like that? The second you said it, I thought of a foul 75 feet from the basket in a tie game with the clock running out.
Richard Jefferson! He reminds me of Richard Jefferson!

(I'm so sorry)
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Nico's wingspan or lack there of may be a factor that keeps him at Arizona longer.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Nico's wingspan or lack there of may be a factor that keeps him at Arizona longer.
Can't think of many NBA players with t-rex wingspan. Maybe JJ Reddick? Even guys like Isiah Thomas and Nate Robinson were +3-4 wingspan or more

Williams is better here, he's 6'2 with a 6'6 wingspan
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Wingspan can be overlooked for a PG. Trae Young is 6'2" with a 6'3" wingspan. Steph is 6'3" with a 6'3" wingspan. If a PG can pass and shoot, their wingspan won't keep them off a draft board (conversely, if they can't pass or shoot, wingspan can get them to the top of the draft board... waive hello Colin Sexton, De'Aaron Fox, and Frank Ntilikina).
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

So he needs to become a sharpshooter who hits shots from 45ft to get drafted

Anyway, Green & Mannion should be fun
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

dmjcat wrote:Terry Amstrong wins National Slam Dunk Contest
This is all I could find.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:Well if you wanted Miller to change anything in system, tonight gave you an answer.

Do What We Do
At least it gets rid of the packline can't make a final four or win a natty talk.
Packline made the final four last year with Loyola Chicago.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:Well if you wanted Miller to change anything in system, tonight gave you an answer.

Do What We Do
At least it gets rid of the packline can't make a final four or win a natty talk.
Packline made the final four last year with Loyola Chicago.
Pack line with 3&4 year athletes.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Nico doesn't seem to do/show well in these all star exhibitions (like the McD's AA game), but seems to kill it in practice. Probably has to adjust to the athleticism in these games, he'll do it eventually though. But traditional bigs and true points seem to always get lost in these type of games because it's all flash
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Well you've got guys in these showcase game taking 20 FGAs and ball stopping on offense. In practice there's no one to impress but the coaches and the other players on the court - so you just play.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I think if Randolph stays, it wouldn't be the end of the world, more minutes for Doutrieve and Armstrong. Doutrieve if he returns, will be here for a couple of years as will Armstrong. Being given minutes now when they don't have the shoulder the weight of the team is beneficial down the road when they do have to step up and carry the team. We've already seen recently what happens when this doesn't happen. Akot, Randolph, Lee, weren't given meaningful mins on the Ayton team and when they had to step up they had no experience to do it.

At the end of they, Randolph returning is for the best of the team imo. But him leaving could potentially be more beneficial to future teams, especially when it looks like we're not landing the big 5*s this year to save the team. What would suck is for Miller to bring in a one year grad transfer who won't be as good in Power 5 conference play (most never are) and sets back development for players who'll have to lead the team in a year.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

NYCat wrote:I think if Randolph stays, it wouldn't be the end of the world, more minutes for Doutrieve and Armstrong. Doutrieve if he returns, will be here for a couple of years as will Armstrong. Being given minutes now when they don't have the shoulder the weight of the team is beneficial down the road when they do have to step up and carry the team. We've already seen recently what happens when this doesn't happen. Akot, Randolph, Lee, weren't given meaningful mins on the Ayton team and when they had to step up they had no experience to do it.

At the end of they, Randolph returning is for the best of the team imo. But him leaving could potentially be more beneficial to future teams, especially when it looks like we're not landing the big 5*s this year to save the team. What would suck is for Miller to bring in a one year grad transfer who won't be as good in a Power 5 conference play and sets back development for players who'll have to lead the team in a year.
I'm with you on this in some respects, but I also think Randolph was really atrocious last year, so I have zero issues swapping Hazzard for him and moving forward next year without him. I think Hazzard would be a solid 3rd guard that can play 15-20 mins a game, provide nice floor spacing, decent defense, etc. Not sure I can say the same about Randolph.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

goslingswagg wrote: I'm with you on this in some respects, but I also think Randolph was really atrocious last year, so I have zero issues swapping Hazzard for him and moving forward next year without him. I think Hazzard would be a solid 3rd guard that can play 15-20 mins a game, provide nice floor spacing, decent defense, etc. Not sure I can say the same about Randolph.
First thing I'll say is I don't trust Williams & Jeter, I think they will always be battling with injuries/injury prone. That's the only reason Hazzard makes sense to me. if Williams misses significant time, he's a good backup.

If Williams is healthy, I don't see Hazzard getting more than 10mins per game. Last year Coleman averaged 30.8mpg, Williams 28.2mpg -- I'm going to assume Mannion is better and a sophomore Williams are also better. Barcello averaged 9.6mpg. That will result in similar MPG if not more for Mannion & Williams, maybe he trusts Hazzard out there more and gets more mins than Barcello. Why should Hazzard occupy 15-20 mins that could go to rotational wings or guys who can play more than one position. Not having Mannion or Williams on the floor for more than 10 mins would be a crime.

We all know Sean will only go 7-8 deep. The first 5 are obvious. The 6th & 7th players will be posts most likely. The 8th has to be a wing/guard who can play multiple positions (SG/SF), I don't see how you can find 15-20 mins for a 3rd option who can only play at one position. There's not enough minutes.

Again if this is about a major concern about Williams' being injury prone or the past injuries negatively affecting him going forward, Hazzard makes sense. If not, I don't see carving out major mins for him. I'm sorry but he's not coming to Arizona and shooting 40% from 3, he's just not, if he does in the limited mins available the quantity taken wouldn't be enough.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Someone close to CSM needs to call JET.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'm torn. We need reliable three point shooting. We need toughness as the point of attack. Hazzard offers those things. But I'm very reluctant to accept that a sub-6 foot volume three point shooting grad transfer is the answer for next year.

If Hazzard's role next year is just "compete in practice, play ten minutes, give us a different look - catch and shoot reliably and don't turn the ball over" ...yeah I think that works. Anything beyond that means something has gone wrong. Then again... we need three point shooters. I'm torn.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

YoDeFoe wrote:I'm torn. We need reliable three point shooting. We need toughness as the point of attack. Hazzard offers those things. But I'm very reluctant to accept that a sub-6 foot volume three point shooting grad transfer is the answer for next year.

If Hazzard's role next year is just "compete in practice, play ten minutes, give us a different look - catch and shoot reliably and don't turn the ball over" ...yeah I think that works. Anything beyond that means something has gone wrong. Then again... we need three point shooters. I'm torn.
I think barring a Bwill injury, his role will be similar to that (though I’m guessing 15 mins as opposed to 10). And I like that. Essentially a rich man’s Barcello. Confidence, toughness, shooting - all very valuable skills we lacked last year but should have this upcoming year in spades.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Classic Wilner
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Classic Wilner
Must be a slow news day.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wilner just loves us.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

I like Arizona's chances at getting the "best case scenario".
Mike Luke's burner account.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Wilner just loves us.
He authored an article saying our program might blow up this week. A fan responds saying they don't think that happens and he flips it into our fans being myopic.

People don't all share your opinion, bruh.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Look, I'm going to sell you this lotto ticket. It cost a buck, there's a chance it's worth $100m - so let's just split the difference and call it a $50m sale price. What do you say?

Will Wade just got reinstated, USC is similarly accused as Arizona, and yet we're supposed to be a coin flip from firing Miller?
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Look, I'm going to sell you this lotto ticket. It cost a buck, there's a chance it's worth $100m - so let's just split the difference and call it a $50m sale price. What do you say?
Is this a metaphor for how Adidas recruited KU players in exchange for potential shoe contracts in the future?

Or are you Michael Avenatti trying to raise money for legal defense?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Wilner just loves us.
He authored an article saying our program might blow up this week. A fan responds saying they don't think that happens and he flips it into our fans being myopic.

The “even for Arizona fans” dig was telling. Surprised he didn’t follow it up with more begging for someone to subscribe to his newsletter.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wilner tries to prove too hard that he doesn't have any Arizona allegiance since he used to be a beat reporter for the Tucson Citizen.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Would Wilner accept a $1000 bet, getting 10-1 odds that Miller stays at Arizona? He acts as though this is a 50/50 proposition.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

zonagrad wrote:He acts as though this is a 50/50 proposition.
with a 10% chance of that
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Still finalizing St. John's at the Warriors arena.
Some details from the Nevada side, I'll assume some of the details are similar to Arizona's. Guess the event has something to do with the HoF
The Nevada-Saint Mary's game will be one of multiple college contests played at Chase Center. The other game(s) are unknown, although the contract does say, "if another opponent is available that is more desired to both schools, the BHOF, UN and Saint Mary's College can mutually agree upon a change of opponent for both schools. In any scenario, both UN and Saint Mary's College will participate in this event."

Per the contract, Nevada will get 75 complimentary tickets located in a premium seating section. Nevada will get a payment of $15,000 to play in the game that due between Dec. 22, 2019 and Jan. 22, 2020. All revenue from the game will go to the Basketball Hall of Fame and Chase Center. Nevada would owe $150,000 if it failed to participate in the event
Also, maybe Arizona hopefully gets an invite to this event since Lute is being inducted again
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I'm worried St. John's bails out because it still doesn't have a head coach.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote:I'm worried St. John's bails out because it still doesn't have a head coach.
Without Mullin as their head coach they certainly has lost their allure from a Warriors stand point.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
zonagrad wrote:He acts as though this is a 50/50 proposition.
with a 10% chance of that
Wilner is my bae
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Wilner just loves us.

Convenient
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Fuck that dick ass bitch. Hated him when he was in Tucson. Such an asshair
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Looks like we added Hazzard. Not sure how he adds anything to next years team, but he is a practice body.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

gronk4heisman wrote:Looks like we added Hazzard. Not sure how he adds anything to next years team, but he is a practice body.
He's a dog of a defender, a reliable and willing three point shooter, and he takes care of the ball. Intangibles are high.

This is a very good add for us, and it took me some time to come around to that conclusion after knee-jerking "please no more tiny grad transfer gunners."
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

YoDeFoe wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:Looks like we added Hazzard. Not sure how he adds anything to next years team, but he is a practice body.
He's a dog of a defender, a reliable and willing three point shooter, and he takes care of the ball. Intangibles are high.

This is a very good add for us, and it took me some time to come around to that conclusion after knee-jerking "please no more tiny grad tranfer gunners."
Agree to disagree, I will have to wait and see but I do not currently see him as any more than a shorter Jacob. I can just pray he does not take any minutes from someone like Doutrive.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

more, more, more of the same - same same same same

gonna nap
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

gronk4heisman wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

This is a very good add for us, and it took me some time to come around to that conclusion after knee-jerking "please no more tiny grad tranfer gunners."
Agree to disagree, I will have to wait and see but I do not currently see him as any more than a shorter Jacob. I can just pray he does not take any minutes from someone like Doutrive.
I'm not trying to be rude, but if you can't see that he's a better player than his brother then you're not trying at all (or worse).
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

gronk4heisman wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

I not convinced Jacob would have averaged 12/game at UC Irvine. He was walk-on material. When he did get minutes he looked and played like a walk-on.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

Having seen him play live a twice times this year I can tell you he is much better then his brother. Very well built, quick, has a nice shot, looks tough, and appeared to be a good leader

I think its a good pick up. He learned from a good tough coach and think he will be a good bench addition to us. I do not see him being a major difference maker but good, older player
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

YoDeFoe wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

I'm not trying to be rude, but if you can't see that he's a better player than his brother then you're not trying at all (or worse).
Jacob was ranked 310 in his class: https://247sports.com/Player/Max-Hazzar ... ool-47342/" target="_blank

Max was 315 in his class: https://247sports.com/Player/Max-Hazzar ... ool-47342/" target="_blank

They are more alike then you think, just choose to go down different paths.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

gronk4heisman wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:Agree to disagree, I will have to wait and see but I do not currently see him as any more than a shorter Jacob. I can just pray he does not take any minutes from someone like Doutrive.
Jacob was ranked 310 in his class: https://247sports.com/Player/Max-Hazzar ... ool-47342/" target="_blank

Max was 315 in his class: https://247sports.com/Player/Max-Hazzar ... ool-47342/" target="_blank

This is an inane argument. One chose to accept one of their many D1 offers, the other chose to walk-on at a D1 program. 247 didn't even rate Jacob (you're referencing the "composite"). And finally: we're not comparing who these players were as seniors in high school. Max has played 2,300 minutes of D1 ball. He's scored nearly a thousand points. And notably: he was the MVP of the Big West tournament last year and led his team to their first NCAA tournament win. Those things actually happened for Max, and they matter to his growth and speak to his quality as a player.

Please feel free to wait and see.

To be sure this doesn't swing too far in the other direction: I'm forecasting that he'll be a competitor in practice, a bench contributor in function, and insurance for Williams in case of health issues. Not saying he's going to rock our world.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

gronk4heisman wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

What was Alex Barcello's ranking? What was PJC's ranking?

Heck, what was Damian Lillard's ranking? Was he ranked higher than Gabe York?

These rankings just aren't reliable. Maybe they're helpful in discerning if Zion Williams is the best in the country. But after that, these rankings seem terribly unreliable.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

If he can be a stretch 4 and 5, that'd be cool
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Goddamn Zeke - you're giving me hope
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

He’s the one I’m really exited to see.

All of the new guys for sure, but Zeke channels a bit of Bash and Rawle.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I’m telling you, guys: our class is better than Duke’s.