Ban Bill Walton Petition

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Ban Bill Walton Petition

Post by Merkin »

They just try to hard to be Walton and Pasch. They need to quit trying so hard and just let it flow naturally. It's like TV actors like George Constanza. They just end up being caricatures of themselves.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Walton highlight: “Now what kind of defense will the Trojans try now...

... The Trojans are all about protection!!!”

Top that!!! Any other sports commentator would be on the ropes for that....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

pc in NM wrote:Walton highlight: “Now what kind of defense will the Trojans try now...

... The Trojans are all about protection!!!”

Top that!!! Any other sports commentator would be on the ropes for that....
He followed it up with another innuendo. I can’t remember what it was but maybe it referenced a hole in your defense or leaky condom? That was the best part of the broadcast. The repeated “I told you” joke was next level down dad joke, though.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Bill Walton and Richard Jefferson on the AZ/UCLA broadcast next week. Should be good!
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

Tonight was the most annoying that Walton has ever been, IMO. He must have used his Utomi joke about a dozen times.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I feel like he is worse on ESPN.
They broadcast spends so much time on stuff other than game.

Does anyone know why the refs stopped the game for a review in second half?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I agree, he's much more tolerable on Pac 12. ESPN must ask him to play it up for ratings.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Postmaster wrote:I feel like he is worse on ESPN.
They broadcast spends so much time on stuff other than game.

Does anyone know why the refs stopped the game for a review in second half?
Almost anything was BETTER to attend to than what was happening on that basketball court last night...

... even Bill Walton!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Robert A Booey wrote:Tonight was the most annoying that Walton has ever been, IMO. He must have used his Utomi joke about a dozen times.
Especially when they brought that Schmidt(sp?) guy on. Talked to him for 10 minutes or so and didn't even talk about the game in progress.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

That was the most intolerable I have ever been watching a Bill Walton game. The game was bad enough to watch, but to hear his self righteousness to anything but about the basketball game caused me to about blow a fuse. My wife and daughter were screaming louder than I. Even though we did not have radio to listen to, we just muted the TV for about 20 minutes until about the last five minutes. Of course by then....
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

So over him. I wish you would say something drastically inappropriate so you get banned Bill Walton
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

He's ADORABLE!!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

How about no. Walton/Pasch are only entertaining during blowouts. Now they just try too hard to be Walton/Pasch.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Bill Walton is the best. No joke.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

azgreg wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:38 pm
It is real...

https://kareem.substack.com/

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Never even heard of it.

Substack is a U.S. based web platform that offers publication, payment, analytics, and design infrastructure to enable subscription newsletters. It enables authors to deliver digital newsletters to subscribers directly.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

:lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

I love Bill during a blowout. I feel like I learned a lot tonight.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:28 pm I love Bill during a blowout. I feel like I learned a lot tonight.
The last thing I wanted entering the game last nite was for Big Bill to be focused for the whole game... :lol:

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bill just needs to shut up about the homeless in San Diego. What has he done to help it but complain about it? Sounds like a RWNJ.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Merkin wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:40 pm Bill just needs to shut up about the homeless in San Diego. What has he done to help it but complain about it? Sounds like a RWNJ.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ne ... e-personal
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

GlobalCat wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:52 pm
Merkin wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:40 pm Bill just needs to shut up about the homeless in San Diego. What has he done to help it but complain about it? Sounds like a RWNJ.
Walton pointed to some of the steps he has taken to fortify his home. Barbed wire has been added to a backyard fence and the height has been raised at a metal, spiked fence in the front

Paranoia will destroy ya.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Merkin wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:10 pm
Walton pointed to some of the steps he has taken to fortify his home. Barbed wire has been added to a backyard fence and the height has been raised at a metal, spiked fence in the front

gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

What do you do when homeless people make your house not safe for your family? Should you be forced to live in fear or move out of a place you have called home for years?

My sister lived on the outskirts of downtown Portland and had to move because homeless people made it unsafe for her as a female (car break ins weekly, mattresses on front lawn of people setting up shop, majority of business that made it desirable shuttering up, etc.). Maybe he is not doing enough to address the root of the problem, but to say that anyone who expresses concerns with the problem is a RWNJ is a far reach. Last time my family was in Portland and made the mistake of staying downtown my wife and our son were followed by a homeless man with a machete for 4 blocks before I met up with her and he turned completely around. This was 6 years ago and from what I have heard it has gotten much worse since then. It is a huge issue in many cities and at the very least Bill bringing it up brings more publication to the situation.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:02 am

What do you do when homeless people make your house not safe for your family? Should you be forced to live in fear or move out of a place you have called home for years?

My sister lived on the outskirts of downtown Portland and had to move because homeless people made it unsafe for her as a female (car break ins weekly, mattresses on front lawn of people setting up shop, majority of business that made it desirable shuttering up, etc.). Maybe he is not doing enough to address the root of the problem, but to say that anyone who expresses concerns with the problem is a RWNJ is a far reach. Last time my family was in Portland and made the mistake of staying downtown my wife and our son were followed by a homeless man with a machete for 4 blocks before I met up with her and he turned completely around. This was 6 years ago and from what I have heard it has gotten much worse since then. It is a huge issue in many cities and at the very least Bill bringing it up brings more publication to the situation.
My brother and his partner live in Portland. It's a total cluster fuck with no good solution as far as I can tell. Bald complaint is not a solution, but neither is it inaccurate.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not saying SD doesn't have a homeless problem. It's the worst I have ever seen. I have a son living down there and my daughter used to live there too so we visit often.

My son has lived in 5 different areas, including downtown and not once have I had an issue with a homeless person and don't think he ever has either.

Just that Bill tends to express hyperbole on just about every subject, so I always takes what he has to say with a grain of salt.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I was in San Diego a few years ago and the homeless were catching Hepatitis & TB. I was in Portland about 6 months ago and it was horrible. Homeless everywhere and the businesses were really paying the price. My friend is married to a woman from Lithuania and she was terrified and scared for her safety. Another friend went a couple of weeks later and the homeless were shutting down streets unless you paid them to drive thru. They called the police and they said there was nothing they could do.

It was crazy to see rv's just parked along the street with people permanently living in them. I've never seen anything like it. Here in Boise they've passed laws that you can have trailers and rv's along the street but it's a $1000/day fine to live in them. Portland will need to do something similar to clean up the streets or else that town is going to wither and die.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

IMNSHO, criminalizing homelessness will not solve anything.

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Upper vs. Lower boards ladies and gentlemen...
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Needed a Wooden/UCLA/Conference of Champions reference, but otherwise pretty spot on.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I would never think Walton would be called a RWNJ.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I can't tell if Walton is now playing a parody of himself when he's on TV or if this is just him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:02 pm I can't tell if Walton is now playing a parody of himself when he's on TV or if this is just him.
Walton and Pasch last season tried too hard to be Walton and Pasch and became caricatures of themselves. This season they aren't too bad.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:22 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:02 pm I can't tell if Walton is now playing a parody of himself when he's on TV or if this is just him.
Walton and Pasch last season tried too hard to be Walton and Pasch and became caricatures of themselves. This season they aren't too bad.
I think it all depends on if Big Bill is bored - poor basketball and lop-sided games bore him pretty quickly!!!

― Kinky Friedman
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

pc in NM wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:57 am
Merkin wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:22 pm
I think it all depends on if Big Bill is bored - poor basketball and lop-sided games bore him pretty quickly!!!
So do tight exciting games.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

My biggest Walton wish is for him to somehow get on a rant about Lute being the best coach in the history of the Pac, if not the sport. And for it to happen while ucla's shooting FTs.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:09 pm My biggest Walton wish is for him to somehow get on a rant about Lute being the best coach in the history of the Pac, if not the sport. And for it to happen while ucla's shooting FTs.
Have you ever listened to Big Bill? It’s Wooden, Duh!!

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Walton should talk about Sam Gilbert.

Like Tarkanian said about UCLA then: "The only team with a higher payroll was the Lakers."

Bobby Knight: "I don't respect Wooden, because he allowed Sam Gilbert to do whatever it took to recruit kids. And one time he told me, he said, 'I just didn't know how to deal with Sam Gilbert.' And I'm saying to myself, 'I damn sure could have dealt with him.'"
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:36 pm Walton should talk about Sam Gilbert.

Like Tarkanian said about UCLA then: "The only team with a higher payroll was the Lakers."

Bobby Knight: "I don't respect Wooden, because he allowed Sam Gilbert to do whatever it took to recruit kids. And one time he told me, he said, 'I just didn't know how to deal with Sam Gilbert.' And I'm saying to myself, 'I damn sure could have dealt with him.'"
I would take Wooden over Knight, on any measure of a coach or a man, 100 times out of 100…

… And, so would Lute Olson!

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

pc in NM wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:16 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:09 pm My biggest Walton wish is for him to somehow get on a rant about Lute being the best coach in the history of the Pac, if not the sport. And for it to happen while ucla's shooting FTs.
I know you'd THINK he'd say Wooden, but Bill has a bad memory and a penchant for saying the most outlandish shit you've ever heard. I'm pretty sure I've heard him say Boogie Ellis is one of the "greatest guards in Pac 12 history." And that Oregon is the Pac's premier basketball program. I'm sure he's at one time or another called Lute Olson the greatest coach in the history of basketball. Would be very "on brand" for Big Red.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:56 pm
pc in NM wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:16 pm
I know you'd THINK he'd say Wooden, but Bill has a bad memory and a penchant for saying the most outlandish shit you've ever heard. I'm pretty sure I've heard him say Boogie Ellis is one of the "greatest guards in Pac 12 history." And that Oregon is the Pac's premier basketball program. I'm sure he's at one time or another called Lute Olson the greatest coach in the history of basketball. Would be very "on brand" for Big Red.
Bill Walton worships John Wooden! Period. End of story.

You just don’t understand Dead Heads, I guess! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

― Kinky Friedman
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

"PLEASE"

Best quote from last night:

"They're like the Colorado River flowing past Vulcan's Anvil on the way to Lava Falls. "
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The only thing of note I picked up was that Pete Maravich would have averaged 57 points a game if they had a 3 point line back then.

Pistol sure was fun to watch.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

There is a lot of hype that his scoring record might be broken. It only took the three point line and approximately 2 seasons worth of games. He was unbelievable. His handles were as good as his shot. That and the floppy hair made for an unforgettable player.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Antoine also benefited by getting 50% more points on some of his shots. Just take his career three's and change them to two's and tell me how close he would be. No one is dishing on Antoine.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Nobody will touch Pistol’s average per game.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Bill has been bad tonight. Lot of mixing up the two teams. Talking about “great defense” as a guy gets easily scored on. Like his eyes and his brains aren’t connected.