Allonzo Trier

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Re: Allonzo Trier

Post by Alieberman »

All year I could never tell where Zo was emotionally. Never saw any real emotion from him. Good or bad. It just never seemed like he really wanted to be here.

I don't think he should be going pro yet but I'm not sure he really wants to be here and that's a problem
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

If Zo leaves it will be an absolute joke. No way in hell he is ready. Simple as that.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Give trier a copy of Damons Stoudimire story and let him make his decision.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Wouldnt be so drastic with one of the worst one and dones. Trier had a great freshman year. Definitely ended it on a sour note but you can say that about pretty much everyone tonight absent one player. And really, who can blame a freshman when the upperclassmen he looks up to do the same thing? Hero ball, bad D, lack of hustle and effort, check. Thats all around him. Hell, there were a few games this year where despite all that, Zo was the one who put the team on his back and willed/shot us to victories.

Im not gonna lose sleep if he leaves, but i have a feeling we would be talking about Zo in a completely different light right now if he had better guys around him.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Alieberman wrote:All year I could never tell where Zo was emotionally. Never saw any real emotion from him. Good or bad. It just never seemed like he really wanted to be here.
The mason kid from Yale had very little emotional throughout the game. But was the clear leader. Not sure if this is Trier or not, but it's a possibility that is just the way he is.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

rgdeuce wrote: Trier had a great freshman year.
A great Freshman year usually includes things like PAC regular season title, possibly a PAC tourney title, an elite eight plus...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

OSUCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:All year I could never tell where Zo was emotionally. Never saw any real emotion from him. Good or bad. It just never seemed like he really wanted to be here.
The mason kid from Yale had very little emotional throughout the game. But was the clear leader. Not sure if this is Trier or not, but it's a possibility that is just the way he is.
I watched that Yale game and it was the first time I saw Mason. You are exactly right. Not emotional but he was absolutely the leader on that team. He was also the one diving for every loose ball and the rest of his teammates followed his lead
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Come on SC, not many freshmen come in and average 15 a game on crazy efficiency like Trier has, all while missing a big chunk of the season due to a broken shooting hand. Thats a great year for a freshman. He is far from the only person to blame for this season and if a team is blaming a freshman who isnt even a top 10 recruit for not getting all those things, then there are bigger problems.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

I'm sure he's pissed about the game but that seems like a pretty shitty response.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Ya, not sure if Trier ever hit the deck for a ball this season.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I don't think he should be going pro yet but I'm not sure he really wants to be here and that's a problem
When he was on the bench with his injury he looked liked he was having a blast. I can understand the difficulty reading him, but I think he is a quiet hard working kid.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

SCCats wrote:
rgdeuce wrote: Trier had a great freshman year.
A great Freshman year usually includes things like PAC regular season title, possibly a PAC tourney title, an elite eight plus...
100% incorrect. Trier had one hell of a freshman year. If you think any of this is his fault, I refer you to RG's post which is spot on.

None of that means he should leave. He isn't ready for the NBA, and that's a fact. I just hope he realizes it and is patient because we need some goddamned experience next year.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Best offensive player Arizona has had since probably DWill. Just a pure scorer. But he's undersized, unskilled for a SG in the NBA. And he's definitely not a Pg in the association. Maybe at best he could be a serviceable Combo guard. His age is also a problem.

Next year class is so strong that his stock could be weaker, so I wouldn't be shocked if he still bolted.
az91

Post by az91 »

FightWildcatsFight wrote: I'm sure he's pissed about the game but that seems like a pretty shitty response.
I think he is gone. He probably feels like he has nothing to gain by coming back.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

FightWildcatsFight wrote: I'm sure he's pissed about the game but that seems like a pretty shitty response.
you can't teach maturity
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

CalStateTempe wrote:
you can't teach maturity
I actually think it was the best response he could have had. Why on earth would he want to publicly speculate about his future with the team literally minutes after the season ended. Was a crap interview question if anything.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I think Trier played himself out of the second round last night.

The final insult was getting 2 shots blocked in the last 90 seconds.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
you can't teach maturity
I actually think it was the best response he could have had. Why on earth would he want to publicly speculate about his future with the team literally minutes after the season ended. Was a crap interview question if anything.
I agree. Any answer but that would have been poorly considered, come with terrible timing and created more issues than it solved. Sometimes saying nothing is best. This is 100% one of those times.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

What's wrong with saying "I haven't made up my mind."? "No comment" implies something else.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He can still declare and come back with the new rules unlimited times.

He was the 3rd best guard on the floor last night, and only because York and KA were awful.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:What's wrong with saying "I haven't made up my mind."? "No comment" implies something else.
For me, "no comment" implies that this is not the time to discuss whether he is gonna declare. I am ok with that because that was not the time to discuss that.

Edit: he should not claim he hasn't made up his mind because he probably does know what he wants to do and the same fans mad about no comment would call him a liar if he tests the waters tomorrow.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Got no issue with the no comment either. It could have been done more eloquently in more words, but after u get ur ass beat and have a poor individual game, maybe u arent in the mood? He could have been pissed at the timing of the question too
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:What's wrong with saying "I haven't made up my mind."? "No comment" implies something else.
For me, "no comment" implies that this is not the time to discuss whether he is gonna declare. I am ok with that because that was not the time to discuss that.

Edit: he should not claim he hasn't made up his mind because he probably does know what he wants to do and the same fans mad about no comment would call him a liar if he tests the waters tomorrow.
Spice,

There is no doubt in my mind that AT wants to go to the NBA this year in the worst way. But he will not make a final roster cut at this stage of his development IMO.

His body language has leaving written all over it. But he's not stupid either. He knows deep down inside that he is not ready this year, just as about 99% of the posters here have already said.

Sure he's likely good enough to get a gig overseas for pretty good money.

I think he's going to have a gut wrenching few months thinking about this and my money is on "damn the torpedoes" I'm going anyway.

Of course I believe in free will and if a illogical decision is going to be made than be ready to live with the consequences of reality biting you in the ass.

If AT closest handlers and insiders are not talking to him about the D-league then they are doing this kid a huge injustice.

I'm not down on the kid at all, but I do believe in keeping it real even in-light of the blow-back it might engender.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

I don't think Trier is ready. But it's not because of a lack of leadership or maturity. I think the kid was just fine in those departments. "No comment" is fine for him to say. Its the same thing as saying he hasnt decided....maybe even better because he was annoyed they lost.

Disagree w people saying he doesnt have a desire to be here. Dude played out the rest of a game with a broken hand. I honestly think he's still a very raw player. He tried to carry the team on his back last night. He made some awful shots. But I believe that's just a freshman in a big game trying to push too much.

Coming back next year with a great supporting cast will allow him to showcase his skills more and develop as a player. He will learn to let the game come to him. I just hope he gets the right advice. I would love to have Trier back next year and it's a win-win for him and U of A if he's back.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

He gone.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Irish27 wrote:He gone.

4 high schools in 4 years, no surprise. Won't miss him, but wish him all the best.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Merkin wrote:

4 high schools in 4 years, no surprise. Won't miss him, but wish him all the best.
Pretty sure we will miss him if JJ doesn't come here. Not miss him like TJ, but miss him like "man it would've helped if Trier stayed"
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Merkin wrote:

Really? Won't miss him? Wow we differ there greatly.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Why is everyone assuming he's gone? He's given no indication of that, and his performance over the last month has not improved his draft status.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Merkin wrote:

No one will be missed more than Zeus. Cats with Allen/PJC/Trier/York had pretty poor perimeter defense. Dude was always in position defensively and no one could set a better high screen. Ristic is way to slow, and Comanche is still raw, but will be very good.

Next missed will be Anderson. An automatic double double every night. No one next year can do that. Smith if would have been healthy but it's going to take him a long time to get in playing shape. Lauri is just a Euro freshman.

Trier is good, but but it's much harder to find solid post players. Not even looking at incoming freshmen, but Allen would be a decent 2G if he had a PG.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Merkin wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Merkin wrote:

No one will be missed more than Zeus. Cats with Allen/PJC/Trier/York had pretty poor perimeter defense. Dude was always in position defensively and no one could set a better high screen. Ristic is way to slow, and Comanche is still raw, but will be very good.

Next missed will be Anderson. An automatic double double every night. No one next year can do that. Smith if would have been healthy but it's going to take him a long time to get in playing shape. Lauri is just a Euro freshman.

Trier is good, but but it's much harder to find solid post players. Not even looking at incoming freshmen, but Allen would be a decent 2G if he had a PG.
I didn't say I'll miss him more than Zeus. And that's not at all what you said in your first post. You simply said you won't miss Zo. I think having a proven scorer with a year in the system will be HUGE for next season with all of the youth we will have. We know Zo can be a go-to offensive option, and will be MUCH better in that role with York gone and another year in the system if he stays.

I think as long as we play Chance much more often than Ristic, and have LM and RS/JJ rotating at the 4, we will be just fine down low.

Now, if Ristic plays a lot, I think we are in huge trouble. It's impossible to play the pack line with a 5 that slow. Hell, we couldn't play it with Ryan Anderson at the 4 even when Zeus was next to him trying to cover his mistakes.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Ristic would be great on O and serviceable on D if we , ya know, ran a zone every once in a while. B

But yeah , Ristic trying to hedge and recover 25 feet from the basket is just a disaster on D.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

We should have the length and athleticism to be an elite defensive team next year. Also a lot of turnover and roster depth, so hopefully we get the buy in we need. And if not, the depth gives us options if dudes decide to take plays off on that end. All that said, if we have to bust out w a zone to protect Ristic, then Ristic needs to be on the bench and only come in during favorable matchups. Ristic has his limitations, but he could mask those a little just by using his head. Plus if we have four quality defenders around him (and better perimiter defenders), that will make his life a little easier. Give me Comanche, we should have plenty of offense. And Ristic's offense was a nonfactor once teams started doubling/ he started facing better quality bigs. He has a LOT of work to do if he wants to start next year. Both ends
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

DT doesn't or can't play hard enough on defense. Very soft and weak inside the paint..as opposed to Zeus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Merkin wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I didn't say I'll miss him more than Zeus. And that's not at all what you said in your first post. You simply said you won't miss Zo. I think having a proven scorer with a year in the system will be HUGE for next season with all of the youth we will have. We know Zo can be a go-to offensive option, and will be MUCH better in that role with York gone and another year in the system if he stays.

I think as long as we play Chance much more often than Ristic, and have LM and RS/JJ rotating at the 4, we will be just fine down low.

Now, if Ristic plays a lot, I think we are in huge trouble. It's impossible to play the pack line with a 5 that slow. Hell, we couldn't play it with Ryan Anderson at the 4 even when Zeus was next to him trying to cover his mistakes.
I would prefer of course of Trier stays. Better for his long term career.

Haven't heard anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ristic goes back to Serbia. The US game is just too fast for him.

Won't miss him either. :)

This is just a forgettable team compared to the last few seasons.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Leaving early for Europe is interesting and I didnt think of it until one of Jmark or TucsonClip brought it up a couple weeks back. Thats essentially giving up, no? Despite all his physical limitations, I still think he can be an excellent college player and having at least a shot at getting a chance to audition for the next level (not as big on him being a pro prospect as some others). There are plenty of college and pro players who have limitations, but they excel because they know those limitations and find ways to mitigate them and play to their strengths.

He has length and a solid frame, so be in good position, whether your man has the ball or not, to play to those strengths, rather than being out of position and having to rely on athleticism you dont have to recover and contest/stand tall w your hands up. On offense, this means learning how to go straight up with the ball when you have length over almost anyone, or going straight into your move(s) right off the catch, rather than waiting and waiting for your defender to have time to adjust his position and "think" and giving plenty of time for the double to come. Part of me thinks he may just a slower, deliberate thinker, but more experience and game reps allows him to see more to where instincts just take over. Two full years left, no reason to give up. His footwork and touch around the rim are just too damn special in my opinion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Too bad Ristic lost his touch half way thru the season. I would gladly have him back if he can contribute on the offensive end. Without his offense, he is just a black hole.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My dad said he listened to the Brian Jeffries pre-game show a few weeks back. Jeffries said that Zeus so dominated Ristic in practices "Deuce" lost all his confidence. Next year Zeus won't be around and Comanche isn't near as skilled yet, so maybe Ristic's confidence will return.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

interesting. Zeus missed time w the one injury and wasnt practicing before the season started with the other, but Zeus had him all of last year and in the time between those injuries. Maybe Zeus saw him shining while he was gone and went extra hard on him when he got back, fueled by message boards saying Dus was better :lol: ,Kevin Oneil's statement, or him just saying F that, this is my position. I can see him feeling threatened by how Dus was playing in his absence and him wanting to remind Dus who the alpha lion was. I want to say its a huge concern if it is indeed true, cuz thats how u get better and meaner, but not everyone is wired the same.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Damn, I miss Zeus already!
az91

Post by az91 »

Merkin wrote:

He is a basketball vagabond. Going the international route, he will be able to live and play in all sorts of locations during the course of the year. He had a pretty good year, but he is definitely leaving on a bit of a sour note. At least it is not as sour as the departure of Jerret.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/" target="_blank

Nowhere to be found. AT will play in the pros, just not sure the NBA is ready to hire him.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Beachcat97 wrote:http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

Nowhere to be found. AT will play in the pros, just not sure the NBA is ready to hire him.
The poor showing in the tournament killed his draft stock. Im pretty sure he will be back. He has to realize that he should have better people around him this year. That, combined with another chance to showcase what he can do, will improve his draft position for next year. It's a no brainer.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not even top 20 freshmen,

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/All ... ier-70279/

Pick: 35 in 2017 Mock Draft
Rank 61 in Top 100 Prospects
Rank 21 in NCAA Freshmen
RSCI: 12
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

billk78 wrote:

The poor showing in the tournament killed his draft stock. Im pretty sure he will be back. He has to realize that he should have better people around him this year. That, combined with another chance to showcase what he can do, will improve his draft position for next year. It's a no brainer.
That's what I would think too. But then, Grant Jerrett...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Don't want him back if its going to be AT audition year at the expense of Miller Team ball.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Next year's draft is going to be loaded.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This thread is sort of giving the vibe that AT is not a team guy and that he's eager to get to the pros. I'm not sure where this is coming from. He seemed pretty invested in AZ this year.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Alonso decides to walk away after big crash of season.

Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Beachcat97 wrote:This thread is sort of giving the vibe that AT is not a team guy and that he's eager to get to the pros. I'm not sure where this is coming from. He seemed pretty invested in AZ this year.

It's coming from the board members making uninformed comments about Zo. The only thing he's said is 'No Comment' . The rest is the knee jerk reactions of all the chicken littles running around this place.

And comparing him to Grant Jarret is just ignorant for lack of a better word.