The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

zonagrad

Re: Next year...2019-20

Post by zonagrad »

Chicat wrote:So Dylan Smith isn’t going anywhere....
Dylan, please put in the work to increase your basketball IQ. Thank you.
By your 5th season in college basketball if you don't have the IQ, then it isn't happening.

I'll judge the talent and progress of our freshmen class by the amount of minutes Smith gets. If he's starting, then that's a major red flag. If he's first or second or third off the bench, that's worrisome. If he's getting garbage-time minutes with the walk-ons, then that's a very good sign.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

At this point, I'm just hoping Smith's age and maturity have a positive impact on the bench. Don't think it makes much sense to expect much from him on the court.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:At this point, I'm just hoping Smith's age and maturity have a positive impact on the bench. Don't think it makes much sense to expect much from him on the court.
This is what I'd like from Dylan. 10-15 mpg of defense, rebounding, shooting open, rhythm 3's and NOTHING ELSE.

No dribbling. No driving to the basket. 3, D, rebounds and stop there.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:At this point, I'm just hoping Smith's age and maturity have a positive impact on the bench. Don't think it makes much sense to expect much from him on the court.
This is what I'd like from Dylan. 10-15 mpg of defense, rebounding, shooting open, rhythm 3's and NOTHING ELSE.

I have felt so anti-Smith for the past couple months because he is holding a scholarship that I would much rather be going to Brown. All that said, I look at this team and the one issue I still feel is there is no proven defender other than Smith to guard the perimeter. I'm not saying he is even remotely close to some of the lock-down players we have had: Allen, Nick, TJ, Rondae, Gordon, etc.

I understand Green is supposed to be the athletic defensive stopper that this team needs because of all his intangibles and what he has shown in high school, I hope and really do think that he will be. But, we have had plenty of other recruits come in who fit that bill and never panned out. Hell, two years ago everyone thought Akot was to be groomed as our new go-to defensive stopper, that dude fit the archetype as well as anyone.

Even if Green is elite defensively. Miller's best teams didn't just have one good defensive player, 2013-14 had TJ, Nick, Gordon, Kaleb, Rondae.... 2014-15 had TJ, Kaleb and an absolute terror in Rondae. Also Stanley and York were at the very least serviceable defenders.

The only players I can pretty comfortably say I think will play solid defense are Smith, Green and Chase. BWill and Ira have shown a lot of flashes but unless they make a pretty decent jump in their defense since last year, I can't say they are good defenders.
As much as I would trade away Smith's scholarship in a heartbeat for Brown, I think he will be a real positive to this team in one of it's potential weak spots.

Miller has much more talented players on the offensive side of the ball this year, I trust him to pull the plug on Dylan as soon as he becomes a liability on that end.
We probably only have 1 year of the Nico and Green show, lets not let it get derailed like some of the past years by not having at least a solid defensive team.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I know I'm addicted to Arizona basketball because I continue to click Zona Zealots links despite knowing that the 8th grade level writing will make me close the link by the second paragraph.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: This is what I'd like from Dylan. 10-15 mpg of defense, rebounding, shooting open, rhythm 3's and NOTHING ELSE.

I have felt so anti-Smith for the past couple months because he is holding a scholarship that I would much rather be going to Brown. All that said, I look at this team and the one issue I still feel is there is no proven defender other than Smith to guard the perimeter. I'm not saying he is even remotely close to some of the lock-down players we have had: Allen, Nick, TJ, Rondae, Gordon, etc.

[...]

Even if Green is elite defensively. Miller's best teams didn't just have one good defensive player, 2013-14 had TJ, Nick, Gordon, Kaleb, Rondae.... 2014-15 had TJ, Kaleb and an absolute terror in Rondae. Also Stanley and York were at the very least serviceable defenders.
Smith can't be a defensive stopper on the level of the guys you're listing, because he can't get the minutes to join that group. "Can't" as in "my soul can't handle that version of reality."

I'm with Spiff - 10-15min/g of 3&D and effort on the boards and literally nothing else. The ball shouldn't be in his hands for more than 2 seconds. In that role, he can open the offense as a spot up shooter and he can be an reliable player on the defensive side.
StickItInTheyFace

YoDeFoe wrote: Smith can't be a defensive stopper on the level of the guys you're listing, because he can't get the minutes to join that group. "Can't" as in "my soul can't handle that version of reality."

I'm with Spiff - 10-15min/g of 3&D and effort on the boards and literally nothing else. The ball shouldn't be in his hands for more than 2 seconds. In that role, he can open the offense as a spot up shooter and he can be an reliable player on the defensive side.
Totally agree, I just think the whole fan base has created this almost excessive dread of having him back for another year. Just wanted to point out that I think he does help in a pretty significant area.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote: Smith can't be a defensive stopper on the level of the guys you're listing, because he can't get the minutes to join that group. "Can't" as in "my soul can't handle that version of reality."

Totally agree, I just think the whole fan base has created this almost excessive dread of having him back for another year. Just wanted to point out that I think he does help in a pretty significant area.
Smith, like most of last year's team, got put in a situation where he was doing more than he should have been doing. He has some value as a solid defender and rebounder. When he has to be a major offensive option, that's when you start gnashing your teeth and wailing.

The role he played in 17-18 is a role he can contribute in next year. Having solid perimeter defenders is a good thing. Smith isn't a stopper, and I think Green will be better from Day 1 on D, but he is a solid guy who understands concepts and can do a good job.

If we face a team with a good wing scorer, I would not hesitate to platoon Green and Smith. Give Green 25-30 and Smith 10-15 on that opposing wing scorer.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Smith was the least efficient offensive player on the team last year, by a good margin.

* He had an 88 ORtg and a 8.3 PER (both worst on the team).
* He took as many shots as each of Jeter/BWill/JCole and produced 50% fewer points than each of those players.
* He is highly turnover prone - losing the ball 15 times fewer than JCole but on 95 fewer assists.
* He shot team lows of 44% at the rim and 21% on two point jumpers.

Some good stuff:

* He's a good defensive rebounder - ending the season in the mid teens in DReb%.
* His 35% 3pt shooting on the season includes a 40% conference clip on about 80 attempts (good sample size).
* 60% of his FGAs were three point attempts.

So... what Spiff said. He needs to only rebound, defend, and shoot spot up threes. His two point field goal percentage and turnover rates are among the worst that we've seen for rotation wings in the Miller era. He's Elliott Pitts with a longer wingspan.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Smith was the least efficient offensive player on the team last year, by a good margin.

* He had an 88 ORtg and a 8.3 PER (both worst on the team).
* He took as many shots as each of Jeter/BWill/JCole and produced 50% fewer points than each of those players.
* He is highly turnover prone - losing the ball 15 times fewer than JCole but on 95 fewer assists.
* He shot team lows of 44% at the rim and 21% on two point jumpers.

Some good stuff:

* He's a good defensive rebounder - ending the season in the mid teens in DReb%.
* His 35% 3pt shooting on the season includes a 40% conference clip on about 80 attempts (good sample size).
* 60% of his FGAs were three point attempts.

So... what Spiff said. He needs to only rebound, defend, and shoot spot up threes. His two point field goal percentage and turnover rates are among the worst that we've seen for rotation wings in the Miller era. He's Elliott Pitts with a longer wingspan.
I don't even understand how he could shoot 21% on 2's and 44% at the rim. That includes stuff like uncontested layups and dunks. His inability to finish going to the basket is the part of Dylan that just baffles me.

My biggest concern comes from turnovers and limitng the shots he tries. If he just shoots open shots and passes the ball horizontally, he can be ok. The second he tries to get closer to the rim with a dribble or pass my anus puckers.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:He's Elliott Pitts with a longer wingspan.
Let's clarify this further, he needs to play Elliott Pitts's role with a longer wingspan.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Let's clarify this further, he needs to play Elliott Pitts's role with a longer wingspan.
Less rape-y would be nice too.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah, got a little rape-y last time.
prh

Post by prh »

I want Smith playing absolutely ferocious defense....in practice. And no where else. I don't want him to play a single minute this year.

I was very hard on him last summer, because of his turnover rate and poor shooting. Not only did his shooting get worse (if you factor FT shooting), but despite a 67% increase in minutes, he had 1 less assist this last year than the year before. His turnover rate stayed astronomically high, especially considering he isn't a ball handler at all.

If he's playing 14 mpg this year (same as 2017-18), we are not making a FF. That is guaranteed. Play tough physical defense in practice and get our guys prepped for tournament basketball. But if he's getting real minutes we have a serious problem.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Less rape-y would be nice too.
Yes to Choo's clarification and :lol: to Lieberman's
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

prh wrote:If he's playing 14 mpg this year (same as 2017-18), we are not making a FF. That is guaranteed. Play tough physical defense in practice and get our guys prepped for tournament basketball. But if he's getting real minutes we have a serious problem.
This is a reality. I'm hoping he ends up with 8min/g. That's usually what 8th or 9th on the depth chart would get on a competitive Miller team.

1. Nico
2. Green
3. Jeter
4. Williams
5. Lee
6. Nnaji
7. Gettings
8. Hazzard
9. Smith
10. Armstrong

Let me know if anyone wants to move Smith higher up that list.

Another way to look at it: we've got 120 minutes to go among PG - SF... Nico, Josh, and BWill should take 90 or so. That leaves 30 for Hazzard, Armstrong, and Smith. Feel free to allocate as you like, but Hazzard hopefully deserves 15min/g and Armstrong is going to get some of the remaining 15 or fewer minutes.
StickItInTheyFace

YoDeFoe wrote: Another way to look at it: we've got 120 minutes to go among PG - SF... Nico, Josh, and BWill should take 90 or so. That leaves 30 for Hazzard, Armstrong, and Smith. Feel free to allocate as you like, but Hazzard hopefully deserves 15min/g and Armstrong is going to get some of the remaining 15 or fewer minutes.
Good way of looking at it, I cant imagine Smith gets too much more than 10. I think Hazzard will end up cannibalizing much of Terry's minutes. I also genuinely wonder what the over/under is for Barcello's shot attempts on the season? 30?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote: Another way to look at it: we've got 120 minutes to go among PG - SF... Nico, Josh, and BWill should take 90 or so. That leaves 30 for Hazzard, Armstrong, and Smith. Feel free to allocate as you like, but Hazzard hopefully deserves 15min/g and Armstrong is going to get some of the remaining 15 or fewer minutes.
Good way of looking at it, I cant imagine Smith gets too much more than 10. I think Hazzard will end up cannibalizing much of Terry's minutes. I also genuinely wonder what the over/under is for Barcello's shot attempts on the season? 30?
This made me legit laugh out loud and then sad as I realized I'd completely left Barcello out of the minutes equation. I personally can't judge Barcello because I was so high on him coming out of high school and his stock has been so low since then that I've just continued to hold out for an uptick.

What if he makes a leap his junior year and is a reliable 6'2" back-up ball handler, shooter, and dogged defender? It's possible...
StickItInTheyFace

YoDeFoe wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:
This made me legit laugh out loud and then sad as I realized I'd completely left Barcello out of the minutes equation. I personally can't judge Barcello because I was so high on him coming out of high school and his stock has been so low since then that I've just continued to hold out for an uptick.

What if he makes a leap his junior year and is a reliable 6'2" back-up ball handler, shooter, and dogged defender? It's possible...
I wanted so badly for Barcello to turn the corner last season after BWill went down. Last season killed almost all of my hope for him ever being a significant bench player. I will still hope, but I can't see him getting more than 6 or 7 min/game. Hard to see him make that jump on such small playing time.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Completely agree that even if he could make the leap, can’t see it happening with so limited PT.
StickItInTheyFace

I know that this was discussed previously, but now it's official. I can't see this as anything but a positive for college basketball and preparing guys for the NBA 3pt line.

Also, approved resetting the shotclock to 20 (previously 30) after an offensive rebound.
Last edited by StickItInTheyFace on Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Should have happened earlier. Glad to see it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Glad to see it too, after the Cat's piss poor 3 point shooting last season.

Steve Kerr's 57% 3 PT record will probably never be broken, which was probably safe anyway since he set it at the original length of 19 ft 9 in which was changed to 20 ft 9 in in 08/09.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Still don't understand why the didn't complete the move to the NBA distance. But certainly a good start.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

With our 2019-20 roster slowly coming into focus (but less so with 2020-21), how about just a little speculation on who we will lose after this coming season?

Some are simply graduating or have exhausted their eligibility: Gettings, Desjardins, Hazzard, Jeter.

Here are the other expected departures, listed in order of likelihood of leaving (anyone's guess at this point):

Mannion
Green
Williams
Nnaji
Armstrong
Lee

While 2019-20 feels like Miller's best shot at greater glory for quite some time, 2020-21 will be all about who's leaving/who's back, it seems. Brown and Baker are a nice start, so even if we see a mass exodus, we're not starting with a bare cupboard. But depending on these players' decisions, it could swing our prospects from being a top 10 team to an unranked team. If, for instance, Armstrong, Nnaji, and Lee are all back, that's a very nice looking roster core, especially because we'll have more scholarships available. And Miller has been on a TEAR lately recruiting-wise.
Last edited by Beachcat97 on Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Ummm Beach, Jeter is a senior.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Ummm Beach, Jeter is a senior.
Sorry. Thought he had two years left. I'll revise the above post.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:With our 2019-20 roster slowly coming into focus (but less so with 2020-21), how about just a little speculation on who we will lose after this coming season?

Some are simply graduating or have exhausted their eligibility: Gettings, Desjardins, Hazzard, Jeter.

Here are the other expected departures, listed in order of likelihood of leaving (anyone's guess at this point):

Mannion
Green
Williams
Nnaji
Armstrong
Lee

While 2019-20 feels like Miller's best shot at greater glory for quite some time, 2020-21 will be all about who's leaving/who's back, it seems. Brown and Baker are a nice start, so even if we see a mass exodus, we're not starting with a bare cupboard. But depending on these players' decisions, it could swing our prospects from being a top 10 team to an unranked team. If, for instance, Armstrong, Nnaji, and Lee are all back, that's a very nice looking roster core, especially because we'll have more scholarships available. And Miller has been on a TEAR lately recruiting-wise.
I'm more into 19-20 now. I would think there's a good chance we have Brown, Nnaji, Lee, Armstrong, Baker and Williams as the 20-21 returning core.

That said, how often have we been wrong about who returns? CBB is volatile nowadays. That said, if we keep that core and add a few good recruits, I'd be optimistic about 20-21. It's not super sexy, but a solid lineup throughout if we return the above guys.

Very excited for the perimeter this year, and we have players inside too.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I would think there's a good chance we have Brown, Nnaji, Lee, Armstrong, Baker and Williams as the 20-21 returning core.

That said, how often have we been wrong about who returns? CBB is volatile nowadays. That said, if we keep that core and add a few good recruits, I'd be optimistic about 20-21. It's not super sexy, but a solid lineup throughout if we return the above guys.

Equally excited about that core returning (hopefully). That's a very talented, experienced, and well balanced team.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I'm more into 19-20 now. I would think there's a good chance we have Brown, Nnaji, Lee, Armstrong, Baker and Williams as the 20-21 returning core.

Definitely into '19-'20. Especially with the unknown on the current roster. We have a lot of depth and talent that has been missing for some time. We feel thin on the wing, especially if Smith is the roster casualty. All in all though a very exciting roster.

As far as '20/'21 having Lee, Williams, Baker, Brown, and Armstrong is an awfully strong group of returnees. Koloko and Barcello for depth. If any of the 3 come back that team is shaping up really well.

Unfortunately, I would think that a lot of kids from this class will be encouraged to go when maybe they might have stayed. The following draft (2022) will be very crowded with the high school kids jumping in.
StickItInTheyFace

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I would think there's a good chance we have Brown, Nnaji, Lee, Armstrong, Baker and Williams as the 20-21 returning core.

Equally excited about that core returning (hopefully). That's a very talented, experienced, and well balanced team.
I think that Miller and staff spent so much time this last year landing and keeping our amazing recruiting and transfer class that we haven't had the head start in 2020 recruiting that we are used to.
I wouldn't be surprised if Miller ends up pulling a really strong class again on top of that awesome core. Miller has had a lot of success with traditional transfers, I expect the same with Brown and Baker.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

I think that Miller and staff spent so much time this last year landing and keeping our amazing recruiting and transfer class that we haven't had the head start in 2020 recruiting that we are used to.
I wouldn't be surprised if Miller ends up pulling a really strong class again on top of that awesome core. Miller has had a lot of success with traditional transfers, I expect the same with Brown and Baker.
I can't think of a better start to the 2020 class than Baker and Brown. It isn't just talent, it's experience in college and in our system.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Now I know we don't have any more scholarships to hand out for next year and all......PLUS this recruit has no star rating.....BUT we need this scrub....AND just having his name on the roster would drive the ESPNers along with Vitale and others, above the high pressure point.

We should have offered a scholarship just out our spite. Guess I need to root for Oregon State a bit more this year.

I too want more Sean Miller...

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... ore-245969" target="_blank
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Still waiting and wondering who is losing their scholarship to make way for Brown...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:Still waiting and wondering who is losing their scholarship to make way for Brown...
My vote would be to pull Schlabach's scholarship. His spot could be better filled by just about anyone. He's a poor investment of resources. He's bad for college basketball. So yeah, he can go.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Still waiting and wondering who is losing their scholarship to make way for Brown...
Nico.

:D
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Didnt Miller give a walk on a scholarship last year? Would be my guess
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
StickItInTheyFace

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Nico.

:D
LMAO. Could you imagine?

Miller has to think the trade off would be a net positive. I wonder if fans will feel the same way. Losing DD was a big blow because he was a fan favorite, even though Jemarl is probably a better fit for our program. A lot of people saw that move as a net negative move because Doutrive showed promise, had a year in the system, etc. Obviously we know that the Doutrive issue extends beyond freeing up a scholarship, but the common fan does not.

Brown was a necessary pickup and I think him replacing anyone except our projected starters and Ira is a net positive for our team, at least talent wise. That said, it feels weird to push out players who committed earlier or were already on the team for someone like Brown who didn't want to to commit to us last year. I will always trust Miller to make the right decisions and I know it's a good problem to have, just still feels weird.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
He doesn't count anymore

1. Max Hazzard (Sr)
2. Stone Gettings (Sr)
3. Chase Jeter (Sr)
4. Dylan Smith (Sr)
5. Ira Lee (Jr)
6. Alex Barcello (Jr)
7. Jemarl Baker (So/Jr)
8. Brandon Williams (So)
9. Jordan Brown (So)
10. Nico Mannion (Fr)
11. Josh Green (Fr)
12. Zeke Nnaji (Fr)
13. Terry Armstrong (Fr)
14. Christan Koloko (Fr)

The only candidates to leave in some way are Lee, Barcello. Brandon Williams could leave due to injury but that doesn't seem to be the case. None of the incoming recruits are decommiting. Smith, Jeter, Hazzard, Gettings are all 5th year seniors who already graduated and there could be some weird shenanigans that would somehow allow them to play but not on scholarship, but I doubt that.

Imo, Lee is unlikely to leave and so that leaves Barcello. Either he leaves the program or stays on as a walk on or something. There's no one else.
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

PHXCATS wrote:
Jake's scholly is already gone and accounted for... we're still one over.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

NYCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
The only candidates to leave in some way are Lee, Barcello. Brandon Williams could leave due to injury but that doesn't seem to be the case. None of the incoming recruits are decommiting. Smith, Jeter, Hazzard, Gettings are all 5th year seniors who already graduated and there could be some weird shenanigans that would somehow allow them to play but not on scholarship, but I doubt that.

Imo, Lee is unlikely to leave and so that leaves Barcello. Either he leaves the program or stays on as a walk on or something. There's no one else.
Still feel like Smith is the player likely to either move on (wait is to find a home) or like you said... find some crazy loophole where he stays w/o a scholarship... "Well Dylan, like we said, if Jordan comes...there won't be a scholarship for you. We would love to have you back though."

The timing of his "announcement" he is coming back was odd though. Especially as it seemed unilateral. I did not see any confirmation from UA Athletics or an article written by WA to essentially authenticate it.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Barring team rules violation, grades or other misbehavior, it should be solely the student-athlete’s choice.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

pc in NM wrote:Barring team rules violation, grades or other misbehavior, it should be solely the student-athlete’s choice.
It should be 100%. It's not, but actually revoking a scholie is a huge hit to recruiting, and you are dead to whatever high school coaches/AAU coaches were affiliated with the player.

But, usually, you can get the movement simply by saying "look...you aren't going to get playing time. I can talk to any coach you want me to talk to at a school you can get playing time at and help make this happen."

Barcello is not really a candidate to leave because he isn't going to complain about reduced playing time. It is invaluable to have a spot minute upperclassman who isn't stirring shit up about being better than his PT. Plus, he is an Arizona kid and pushing him out would be high profile. He also doesn't really have a desire to transfer, and this is all about more than basketball to him.

Smith or Koloko make the most sense. Smith, though, is a tough push if he doesn't want to go because, damn...kid has one year left and has a place in Tucson and probably friends and if he isn't itching to get out, pushing him is incredibly impactful to his life 2 months before school starts. So, while Smith makes the most sense...he can transfer and play immediately and he can be a volume scorer and starter for a smaller conference team...if he doesn't want to go, it is a real impact to his life to force his hand.

Koloko makes the most sense if Smith doesn't want to leave. He hasn't played here yet, and likely is going to continue to be recruited over as long as we remain a stable program (the NCAA could fuck all of this up). A ton of teams would be happy to have him if we released him from his LOI.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Maybe Barcello gives his scholarship up for one year and pays the freight as an in state student?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:Barring team rules violation, grades or other misbehavior, it should be solely the student-athlete’s choice.
It should be 100%. It's not, but actually revoking a scholie is a huge hit to recruiting, and you are dead to whatever high school coaches/AAU coaches were affiliated with the player.

But, usually, you can get the movement simply by saying "look...you aren't going to get playing time. I can talk to any coach you want me to talk to at a school you can get playing time at and help make this happen."

Barcello is not really a candidate to leave because he isn't going to complain about reduced playing time. It is invaluable to have a spot minute upperclassman who isn't stirring shit up about being better than his PT. Plus, he is an Arizona kid and pushing him out would be high profile. He also doesn't really have a desire to transfer, and this is all about more than basketball to him.

Smith or Koloko make the most sense. Smith, though, is a tough push if he doesn't want to go because, damn...kid has one year left and has a place in Tucson and probably friends and if he isn't itching to get out, pushing him is incredibly impactful to his life 2 months before school starts. So, while Smith makes the most sense...he can transfer and play immediately and he can be a volume scorer and starter for a smaller conference team...if he doesn't want to go, it is a real impact to his life to force his hand.

Koloko makes the most sense if Smith doesn't want to leave. He hasn't played here yet, and likely is going to continue to be recruited over as long as we remain a stable program (the NCAA could fuck all of this up). A ton of teams would be happy to have him if we released him from his LOI.
The other thing about adding Brown is it virtually guarantees zero playing time for Koloko for at least two years. He won't play thins coming year, and JB will eat up a lot of time next year.

I think it would be reasonable to have a discussion with Koloko where you're honest about how the next two years are likely to go for him.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don't know what's next, but I do remember Barcello was concerned about committing to Arizona for fear that he might not be good enough. This whole question points to why there might have been cause for that concern.
StickItInTheyFace

Longhorned wrote:I don't know what's next, but I do remember Barcello was concerned about committing to Arizona for fear that he might not be good enough. This whole question points to why there might have been cause for that concern.
Man, that kid's confidence is non-existent.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

EV,

Agree the kids should be able to decide their fate. Smith has, by all accounts, handled himself with class and given 100% to the program. However, as you stated, he has more and better options than most.

This whole thing is crazy as it seems all scenarios have either been shot down by Scheer or contradict each other. Unique situation with 2(3) scholarships essentially not playing in '19/'20.

On Koloko: I don't think that is a viable scenario. Just a really bad look.

SS, I disagree on Koloko. Their is as much a chance that Nnaji leaves as he comes back and JB can slide to the four I think pretty easily. There are 80 post minutes and Koloko is really the only true center. All of the 2020 recruits are players that could play some 4 as well.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

baycat93 wrote:EV,

Agree the kids should be able to decide their fate. Smith has, by all accounts, handled himself with class and given 100% to the program. However, as you stated, he has more and better options than most.

This whole thing is crazy as it seems all scenarios have either been shot down by Scheer or contradict each other. Unique situation with 2(3) scholarships essentially not playing in '19/'20.

On Koloko: I don't think that is a viable scenario. Just a really bad look.

SS, I disagree on Koloko. Their is as much a chance that Nnaji leaves as he comes back and JB can slide to the four I think pretty easily. There are 80 post minutes and Koloko is really the only true center. All of the 2020 recruits are players that could play some 4 as well.
I tend to doubt Nnaji will be ready to leave. Now, we've seen that not deter others, but I just have trouble seeing Zeke ready after one year.

I do think JB is a multiposition player, but I don't see Koloko cracking JB/Nnaji/Lee, and that's before any adds in the 2020 class.