Bill Walton - Legend

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAGreg

Re: Ban Bill Walton Petition

Post by UAGreg »

Merkin wrote:ODogg tweeted that Bill told some UA fans to "fcuk those refs" when he was leaving.
Pretty sure that was Oakland's coach, not Bill.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Merkin wrote:ODogg tweeted that Bill told some UA fans to "fcuk those refs" when he was leaving.

http://akorra.com/2010/03/04/top-10-nat ... creations/

This fungus is so large that it has claimed the title of the largest organism on the planet. Whilst the Great Barrier Reef is actually a collection of separate organisms, this fungus is linked underground effectively making it one huge mushroom. It is so large that it spans 9 square kilometres (2,200 acres) of the Malheur National Forrest in Oregon. On the surface, this vast fungal colony is not so impressive to look at, sprouting only small visible mushrooms, but belowground it is the largest fungal colony in existence.

If I did...it was a mistake, I meant the coach of the other team. He was walking off the floor and mentioned it to fans seated on the way out. Not Bill.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

gumby wrote:
Starting to get concerned about any of the above? Just turn off the games, put down the phone or tablet, back away from the computer, and kick back, Walton-style.
Gonna do it.

Gumby, you're forgetting one thing. But wait....it's no longer the 70s.

Oh, what the hell.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I was L 7, man.
Right where I want to be.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

Walton stood in the second half until Oakland scored their first FG...how can you not love the guy?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

He can annoy if calling a tight game where no one is in the mood.

But most of the games he does are far from close, and I love anticipating (impossible) what he will say next. Will he critique FTs? The officials? The people who dislike the officials? The salsa at the shop he ate lunch at? Who knows..

But in between that babble, he makes salient points about the game, in sweeping strokes that I think some people miss
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EVCat wrote:But in between that babble, he makes salient points about the game, in sweeping strokes that I think some people miss
He does? I must be one of those that miss them because all I hear is some version of "basketball is a simple game where the ball needs to be passed around to get the best shot and that shot must go in the basket in order to score while the other team tries their hardest not to allow a good shot to be put up".

For a guy who played the game at the highest levels, his knowledge seems to be all on the surface. Or maybe that's just the psilocybin talking.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

He's very entertaining, but it's amazing how many of us forget how he called the 'he touched the ball' game with UCLA and never even questioned a call once.

In fact, I seem to remember the refrain was that the Arizona players "weren't focused enough." Of course, I only had to use an illegal stream to watch that one, so maybe not many of you were able to actually watch the Michael Irving fiasco on TV.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Chicat wrote:
EVCat wrote:He does? I must be one of those that miss them because all I hear is some version of "basketball is a simple game where the ball needs to be passed around to get the best shot and that shot must go in the basket in order to score while the other team tries their hardest not to allow a good shot to be put up".

For a guy who played the game at the highest levels, his knowledge seems to be all on the surface. Or maybe that's just the psilocybin talking.
Those humungous mushrooms tend to be quite chatty. 8-)
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

EVCat wrote:He can annoy if calling a tight game where no one is in the mood.
Now that is absolutely the truth. I believe that is what started a lot of the Walton hate.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it was a game @ UCLA earlier in the year, not the Pac12 Championship game. UCLA won big, and UA...frankly, didn't look very good. Walton called UA out, and sang the praises of UCLA. It came off as very UCLA homer-esque. What people didn't realize is the Walton is hyperbole personified. Teams that play moderately well become one of the 9 greatest displays of basketball in the history of mankind. People take that shit to heart, especially when it's a negative comment.

I will say this, Bilas was a joy to listen to the other night. If every other announcer was closer to his level, then I'd have a problem with Walton, but they aren't, The don't bring any insight to the table...or the completely off beat stories that Walton brings. It's just recycled, puff piece stories about Rondae's FTs or TJ & Miller. I guess some people really need to hear those stories to enjoy the game.
gumby

Post by gumby »

phenom5 wrote:Walton stood in the second half until Oakland scored their first FG...how can you not love the guy?
It was his reason that stunned me: To see the game.

For me, he's like going to the game with someone who wants to talk about anything but. Tolerable in a blowout. Annoying if it's not. This does not mean I endorse the formulaic talking points uttered by others. In fact, if I hear the shimmy story one more time, I might cry.

But it's not either/or. Someone at some point determined that sports fans cannot be trusted with silence. At NBA games, it's incessant music, even as the game is being played. For the home viewer, it's constant chatter. The two extremes are Waltonesque stream of unconsciousness and the guy who breaks down every freaking possession. And the announcers who recycle anecdotes. How sad for those in attendance to have to watch without those insights.

If I were king of the world, I would have announcers shut up during possessions. Bring up the ambient sound. And sprinkle lightly with stats and foul totals. Use lots of graphcs during free throws to fill in information. And, here's the radical part: One announcer.

Don't need instant analysis when at games. Don't need it at home. Turning down the sound loses crowd reaction. So that's an unsatisfactory solution. Listening to "characters" isn't the answer either.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

He stood because the scholarship row(floor seats) people were standing and blocking his view
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:
phenom5 wrote:Walton stood in the second half until Oakland scored their first FG...how can you not love the guy?
It was his reason that stunned me: To see the game.

For me, he's like going to the game with someone who wants to talk about anything but. Tolerable in a blowout. Annoying if it's not. This does not mean I endorse the formulaic talking points uttered by others. In fact, if I hear the shimmy story one more time, I might cry.

But it's not either/or. Someone at some point determined that sports fans cannot be trusted with silence. At NBA games, it's incessant music, even as the game is being played. For the home viewer, it's constant chatter. The two extremes are Waltonesque stream of unconsciousness and the guy who breaks down every freaking possession. And the announcers who recycle anecdotes. How sad for those in attendance to have to watch without those insights.

If I were king of the world, I would have announcers shut up during possessions. Bring up the ambient sound. And sprinkle lightly with stats and foul totals. Use lots of graphcs during free throws to fill in information. And, here's the radical part: One announcer.

Don't need instant analysis when at games. Don't need it at home. Turning down the sound loses crowd reaction. So that's an unsatisfactory solution. Listening to "characters" isn't the answer either.
You sir, are absolutely correct.

If I'm watching a late night Arizona vs. Nobody State game I likely already know the shimmy story. I also don't likely need to hear a 7 minute extended version story about the next Bob Dylan album. I would like to know how York got open on that play and maybe an example of what makes the pack line so effective.

But here's a novel idea announcers... SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LET ME ENJOY THE GAME.

Television is a visual medium. If I wanted to hear some jackass drone on just to fill the silence I'd invite my father-in-law over.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

:lol:

I'm telling!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

When Vitale used to do more UA games my dad would turn the TV sound off and put the radio on, even with the TV delay.

Hasn't heard if he does the same with Walton or not.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Some Bill Walton in this one:

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

https://www.facebook.com/events/410819159082604

http://www.ticketfly.com/event/757031-e ... on-tucson/

Jim Rosborough:

Please join us for an evening of music, basketball, and Bill Walton! Your ticket will include great food from Little Poca Cosa and Oasis at Wild Horse Ranch, plus I will be hosting a Q&A with Bill on Music, Basketball, & Life. There will also be a photo booth and autograph signing, and Pop-A-Shot with the basketball legend. We will close out the night with music by Top Dead Center, who will be joined by Bill. Proceeds from this event benefit the non-profit Rialto Theatre Foundation.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Oh fuck.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I can already smell the patchouli and unwashed feet...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Probably one of the five most important nights in the history of the Old Pueblo.
-JB
gumby

Post by gumby »

Head meet desk.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Jefe wrote:https://www.facebook.com/events/410819159082604

http://www.ticketfly.com/event/757031-e ... on-tucson/

Jim Rosborough:

Please join us for an evening of music, basketball, and Bill Walton! Your ticket will include great food from Little Poca Cosa and Oasis at Wild Horse Ranch, plus I will be hosting a Q&A with Bill on Music, Basketball, & Life. There will also be a photo booth and autograph signing, and Pop-A-Shot with the basketball legend. We will close out the night with music by Top Dead Center, who will be joined by Bill. Proceeds from this event benefit the non-profit Rialto Theatre Foundation.
OMG would love to go to this. Love Mr. Bill Walton.
The synergy...15-20 yrs from now when Sean is retired...Luke Walton the next U of A Basketball HC. Would be the greatest winning press conference in the history of winning press conferences!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Be hilarious if he just talked hoops the entire time. And when asked about music and llfe, he steered it back to hoops.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Thinking I need to go to this.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

if i didn't have to work fairly late next friday I was strongly considering going.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

UAEebs86 wrote:

This is pretty good. My problem is that my bingo sheets have been too specific as to his phrases, when subject matter might be a better approach. These are also more generalized sheets I use game to game, instead matchup targeted sheets as above. Going to be interesting with Bilas taking half the commentary time.

But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:
Now that's funny! Starting to like Bilas more and more.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Kinda bummed Im going to the game. Would like to listen
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

atlantakat wrote:Hmm.

Ban Bill Walton -- the single biggest (and tallest) Lute Olson/Sean Miller/Arizona Wildcats homer announcer in the basketball hall of fame, who just happens to be maybe the second greatest player to wear a UCLA uniform -- and all he wants to talk about is how great Steve Kerr, every kid that ever came through the U of A program, Tucson, Linda Ronstadt and the Greatful Dead are.

Gee! You are right. Ban him for life.
That's what has me shaking my head. Every game he does, facebook blows up with complaining and talking about how he is anti-Arizona. He is a great basketball mind and calls BS and ugly basketball out when he sees it. He is WAY more critical of UCLA.

Walton is great, and it is mostly young kids and women who have a problem with him.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Walton is the GOAT announcer.

Anyone who doesn't appreciate him is a philistine.
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
gumby

Post by gumby »

“For me, it’s been an extraordinary week of preparation,” Bilas said jokingly. “I’ve been listening to a lot of Grateful Dead, burning incense and tie-dying my clothing in my backyard. So I think I’ll look good, smell good and I’ll be totally prepared if there’s any sort of reference to the Dead.”
Jefe wrote:Kinda bummed Im going to the game. Would like to listen
If only there were a device that ...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:
atlantakat wrote:Hmm.

Ban Bill Walton -- the single biggest (and tallest) Lute Olson/Sean Miller/Arizona Wildcats homer announcer in the basketball hall of fame, who just happens to be maybe the second greatest player to wear a UCLA uniform -- and all he wants to talk about is how great Steve Kerr, every kid that ever came through the U of A program, Tucson, Linda Ronstadt and the Greatful Dead are.

Gee! You are right. Ban him for life.
That's what has me shaking my head. Every game he does, facebook blows up with complaining and talking about how he is anti-Arizona. He is a great basketball mind and calls BS and ugly basketball out when he sees it. He is WAY more critical of UCLA.

Walton is great, and it is mostly young kids and women who have a problem with him.
Homers yammering in your ear for hours can be incredibly annoying.
gumby

Dramatic reading on Waltonisms

Post by gumby »

"Lute Olson. The man who brought water to the desert"

Pascoe a bit shy. :lol:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
a4ragtop

Post by a4ragtop »

First half of the Colorado game:

* shout out to Tucson for the Gem Show
* shout out to Tucson for avian species diversity
* shout out to the state of Colorado for legalizing the herb (this topic left untouched by boothmates)

If not Bill, who else could do this?
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Bill Walton was talking about some of our losses and mentioned that in 4 losses we have had the court rushed 7 times.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

To Jay. He threw himself backwards, that's what you Dukies do!
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Thought he was entertaining tonight. In games that aren't that close he's more enjoyable because he adds some entertainment. If he could learn to actually call the game when it's down to the wire he would be much better. But some real good stuff from him tonight. He had me laughing a few times.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

How can anybody not love Bill Walton? The guy has a great sense of the most important things in the world: art, music, sports, liberalism, sex, etc.

Who the hell wants some boiler plate asshole who gives his analysis and is usually wrong? Bill Walton was one of the best players on some of the best teams coached by the best coach in history. I think he knows what he is talking about and has a lot of fun doing it.

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Bill is like a Christmas Stocking with a new family. You expect a whole lot of nuts, a few treats and a bunch of WTF???
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Last two times I was home I was home for an hour.

Did your wife think that was too long?
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:To Jay. He threw himself backwards, that's what you Dukies do!
This made me laugh out loud.

Epic.

Thank you Bill for calling it out.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
gumby

Post by gumby »

WildcatStunner wrote:Bill Walton was talking about some of our losses and mentioned that in 4 losses we have had the court rushed 7 times.
Then silence from Pasch and Bilas. That was weird.

Apparently, he has a dog named Cortez.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

WildcatStunner wrote:Bill Walton was talking about some of our losses and mentioned that in 4 losses we have had the court rushed 7 times.
That was a head scratcher for me too.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

RockyRaccoon wrote:lol seriously Dave Pasch?

http://deadspin.com/espns-dave-pasch-ou ... 1679866092
Law of disorder, or second Law. I can name hundreds, perhaps thousands of degenerative genetic disorders in the gene pool given a couple hours. Can you point to even one documented positive mutation in the known history of man? Aquaman doesn't count. His mother was a mermaid.