What is our strategy vs. Kaminsky and Decker?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatsbyAZ

Re: What is our strategy vs. Kaminsky and Decker?

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Bash on Kam. RHJ on Dekker. Tarc on Hayes (6'7" small F who can drill threes). McC on Gasser. Stanley Johnson on Koenig.

Granted there's problems with these matchups but at this point it's pick your poison.

We 1) limit one of two between Kam and Dekker + 2) successfully guard against a rain of threes from Gasser and Hayes I like our chances.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ChattyPaddy

Post by ChattyPaddy »

Limit Kaminsky and Dekker, if the rest of the team beats us so be it. We can't let one of those 2 have a career night and hope we hold the rest of the team to just a handful of points.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think they will go straight up. Tarc on Kam, Ash on Dekker, RHJ on Hayes, TJ on Gasser and SJ on Koenig. At least to start
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:I think the key to Arizona's defense will be Rondae v. Decker, even if Zeus has a repeat of last year.
Yes. We did well against Dekker last year. Kaminsky is good, but if we can get after Dekker, we will be ok. Kaminsky was lights out last year, and we'd have won the game if we didn't have a terrible offensive game.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Anyone know the most active Wisc boards?

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

azcat49 wrote:I think they will go straight up. Tarc on Kam, Ash on Dekker, RHJ on Hayes, TJ on Gasser and SJ on Koenig. At least to start
If we have Bash on Kam we win that game last year. Big mistake if we don't do what would've won us the game this time around. That's the one of the two big differences this second time around. The other being that Dekker is a measurably better player.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
gumby

Post by gumby »

Love the "if we try to turn him into Michael Jordan" bailout. Like that would be a first-time game plan in Game 38. Exaggeration knows no bounds.
Right where I want to be.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Bosy Billups wrote:Anyone know the most active Wisc boards?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565
http://buckyville.yuku.com/forums/3/Bad ... ball-Board

Their Rivals board is dead. go figure.
Last edited by azgreg on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:Love the "if we try to turn him into Michael Jordan" bailout. Like that would be a first-time game plan in Game 38. Exaggeration knows no bounds.
I don't think we've run more than one screen for Rondae in any game so far this year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Do What We Do
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hmmmm.....
safik2 wrote:
For me, the last game was the one I really wanted them to win. And not because I hate UNC or Roy Williams. But because as great as this season has been losing to Oregon or today, on some level it would've felt like a disappointing season. And yes it would be incredible to go to back-to-back Final Four's, but as far as I'm concerned they're playing a Final Four game on Saturday. Arizona and Wisconsin are two of the four best teams in the country.
zcheetah wrote: +1 As a fan I will feel good about the season if they drop to Zona because as you said, it is like a Final Four game...there is no shame in losing to them...it would have been such a kick in the gut to lose to roll out the ball Roy in the Sweet Sixteen.
Sounds like loser talk.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I think they will go straight up. Tarc on Kam, Ash on Dekker, RHJ on Hayes, TJ on Gasser and SJ on Koenig. At least to start
If we have Bash on Kam we win that game last year. Big mistake if we don't do what would've won us the game this time around. That's the one of the two big differences this second time around. The other being that Dekker is a measurably better player.
I don't know about that. AG didn't do poorly with Kaminsky.

If the only differences are what you say, we're in trouble. If there's a third difference where we make more shots and don't have extended offensive droughts, then we're cooking.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Umm, what?? Are you just looking at the size of their lineup when you say this? No way RHJ is on Hayes and Brash is on Dekker. Dekker might end up with another new career high if we did that since Brash has NO chance to keep up with him. Switch those two, and also TJ and SJ and you've got your matchups.
teemackdee

Post by teemackdee »

Puerco wrote:Do all you guys have RiseAndFire on ignore? I find it odd that his bitchy little one-liner above got ignored completely.
Probably rocky raccoon's new handle.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

More curious how we are going to deal with the high ball screen by Kambitchsky. Most bigs can't shoot threes so we just hedge it hard, but pretty dangerous in this case. Can't really switch either unless Miller is going to send once he goes low.

I also want our guys to deny the ball to the post. The few times we tried that against Stainbrook it was effective - he's just such a huge body with long arms it was hard to repeat. Frank easier to to contain in that regard.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Puerco wrote:Do all you guys have RiseAndFire on ignore? I find it odd that his bitchy little one-liner above got ignored completely.
I can't speak for everyone, but I have him on ignore.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

threenumberones wrote:More curious how we are going to deal with the high ball screen by Kambitchsky. Most bigs can't shoot threes so we just hedge it hard, but pretty dangerous in this case. Can't really switch either unless Miller is going to send once he goes low.

I also want our guys to deny the ball to the post. The few times we tried that against Stainbrook it was effective - he's just such a huge body with long arms it was hard to repeat. Frank easier to to contain in that regard.
That was one of last night's blessings in disguise. Getting blasted by Stainbrook for 35 minutes of play hopefully readies the guy for Wiscy's inside game. I like your point about the danger of Kam on screens. He likes to focus on three's when play in the paint gets rough.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I feel good about the coming game, the main reason is that Wisky will play a straight up man-to-man defense. It will allow our athletes to shine. We won't miss so many bunnies like last year.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:Love the "if we try to turn him into Michael Jordan" bailout. Like that would be a first-time game plan in Game 38. Exaggeration knows no bounds.
I don't think we've run more than one screen for Rondae in any game so far this year.
Can't be too careful. Miller could still do it. He's on notice.
Right where I want to be.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I think they should run that trap on Kaminsky and Dekker a couple of times. Not all night, but just give them something to think about. If you get the opportunity to put Bash and Tarc on FK near the out of bounds line, sure, he's a good passer, but make him make that pass. We've got guys who are good at swiping the ball. Do that a couple of times just to disrupt their rhythm.
loomer

Post by loomer »

Lack of offense is what lost us the game last year. 8 Assists total plus Nick and TJ went a combined 8/27. The rebounding issue is a bit concerning. We only out rebounded Xavier by two and were losing that battle the majority of the game. Wisky surprisingly outrebounded UNC by a large margin. We're a better offensive team than we were last year, but we need to come out shooting better than we did against OSU and Xavier (we've shot 38.6 % the last two games). Wiscy was vulnerable in transition against UNC. Getting some easy transition baskets should be a focal point tomorrow. If we win the rebounding battle (critical) and get to the line effectively I really like our chances.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Not good apparently
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Unfortunately RHJ could not cover both of them at the same time.

Going to miss that dude.
Salty

Post by Salty »

They simply ate us alive.

We played great D in the first half.

Not sure what happened in the second?
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Merkin wrote:Unfortunately RHJ could not cover both of them at the same time.

Going to miss that dude.
Not sure if he or TJ will leave a bigger hole on next years team.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Merkin wrote:Unfortunately RHJ could not cover both of them at the same time.

RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

frank k goes for 29...... "do what we do ". doesn't cut it. sometimes you gotta do what somebody else does because it might work better in some situations
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Salty wrote:They simply ate us alive.

We played great D in the first half.

Not sure what happened in the second?
I was confident at half. I turned to my buddy and said we are locked in on defense. . . Then decker happened. Ran into a buzz saw and we still fought and hung tough.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
I'd add:

Anderson Hunt
Mike Dunleavy
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Frybry02 wrote:
I was confident at half. I turned to my buddy and said we are locked in on defense. . . Then decker happened. Ran into a buzz saw and we still fought and hung tough.
I agree. We brought our A game, showed a lot of mental toughness and it wasn't enough.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
Kaminsky was at the White House Correspondents Dinner tonight.

Seriously, fuck that guy. I hope he got some undercooked chicken.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It's amazing how right we all were in this thread except for the part about Dekker being the most unstoppable far-range shooter in the history of crotch rot.