Allonzo Trier

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RichardCranium

Re: Allonzo Trier

Post by RichardCranium »

Chicat wrote:
Jefe wrote:Buddy spotted him this morning. Creeper...
"Hi Officer, is there a problem?"
"Yes, I saw you using your mobile device while driving."
"Oh, you see, I just wanted to take a picture of that teenage boy over there crossing the street so I could send it to all my friends and maybe put it on the internet...."
Um... photo is through the back window... looks to be taken from the back seat.

You sure its the driver taking the photo? If it isn't then your scenario is moot.

If it is the driver, he's also in a traffic lane, i.e. not parked, turned around looking backwards, probably seat belt unfastened, no hands on the steering wheel, absolutely 100% NOT in control of the vehicle. So, yeah, if that's the case, "Officer" should drag him out of the car and cart him off to jail. If the driver is black, then of course he should be shot about 47 times minimum. If the driver is white, he should expect a thank you letter from the Chief of Police, the Mayor, and the Governor for giving "Officer" a chance to practice his community relations training.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

RichardCranium wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Jefe wrote:Buddy spotted him this morning. Creeper...
"Hi Officer, is there a problem?"
"Yes, I saw you using your mobile device while driving."
"Oh, you see, I just wanted to take a picture of that teenage boy over there crossing the street so I could send it to all my friends and maybe put it on the internet...."
Um... photo is through the back window... looks to be taken from the back seat.

You sure its the driver taking the photo? If it isn't then your scenario is moot.

If it is the driver, he's also in a traffic lane, i.e. not parked, turned around looking backwards, probably seat belt unfastened, no hands on the steering wheel, absolutely 100% NOT in control of the vehicle. So, yeah, if that's the case, "Officer" should drag him out of the car and cart him off to jail. If the driver is black, then of course he should be shot about 47 times minimum. If the driver is white, he should expect a thank you letter from the Chief of Police, the Mayor, and the Governor for giving "Officer" a chance to practice his community relations training.
Come on, save your political rants for the appropriate boards.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Puerco wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:this is jefe after all. should probably put a watch on him or anyone he's associated with.
Outta line SD. Keep it in PRB.
Some comment from July? Alrighty then
Jeebus. How'd we have a 6-month gap in posts in Trier's thread. That's simply not possible.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

I still think it's the haircut turning people off :lol:

But Trier did have a big game today, his ability to slice through a defense on transition and finish is well above average. And he can shoot, which is something we desperately need. This team really really really really needs a reliable scoring threat, and hopefully we'll see Alonzo grow into that role more and more as the season progresses. Miller will continue to make him work on his defensive game, which he should, but I'm ok with Miller giving him a green light to play freely on the offensive end because he does have some great ability there and we need every last bit of it.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Imagine if Stanley finished at the rim as smoothly last year as Trier has so far this year.
eoe

Post by eoe »

So nifty at cutting through the lane and taking guys off the dribble. Truly Iso-Zo.
His ability to finish at the rim nearly every take is elite.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

More of a reason we won today than York was IMHO. Kept us in it throughout. Great night, buzzer to buzzer.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

He is fearless. The reigns are definitely being loosened as well . . .
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

They were sending double teams at Trier the whole first half. I think it was after the 2nd York 3 in the 2nd half that Gonzaga adjusted their defense to York which took the 2nd guy off Trier. After that they both made Gonzaga pay.

Trier is easily my favorite player right now. Once his 3 starts to drop he'll be nearly un-stopable. Very impressive yesterday
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Trier is certainly going to get a talking too during the video review, especially not looking for the open guy.

There is a reason Trier wasn't on the court end of game.

Although York was pretty awful the last 5 minutes, but Miller left the ball in his hands. Too early 3 point shot at NBA length, 2 turnovers, 2 missed FTs on 1 and 1.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

I want to see Trier try harder to draw the foul inside. In the early games he seemed to have an almost D Will like knack for getting fouled but during the Wooden games lost his confidence for driving inside.

I don't think there is any skill that can single handily decimate a team more than someone who can drive to the basket, draw the foul, and hit the fts. Especially because that will open up the paint for guys like Ristic, Anderson, and Zues when he returns
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Who is the last guy we had here at Arizona w the advanced ball handling Trier possesses AND the ability to both finish at the rim and sink the freebies? And D Will was an effective driver in college but you can clearly see why I am looking past him and a few other recent guys, because the handles and moves aren't even in the same stratosphere.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Trier's very fast to the rim. Love his game. Gabe, Trier and a healthy Anderson a magic combo. When the Cats get in sync, I'm betting we'll see
some great basketball. ;)
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Trier late in the 1H was incredible. We needed that soooo bad
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Jefe wrote:Trier late in the 1H was incredible. We needed that soooo bad
Completely agree. He wanted the ball and knew he was going to score.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Very cool.

Arizona-Gonzaga postgame: Trier might stick in starting lineup

December 05, 2015 8:51 pm • Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star

SPOKANE, Wash. – If Allonzo Trier keeps playing the way he did Saturday, he won’t come off the bench again this season.

Trier was given his third start of the season at Gonzaga, and he responded with a confidence and aggressiveness the Wildcats sorely needed early in their come-from-behind 68-63 win.

Miller indicated Trier could keep being a starter if he continues to play better in that role. He started against Northwestern State and against Santa Clara, but struggled in UA’s overtime win over the Broncos.

Saturday, Trier had an efficient day: Scoring 14 points on 6-for-9 shooting, while collecting six rebounds, two assists and a steal with just one turnover and no fouls.

“We put Allonzo in the starting lineup because I think we all recognized he gives us the double-figure scoring punch we needed,” UA coach Sean Miller said. “Maybe we didn’t need that quite as much in California.”

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... 1c88c.html" target="_blank
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

rgdeuce wrote:Who is the last guy we had here at Arizona w the advanced ball handling Trier possesses AND the ability to both finish at the rim and sink the freebies? And D Will was an effective driver in college but you can clearly see why I am looking past him and a few other recent guys, because the handles and moves aren't even in the same stratosphere.
I am thinking of Gilbert Arenas.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Catintheheat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Who is the last guy we had here at Arizona w the advanced ball handling Trier possesses AND the ability to both finish at the rim and sink the freebies? And D Will was an effective driver in college but you can clearly see why I am looking past him and a few other recent guys, because the handles and moves aren't even in the same stratosphere.
Michael Dickerson? Both are high praise for Trier -- he hasn't actually accomplished anything yet.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Catintheheat wrote:
Think you are spot on. Arenas was the one who first popped in my mind. Next up I would have Bayless.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Hopefully Trier will stick around long enough for Arizona to enjoy the fruits of his talent. By his junior or senior year, he could be an All-America type player. You see what Valentine is doing for Michigan State and wonder why Arizona never has such a dominating player: the reason is they always jump to the draft too early instead of maximizing their talent.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Trier has what it takes to be that type of player his sophomore season in my opinion. Improve his outside shooting and confidence in that shot and he's going to be one of the toughest guys to guard in the country. Problem with our teams, there is always so much offensive balance and talent. Last guy we had like that was D-Will, but it was much easier for him to shine because he was really all we had many nights.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

There is no way Trier is as good as Valentine by next year. If he is we are gonna be elite if we get JJ. Valentine is unreal every game they have played this year. He's a monster. Right now it's him and Ben Simmons for POTY. If we can get that from Trier next year we will be in for a fun ride. But I don't see it. Trier is 6"4, DV is 6"9, no way Trier is gonna be a rebounding AND scoring machine as well as a guy who creates for others.

I love Trier and think him and JJ will be our best players next year. But as dominant as DV??? One can hope.

Now as an upperclassman ........ But like it was stated, we never get lucky enough to have a DV or Dunn or Wiltjer to stay for their junior and senior years. We are just thrilled when a glue guy (albeit a great glue guy w elite D) like RHJ stays for his soph year.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

PennZona20 wrote:There is no way Trier is as good as Valentine by next year. If he is we are gonna be elite if we get JJ. Valentine is unreal every game they have played this year. He's a monster. Right now it's him and Ben Simmons for POTY. If we can get that from Trier next year we will be in for a fun ride. But I don't see it. Trier is 6"4, DV is 6"9, no way Trier is gonna be a rebounding AND scoring machine as well as a guy who creates for others.

I love Trier and think him and JJ will be our best players next year. But as dominant as DV??? One can hope.

Now as an upperclassman ........ But like it was stated, we never get lucky enough to have a DV or Dunn or Wiltjer to stay for their junior and senior years. We are just thrilled when a glue guy (albeit a great glue guy w elite D) like RHJ stays for his soph year.
Valentine is a senior. And he's also 6'5", not 6'9". He averaged 5 points a game as a freshman and 8 pts/game as a sophomore. So I don't think it's a stretch at all that Trier could be a dominating player by the time he's a junior. The bigger question: will he stay beyond his sophomore season?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

carolinacat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:There is no way Trier is as good as Valentine by next year. If he is we are gonna be elite if we get JJ. Valentine is unreal every game they have played this year. He's a monster. Right now it's him and Ben Simmons for POTY. If we can get that from Trier next year we will be in for a fun ride. But I don't see it. Trier is 6"4, DV is 6"9, no way Trier is gonna be a rebounding AND scoring machine as well as a guy who creates for others.

Valentine is a senior. And he's also 6'5", not 6'9". He averaged 5 points a game as a freshman and 8 pts/game as a sophomore. So I don't think it's a stretch at all that Trier could be a dominating player by the time he's a junior. The bigger question: will he stay beyond his sophomore season?
Honestly I'm more worried about him staying FOR his sophomore season. He has an elite skill, finishing around the rim in heavy traffic with either hand (compare that to the struggles Stanley had around the rim) and his mid range game is excellent (baseline step back against Gonzaga) and you gotta believe he will show he has a capable 3 PT shot by the end of the year. I can see him getting some first round love and being gone, which would suck hard.

One thing I believe is that he is super focused on making it to the league. He has been focused on that since before he was 10 years old. At times we see it when he chooses to attack instead of, say, passing to Gabe on the wing (although I like this mentality for what this team needs).

If he gets a first round grade I'm thinking he is gone, but only time will tell. Maybe it means he led us somewhere special, and I think we will all take that
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'd be surprised if he got a first round grade. He isn't a physical freak like Aaron/Stanley. He has good skill, but is not true SG size, which would be the position he'd slide into most easily. Guys with that profile usually need to drop over 15 ppg as freshmen to go in the first round, and it is hard to see him getting that with our depth of scorers.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'd be surprised if he got a first round grade. He isn't a physical freak like Aaron/Stanley. He has good skill, but is not true SG size, which would be the position he'd slide into most easily. Guys with that profile usually need to drop over 15 ppg as freshmen to go in the first round, and it is hard to see him getting that with our depth of scorers.
Yea I hope you're right. I think it's just that next year, if we get JJ, will clearly be our best chance to win a Natty and I hope all the important pieces stick around to give it a shot. Trier and JJ next to each other would be unstoppable
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'd be surprised if he got a first round grade. He isn't a physical freak like Aaron/Stanley. He has good skill, but is not true SG size, which would be the position he'd slide into most easily. Guys with that profile usually need to drop over 15 ppg as freshmen to go in the first round, and it is hard to see him getting that with our depth of scorers.
Yea I hope you're right. I think it's just that next year, if we get JJ, will clearly be our best chance to win a Natty and I hope all the important pieces stick around to give it a shot. Trier and JJ next to each other would be unstoppable
It never means much, but I think he would do himself a bigger favor than most by returning. Gabe is leaving, so he has one less person to compete with as a 2. He can fully expect to be the featured option on offense next year. He isn't physically dominant enough for a team to draft him highly just on his athletic measurables. There is no recruit coming in with a similar skillset unless we get Andrew Jones.

You never know, though.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Get JJ out on the wing and AT should own the lane. Hopefully he realizes this and stays and he should be in line for a great year next season.

If the team is as good as many of us think it could be, the pub would be outstanding as well. One thing though it does show how difficult it is on these elite coaches in having to rebuild a roster and keep it elite each and every year or two as you lose so many of your key players. Sucks for the fans as well
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azcat49 wrote:If the team is as good as many of us think it could be, the pub would be outstanding as well. One thing though it does show how difficult it is on these elite coaches in having to rebuild a roster and keep it elite each and every year or two as you lose so many of your key players. Sucks for the fans as well
There's some different game theory stuff in relation to recruiting that we've talked about that might make a difference here.

You could change the types of players you recruit to make roster turnover less likely. Consider a three man recruitment class for each year. With two of the slots you take guys that are very, very good basketball players but don't have the elite intangibles the NBA is looking for so the assumption is they're around for three or four years in most cases. Very talented 6'8" power forwards. Very talented 6'0" point guards. Guys who probably are ranked more in the 40-80 range but are ranked there because their physical talents aren't NBA elite, not because their games aren't elite.

Supplement that with one top ten one and done player every year. This satisfies fans and creates hype and these type of players are generally good enough to really help your team win games in the one year that they're there.

Players to avoid: those generally ranked 15-35ish. Why? First it's probably in their head that they're a one and done but they might not really be talented enough to help you win serious games in the one year they're expecting to be there. Better to build a stable of and rely on those 40-80 ranked guys that are Juniors and Seniors than these 15-35 type guys.

So there probably is game theory that could be used to create more stable rosters, if one was so inclined to use it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Interesting SCCATS. I like college bball more when the kids stay for at least 3 years but it does make it tough to stay elite it seems. I think back to the guys we have had starting with Tarcs class and how good they were as freshman compared to this years class and what I feel has been a class that has not contributed at that same level (yet, and I get the Smith injury was huge).

IF we did not have Anderson and a SR heavy roster this group might really struggle to deliver AZ bball expected results. To me it would make coaching college bball difficult and you have to really love recruiting to grind away each and every year to get kids.

I see a kid like Comanche who I think has some nice upside and should be here for 3 years at minimum and should be a solid contributor but if we had to rely on him this year, well he is just not ready like Ashley, Tarc and GJ were. Your idea seems solid and I wonder if you could point to some programs you feel have made a change in philosophy to fit that model
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The best roster isn't based in experience or talent, but a solid mix of both. Here's an interesting statistical analysis of the relative impact of each:

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2011/7 ... ok-at-ncaa" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

To clarify, when I said Trier can be that type of player next year, I meant an All American type player, not Valentine ;)
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

rgdeuce wrote:To clarify, when I said Trier can be that type of player next year, I meant an All American type player, not Valentine ;)
I know. I just wanted to point out how far Valentine has come since his first season. Pretty impressive really. That's why it's so frustrating to see guys leave early. Can you imagine Grant Jerrett right now? He'd be as good as Wiltjer at Gonzaga.

If Trier sticks for three years at Arizona, he can be really special. He's got a good looking shot...over time he'll improve his range and efficiency. Physically you can see he's got the body.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Has game.
Right where I want to be.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Any more questions?

8-)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This is what he's capable of. He may be settling into college.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

His stroke is so smooth
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

A Zo/Ray/JJ trio 8-)
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Main Event wrote:A Zo/Ray/JJ trio 8-)
With Lauri, Kareem, Ristic, PJC, Pitts, and Chance?! That would be insane.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Kareem Abdul jabar has eligibility left???
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

dcZONAfan wrote:
And Justin Simon!
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

3goggles wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Kareem Abdul jabar has eligibility left???
hahaha
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

If miller can pull Jones as the back up 2 guard look out!!!
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

Great to see him hitting from deep tonight. He looked comfortable out there and has been super efficient.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Don't get me wrong I love Trier. He was awesome tonight. He has a lot of D rose in his game (pre injury). And I think as a junior he could be what Valentine is this year (legit NPOY candidate).

I will agree that as a soph next year he'd be a dark horse 2nd team AA on what we all hope and even suspect will be a loaded elite team. I also don't know if I believe Valentine is a 6"5. He has to be at least 6"7 from what I see (maybe not 6"9 as I first said, that was a guess).

I honestly get aroused thinking about a team next year built around Trier and Jj. Then u have guys like Lauri, an expierienced Ristic , Kadeem (GREAT RS call by Miller last year btw), PJC, chance, hopefully a healthy Ray, Simon w a year to figure it out , Pitts as a glue guy, hopefully Jones to groom for '17-18, and a senior transfer!!!!

That's a FF quality team if I've ever seen one. And I still think we have a run in us this year if we can stop spraining ankles.

Also interesting article about roster makeup. Look at Xavier this year, they have upperclassmen who grinded and they may legit be the best team I've watched play this year consistently. They are REALLY good.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

This kid is special. So damn efficient. And two straight games where his midrange has been automatic, tonight he shot the three and with confidence. And we had a stretch late in the second where he was on the left wing and the ball wasnt even getting to him, it was when they started closing the gap again. He's only going to become more assertive and on nights like these, I was up in the stands begging for them to keep giving him the ball. He easily could have topped 30 and still played within himself. By the end of the year hes easily going to be the best scorer we have had since D Will.

And his defense tonight was pretty damn good. He was on their best player for a stretch and did a really good job. Moved his feet well on one drive with his hands up and off the driver and drew an offensive foul. They had a high energy offense and he was keeping up and the thing that impressed me the most was how he was navigating around screens, and when there was contact, making the right decision on working through them and recovering fast.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

every time I see him play I see Chauncy Billups.

so strong on his way to the rack, uses both hands equally as well, his physicality creates so much space off the bounce specifically on the mid-range, and has that no-rim touch on his makes.

highly efficient and can really pass the basketball -- as many minutes as he can handle
az91

Post by az91 »

Trier is as advertised. Hope he stays around for at least two years.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Allonzo found his groove, killer instinct, lotta heart. Love this kid.