McKale Renovations

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Coop Cat

Re: McKale Renovations

Post by Coop Cat »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I dont see why we will be 4k seats short for Red/Blue and the exhibition.

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I love these new seats so much. Not to mention how great it'll be to finally have cup holders.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

AZCatGirl wrote:I love these new seats so much. Not to mention how great it'll be to finally have cup holders.
Someone over on Scout said the cheap seats are worse.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Aren't the cheap seats always worse? It's not like they'll all have padding and cup holders.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

AZCatGirl wrote:Aren't the cheap seats always worse? It's not like they'll all have padding and cup holders.
They said the new cheap seats are worse than the old cheap seats.
-JB
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:Aren't the cheap seats always worse? It's not like they'll all have padding and cup holders.
well that's quite a feat
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I doubt the cheap seats are worse. Hard to be worse than 20+ year old beat up yellow chairs. Unless we got used seats from somewhere they will be better.

Besides no one needs to be sitting at Mckale anyway.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ASUHATER! wrote:I doubt the cheap seats are worse. Hard to be worse than 20+ year old beat up yellow chairs. Unless we got used seats from somewhere they will be better.

Besides no one needs to be sitting at Mckale anyway.
Thus why it would be quite a feat for them to accomplish worse seats
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Former Wildcat pledges to help McKale renovations

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/f ... f887a.html

A yet-to-be-named former UA basketball player is chipping into the $30 million of renovations to McKale Center.

UA athletic director Greg Byrne declined to name the player and specify how much he has agreed to donate to the project, but donations from former basketball players are rare, save for the $3.5 million Richard Jefferson pledged for UA's practice gym in 2007.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UAdevil wrote:Former Wildcat pledges to help McKale renovations

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/f ... f887a.html

A yet-to-be-named former UA basketball player is chipping into the $30 million of renovations to McKale Center.

UA athletic director Greg Byrne declined to name the player and specify how much he has agreed to donate to the project, but donations from former basketball players are rare, save for the $3.5 million Richard Jefferson pledged for UA's practice gym in 2007.
Well we know Byrne went to the Bay Area to secure this, so I am thinking it's either Kerr or Iggy.
-JB
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Byrne said UA will be able to host its full capacity of about 14,700 for its Nov. 14 opener against Mount St. Mary’s. (The new capacity is up about 150 seats from the old 14,545, Byrne said).

^
Nice. I thought capacity would stay about the same. With phase 2 likely adding 7-8 rows where the concourse is now connecting the lower and upper bowls on the north and south sides, I'd expect to see +1200 or so seats ultimately. It'd be nice to get to 15.5k or 16k to surpass Utah and be the largest capacity facility in the Pac12 again.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ya I thought it was +- 20 seats when all said and done. Red/Blue and Cal Poly Pomona will only have 10k seats for some reason. Must be closing off the upper sections due to construction
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

byrne said there was some 2 week delay with construction on the east side of the arena. was supposed to be done by the red blue game but now it won't be done until the actual season opener, so for the red/blue game and exhibition a large portion of the east side of the arena will be blocked off.

azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

30m! Holy shit.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat34 wrote:30m! Holy shit.
I don't think the ex-player is paying the whole 30 mil.
-JB
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Yeah. 30 mil is the cost of phase one out of three. The former player is contributing to the 30 mil.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

In that zoo section with the A, those kids need to wear the correkating shirt. If they sit in a blue seat, wear blue. If red, red. That will make the A come alive.

Got my exhibion tickets yesterday. You didnt get your season ticket seats. It was whatever they had available
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
well that's quite a feat
OMG, laughing my a$$ off
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Really good video tour from Byrne:

The new snack bar down below is a huge upgrade. Thats where the players used to come out
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Thanks Jefe, that video is awesome!

Really hate that youtube videos can't go full screen. Hopefully that is something that can be fixed.
gumby

Post by gumby »

i don't see why any team would show up to play us. Zero chance of winning.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jefe wrote:Really good video tour from Byrne:

[youtube]KW43_9xVjR8[/youtube]

The new snack bar down below is a huge upgrade. Thats where the players used to come out
I don't recall this tradition.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

84Cat wrote:Thanks Jefe, that video is awesome!

Really hate that youtube videos can't go full screen. Hopefully that is something that can be fixed.

Well, I figured out how to tweak the youtube code to allow fullscreen. Unfortunately that seemed to 'unembed' all existing youtube embeds. lol. With the new code you need to select 'embed' on youtube and copy the entire iframe code and paste between the youtube brackets...

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

gumby wrote:I don't recall this tradition.
Which? Where the players come out? The locker room is down the hall past that snack bar.

gumby

Post by gumby »

Oh. Enter the floor. Thought you meant a TMI announcement.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Lower seats are extended out right now. They added guard rails between Row 1 and the coaches/players seats.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Wonder if removing the "bleacher" setup of the yellow seats will help retain/create more noise.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

i won't mention who posted this picture on fb, but it's a good picture. PJC looking at the new court

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Looking slick. Gonna be real badass once that concourse is filled in with 6-8 rows. Gonna be one loud house in a couple years.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I like that floor.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Olsondogg wrote:I like that floor.

Totally. This whole damn thing is so exciting. Not to mention the season... :D Probably gonna up my game considerably when it comes to the Wildcat Club donation this year.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Looks great. Does anyone know what phase two entails? I have a feeling the one coach who is not as excited as the other coaches about the renovation is coach Candrea.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

as far as i know there is a phase 2, 3 and possibly 4 if there is enough money. not sure what all goes into them, but the end result is basically extending the concourses out onto the currently existing concrete walkways on the outside of mckale. basically expand the actual footprint of the arena to get all that space inside to use it for more seating or suites or more/better concessions/bathrooms/offices. also heard that the south side of mckale where the ticket office is might get expanded out a good 30 or so feet to where the street is now for even more room. back in the day when i worked for the arizona PDC department like 6 years ago and the first rumblings of these upgrades were being talked about, there were rumors of when the concourses were expanded out to use the new space where the old concourses were along the sidelines and make them into luxury boxes/suites.

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Well, going off their most recent plans there will be seating in the concourse, not suites. Though I'm sure they could change their minds. If the end product is indeed seating, and the current layout per Byrne's statement increased to 14,700, I'd image we'd be close to 16k with the concourse seating. See image. Arrows point to new rows of seats.

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Well, no offense to the people who can afford suites...but I like the idea of additional seats better anyways :)

16K? we can fill that any day!

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Especially if we win a title or go to a final 4 or two between now and October 2017 when the renovations are done. We could probably sell out 17k seats easily.

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/files/temp/m ... 71612a.pdf

Heres the breakdown of the upgrades ^
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

No more floor access :(
MCKALE CENTER ENTRY AND EXIT

With the renovation of the McKale Center in the final stages, it’s a new day for the historic arena, but with that, comes a formation of new habits for those attending events. Many of you have been attending games at McKale for years, and because of that, you’ve developed a sort of ritual about where you park, how you enter and exit, and how you navigate the arena. Some of your habits may need to change due to the renovation and we ask that you be flexible as everyone gets comfortable with the new surroundings.

For instance, access to the floor will be extremely limited compared to previous years. As a result of the renovation, we needed to add gates along the front rows on the north, east and south sides to comply with ADA codes. The step that was there previously constituted a violation of the current codes, so it was a must that we added those gates.

There is a walkway along the west side behind scholarship row that will provide access to restrooms and Skip’s snack bar via the northwest tunnel, but that access will only be available in-game. Otherwise, there will not be access to the floor level pre or postgame.

Due to the restricted floor access, we’re asking that all fans enter from either the middle or upper concourse. Fans with seats in the lower bowl should enter through the middle concourse and proceed to their seat by going down the stairs towards the court. Conversely, when exiting the arena after the final horn, fans in the lower bowl will need to proceed up the stairs, away from the court, to the middle concourse and exit via the street level gates. Fans seated in the upper areas can enter and exit through the middle or upper concourses and proceed to and from their seats accordingly.

We know this will be different for a lot of you, but with facility upgrades, come changes. It will take some getting used to but it is in the best interest of McKale’s functionality and long-term feasibility.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

ASUHATER! wrote:i won't mention who posted this picture on fb, but it's a good picture. PJC looking at the new court

It is very.... Blue?

I think it looks fantastic though. Modernized and slick, can't wait to see live action!
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Top 10 Thursday: Best court designs
5. McKale Center, Arizona

Arizona has come a long way from the technicolor cactus logos of yore. (Though, to be fair, if you told us you wanted to put one of these things in the center of the floor, we'd struggle to disagree.) The McKale Center's current floor is almost effortlessly attractive.
Utah at #3 and UCLA at #4

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... basketball
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Heard the current seating capacity at McKale is around 10k, to be upgraded to 16k. Anyone know the completion date for the additional seats?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Current capacity is just 10000 for another month because of a delay in the off-season work. By the first game it will be back to the normal 14,500. The idea is that after the other renovations are done in 2-3 years it will eventually be 16,000.

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Pretty cool.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

technicolor? eat shit espn.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

splitsecond wrote:technicolor? eat shit espn.
You were able to deduce the that the writer had a favorable opinion of the cactus, right? Ever hear of RGB?

It's going to be harder and harder to play the "no respect" card given the positive attention the program is deservedly receiving. Time to step up our game!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

splitsecond wrote:technicolor?
We're still using technicolor, only now it's on our football jerseys.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I kind of wish Sean Miller and Greg Byrne didn't decide to make the upper seats red, and just kept all the seats blue. Everybody wears red to the games. That's where the red should be. On the seats, not of the seats. As the arena fills, it goes from blue to red.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Formerly McLurvin
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We have awesome alums.

FAMILY
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?