Barcello

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

qwertyus

Re: Barcello

Post by qwertyus »

BBQ wildcat wrote:
Oh shit, you got me, BBQ! PJC is the greatest! He totally isn't on the court because he's one of a handful of players who can dribble, you're right! He's there because he's a slasher and a scorer! He's there because of his impressive passing skills as he hands the ball off to Trier, or passes it to Ayton. I mean, his high 3-point percentage must translate into a lot of points then, right?

Well, let me put it this way. The team is much worse when PJC ISN'T on the court and Trier is running point. That should be very obvious to anyone who actually watches the games. Miller says PJC is very important to how the team performs, and In Miller I Trust. AND he has had to put PJC back into games to "stabilize" things, even when he is in foul trouble. So there's all that. Oh, yeah, plus Barcello isn't even seeing any junk minutes.

So, no, PJC isn't an elite PG. But he is decent, and is much better than any second choice we have.
Never said PJC wasn't the best PG we have on the team. In fact, I said that Barcello is worse. No need to appeal to authority on a strawman of your own making.

I'm simply saying that, when you consider the fact that we have a mediocre starting PG whose main contributions are dribbling and not turning the ball over, if Barcello just tries to defend/switch well, dribbles, and doesn't turn the ball over, that will approximate PJC's role on the court. Neither guy is big enough to defend, or enough of a scorer, or a great facilitator. Barcello is simply PJC-lite, and that'll have to be enough when PJC gets a breather.

Fingers crossed we can win an appeal and have Trier back though.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I must say, Barcello surprised me last night. He gave some solid minutes, so maybe he will have a chance to get in some games.

Fingers crossed is right. It is just so unfair for Trier, what he is having to go through.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Kudos to Barcello for being prepared and ready to play after not sniffing a second of playing time in months.

The entire bench in the 1st half last night really came ready to contribute.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Maybe they finally got their wakeup call?
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I did not see a deer in headlights when Alex was on the floor last night. I thought I even saw an attempt at real defense and some energy. I will re-watch the game before I say more than that.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

dcZONAfan wrote:Barcello can't even handle 2 minutes a night NOW, after this.
I am very happy Alex didn't listen to me and played so well last night. Positive minutes are unexpected and needed at a time like this.

Well done AB, keep it up!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Started for BYU last night. 31 min 17 pt 3 stl 2 asst 7/9 fg 3/4 3pt

Damn
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Jefe wrote:Started for BYU last night. 31 min 17 pt 3 stl 2 asst 7/9 fg 3/4 3pt

Damn
When did he ever do that for us?!!!!

Good for him though
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That is impressive, although it was against Cal State Disneyland. Let's see how he does v. SDSU.

Although CSF would probably take Chico State.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well when you can coast on defense you have a lot more legs for offense
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

We knew he had it in him all the time. Multiple factors contributed to his struggles. Give someone 31 minutes and a lot of them will go away. So happy for the guy.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:
Jefe wrote:Started for BYU last night. 31 min 17 pt 3 stl 2 asst 7/9 fg 3/4 3pt

Damn
When did he ever do that for us?!!!!

Good for him though
I'm rooting for him. He was always super respectful and positive here even during tough times for himself and the program.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

dovecanyoncat wrote:We knew he had it in him all the time. Multiple factors contributed to his struggles. Give someone 31 minutes and a lot of them will go away. So happy for the guy.
Totally agree - a lot of players struggle when they've got a short leash, but at top programs, you have to perform to justify the minutes. Stoked for the kid; always knew he had fight in him.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Great to see. I will be rooting for Alex to do well.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I just saw BYU is in the WCC now?

It's like a larger model of his current situation...very Catholic boy in an LDS university that now plays in a very Catholic conference :)

I will always pull for the kid. BYU as a destination still cracks me up from an East Valley Catholic kid, but it will be a good fit for him basketball-wise.

He has come out the other end of some crap, and hopefully will get some of that swagger back.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Byu has been in the WCC for like 6 years by now. Ever since they went independent in football. They're in the WCC for every sport but football.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I guess they have
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Why is he eligible but Akot is not? Punishment/karma for ditching a team mid season?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:Why is he eligible but Akot is not? Punishment/karma for ditching a team mid season?
We supported Barcello's waiver. We did not support Akot's waiver. You can certainly guess why on each.

Honestly the way the NCAA handled every single waiver was if the prior school supported the new school's waiver claim it was approved.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

To Choo’s point: see Quinerly not getting the vote as well.