Re: Assistant Coaches

Post by Newportcat »

Kevin O'Niell?
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Newportcat wrote:Kevin O'Niell?

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Steve Alford?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Levar Ball?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Got a name. It's a very very safe hire with connections in a big recruiting area of ours. That's all I can say. Every thing is still pending though of course.
Safety and recruiting sound like just what the doctor ordered. I’ll press just a little further: a) would you be happy with him being a Cat and b) happy with the collective coaches behind Miller if hired?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Got a name. It's a very very safe hire with connections in a big recruiting area of ours. That's all I can say. Every thing is still pending though of course.
Safety and recruiting sound like just what the doctor ordered. I’ll press just a little further: a) would you be happy with him being a Cat and b) happy with the collective coaches behind Miller if hired?
A) I have no reason not to be. I'm not going to lie, I had to look the guy up and you will too if he's the guy. I'm a pretty big diehard and I had no idea who he was, but he is a proven coach with extensive ties to an important region.
B) Hard to say honestly. I mean in Peters he's got a young, hungry, loyal guy, who wants nothing more in this world than to do every thing in his power to help Miller get back on top and that's extremely useful. In this other guy, if he is the guy, you have someone who theoretically should be a major help in the new primary recruiting focus, which is the west coast. I'll just say I'm optimistic with this group, but I tend to be optimistic before things fully get implemented and play out regardless. So while it's not the group I pandered for to begin with it's one that I can see the positives with and provide me enough hope for the future.
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
A) I have no reason not to be. I'm not going to lie, I had to look the guy up and you will too if he's the guy. I'm a pretty big diehard and I had no idea who he was, but he is a proven coach with extensive ties to an important region.
B) Hard to say honestly. I mean in Peters he's got a young, hungry, loyal guy, who wants nothing more in this world than to do every thing in his power to help Miller get back on top and that's extremely useful. In this other guy, if he is the guy, you have someone who theoretically should be a major help in the new primary recruiting focus, which is the west coast. I'll just say I'm optimistic with this group, but I tend to be optimistic before things fully get implemented and play out regardless. So while it's not the group I pandered for to begin with it's one that I can see the positives with and provide me enough hope for the future.
Was/is he an assistant at a PAC-12 school? I am not referring to Grace, but is he Afro-American?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The obvious name would be David Grace with his SoCal connections, but that would be too obvious.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Azgirl wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Was/is he an assistant at a PAC-12 school? I am not referring to Grace, but is he Afro-American?
No and yes.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:

The obvious name would be David Grace with his SoCal connections, but that would be too obvious.
Miller hates Grace.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Simon
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Azgirl wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
No and yes.
Does said coach have the potential to bring any big name players with him?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Not that I'm aware of.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
Not that I'm aware of.
Is he bigger than a bread box?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Azgirl wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
No and yes.
Warmer

baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
A) I have no reason not to be. I'm not going to lie, I had to look the guy up and you will too if he's the guy. I'm a pretty big diehard and I had no idea who he was
Thank You Choo! I can now take this off of the things I think about!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Being a shadowy figure usually walks hand in hand with being a good recruiter.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Well if you had to look the guy up I guess Levar Ball is out...dammit
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

David Lee
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

We any closer to an annoucement or any info to share? This to me is a critical hire......start the ball rolling in the right direction.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote:We any closer to an annoucement or any info to share? This to me is a critical hire......start the ball rolling in the right direction.
Nope. If Miller didnt rush to hire a guy for this weekend then he's in no hurry. Not sure where we're at, but it's certainly on the backburner at the moment.
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

TheCat wrote:We any closer to an annoucement or any info to share? This to me is a critical hire......start the ball rolling in the right direction.
I agree TC, to me the fact Arizona hasn't found a recruiter type of Asst. Coach does not look favorably. I think this is a tragedy mistake by Miller to wait so long.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Azgirl wrote:
I agree TC, to me the fact Arizona hasn't found a recruiter type of Asst. Coach does not look favorably. I think this is a tragedy mistake by Miller to wait so long.
What if he is finding the reception to be less than favorible. Does he settle or work his ass off to Get the right person?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

azcat49 wrote:
Azgirl wrote:
What if he is finding the reception to be less than favorible. Does he settle or work his ass off to Get the right person?
Personally I think that the person he wanted, he couldn't wrap up but not due to effort on his part. So yes he is trying to find the best available right now.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

BY "recruiter type of assistant", does one mean one who has great ongoing relationships with the people already (or about to be) indicted by the FBI???

Just askin'
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Ned Zissou

Post by Ned Zissou »

Did we forget to hire a third assistant coach?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Ned Zissou wrote:Did we forget to hire a third assistant coach?
Levar Ball just came back from Lithuania...just saying
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I know Sean has been busy but any movement on this front?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Does Jordan Brown's dad need a job
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote:I know Sean has been busy but any movement on this front?
None.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Does Miller just not want (or see the need for) another assistant?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Does Miller just not want (or see the need for) another assistant?
He's just not in any rush. He's already done some legwork, but at the moment he can afford to be patient. Trust is a big factor in this one.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:Does Miller just not want (or see the need for) another assistant?
He's just not in any rush. He's already done some legwork, but at the moment he can afford to be patient. Trust is a big factor in this one.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
An assistant can't really help this year's recruiting class, and that's pretty much the major task right now. I understand being patient when there isn't a pressing need and I assume no one has jumped out.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I would also think that showing AZ can still recruit would or could attract a top line guy after we wrap up this class. The top guys for the next class have us on the radar and Miller can sell that
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed May 09, 2018 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

New York or Chicago guy maybe?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:I would also think that showing AZ can still recruit would or could attract a top line guy after we wrap up this class. The top guys for the next class have us on the radar and Miller can sell that
Another thought. Given that the last year in public purgatory was touched off by the reckless actions of an assistant coach, I understand Miller being cautious with this hire of an assistant coach.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Makes perfect sense. Miller did ALL the heavy lifting with this recruiting class. He rolled up his sleeves and saved the program from a disaster. He doesn't need to make a quick hire to help with recruiting. But he's also proven that the FBI mess didn't hinder his ability to attract top talent. That points to Miller have much more leverage on hiring a top flight assistant coach.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

FWIW I think the guy I initially referred to earlier is going to be the guy. I have no idea if it's done though or have any timeline on it, but barring him saying no I think he's the guy.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Hey, as long as it's a guy. That narrows it down. :lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

catgrad97 wrote:Hey, as long as it's a guy. That narrows it down. :lol:
Lol hey at least I've provided some hints about who he is. When I know it's done or trending that way I'll provide more, promise.
prh

Post by prh »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Lol hey at least I've provided some hints about who he is. When I know it's done or trending that way I'll provide more, promise.
I recall west coast assistant, but not P12. Black, really good recruiter. Someone we'll have to google.

Miss anything?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I recall west coast assistant, but not P12. Black, really good recruiter. Someone we'll have to google.

Miss anything?
Nope, you got it.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

We stealing romar back from pepperdine?

Guess we wouldn't have to Google him.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Total shot in the dark ...... Patrick Sandle?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:Total shot in the dark ...... Patrick Sandle?
Nope, but you're on the right track.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Patrick Stewart?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Patrick Stewart?
William Shatner?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

LeVar Burton?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Ray Bolger?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion