Is the 2019 Class worth it?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Is the 2019 Class worth it?

Post by Beachcat97 »

Luke would be fantastic for recruiting. Beyond that, hard to say.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Yes yes yes to retaining Miller and seeing what that class could do. No no no on Luke Walton or any alum taking over unless it was Kerr
I am not sure I understand this dislike for Luke as a potential coach for us. Sure if I said Miles Simon or Damon or Jason gardner I understand that.

But Luke has a big name, was known as a very smart player, did a good job with the Lakers from year 1-2 and candidly year 3 before lebron got hurt. I mean to me he is in no way a no no no candidate. Miles would be but I think Luke has great potential as a coach especially in a college setting. He has young kids and his wife is from Tucson so we would maybe get loyalty too that if he did have success he wouldn’t be looking to leave right away.

One thing I have been wrong on is why ever coach in college over the NBA. The thing with college is the coaches are the stars and you can become a god in a city or college. Zero chance you do that in the NBA anymore. Coaches are a dime a dozen in professional sport especially NBA. I could not name more then 10 active head coaches and I am a big fan of the NBA. Here today gone today. Players have all the power

No clue who coaches the suns or Portland or Utah or Memphis or Toronto or knicks or kings etc. it’s the opposite in college where I can’t name one person on Tennessee or Kentucky or any top team outside of Zion at Duke. But I know rick Barnes coaches Rocky top and Gregg Marshall is at Wichita state etc
I strongly strongly strongly dislike the hiring an alum approach on coaching hires unless it's a no brainer. Luke Walton is a far thing from a no brainer IMO.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:I only go to YouTube to read the comments.
Look, I know this losing streak is bad, but you're punishing yourself in ways no one deserves.
That sounds like Lizard People talk.
More like Crab People.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:I strongly strongly strongly dislike the hiring an alum approach on coaching hires unless it's a no brainer. Luke Walton is a far thing from a no brainer IMO.
Maybe, but is there an alum out there you'd take over Luke?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I strongly strongly strongly dislike the hiring an alum approach on coaching hires unless it's a no brainer. Luke Walton is a far thing from a no brainer IMO.
Nope, hence I wouldn't hire an alum.....until T.J. McConnell retires from the NBA.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Nope, hence I wouldn't hire an alum.....until T.J. McConnell retires from the NBA.
Jason Gardner
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Jason Gardner
Not any time soon. He's been at Fort Wayne for 5 years and this is his first winning season and he's only 14-10.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Jason Gardner
Not any time soon. He's been at Fort Wayne for 5 years and this is his first winning season and he's only 14-10.
He’s actually in Indy. And he has zero resources. They have a fairly recently renovated 75+ year old arena that’s about 30 blocks from downtown, and 40 blocks from their campus out at the fairgrounds. I think they may practice at one of the high schools.

He’s definitely fighting an uphill battle. The talent level of his kids is pretty low, but they play hard and smart.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
So I am so confused. I don’t believe in hiring an alum just to hire an alum but sometimes an alum can work out very well with someone like Adia Barnes.

But again I don’t understand lumping Luke into that category in terms of he has coaching experience at the highest level, I think did a great job last year as that Lakers team was vastly improved over the one the year before. He also played in the NBA a ton longer then he ever should have because he is a very very smart player. I think he would be a good candidate regardless. Big west coast name, wife is from Tucson etc

Jason Gardner fits into that category perfectly in terms of hiring an alum just to hire an alum. I would be totally against that anytime soon. Same with damon.

I do think TJ will make a great coach one day but that is very far off

Again who knows if Luke even would want to do it but I do think he is getting fired unfortunately so will be available

I don’t understand thinking he is a completely unreasonable replacement for Miller

Every single one
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

I do think Luke would be a good recruiter. It also helps that he's been taught by the best of the best. IMO I'd rather have Miller (for now at least) but if we were to go the alum route it would definitely be Luke.

I also think a Walton w\ Walton game would be unbearable after the second game. :)
Mike Luke's burner account.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
So I am so confused. I don’t believe in hiring an alum just to hire an alum but sometimes an alum can work out very well with someone like Adia Barnes.

But again I don’t understand lumping Luke into that category in terms of he has coaching experience at the highest level, I think did a great job last year as that Lakers team was vastly improved over the one the year before. He also played in the NBA a ton longer then he ever should have because he is a very very smart player. I think he would be a good candidate regardless. Big west coast name, wife is from Tucson etc

Jason Gardner fits into that category perfectly in terms of hiring an alum just to hire an alum. I would be totally against that anytime soon. Same with damon.

Again who knows if Luke even would want to do it but I do think he is getting fired unfortunately so will be available

I don’t understand thinking he is a completely unreasonable replacement for Miller

Every single one
Yeah Adia has worked, but also it's not as if Arizona women's basketball ever had an option for a better choice.

Look to me it depends on the options we actually have at our disposal. I'm not sold on Luke Walton as a head coach as he's given me no reason to be. Some pro guys can work on the college level (Musselman for instance), but most don't want to bother with the recruiting aspect, not to mention coaching the NBA game is completely different than the NCAA game. If Arizona can't get any option better than Luke then sure bring him on, but he'd be considerably down my list under current NCAA guys.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Every single one
Yeah Adia has worked, but also it's not as if Arizona women's basketball ever had an option for a better choice.

Look to me it depends on the options we actually have at our disposal. I'm not sold on Luke Walton as a head coach as he's given me no reason to be. Some pro guys can work on the college level (Musselman for instance), but most don't want to bother with the recruiting aspect, not to mention coaching the NBA game is completely different than the NCAA game. If Arizona can't get any option better than Luke then sure bring him on, but he'd be considerably down my list under current NCAA guys.
I just think this is an agreed to disagree situation. I think Luke is an excellent prospect as a coach for us for a variety of different reasons not just that he is an alum.

Again, in college basketball the coaches are the stars not the players. Luke is learning the hard way right now how the superstar players run the NBA nowadays
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

False dichotomy + red herring = let’s stick to reality. Miller is continuing.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Longhorned wrote:False dichotomy + red herring = let’s stick to reality. Miller is continuing.
For only a couple of years

Went to the UCI basketball game tonight against USCB. Yelled at Pasternack a bunch for being sloppy. He is short as shit, I guess I never knew how short.

Russell Turner from UCI is a good coach. If they make the tourney they might be able to upset someone in the first round. He should have gotten a better job by now but apparently he likes the lifestyle at UCI

This is my life now, cheering for UCI basketball
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Hothead take incoming:

Fuck any fan who bitches right now and questions Miller amidst the losses and injuries. He’s proven more than capable of winning. He’s proven more than capable of being a great coach at Arizona.

If you’re so fucking insecure in your fandom you can’t weather a losing streak, Get The Fuck Out.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

JMarkJohns wrote:Hothead take incoming:

Fuck any fan who bitches right now and questions Miller amidst the losses and injuries. He’s proven more than capable of winning. He’s proven more than capable of being a great coach at Arizona.

If you’re so fucking insecure in your fandom you can’t weather a losing streak, Get The Fuck Out.
Preach it! I want Miller here until he decides to retire.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

There’s definitely something to be said in favor of keeping a coach through thick and thin, provided he’s never knowingly broken NCAA rules and then tried to cover it up.

Cuse has stuck with Boeheim through major scandals and several NIT seasons. I doubt there are too many Cuse fans who’d have preferred they fired him 10 years ago.

Do you think UT wishes they had Rick Barnes back? Any UCLA fans out there who wish they’d stuck it out with Howland?

When you fire someone who’s had as much success as Miller, you’re living a little dangerously.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Keep Miller till all the bad news is out, till we get all the sanctions, then get a coach when it is time to reboot.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Sometimes the absolute hardest thing to do is nothing. The cliche patience is a virtue readily applies here. Also: don't suffer future pain.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I am concerned because the last four losses UA has still even with injuries had the major advantage in terms of talent. Well asu was close but UA still had the talent edge and the other three losses UA had major advantage. I am going off the 247 composite rankings for players who played at least 8 minutes in the game.

A bad game or two is one thing but 4 in a row when having the talent edge is concerning.

Unless you want to say Miller does very poorly on player development or that Miller just somehow always gets the guys who are overrated stars wise
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So we are going to act like injuries to your best players should mean nothing because of how backups were rated in high school? We are going to pretend that practicing and playing together as a cohesive unit should remain totally consistent when guys are out because of how backup freshmen and sophomores played against high school talent?

You don’t even concern troll well Machina.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

More loser talk Machina
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I’m concerned not just because of the losses, but also because of the product of average wingspan multiplied by the degree of curvature on the average arc of made free throws my minus turkey burger.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAEebs86 wrote:More loser talk Machina
Facts are facts. UA has much more talent still and there is obviously something else going on. Will the team have more talent next year? Seems almost certain. But will the team be stronger mentally is what is more important
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:I’m concerned not just because of the losses, but also because of the product of average wingspan multiplied by the degree of curvature on the average arc of made free throws my minus turkey burger.
https://www.winknews.com/2019/02/16/63- ... -outbreak/" target="_blank

Finally we know what's at the heart of this season's struggle. And I thought we all were just gluttons for punishment ;) .
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Ground turkey?

Getting salmonella from eating whatever that is sounds like about the right outcome.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

One bad batch can ground an entire program.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:Hothead take incoming:

Amen.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Maybe Machina is your brother's turkey burger burps.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

;)

~ Wilhoit's Law
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

You have to consider depth along with talent. And what positions that talent is at.
No back up center, both 4s are undersized.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We’re also down a player (Akot) who probably would’ve been getting 15-20 minutes at this point. He had his shortcomings, but we’re missing his size. Our bench is depressingly short.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:We’re also down a player (Akot) who probably would’ve been getting 15-20 minutes at this point. He had his shortcomings, but we’re missing his size. Our bench is depressingly short.
He was also pretty big to our D, IMO. Lee and Luther can't cover smaller 4's like Akot could. We lost a fair amount of defensive flexibility with Akot.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: I strongly strongly strongly dislike the hiring an alum approach on coaching hires unless it's a no brainer. Luke Walton is a far thing from a no brainer IMO.
This. X 100.

Maybe Luke becomes that one day. But he doesn't seem to have a ton of interest in the college game.

Kerr is someone I think would slide in and be fantastic from day 1, mostly because I think he would draw an amazing staff of assistants to teach him the game. Plus, Steve Kerr can do anything.

Programs have driven off the rails chasing the alumni coach...
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:More loser talk Machina
Facts are facts. UA has much more talent still and there is obviously something else going on. Will the team have more talent next year? Seems almost certain. But will the team be stronger mentally is what is more important
yeah...we have 743 wings. Which is awesome at a Final Four party, with ranch and bleu cheese for all the varieties, but not for making a Final Four.

No true PG. One post player, 3 total "big" men, and that includes Luther, who is more of a stretch 4 than anything.

Great.

A baseball team with 26 3rd basemen should win because the 26 players were all in the national top 50, right?
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Longhorned wrote:I’m concerned not just because of the losses, but also because of the product of average wingspan multiplied by the degree of curvature on the average arc of made free throws my minus turkey burger.
I hear you LH. Your objective analysis is necessary.

But you still don't address the question "Does the inverse arc of the paramecium connect securely with the aperture on the bottom of the standamecis? Would mayo on the turkey burger improve the prospects of your calculus? Perhaps. Louisiana Hot Sauce. Good grief it's great to have you back here Longhorned!
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Right now, I'm all in for Sean Miller unless some incriminating evidence surfaces and that hasn't happened. And if it hasn't happened after a year and a half, I don't think it's going to happen. Which is why I'm all in for Sean Miller.

Having said that, yes, Walton would be choice #1. He relates to young players, has cred, etc... and could easily sell the Arizona brand.

Choice #2? Miles Simon. See Walton but to a lesser degree. And yes, we'd need some really good X&O assistants to teach and strategize. But Miles would be a solid choice.

Choice #3? Damon. See Simon.

Otherwise, it would be a tough pull to get a successful head coach to leave for Arizona.