Ąžuolas Tubelis

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

Re: Ąžuolas Tubelis

Post by Irish27 »

Lloyd needs to rest him until he is 100% healthy. Need to have him healthy for March.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I bet he doesn't play against ASSu if his mother wasn't there.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

CTL should have gotten TT into game, unless he still has concussion issues.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Irish27 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:15 pm Lloyd needs to rest him until he is 100% healthy. Need to have him healthy for March.
Agreed...but the stakes this Thursday are higher than I would've anticipated when the season began. Pac title and higher tourney seed on the line.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:20 pm
Irish27 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:15 pm Lloyd needs to rest him until he is 100% healthy. Need to have him healthy for March.
Agreed...but the stakes this Thursday are higher than I would've anticipated when the season began. Pac title and higher tourney seed on the line.
His ankle won't get better any better based on the stakes of the game.

I don't want to have a Ashley re-run. Get him healthy no matter what.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:20 pm
Not that high. I'd rather a healthy Tubelis and a 3-4 seed than a hobbled Tubelis and a 1-2 seed. A Pac title doesn't mean a whole lot to me.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

18 and 11 tonight and played like a mad man in the paint on offense and defense. All that with a “healing” ankle.

Hats off to you AT. You were the difference. Way to BTFD!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Don't sleep on Keyser Söze.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

no lift hes still hurt - guy is a damn tough son-of-a-gun tho...man im glad he wears an AZ uniform.

huge props
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

No. 4 Arizona cruises past Arizona State in battle of state rivals

"They go with those high lows. They're good with finding a way to really duck in, and wide bodies. Tubelis is really looking a lot better than in our first matchup. He's moving better. They have multiple ways they can beat you. It's rare a team has that quality of an inside game that can go in half court offense yet be very lethal in the open court too in transition with the athleticism of their wings."

~ Bobby Hurley

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 656163001/
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:11 pm No. 4 Arizona cruises past Arizona State in battle of state rivals

"They go with those high lows. They're good with finding a way to really duck in, and wide bodies. Tubelis is really looking a lot better than in our first matchup. He's moving better. They have multiple ways they can beat you. It's rare a team has that quality of an inside game that can go in half court offense yet be very lethal in the open court too in transition with the athleticism of their wings."

~ Bobby Hurley

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 656163001/
This quote is worthless if he didn't say it with poop in his pants, though I'm nearly certain he did.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Its crazy how used to him running the ball up the court Ive become. Dude is all of 6'10" and crosses over guards with ease.

Too small?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

My 8 year old son asked me if he could change his middle name to Tubelis.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Just putting this out there...does AT have an outside shot at Pac POY? As Benn's awesomeness has waned a little, AT is now the reigning Pac player of the week and seemingly just about back to full speed.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:30 pm My 8 year old son asked me if he could change his middle name to Tubelis.

Bet he can pronounce better than Casey Jacobsen among others.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:32 pm Just putting this out there...does AT have an outside shot at Pac POY? As Benn's awesomeness has waned a little, AT is now the reigning Pac player of the week and seemingly just about back to full speed.
I think we have too many really good players and don't showcase just 1 guy so it makes if difficult for anyone on this year's team to get that award.... but we might get like 6 guys with All Pac honors this year
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

IMHO he is the best player on the team. If he plays the rest of the season at the level he has the last two games he will be POY.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Merkin wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:32 pm
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:30 pm My 8 year old son asked me if he could change his middle name to Tubelis.

He can!

Dude, Casey was all over the place last night, getting wrong teams fouls, mathurin at 6'4", slaughtering names, I'm not sure what the hell he said when he said was talking about zu's twin brother trying to pronounce his name.

It was cracking me up.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:38 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:32 pm Just putting this out there...does AT have an outside shot at Pac POY? As Benn's awesomeness has waned a little, AT is now the reigning Pac player of the week and seemingly just about back to full speed.
I think we have too many really good players and don't showcase just 1 guy so it makes if difficult for anyone on this year's team to get that award.... but we might get like 6 guys with All Pac honors this year
I'm just not seeing a single Pac player who's clearly separated himself from the others. I guess Terrell Brown would be the current leader, given the crazy scoring numbers he's put up. He also leads the Pac in steals. But UW is irrelevant af this year.

Juzang could still make a run at it if he finishes the reg season strong.

Mobley has big numbers, so he's in the mix.

Same with Richardson on Oregon.

Then there's our guys. Benn is still 3rd in scoring, right behind TB and JJ, but those two have played better lately. Tubelis is currently 6th in the Pac in scoring and 10th in rebounding.

Think it's still wide open at this point, and there's no reason Tubelis can't win it if he keeps up the way he's been playing.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

The team that wins the PAC, gets their player the MVP.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Arizona has a two game lead on first place, unless that changes the POY will be a Wildcat
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

MountainCat wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:14 pm The team that wins the PAC, gets their player the MVP.
TJ McConnell would beg to differ. Fucking Joe Young and that garbage Oregon team.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

YoDeFoe wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:30 pm
MountainCat wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:14 pm The team that wins the PAC, gets their player the MVP.
TJ McConnell would beg to differ. Fucking Joe Young and that garbage Oregon team.
Yes.... that was complete horse shit
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:51 pm
Merkin wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:32 pm

He can!

Dude, Casey was all over the place last night, getting wrong teams fouls, mathurin at 6'4", slaughtering names, I'm not sure what the hell he said when he said was talking about zu's twin brother trying to pronounce his name.

It was cracking me up.
And he went to Stanford…
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

If Ben finishes strong, especially on the road he is a shoe in.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:41 pm If Ben finishes strong, especially on the road he is a shoe in.
i agree - i believe hes poised to have a big game in Pullman
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Well I wont pick Benn for RAP, seems the universe realizes after a few games of me picking him in a row and penalizes him for it.
On an unrelated ish note, I heard you could get zona as natty champs at 14 to 1 today.

Thought about dropping a c note on that, but then I I thought about all those bracket challenges I entered with Arizona winning it all, and then in 97 I had them lose in the first round and everyone was astonished, but not as astonished as they were when I told them I did it so that my cats would win the tournament, because obviously me chosing them on my bracket is holding them back. Then they won and I was right.
-Norlander.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

https://evanmiya.com/

OBPR: Offensive Bayesian Performance Rating reflects the offensive value a player brings to his team when he is on the court. This rating incorporates a player's individual efficiency stats and on-court play-by-play impact, and also accounts for the offensive strength of other teammates on the floor with him, along with the defensive strength of the opponent's players on the floor. A higher rating is better.
DBPR: Defensive Bayesian Performance Rating reflects the defensive value a player brings to his team when he is on the court. This rating incorporates a player's individual efficiency stats and on-court play-by-play impact, and also accounts for the defensive strength of other teammates on the floor with him, along with the offensive strength of the opponent's players on the floor. A higher rating is better.
BPR: Bayesian Performance Rating is the sum of a player's OBPR and DBPR. This rating is the ultimate measure of a player's overall value to his team when he is on the floor. A higher rating is better
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Well goddamn, would you look at that
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Not surprising that Kerr is the lowest rated on the team
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Tubelis is almost comically consistent too. With the exception of the 3 post ankle games where he was limited, he scored in double figures in 16 of 18 games and shot above .500 in 14 of 18.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

His free throw shooting is the only exception to his consistency
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:13 pm His free throw shooting is the only exception to his consistency
and missed bunnies.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

He hasn't looked right in a while, just looks off.

Could be that's in a really bad slump with him missing bunnies but he's missed a couple dunks now which highlights how he's lost a step and a bounce.

I'm a little concerned tbh, especially this late in the season
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I know FERPA and HIPAA rules are really strict, but was wondering if he is battling some nagging injuries. He isn't the first one down the court anymore after a rebound. Maybe twice a game now.

Reminds me a bit when Luke Walton had some ankle or knee issues. His Thursday game would be an A, but the Saturday game a C. Lute would hold him out of practice a few days so he could rest up and heal up a bit.

And with teams packing the paint to prevent the lobs to C-Lo and Ballo, there is a lot of banging on going on.

Also like Lloyd said, Zu really needs to work on using his right hand. He had a clear path to the right hand side of the basket v. Cal, and still tried to lay it on the left side with his left hand, with a defender there.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

5:51: "I think we're getting an amazing foundation built and next year, I think you know, we'll see what happens but I think there's amazing potential for him to take an even bigger jump"

Gimme a junior Tubelis!

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:05 pm
RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:13 pm His free throw shooting is the only exception to his consistency
and missed bunnies.
In my day a “bunny” was an uncontested layup…

… he doesn’t miss uncontested layups!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:16 am He hasn't looked right in a while, just looks off.

Could be that's in a really bad slump with him missing bunnies but he's missed a couple dunks now which highlights how he's lost a step and a bounce.

I've been concerned about this for a while. He's lost a step and is not as quick and agile as I'm used to seeing. He's a bit heavier too. When Tubelis came here I was expecting to see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dreAFGd2CZ0

The good thing about Tubelis is that his B- game is still all conference and can give us what we need down the stretch. But for those who love his game, you feel like you're being cheated. I hope he comes back next year (and heals up, if he needs to), he could be a national player just like Mathurin.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

He was completely dominant for a stretch against Colorado. He's still got it. There just a bit of a dominance traffic jam on our squad. Good problem to have.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If we make a final 4 Tubells will be the determining factor.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RawleArenas wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:05 pm
RondaeShimmy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:16 am He hasn't looked right in a while, just looks off.

I've been concerned about this for a while. He's lost a step and is not as quick and agile as I'm used to seeing. He's a bit heavier too. When Tubelis came here I was expecting to see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dreAFGd2CZ0

The good thing about Tubelis is that his B- game is still all conference and can give us what we need down the stretch. But for those who love his game, you feel like you're being cheated. I hope he comes back next year (and heals up, if he needs to), he could be a national player just like Mathurin.

And not one shot in that video with his right hand. Like Lloyd said, if he stays they will teach him in the off season how to use his off hand.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

I was at the game behind the basket opposite AZ team bench. And the first few plays of the game it looked like Tubelis had no lift. I hope his ankle isn’t bothering him. If he was even decent - TCU had no answer for him. The guy guarding him to start the game was 3/4inches shorter and gave up 25 lbs.
Last edited by jajoyce on Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Zu was not ready for the physicality of this game.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

He has to be so much stronger underneath.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He looked like he was hurting. When he got back in the game in the second half he was two steps slow and Tommy almost immediately pulled him again.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He used to be the first player down the court during a fast break.

His one dunk was the only quickness I have seen from him. Body just seems worn out.

How many games does Euros play?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

I think the TCU guys are too small but fast for him that he can't stay in front of them. They went around him for offensive rebounds a lot.

Houston could very well be the same.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Is it just me or is Tubelis a very explosive on foot jumper but subpar off of two feet?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

very very very poor game

its all mental with him - if hes engaged hes amazing, and if hes just not feeling it well hes just not gonna try.

fucking bizzaro