Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EVCat

Re: Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Post by EVCat »

I finally got around to watching the documentary "At All Costs". For those who haven't seen it, the film is a pretty straight-forward, no moralizing expose on AAU ball mostly starring our own PJC and dad Ramon, along with the Compton Magic machine and a disgusting conversation in an MGM suite at PAC 12 tourney '13 between Gabe York and the head of adidas Compton Magic that will make your stomach turn.

As for PJC tho...I increased my level of respect for him watching this. A thoughtful kid, clearly from upper middle class trappings, who may never have had a date or hung out a day in his life that didn't occur on a campus visit or road tourney. PJC was a road dog, and rode hard by dad Ramon, who was not above pushing get PJC until he literally started breaking down.

I was impressed with Parker as a road weary 16 year old...tough but philosophical, if not a little depressed. But mostly I am impressed that he has stuck with it and thrived and still seems to want it after dealing with the live-thru-u monster that is Ramon. That man wants one thing...HIS due for making babies that can shoot a ball. Apparently he will be Parker's agent come the time that becomes appropriate. He is an absolute monster...and I can see how to separate what people like 97Cats say about Ramon and his heavy handed tactics and the kid, who seems a bit above that shit storm and just focused on playing. No kid should have to spend their summers proving they are still the #34 5th grader, and didn't slip from their 4th grade rating...doing this all the way through. I get it...it's the game. But I can see Ramon being the cause of any discord with that camp, while I bet Parker winces and just plays
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Where can I find this documentary? I'm addicted to good documentaries on subjects of interest and this seems to be perfect viewing pleasure for me.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Longhorned wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:I'll temper my enthusiasm a little because I remember last year when he was two different players at McKale and away in the conference.
Don't die easy, Dave!
Obviously I don't, since I'll be an octogenarian in 2 weeks. However, you did not quote my whole post as in "as good or better than ever." And yes, the trip to the state of Northern California gave me great pleasure and hope.

I tell the newbies to college hoops that I talk to in order to have a live conversation that the Pac-12 consists of 2 teams from each of 6 western states. Southern Cal and Utarado are the other less obvious ones.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:I'll temper my enthusiasm a little because I remember last year when he was two different players at McKale and away in the conference.
Don't die easy, Dave!
Obviously I don't, since I'll be an octogenarian in 2 weeks. However, you did not quote my whole post as in "as good or better than ever." And yes, the trip to the state of Northern California gave me great pleasure and hope.

I tell the newbies to college hoops that I talk to in order to have a live conversation that the Pac-12 consists of 2 teams from each of 6 western states. Southern Cal and Utarado are the other less obvious ones.
I'm with those who have noticed that PJC's good games were coming off the bench his first season and against weak teams at home his second season. So I haven't been optimistic, but then he played well in the Bay Area. Against a good Utah team he was great until he got back in the game deep enough into the second half when Miller put the offense in first gear to squeeze clock out of possessions.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

PennZona20 wrote:Where can I find this documentary? I'm addicted to good documentaries on subjects of interest and this seems to be perfect viewing pleasure for me.
It's on Netflix.

Btw, what I found ironic is he experienced an ankle injury during the end of his final AAU season but recovered pretty quickly. It also showed Gabe 's unhappiness around his lack of playing time during his first year at Arizona and he seriously was talking about going somewhere else.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

EastCoastCat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:It also showed Gabe 's unhappiness around his lack of playing time during his first year at Arizona and he seriously was talking about going somewhere else.
Good thing he didn't, or he would have been another whatever happened to that guy
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Great comeback weekend

Keep it up PJC
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PJCs nickname should be the finisher. Dude has nutted up in the closing minutes of several games. Big passes and big shots in at least four wins that were close games in the closing minutes. Michigan State, Utah, Colorado, drawin a blank on the fourth
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
baconus66 wrote:9 Ast 0 TO 4 points 2 steals 3 rbs

PJC is back!!!
and as good or better than ever. But this was at home. I'll temper my enthusiasm a little because I remember last year when he was two different players at McKale and away in the conference.
To be fair, PJC hasnt really shit the bed at all this year outside of a few instances/spurts in a game, and he really has improved top to bottom, outside of his shot, which started slow last year and got hot in the 2nd. I figured this year would repeat the last in that aspect, but he missed a huge chunk of time so He may not have enough time to find that rhythm. His play overall though, Im more optimistic that he has turned that corner and wont think otherwise until he actually stinks it up on the road more than an isolated game or two.

The Michigan State game I mentioned above was ehh, but the dude turned it around and had two or three key plays that were instrumental in winning that game. The old PJC wouldnt have done that
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We're finally getting to see what the coaching staff saw in PJC during his recruitment. When he plays like he has been, he might as well be 6' 1".
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:We're finally getting to see what the coaching staff saw in PJC during his recruitment. When he plays like he has been, he might as well be 6' 1".
Once he rediscovers his 3 point shooting touch he might as well be 6'5.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:We're finally getting to see what the coaching staff saw in PJC during his recruitment. When he plays like he has been, he might as well be 6' 1".

I'm just waiting till he's the worst player on the floor for both teams again. And it won't even be close.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat wrote:I finally got around to watching the documentary "At All Costs". For those who haven't seen it, the film is a pretty straight-forward, no moralizing expose on AAU ball mostly starring our own PJC and dad Ramon, along with the Compton Magic machine and a disgusting conversation in an MGM suite at PAC 12 tourney '13 between Gabe York and the head of adidas Compton Magic that will make your stomach turn.

As for PJC tho...I increased my level of respect for him watching this. A thoughtful kid, clearly from upper middle class trappings, who may never have had a date or hung out a day in his life that didn't occur on a campus visit or road tourney. PJC was a road dog, and rode hard by dad Ramon, who was not above pushing get PJC until he literally started breaking down.

I was impressed with Parker as a road weary 16 year old...tough but philosophical, if not a little depressed. But mostly I am impressed that he has stuck with it and thrived and still seems to want it after dealing with the live-thru-u monster that is Ramon. That man wants one thing...HIS due for making babies that can shoot a ball. Apparently he will be Parker's agent come the time that becomes appropriate. He is an absolute monster...and I can see how to separate what people like 97Cats say about Ramon and his heavy handed tactics and the kid, who seems a bit above that shit storm and just focused on playing. No kid should have to spend their summers proving they are still the #34 5th grader, and didn't slip from their 4th grade rating...doing this all the way through. I get it...it's the game. But I can see Ramon being the cause of any discord with that camp, while I bet Parker winces and just plays
Ramon sounds like Marv Marinovich. Hope he doesn't have an uncle named Doug with internet access. Felt bad for Jason Gardner. Now I feel bad for Parker.

From an SI article on Todd Marinovich:

He has never eaten a Big Mac or an Oreo or a Ding Dong. When he went to birthday parties as a kid, he would take his own cake and ice cream to avoid sugar and refined white flour. He would eat homemade catsup, prepared with honey. He did consume beef but not the kind injected with hormones. He ate only unprocessed dairy products. He teethed on frozen kidney. When Todd was one month old, Marv was already working on his son's physical conditioning. He stretched his hamstrings. Pushups were next. Marv invented a game in which Todd would try to lift a medicine ball onto a kitchen counter. Marv also put him on a balance beam. Both activities grew easier when Todd learned to walk. There was a football in Todd's crib from day one. "Not a real NFL ball," says Marv. "That would be sick; it was a stuffed ball."
Right where I want to be.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

I have no idea if the rest of that paragraph is true but the first sentence is false.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

baycat93 wrote:I have no idea if the rest of that paragraph is true but the first sentence is false.
Even when it was written around 25 years ago?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Nor a Snickers bar.

Wonder how Marv feels now after the total wreck Todd became.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
baycat93 wrote:I have no idea if the rest of that paragraph is true but the first sentence is false.
Even when it was written around 25 years ago?
Based on the 30 for 30, a lot of the RoboQB was a myth.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Another victim of this parental obsession in sports is Andre Agassi. But unlike Marinovich, and in spite of his dumbass father, Andre is doing well ... although he still hates tennis. I'm hoping for the same for Parker. Seems like an intelligent, sensitive kid.
Some parents ...
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

EVCat wrote:I finally got around to watching the documentary "At All Costs". For those who haven't seen it, the film is a pretty straight-forward, no moralizing expose on AAU ball mostly starring our own PJC and dad Ramon, along with the Compton Magic machine and a disgusting conversation in an MGM suite at PAC 12 tourney '13 between Gabe York and the head of adidas Compton Magic that will make your stomach turn.
sounds like a good docu -- anyone know if it's available for streaming anywhere outside of vod & itunes?
gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

dirtbags wrote:
sounds like a good docu -- anyone know if it's available for streaming anywhere outside of vod & itunes?
netflix
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Parker has been solid in his return. Hopefully that continues. Regardless, just having another rotation player on the perimeter is a huge deal. If he continues evolving into a good A/TO ratio guy, that does even more.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That is sad to hear that about his dad after I was so impressed with him as a person when I met him. I'm going to try to watch that documentary tonight to see for myself. At the end of the day, parenting is tough. While there are fathers who are these types of fathers for selfish reasons, there are certainly others who are overboard because they are control freaks by nature, or they want the absolute best for their kids and never learned that you can only have so much of a hand in that. My father was far from the worst case, but he was too much quite often until I snapped at him after he pushed me too far. He backed off completely and I wish he hadn't. I'm somebody who (athletically) needed to be pushed a bit, but after my father backed off I never had anyone push me, my college coaches were all hands off. I would have been a lot better had I gotten that, but I learned a tremendous life lesson - people aren't going to push you in the real world, and I have since become very independent and self motivated. I'm sure it is hard to find that perfect balance as a father.

I know for certain that his intentions were good. His grandfather turned down a professional baseball contract for an alcoholic woman who ended up leaving him for another man and taking his kids with her; my dad's father was a semi-professional hockey player as a teenager who gave up hope after sustaining an injury while at war; and he was a college baseball player who got injured and chose to chase after a girl rather than deal with adversity, only to be left by said girl and watch two of his HS teammates play in the major leagues. I look at it now and it makes perfect sense. So who knows what the case could be with his father, but I try my hardest not to demonize some of these fathers because there are many reasons why this sort of thing happens.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I would really be interested in your take on it given your story.

I see it as too much. As a dad of a club soccer player who is a varsity player as a sophomore and has gotten some small college interest, I am immersed in the culture but often see the worst. My go-to phrase is "Adults ruin youth sports." I do not push a lot, but my daughter is also a badass self-motivator in the classroom and on the field at a level where when I do intercede, I find it can actually break her when she has small failures because she is already on herself hard enough. Her first and only B, in an honor's course where it is scored 4.0, and was the 2nd highest grade in the class (no A's...which is really shitty in this world of escalating college costs, when the kids she is in competition with for school money are not in this teacher's class and are pulling A's with half the effort my daughter expended in this class), and she broke. She broke because I have been clear that B's could cost her the chance to go to school where she wants, because we will be limited to in state if we are partially or fully paying. I meant B's plural, not a single B, and not a B that weights as an A. But she felt like she had blown it despite having an insane PSAT score and a 4.6 GPA. And that was because I pushed...she definitely does not need it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat wrote:I would really be interested in your take on it given your story.

I see it as too much. As a dad of a club soccer player who is a varsity player as a sophomore and has gotten some small college interest, I am immersed in the culture but often see the worst. My go-to phrase is "Adults ruin youth sports." I do not push a lot, but my daughter is also a badass self-motivator in the classroom and on the field at a level where when I do intercede, I find it can actually break her when she has small failures because she is already on herself hard enough. Her first and only B, in an honor's course where it is scored 4.0, and was the 2nd highest grade in the class (no A's...which is really shitty in this world of escalating college costs, when the kids she is in competition with for school money are not in this teacher's class and are pulling A's with half the effort my daughter expended in this class), and she broke. She broke because I have been clear that B's could cost her the chance to go to school where she wants, because we will be limited to in state if we are partially or fully paying. I meant B's plural, not a single B, and not a B that weights as an A. But she felt like she had blown it despite having an insane PSAT score and a 4.6 GPA. And that was because I pushed...she definitely does not need it.
Sounds like my daughter, though she has yet to experience that first B. I've told her it's OK, but it isn't with her.

For what it's worth, I've talked with college deans and admissions people, and they aren't slavishly devoted to GPA. They are fully aware of the vagaries of grading and that some teachers are tougher. The types of courses and the standardized score are bulwarks against grade inflation. The essays do matter, along with extracurriculars. My son got into Univ. of Washington, with a lower GPA than some of his classmates who were rejected. Hard to know why, but probably because they didn't challenge themselves as much. Also, not enough kids apply, because they've heard the stories about how hard it is to get in (and those stories are overblown).

I don't think this would be different for schollies and aid. Is there really cutoff that kills a kid with a single B? Sounds ridiculous. Even the elite privates had a variety of metrics.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I think I've said it here before, but if you want a truly great book about AAU basketball, Play Their Hearts Out by George Dohrmann is pretty much the standard. It's the most emotionally affecting sports book I've read.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

gumby wrote: For what it's worth, I've talked with college deans and admissions people, and they aren't slavishly devoted to GPA. They are fully aware of the vagaries of grading and that some teachers are tougher. The types of courses and the standardized score are bulwarks against grade inflation. The essays do matter, along with extracurriculars. My son got into Univ. of Washington, with a lower GPA than some of his classmates who were rejected. Hard to know why, but probably because they didn't challenge themselves as much. Also, not enough kids apply, because they've heard the stories about how hard it is to get in (and those stories are overblown).

I don't think this would be different for schollies and aid. Is there really cutoff that kills a kid with a single B? Sounds ridiculous. Even the elite privates had a variety of metrics.
That is what I have gathered as well. Even the Top 5% requirement for the Flinn Scholarship can be waived if you show you are at a prep school or a school with an inordinate amount of competition (she is at an IB program school and is currently in IB tract, though we are not likely going to go all the way with that ridiculousness). That's the cutoff that can kill her...the top 5% has a lot of kids who are IB and do not play sports and are not on student council. Her student council is one hour, and last year, her soccer team had a weight training/prep class that was another hour that could not be honors courses, so she fell out of the top 5% even with a straight A average with 4 honors courses. Ridiculous, huh? Some, like the Flinn, account for that. Others not so much.

She has service hours, athletics, and a decent story of overcoming a physical injury to return to play that fit the narrative well. She scored a 97th percentile on her PSAT, so she has that going for her as well.

Honestly, I want her to win the Flinn. Both for my pocketbook and my desire for my daughter to be close to home but not in the house. It would be very difficult to turn down the Flinn.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I think I've said it here before, but if you want a truly great book about AAU basketball, Play Their Hearts Out by George Dohrmann is pretty much the standard. It's the most emotionally affecting sports book I've read.
He has some brief airtime in this movie...with a poster sized cutout of his book looming behind him :)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I think I've said it here before, but if you want a truly great book about AAU basketball, Play Their Hearts Out by George Dohrmann is pretty much the standard. It's the most emotionally affecting sports book I've read.
He has some brief airtime in this movie...with a poster sized cutout of his book looming behind him :)
Maybe he's shilling, but I still stand behind that book as a modern classic. I legitimately would class it as one of the best books of the last 50 years.
gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat wrote:
gumby wrote: For what it's worth, I've talked with college deans and admissions people, and they aren't slavishly devoted to GPA. They are fully aware of the vagaries of grading and that some teachers are tougher. The types of courses and the standardized score are bulwarks against grade inflation. The essays do matter, along with extracurriculars. My son got into Univ. of Washington, with a lower GPA than some of his classmates who were rejected. Hard to know why, but probably because they didn't challenge themselves as much. Also, not enough kids apply, because they've heard the stories about how hard it is to get in (and those stories are overblown).

That is what I have gathered as well. Even the Top 5% requirement for the Flinn Scholarship can be waived if you show you are at a prep school or a school with an inordinate amount of competition (she is at an IB program school and is currently in IB tract, though we are not likely going to go all the way with that ridiculousness). That's the cutoff that can kill her...the top 5% has a lot of kids who are IB and do not play sports and are not on student council. Her student council is one hour, and last year, her soccer team had a weight training/prep class that was another hour that could not be honors courses, so she fell out of the top 5% even with a straight A average with 4 honors courses. Ridiculous, huh? Some, like the Flinn, account for that. Others not so much.

She has service hours, athletics, and a decent story of overcoming a physical injury to return to play that fit the narrative well. She scored a 97th percentile on her PSAT, so she has that going for her as well.

Honestly, I want her to win the Flinn. Both for my pocketbook and my desire for my daughter to be close to home but not in the house. It would be very difficult to turn down the Flinn.
Yeah, that sounds ridiculous. Best of luck. Totally understand the $$$ and wanting them nearby.

In Coeur d'Alene (30 miles from Spokane), the parents got the IB program killed. Too much "indoctrination" about global economics and bogus claims about the U.N. running it on the sly.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Have not experienced that in this IB program.

IB really only is a "take these honors classes" tract plus requirement to take a class about the theory of knowledge, a community service obligation, and an extended essay on a research topic of their choice.

So the classes are already there. I guess if the honors econ class already has those issues, the IB students will hear it. But that would be school-specific.

It just leaves very little room for electives.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:Have not experienced that in this IB program.

IB really only is a "take these honors classes" tract plus requirement to take a class about the theory of knowledge, a community service obligation, and an extended essay on a research topic of their choice.

So the classes are already there. I guess if the honors econ class already has those issues, the IB students will hear it. But that would be school-specific.

It just leaves very little room for electives.
I was once part of that program. I feel like the one world cabal hasn't really ponied up the dough I was hoping that they would for my student loans. It's almost like I got the mark of the beast tattooed on my butt cheek for nothing.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Cabal. Isn't the that capital of Afghanistan?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Kabul?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

gumby wrote:Cabal. Isn't the that capital of Afghanistan?
Yup, and the citizens are called "caballeros".
gumby

Post by gumby »

Love the cabalstone streets.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

If I can cobble up enough money we'll take another trip to Paris this Fall. But only, that is----again----if I'm ahble to cobble that dough.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

You probably already know how the caballeros get their t.v. reception (those who are not cabal cutters, that is).
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EVCat wrote:I would really be interested in your take on it given your story.

I'll let you know. That's good you are like that and have that insight. I don't have many "examples" in the now generation, but I am always looking for stories and opinions to have me better prepared. The one friend I have with older children is "alternative/unorthodox" for lack of better words. I was just telling my wife the other day about my realization that this generation is completely different from what we grew up in (we are both in that gen x/millennial grey area) and how I have already come to terms with the fact that my boys may not be athletes or interested in sports and I will support that and not push them. My son is a lefty and was throwing seeds as young as 2, but sports cant keep his attention for more than a minute or two and he is almost 5. His mind works different, he'd rather learn how something works than do what most young kids do. Even at the U of A games, he has a hard time paying attention to the game and is constantly scanning scoreboards and asking "what does that say" for big words, asking me where the light effects are coming from, etc. Then again, is it really a surprise when we gave him learning programs and mind-bending games when he asked for the Ipad, as opposed to letting him play regular games? So yeah, I offer the bat and ball and if he says "no, I want to do ____" I am fine with it as long as it is something outside of the house and not dealing with any electrical devices. Now the control thing in regards to safety, I have to ease up on that but at least I have acknowledged it. I'm a bubble wrap parent. Then again, also a product of the times - when we were kids we played outside til the street lights came on and were good as long as we were on our block. Nowadays, they got us scared with all these kidnappings and child predators and such.
gumby

Post by gumby »

EOCT wrote:If I can cobble up enough money we'll take another trip to Paris this Fall. But only, that is----again----if I'm ahble to cobble that dough.
Franc assessment. Merci.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

gumby wrote:
EOCT wrote:If I can cobble up enough money we'll take another trip to Paris this Fall. But only, that is----again----if I'm ahble to cobble that dough.
Franc assessment. Merci.
Oui.

The fog is coming in off the ocean, now. It's downright merki. Telle est la vie. So, au renoir!
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

nice recommendation @EVcat - thanks. the film really brings to life all of the crazy stories you hear about aau ball, incl the power dynamic between college programs (e.g., UA) and aau programs (e.g., compton magic). agree that it also reveals a side of PJC that most of us have been totally unaware of - man, his dad is intense.

pretty wild how much pac-12 and Arizona were in the documentary, too. even craig victor and those boners from pgu made an appearance. someone should make a drinking game out of it.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:
I'll let you know. That's good you are like that and have that insight. I don't have many "examples" in the now generation, but I am always looking for stories and opinions to have me better prepared. The one friend I have with older children is "alternative/unorthodox" for lack of better words. I was just telling my wife the other day about my realization that this generation is completely different from what we grew up in (we are both in that gen x/millennial grey area) and how I have already come to terms with the fact that my boys may not be athletes or interested in sports and I will support that and not push them. My son is a lefty and was throwing seeds as young as 2, but sports cant keep his attention for more than a minute or two and he is almost 5. His mind works different, he'd rather learn how something works than do what most young kids do. Even at the U of A games, he has a hard time paying attention to the game and is constantly scanning scoreboards and asking "what does that say" for big words, asking me where the light effects are coming from, etc. Then again, is it really a surprise when we gave him learning programs and mind-bending games when he asked for the Ipad, as opposed to letting him play regular games? So yeah, I offer the bat and ball and if he says "no, I want to do ____" I am fine with it as long as it is something outside of the house and not dealing with any electrical devices. Now the control thing in regards to safety, I have to ease up on that but at least I have acknowledged it. I'm a bubble wrap parent. Then again, also a product of the times - when we were kids we played outside til the street lights came on and were good as long as we were on our block. Nowadays, they got us scared with all these kidnappings and child predators and such.
We have to be bubble parents. Not because the world is more dangerous in relation to violent crime...it is actually far safer than the mid 80's when I came of age. But because I am in a major city. I grew up in a pretty rural area and yeah, my dad gave me the truck to learn how to drive, and I skated down huge hills with no helmet, and I went to Phoenix as I pleased at 16 because I had a car. But my daughter is 16, distracted at times, and there is a big difference negotiating the intersection at Arizona and Chandler and negotiating my roads that were maybe being used by 2 cars at a time. It is just different.

As for the finding the kids way, you have to. And they will come back to sports when they want to. If they want to...you just make it available. I was catching pop flies at 4...I was mentally signed with the Dodgers at 7. My eldest was like that...I say she came out of the womb ready to win. But my youngest? Very creative, makes videos at 10 (LPS and MLP...not with her face involved), and this year, decided she wanted to play AYSO soccer and was the 2nd best player on her team. She is also on her way to 5'8" or so where her sister is 5' flat (five feet of don'tfuckwithme, but 5'0" nonetheless).

Keep the doors open, don't push them through it, and they might just shock you and walk through on their own.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

dirtbags wrote:nice recommendation @EVcat - thanks. the film really brings to life all of the crazy stories you hear about aau ball, incl the power dynamic between college programs (e.g., UA) and aau programs (e.g., compton magic). agree that it also reveals a side of PJC that most of us have been totally unaware of - man, his dad is intense.

pretty wild how much pac-12 and Arizona were in the documentary, too. even craig victor and those boners from pgu made an appearance. someone should make a drinking game out of it.

No problem. I was late to finding it myself.

It is like an Arizona movie. And my hot and cold feelings about Gabe York were not helped any by it.
prh

Post by prh »

dirtbags wrote: pretty wild how much pac-12 and Arizona were in the documentary, too. even craig victor and those boners from pgu made an appearance. someone should make a drinking game out of it.
I came here to say that, it was crazy. Aside from the events in Tucson, you had Stanley, Jerryd, Miles, and I feel like a few others I don't remember. I didn't even notice CV or the pgu trash

And if I hear "bust yo ass" one more time in my entire life, I might hit somebody. He was even more obnoxious than I expected.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That documentary was eye opening. I have a new appreciation and respect for Parker. As for his father, I think the old cliche "Dont hate the player hate the game" is the best way to put it. Its greed from these shoe companies that trickles down. Only the strong survive and you got to be ruthless, perhaps even heartless to survive. The AAU coaches are pimps, its disgusting to watch. The end result, these poor kids are the child prostitutes.

Unfortunately, when your son is the smallest guy in the gym, you have to hustle. Whether its the kid, the parent, or both. Parker isnt built like that so his dad takes things to a higher level. His dad saw how things were w his oldest boy and saw how ruthless the business is, so he has to be a salesman and play the game. Would I ever do that? Hell no. But I''m also a white male in America who doesn't have to fight as hard as most black men in America to get to where I want to be. It's sad but the racial issues jumped out at me more than anything else.

You look at PJC, nice house, both parents present, a father who has enough financial stability to be able to go travel to all those circuits with his son. I'm curious to know how his dad's upbringing was, but if I had to guess, it was nothing like that. My guess is he grew up poor, with blue collar parents who busted their asses to barely scrap enough money together to put food on the table. He saw the rough life and his way out of it was basketball, which led to a scholarship and a college education who wouldnt have obtained without basketball. Im sure he busted his ass to get all that too and he sees the end result. A black man with two incredible boys, one of whom went on to college and another one within reach of the same, nice house, financial stability, not caught up in the legal system, and a loving wife. He likely feels the only way that is possible for a black male in America is walking through fire like he did. And now that the game has changed, that belief of walking through fire has to be done in the current situation, even if they are dumping 100 more tons of coals on the fire as is the case with the way things currently are. He cares for hos son and wants him to have all that, and the way he did things is the only way possible for that to happen. Unfortunately, poor Parker and the rest of these kids are caught in the middle. Nike and Adidas, these coaches, the agents, all of them know that. It's sad to see a black man do that to young black kids like the Magic coaches do, you sadly expect that from the shoe companies. The crazy thing is, Parkers mother pointed out that the dorky white dude coach was the one her son had the most connection with and was the one who saw him as a person and not a piece of meat. Reminded me of Jim Brown talking about how the three most important men in his life were all white and people of his own skin color never did much for him. And he grew up in Jim Crow.

Honestly, I dont even want my boys to be any good at basketball after watching that and maybe even baseball, as it has already gone in that direction, but to a lesser degree because it isnt as financially lucrative. Sad shit.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

rgdeuce wrote:That documentary was eye opening. I have a new appreciation and respect for Parker. As for his father, I think the old cliche "Dont hate the player hate the game" is the best way to put it. Its greed from these shoe companies that trickles down. Only the strong survive and you got to be ruthless, perhaps even heartless to survive. The AAU coaches are pimps, its disgusting to watch. The end result, these poor kids are the child prostitutes.

Unfortunately, when your son is the smallest guy in the gym, you have to hustle. Whether its the kid, the parent, or both. Parker isnt built like that so his dad takes things to a higher level. His dad saw how things were w his oldest boy and saw how ruthless the business is, so he has to be a salesman and play the game. Would I ever do that? Hell no. But I''m also a white male in America who doesn't have to fight as hard as most black men in America to get to where I want to be. It's sad but the racial issues jumped out at me more than anything else.

You look at PJC, nice house, both parents present, a father who has enough financial stability to be able to go travel to all those circuits with his son. I'm curious to know how his dad's upbringing was, but if I had to guess, it was nothing like that. My guess is he grew up poor, with blue collar parents who busted their asses to barely scrap enough money together to put food on the table. He saw the rough life and his way out of it was basketball, which led to a scholarship and a college education who wouldnt have obtained without basketball. Im sure he busted his ass to get all that too and he sees the end result. A black man with two incredible boys, one of whom went on to college and another one within reach of the same, nice house, financial stability, not caught up in the legal system, and a loving wife. He likely feels the only way that is possible for a black male in America is walking through fire like he did. And now that the game has changed, that belief of walking through fire has to be done in the current situation, even if they are dumping 100 more tons of coals on the fire as is the case with the way things currently are. He cares for hos son and wants him to have all that, and the way he did things is the only way possible for that to happen. Unfortunately, poor Parker and the rest of these kids are caught in the middle. Nike and Adidas, these coaches, the agents, all of them know that. It's sad to see a black man do that to young black kids like the Magic coaches do, you sadly expect that from the shoe companies. The crazy thing is, Parkers mother pointed out that the dorky white dude coach was the one her son had the most connection with and was the one who saw him as a person and not a piece of meat. Reminded me of Jim Brown talking about how the three most important men in his life were all white and people of his own skin color never did much for him. And he grew up in Jim Crow.

Honestly, I dont even want my boys to be any good at basketball after watching that and maybe even baseball, as it has already gone in that direction, but to a lesser degree because it isnt as financially lucrative. Sad shit.
makes me wonder how much of the rabid sports parenting is pushing kids to become affluent pros vs. living vicariously through their sports achievements. or maybe something else. i used to think it was mostly the former, but have seen parents in wrestling -- a sport with no path from amateurism to the pros (MMA is neither a desired destination nor feasible for most) or the olympics (no real freestyle or greco at the prep or college level) -- push their kids to train, compete, travel, and diet year 'round from a very very young age. it's not uncommon for elite wrestlers to travel cross-country on their own dime, compete in day-long tourneys & duals (with some of the biggest events falling on xmas and new years) on weekends, endure life-altering injuries & disfigurement, and have no late-childhood memories of like, thanksgiving because they've always been focused on making weight. and for what? a half-ride scholly to some d1 midwestern school?

not trying to disqualify the impact of aau on these kids' lives in sports like basketball, but there's just as much ugliness without them as well.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

prh wrote: I came here to say that, it was crazy. Aside from the events in Tucson, you had Stanley, Jerryd, Miles, and I feel like a few others I don't remember. I didn't even notice CV or the pgu trash

And if I hear "bust yo ass" one more time in my entire life, I might hit somebody. He was even more obnoxious than I expected.
going off of memory, i remember seeing PJC, gabe, stanley, miles, jerryd, CSM, coach book, iggy, anderson, ayton, maybe jerrett? (not sure) plus the all the guys during their shoots in tucson (TJ, nick, bash, etc.). i'm sure someone with better eyes will spot others.

about the york scene in vegas - hard to hold anything against 18 year old gabe, given all the pampering, accolades, and whatever ego-inflating came from his aau coaches. was more disturbed by the way the aau coach held potential recruits as ransom and tried to manage our team by proxy. others have mentioned it here before, but it was astonishing how blatant he was about it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Goes for the performing arts, too. Stage parents and sports parents. Hell, even Spelling Bee parents.