Who's staying? Who's going?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Who's staying? Who's going?

Post by gumby »

You go get evaluated. You listen. You work on that stuff.

I can't see them saying, "We want you NOW!" But I can see doing it.

Yeah, people do take it too personally.
Last edited by gumby on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right where I want to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:If I had to guess, it's playing time. And declaring for the NBA is faster than transferring.

Looks like we should look at a transfer and pickup Jeter

But come on, chance couldn't beat out effing Ristic
Fucking irks me to no end. Isaiah Hicks, a 5 star recruit out of HS, played 18 minutes per game as a Junior at UNC, which is the same amount of time Comanche, a 4 star developmental player, played as a Sophomore. Playing time? Fuck off. He will be handed nearly 30 minutes per game as a senior and certainly no less than the 18 he just got last year as a Junior.
Exactly. In what universe does Comanche think he'll get paid to play ball next year? Whoever is advising him is an idiot. And Chance is an idiot if he's advising himself or listening to anyone telling him to go pro. Every UA fan on the planet knows he's crazy for even considering turning pro. I hate this. Why does this stupid stuff happen to Arizona and not other programs?
To be clear every single player on our team, Comanche included, should go through the process to see where they're at. They should not leave Arizona or anywhere solely because they got 18 minutes per game as a sophomore when they were a developmental player from the start and are in line to get plenty next year and way more the following year. I mean that in regards to transferring or going pro, which is the prevailing rumor in regards to this.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The rules make it an obvious advantage to declare and go through the evaluation process. Not at all understanding the harsh feelings toward Chance.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Holy freaking crap,

Who in the hell are the advisors for these kids? I don't see a neuron of commonsense being used to guide these young guys.

Chance Comanche and Kobe Simmons thinking on any level they are making a NBA roster is beyond laughable. I can't believe they even think they will.

I don't know how any caring adult could look these guys in the eye and not tell them the truth about where they stand. I doubt either of these guys will ever crack an NBA roster. A few more years in Millers system and college ball would give them a chance, but leaving early.........forget about it.

Pure delusion!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:The rules make it an obvious advantage to declare and go through the evaluation process. Not at all understanding the harsh feelings toward Chance.
Yeah, people are waaaay overreacting. Chris Rodgers tested the waters. Getting an eval is nothing.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Having said that, I do understand the evaluation angle to some degree. But they clearly are ready to jump ship either way.

The modern roster turnover is beyond insane.
gumby

Post by gumby »

My son is going to a campus job fair in a couple of weeks. He knows he won't get hired (has two more years). Probably too soon for an internship, too.

But he's going for the feedback and to learn more about what it takes to work for various companies.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Having said that, I do understand the evaluation angle to some degree. But they clearly are ready to jump ship either way.

The modern roster turnover is beyond insane.
Kobi is jumping ship but most think he was planning on being a OAD from the beginning so no huge surprise. Chance is probably just entering to get evaluated and I think it is an excellent idea for any player with aspirations of playing in the NBA to get feedback from them on what to work on
gumby

Post by gumby »

Right. Unfair to lump Chance with Kobi, who is clearly gone.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:The rules make it an obvious advantage to declare and go through the evaluation process. Not at all understanding the harsh feelings toward Chance.
No problem with testing the waters, encourage it as much as I possibly can, this is apparently going further than that and wanting out of Arizona cause of playing time.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:My son is going to a campus job fair in a couple of weeks. He knows he won't get hired (has two more years). Probably too soon for an internship, too.

But he's going for the feedback and to learn more about what it takes to work for various companies.
Imagine for a second a business major getting flak for taking a two or three week intensive internship at the end of his sophomore year.

Chance Comanche goes to the University of Arizona to become a professional basketball player. Whenever that happens, it happens. He should do everything in his power to make his dream come true.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:My son is going to a campus job fair in a couple of weeks. He knows he won't get hired (has two more years). Probably too soon for an internship, too.

Ike Anigbogu is your son?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Evaluation: Chance, you need to get tougher around the basket.

There, saved him all that time. :)

No hate for any of them though. No one is leaving in bad graces.

You can never get too much interview practice.

Besides, job fairs have lots of nice swag.
Last edited by Merkin on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I have no issues with anyone getting evaluated and graded.

I have problems with the following.

1) not fulfilling your academic responsibilities
2) wanting to go to the nba since you can't beat out a guy in college

I do not want my donations to help people who won't take their responsibilties seriously no matter how good or poor they are on the field/court.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
No problem with testing the waters, encourage it as much as I possibly can, this is apparently going further than that and wanting out of Arizona cause of playing time.
Then I guess that means that Ristic must be coming back and Ayton is a beast.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

So this means we don't get to hear Walton call Chance Chief anymore?
gumby

Post by gumby »

If he's doing a Kobi, well, then ....

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If I get it, there's reason to believe Chance isn't just testing without an agent, but rather aggressively testing without an agent.

Some posters around here believe that Grant Jarret gave up his best chance to develop when he left early. I don't see why that's the case. The only obvious part about Jarret and Comanche leaving early is our conflict of interest as fans who want them to develop into big time contributors to the program.

The developing pattern seems to be that a number Miller's players choose to leave and develop in minor professional leagues rather than at Arizona, and that that's not always the case in other programs like UNC, Duke, Oregon, USC, etc. I hope Chance is just testing without an agent in the usual sense, but if not, I wish we weren't in this pattern.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Then I guess that means that Ristic must be coming back and Ayton is a beast.
He got 18 minutes per game with a lottery pick and Ristic ahead of him, he'd get no less next year especially with further development. Both of those two guys ahead of him next year would combine for 0 minutes ahead of him the following year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:If I get it, there's reason to believe Chance isn't just testing without an agent, but rather aggressively testing without an agent.

Some posters around here believe that Grant Jarret gave up his best chance to develop when he left early. I don't see why that's the case. The only obvious part about Jarret and Comanche leaving early is our conflict of interest as fans who want them to develop into big time contributors to the program.

The developing pattern seems to be that a number Miller's players choose to leave and develop in minor professional leagues rather than at Arizona, and that that's not always the case in other programs like UNC, Duke, Oregon, USC, etc. I hope Chance is just testing without an agent in the usual sense, but if not, I wish we weren't in this pattern.
I always thought Grant Jerrett's smartest decision would have been to transfer. He wasn't ready for the NBA after one year of college and he wouldn't have to compete with two guys with the exact same amount of eligibility for year upon year if he went to another college. I actually understand and sympathized with his reason for leaving Arizona, hell he got less playing time playing along side Ashley & Zeus than Comanche got last year along side Lauri and Ristic, I just didn't think going to the NBA and in all actuality the D-League was smart.
Comanche leaving now when his PT would only climb next year, albeit not a lot, but would sky rocket the following year is a completely short sighted stupid decision to me. From what I understand if he hears good enough stuff i.e. 2nd round he's staying in the draft (making the Jerrett decision) and if he doesn't hear that then he probably transfers, which would just delay the entire process even further, especially since he'd just sit out next year and then play during a year he would be starting at Arizona anyways.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

As we sit here today the truth is out of Comanche, Simmons and Alkins the most NBA ready of the three is RA. None of them are ready to play at that level right now but if you had to pick one, it would be RA.

Its clear to me that RA has a serious head on his shoulders and good handlers to guide him and he has already proven that he is going to work his ass off to make the NBA a reality in due time.

He knows his time will come, but he knows he needs to develop a better more diversified and balanced game.

Now that's a smart kid right there.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Gladiator Cat wrote:As we sit here today the truth is out of Comanche, Simmons and Alkins the most NBA ready of the three is RA. None of them are ready to play at that level right now but if you had to pick one, it would be RA.

Its clear to me that RA has a serious head on his shoulders and good handlers to guide him and he has already proven that he is going to work his ass off to make the NBA a reality in due time.

He knows his time will come, but he knows he needs to develop a better more diversified and balanced game.

Now that's a smart kid right there.
But why couldn't Alkins develop that more diversified and balanced game in the D League rather than college?
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Maybe he could, or maybe not. My crystal ball isn't that good.

I just think staying in school will serve him better and apparently he feels the same way as I do.

RA as a Soph from Arizona will be better prepared for the NBA than either one of the other two. If you just want a pay check at any cost, by all means get on that bus to the D-league.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well I thought his Mom didn't want him to transfer and hopefully she will have influence here with this decision.

He progressed very well last year and in reality I think he deserved more time than DR at the end. He probably see's no way that Miller plays him more than a Sr who started over him the previous year
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Wasn't Chance academically suspended early in the year?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:If I get it, there's reason to believe Chance isn't just testing without an agent, but rather aggressively testing without an agent.

I always thought Grant Jerrett's smartest decision would have been to transfer. He wasn't ready for the NBA after one year of college and he wouldn't have to compete with two guys with the exact same amount of eligibility for year upon year if he went to another college. I actually understand and sympathized with his reason for leaving Arizona, hell he got less playing time playing along side Ashley & Zeus than Comanche got last year along side Lauri and Ristic, I just didn't think going to the NBA and in all actuality the D-League was smart.
Comanche leaving now when his PT would only climb next year, albeit not a lot, but would sky rocket the following year is a completely short sighted stupid decision to me. From what I understand if he hears good enough stuff i.e. 2nd round he's staying in the draft (making the Jerrett decision) and if he doesn't hear that then he probably transfers, which would just delay the entire process even further, especially since he'd just sit out next year and then play during a year he would be starting at Arizona anyways.
So gone no matter what. How the hell does daggum Roy do it..
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Wasn't Chance academically suspended early in the year?
Nah, he ditched a class or two I believe and Miller held him out as a "get your shit into gear kid" type lesson. His grades were fine.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

He cries.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Well I thought his Mom didn't want him to transfer and hopefully she will have influence here with this decision.

He progressed very well last year and in reality I think he deserved more time than DR at the end. He probably see's no way that Miller plays him more than a Sr who started over him the previous year
Yeah he does probably see that and I still fail to see what the problem is with that. He's still in line for plenty of PT still and that Sr. won't be around the following year to get in his way and neither will the one and done. Chance came a long way this year no question, but he still has numerous things to improve on. Why the rush?
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Well that sucks about Chance. Hopefully he just gets feedback. I thought it might be Ristic leaving(to go play in Europe), never occurred to me Chance might leave.

We all knew Kobi was 1 & done so no surprise there.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Well I thought his Mom didn't want him to transfer and hopefully she will have influence here with this decision.

Yeah he does probably see that and I still fail to see what the problem is with that. He's still in line for plenty of PT still and that Sr. won't be around the following year to get in his way and neither will the one and done. Chance came a long way this year no question, but he still has numerous things to improve on. Why the rush?
Young and impatient. The kid is a pouter and doesn't learn from his mistakes. He whines to the refs every time he gets called for a block when he hedges too far out and sticks his leg out. You would think he could learn from all of the times that has happened. Maybe he's another Brandon Ashley to the PAC refs, I don't know.

He has all of the potential to shine here. I do t see why he thinks he can play at the next level if if he can't beat out Dusan Ristic for more than 20 minutes a game.

I like the kid as a player, and hope he makes the right decision for himself (and subsequently the program) by staying and improving at Arizona for the same reason noted above. If he transfers, he has to sit out a year (20 mpg Junior year) before playing the following year (30+ mpg senior year)

Whatever he decides I wish him luck. Bear Down Forever. Always a Wildcat
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Why is everyone ripping chance? Lmao

There is zero chance anyone tells him anything but go back to Arizona. And i dont agree w the "he couldnt even beat out Dusan" thing, because he should have been starting over Dusan for quite a bit of the conference season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Why is everyone ripping chance? Lmao

There is zero chance anyone tells him anything but go back to Arizona. And i dont agree w the "he couldnt even beat out Dusan" thing, because he should have been starting over Dusan for quite a bit of the conference season.
Some people apparently turn on players pretty fast. He isn't even gone and the wolves are out.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Why is everyone ripping chance? Lmao

Go back to college, not necessarily Arizona.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

CatMG

Post by CatMG »

NYCat wrote:If I had to guess, it's playing time. And declaring for the NBA is faster than transferring.

Looks like we should look at a transfer and pickup Jeter

But come on, chance couldn't beat out effing Ristic
It took me a lot of years to get finally get used to players leaving early right and left. Pretty sure I will never get used to players declaring for the NBA "to get more playing time."
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

This true?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:This true?
That's the word.
prh

Post by prh »

NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:Wasn't Chance academically suspended early in the year?
Nah, he ditched a class or two I believe and Miller held him out as a "get your shit into gear kid" type lesson. His grades were fine.
No classes to worry about going to at UNC
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

He's in LA according to his Snapchat.

Guess he's gone if he isn't attending classes, what a shame.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

NYCat wrote:
Is the NBA hell bent on wrecking college basketball?

On another note, talented players needing much more seasoning would prefer to be paid $30,000/year and ride the bus to play in front of a crowd of hundreds in Rio Grande Valley rather than travel first class and play in packed arenas? I. Don't. Get. It.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

zonagrad wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Is the NBA hell bent on wrecking college basketball?

On another note, talented players needing much more seasoning would prefer to be paid $30,000/year and ride the bus to play in front of a crowd of hundreds in Rio Grande Valley rather than travel first class and play in packed arenas? I. Don't. Get. It.
No school or classes.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

NYCat wrote:
I'm really starting to absolutely LOATHE the NBA.....even following Wildcats there is getting less fun for me.....Can't stand the OADs and the laborious / stressful "Who's Staying, Who's Going" crap each year.

Just hope that the NBA Players Union will pull it's head out of it's butt in my lifetime and implement something akin to NCAA Football and Baseball. I would gladly say adios to the highest level talent and see them off to the NBA straight from High School and cherish those who commit to Arizona instead.

Would make it a lot more fun to watch / follow as the players develop and the team would benefit greatly from more consistency in the rosters...as well as less burnout from the coaches. The current system sucks to high heaven for those of us who truly want to watch college basketball.....as it is now, Arizona Basketball feels more like a semi-pro development team for the NBA rather than a college team.....smh.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Main Event wrote:
Jefe wrote:
Main Event wrote:You guys take this way too personal
Our tax dollars paid for his useless scholarship and our after tax dollar were spent on game tickets. Its personal
Was it useless after the UCLA or Michigan St? You're bitter a kid left your favorite school earlier than you liked. Kobi's not the first kid to stop going to class and won't be the last, get over it.
This is complete BS, Main Event. The complaint at the moment is that Kobi Simmons allegedly stopped participating academically at the UA after the fall semester was over. The coaching staff should have been aware of this, and the instant he missed more than a class or two should have been the last instant he saw the floor. Has nothing to do with him leaving or not or us as fans being bitter (I'm not bitter about Kobi, btw. He didn't add much beyond a couple offensive blow-ups early in the season. He would have been valuable in a couple more years, but we can get athletic but unskilled wings for one year every single year).

Chance Commanche was suspended for skipping a couple classes early in the season. How could Kobi've gotten away with it for the entire Spring Semester?

EDIT: I'm withholding comment on Grant, er, Chance until it's more than speculation. ;)
Last edited by Puerco on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Well , Kobis minutes were cut pretty drastically. It may have had more to do w Trier than anything , but I doubt the fact that he didn't even consider being a part of the team for longer than the dance didn't help.

Which is why I hate everything even more. The current rules are destroying my favorite sport, college hoops, and it isn't changing anytime soon.

Then u get a kid like Trier, who despite having NBA dreams is willing to respect the "student athlete" process enough to do things the right way and then have the NCAA completely railroad him on a technical oversight that had nothing to do w gaining an unfair advantage.

Someone save my sport.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

PennZona20 wrote: Which is why I hate everything even more. The current rules are destroying my favorite sport, college hoops, and it isn't changing anytime soon.

Then u get a kid like Trier, who despite having NBA dreams is willing to respect the "student athlete" process enough to do things the right way and then have the NCAA completely railroad him on a technical oversight that had nothing to do w gaining an unfair advantage.

Someone save my sport.
x1000.......this really sucks....I can actually feel and measure my decrease in interest in following specific players that I suspect are OADs or seem disinterested in getting a college education and looking to skip out at first opportunity....let them go straight out of HS or a minimum 3 years if they accept a scholarship.

Making me consider what kind of fan I am and what makes me crazy for the University of Arizona and the Basketball Program in particular . The major reason is that I'm an alumnus, proud of my time as a college student, majorly positive impact on my social development, proud Tusconan, and the incredible success of Lute, Steve Kerr. Sean Elliot and gang.

Those kids that are being FORCED to do college without the sincere interest of getting a degree & education they sorely need and/or making foolish decisions to leave early (i.e. Grant Jerrett, currently playing for the Beijing Ducks - Beijing what a cancer-ridden shithole....pardon me) are really killing my love for the game that is played by COLLEGE ATHLETES!!!

So go Pro immediately or stay Amateur and get an education that will serve you well all your life.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Chance is a very poor man's Javale McGee at best. I highly doubt he sticks or even plays in the league if he bolts right now. Would be a dumb decision just like GJ, but its his life, not ours.

I was confident Chance would just be getting an evaluation but if he isn't attending class that's not a good sign. I'd rather have Chance than Ristic if I had to choose one. Ristic is way too slow and soft for my taste.

GJ lol, that dude is on a milk carton somewhere. Crazy how some of these kids piss away a possible meal ticket. I hate school too but I also hate work at 6am everyday just as much if not more. The grass isn't greener anywhere in this country.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

There is virtually no team in the NBA with a full roster of multi-year contract players that Chance Comanche will replace. The current talent level in today's NBA game is astonishing.

Even the guy at the end of the bench of the worst team in the league he will not beat-out.

This entire subject narrative is beyond stupid. CC may well develop into a formidable center or a superb role player in time, if he stays in school for his Jr. or Sr. years. But now at his stage of development he is a D-League lifer and then unemployed.

His skills equate to nothing more than a kid going from the Penthouse (UofA BB) to the Outhouse, not because of his dreams and wants, but because of reality.

Why this is even a discussion is a mind warp in itself.

Millions of people make stupid decisions every second of every day.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pokinmik wrote: GJ lol, that dude is on a milk carton somewhere. Crazy how some of these kids piss away a possible meal ticket. I hate school too but I also hate work at 6am everyday just as much if not more. The grass isn't greener anywhere in this country.
Let's be absolutely clear about this. College is the best possible and most magical life for all involved. Of course, work sucks, but that includes the NBA, which is a dumbed down experience for children, prostitutes, and shiny stuff that excites teenagers.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Ike Anigbogu is your son?
Was ...