Rawle Alkins

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Rawle Alkins

Post by rgdeuce »

Dosia wrote:Hopefully they dont rush him back, and he just rehabs until conf play. I'd be super conservative for a foot injury to avoid setbacks and reinjury.
You also have to weigh in Rawle's aspirations for the draft. He may not want to get into a similar situation that Trier was in when he missed quite a bit of time.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Impossible list of competition but great to be honored.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Although Alkins took shots without a boot during pregame warmups Thursday, Miller said he didn’t think Alkins would be able to play next week in the Battle 4 Atlantis.

“He’s working his way back,” Miller said. “He no longer has the boot. He was diagnosed as missing maybe 8 to 12 weeks. It’s too early to tell if it’ll be more 8 or 12. I don’t think it’ll be 12 but he’s working hard at rehab and we’re not going to rush him back but I do think he’s making a lot of progress.

Next week is maybe week nine, so hopefully sometime after that he has the opportunity to play.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... op-story-1" target="_blank

Week 10 -11 maybe? The last week of November?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'd rather have him in March than the Bahamas. Good to see him going on schedule, though. Having a few months to get ready without immediate pressure to produce a ton is good for him and us as a whole.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

He posted a video last weekend in RJ with the boot off. He jumped off his left foot, dunked it and landed on his left foot.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'd rather have him in March than the Bahamas. Good to see him going on schedule, though. Having a few months to get ready without immediate pressure to produce a ton is good for him and us as a whole.
We definitely get him back at a good time before the grind of conference play. Hopefully he can get some PT in against UNLV and then go for good minutes against A&M and Bama - we might need his perimeter defense in those. After those two we'll have some easier games to work him fully back into the starting line-up.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Yesterday

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Rawle looks good in that dunk. Guessing he's back on Nov. 29th for Long Beach State.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller said there’s “not a chance” Arizona would have lost all three games in the Bahamas if it had Alkins in the lineup. 8-)

“Eventually he’s going to return and when he does, I believe we’re returning one of the best players in our conference,” Miller said. “He is going to give us some qualities that are going to really help right away. Another offensive rebounder, another defensive rebounder, a big, strong physical player.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... urn-injury" target="_blank
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Any word on Rawle?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Nothing. Im hoping for Alabama
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Jefe wrote:Nothing. Im hoping for Alabama

Might me right. Texas A and M wishful thinking, but no rush eh? ( eyes on the prize down the road)
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

HiCat wrote:
Jefe wrote:Nothing. Im hoping for Alabama

Might me right. Texas A and M wishful thinking, but no rush eh? ( eyes on the prize down the road)
He will play when ready. No rush. Team could should win the next two with or without Rawle. March is when it matters. Don't sacrifice now for the real prize
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Texas A & M vs Alabama?

Two variables. First, clearly, protecting Rawle's health by making a sound clinical decision. Second variable, the win/lose calculus of A & M vs Alabama? Easy, A & M is the far superior team. Does that mean the best strategic decision is juicing our squad up with Rawle for the toughest team if Rawle is physically okay?

I suggest no. First, Rawle gets marginally more heal time. Second, we'd be weaker against the tougher team if history is any indication. Most, maybe all of our historical examples have shown the return of even a superior player from injury weakens the team for the first, sometimes second and third return games. Why? Something changes. You're messing with what the players are used to. Team coordination and chemistry changes. It just does.

And importantly in our case, we've got a very young team in the process of getting its sea legs and minds straight. So, think about the tradeoffs in this case and bring Rawle back against Bama, huh?

I bet a lot of you will want to throw stuff a me for this viewpoint.
Last edited by EOCT on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Decide on what's best for Rawle's development and recovery. No need to overcomplicate things.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

You don't fuck with a jones fracture.

If it was me, he wouldn't be he cleared until right before pac12 play. That's 12 weeks since DOI and a very appropriate time to return, considering what his bone has to do to be healed for play. You don't want a scooby situation.

But I am conservative with decisions like this.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Bring him back for the last non conference game as a warm up. Get shudders thinking about Ray Smith and maybe RA go's up and then bam. What a nightmare that would be
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

EOCT wrote:Team coordination and chemistry changes. It just does.
But thats exactly what we need :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:You don't fuck with a jones fracture.

If it was me, he wouldn't be he cleared until right before pac12 play. That's 12 weeks since DOI and a very appropriate time to return, considering what his bone has to do to be healed for play. You don't want a scooby situation.

I always worry about sitting someone too long. There's a mental aspect too and I worry you mess with someone's mind if you sit them when they're ready. Getting back on the court, there's a period it takes to trust your body again. The earlier you get going, the sooner the fear fades.

Once he's 100%, I'd go. Maybe just limit minutes to build work capacity and minimize wear and tear, but playing scared can trigger its own issues. I've caused cascade effects by trying to protect an original injury.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bring him back at the perfect time.
Right where I want to be.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I always worry about sitting someone too long. There's a mental aspect too and I worry you mess with someone's mind if you sit them when they're ready. Getting back on the court, there's a period it takes to trust your body again. The earlier you get going, the sooner the fear fades.

Once he's 100%, I'd go. Maybe just limit minutes to build work capacity and minimize wear and tear, but playing scared can trigger its own issues. I've caused cascade effects by trying to protect an original injury.
Without a doubt. I'm just quoting criteria for return in the athlete with a jones fracture.

8-12 weeks, so i guess he is in that window, there is just a high rick of rebreak/nonunion with this fractures, even with pinning and or plates.

The orthopods on the team know best. I just wouldn't want to rush him prematurely for tamu or bama.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Without a doubt. I'm just quoting criteria for return in the athlete with a jones fracture.

8-12 weeks, so i guess he is in that window, there is just a high rick of rebreak/nonunion with this fractures, even with pinning and or plates.

The orthopods on the team know best. I just wouldn't want to rush him prematurely for tamu or bama.
Yeah. I definitely agree if there's ANY question he sits. He needs to be 100% cleared and we should never rush him for aTm/Bama or anything else. Shoot, I don't think I'd support jeopardizing his future for a tourney game. I was ok playing him with the finger fracture ve Xavier bc that isn't weight bearing, but that's about it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

A new Instagram clothing line
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
Not sure what he is waiting for if he can dunk like this
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Solo chimes in:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

84Cat wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
Not sure what he is waiting for if he can dunk like this
To get into game shape so he doesn't end up hurting himself further.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

his toughness and overall physicality is missing on the wing for sure.

his return will be big for this team.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Rawle - Savage Life!

“Everything possible you can think of that would be like beast mode or kind of aggressive, you think savage life.”
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

97cats wrote:his toughness and overall physicality is missing on the wing for sure.

HiCat wrote:Rawle - Savage Life!

“Everything possible you can think of that would be like beast mode or kind of aggressive, you think savage life.”
Nastiness is required. Get back soon RA
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

baycat93 wrote:
97cats wrote:his toughness and overall physicality is missing on the wing for sure.

HiCat wrote:Rawle - Savage Life!

Nastiness is required. Get back soon RA
Yeah, yeah. Rawle is a role model in the effort and D departments. An inspiring leave-it-all-on-the-floor-every-time guy who chose his team over the League this year, then toughed through a a long rehab to get back to work. The guys won't let him down.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Rawle may not be a lock-down defender, but he's got long arms, gets boards, and can get 10-15 points. Also crazy athletic. Think he's a good teammate, too. His energy and ability will absolutely give this team a boost.

PJC
RA
AT
KP/IL
DA
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

best part of rawle's return will be dylan smith getting cut from the rotation
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

RondaeShimmy wrote:best part of rawle's return will be dylan smith getting cut from the rotation
Dylan smith made some great plays and some bone-headed plays last night. He may need to end up being an important cog in the rotation if our guards run into foul trouble.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Last 5 games Smith was 2/15 in 3 point shots. Smith also doesn't seem to notice open teammates. He did hit 35% 3 pt shots at UNCA, which is OK, but TJ McConnell was over 40% 3 PT shots while at Duquesne both years, and found it it's a lot tougher shooting at this level than at a mid-major.

I don't expect to see much of Smith when Alkins returns.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Merkin wrote:Last 5 games Smith was 2/15 in 3 point shots. Smith also doesn't seem to notice open teammates. He did hit 35% 3 pt shots at UNCA, which is OK, but TJ McConnell was over 40% 3 PT shots while at Duquesne both years, and found it it's a lot tougher shooting at this level than at a mid-major.

I don't expect to see much of Smith when Alkins returns.
Smith doesn't look like a Pac 12 caliber player. I was skeptical when he arrived as a transfer from UNC Asheville and brought with him a 35% 3 percentage. Not exactly lighting the world on fire. But I figured the coaching staff had seen him play and were counting on having him for some roster stability and depth for three seasons. Color me unimpressed so far. Smith may be serviceable for a few minutes a game and may have a few moments. But right now, he's not even as good as Jordin Mayes was. I just don't see much of a ceiling for him.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I'm pretty much a ditto on your thoughts on Dylan, but I want to stress the importance of having him for some roster stability and depth for three seasons after a season of seasoning with the flux we have now. He may not win an important game (see Texas), but he may keep us from losing one should injury or foul trouble occur.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Back to the thread! Alkins had 6 assists against Texas A & M last year.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

New Mexico or No Dakota State maybe? 8-)
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Rawle Alkins cleared for full contact, not expected to play vs. Texas A&M
Alkins’ debut is nearing, but it probably won’t happened Tuesday vs. Texas A&M

“He’s gotta get a number of those types of (full contact) practices under his belt where there’s no soreness, where he feels confident,” Miller told Pascoe. “(Going) one-on-zero is different. You get out there five-on-five and he’s still a little tentative but I think he’ll come back. Remember he has done nothing for nine weeks. Nothing.”

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... y-texas-am" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I'm guessing limited minutes in the Alabama game. Just a guess, I have no information. He will probably be our most best defender on the wing (which isn't saying much). This team greatly needs another good rebounder besides Ayton, and we need physicality and toughness. Just the fact that we have another "competent" player to throw out there is huge. For one, (once he is in shape) that is 25-30 minutes that arent going to some of the guys who are not playing on the level we are used to. It also lightens the load for the other four guys on the floor, especially a guy like PJC - Rawle is another guy who can create and he is a good passer.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

He will play when ready. I don't think he gets thrown out there against A & M nor against Bama for that matter.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Where are we on the timeline now? 10 weeks?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Longhorned wrote:Where are we on the timeline now? 10 weeks?
10 weeks tomorrow. Prognosis was 8-12.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

I’m really glad we aren’t rushing him back, even with the pressure to.... his good health and future are too important to screw up by rushing him back too soon....That video of him dunking a few weeks ago creeps me out.....I’m surprised that he’s able to do that so soon.

Anyways, can’t wait till he’s cleared and back in the lineup.....He’s sorely needed but his backups are getting good experience now too.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thanks. It feels like Miller is the little Dutch boy with his finger in the dike.

That didn't come out right.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Let's just get him 100% for the start of Pac play. If we enter Pac play with this current winning streak still going, and Rawle ready to kick some ass, we are going to have the Pac season most expected us to have. Probably not 18-0, but 15-3 feels very doable.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Keeping my fingers crossed but some of this is just weird. If you are dunking and putting that kind of pressure on your foot you should be good to go. If it a timing thing I would think they wouldn't have him elavating
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion