let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: let's talk '20

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Focus is on Mathurin at his position.
Fine by me. I really like the kid's BBIQ and demeanor. Looks like a great two way wing prospect. Has made big strides in his shooting stroke this season. Sister is a repeat Academic All ACC player for NC State.

Oregon, Baylor, Alabama, Virginia, Wazzu, and Nebraska have offers in. Coming from Quebec, here's hoping he enjoys the Tucson weather. Ben played for NBA Latin America (Mexico) in Mexico City previously so that could help.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:If we land Terry, Walton, Williams and Miller then it is just more proof that Sean really is unparalleled in recruiting.
I think a class of Terry, Walton, Williams, and Frank Anselem is a very likely class at the moment (pending on sanctions). If BWill doesn't look realistic for next year then add a grad transfer PG.
CCC, what is the word on Williams? Does he really have a chance to be healthy for next year?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:If we land Terry, Walton, Williams and Miller then it is just more proof that Sean really is unparalleled in recruiting.
I think a class of Terry, Walton, Williams, and Frank Anselem is a very likely class at the moment (pending on sanctions). If BWill doesn't look realistic for next year then add a grad transfer PG.
CCC, what is the word on Williams? Does he really have a chance to be healthy for next year?
I haven't heard anything negative about his rehab, it's still a very much "we'll see" situation though. By season's end we'll have a much better idea to how realistic a come back is for him.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I have a good feeling about BW. No reason. Just a sense that he's going to play more games for AZ.

BW, Baker, Ziaire (?), Terry, DD, Koloko, Brown, Lee...plus whoever else is part of our '20 class.

Roster far from settled, but I'm loving how it's taking shape.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:BW, Baker, Ziaire (?), Terry, DD, Koloko, Brown, Lee...plus whoever else is part of our '20 class.
BW, Baker, Ziaire (?), Terry, ---, Koloko, Brown, Lee...plus whoever else is part of our '20 class (Mathurin, Walton, Anselem we hope along with Zaire).
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I mean, that's a very good class that puts us in a position to succeed.
You may have to add Ben Mathurin to the class if the visit goes well this weekend.
Looks like we're going to need every single one of those kids.

Plus Brandon Williams actually being healthy and able to play.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

How are our chances with Zaiare?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

billk78 wrote:How are our chances with Zaiare?
At the moment very good.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Do we know if Mathurin is committing pretty soon? We could do with some positive recruiting momentum.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

James Akinjo entered the portal yesterday. We were in on him before he ended up at GTown. Would help at PG next season. I imagine we’ve already reached out?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

NickyBCats wrote:James Akinjo entered the portal yesterday. We were in on him before he ended up at GTown. Would help at PG next season. I imagine we’ve already reached out?
There might be too much baggage there, based on the rumors surrounding his dismissal. That is the last thing the program needs right now.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Don't think Akinjo is involved in the allegations, so he's probably baggage free (with the exception of a dispute with his coach Ewing). Expect him at one west coast program or another. I personally don't have any interest in him - his offensive efficiency has been consistently abysmal.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

Nothing else I've seen implicates him in any way. My interpretation is he is wanting to transfer prior to the the halfway point of the year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:Do we know if Mathurin is committing pretty soon? We could do with some positive recruiting momentum.
Honestly have no idea what his plan is.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This ‘20 class feels a little wild. We’ve missed on some guys we thought we were doing well with, but there’s so much still up in the air that we could still end up with a top 5-ish class. #fearthewitch
StickItInTheyFace

YoDeFoe wrote:I personally don't have any interest in him - his offensive efficiency has been consistently abysmal.
I guess I am in a different school of thought here. I am super concerned about the point guard position moving forward. Mostly because there is no guarantee that BWill will be back or stay healthy.

I don't know how much I like the idea of not having a capable point guard for part of next year and onward. I understand Baker can play backup one minutes, but I don't see him as a starter caliber PG. More like a secondary ball handler that sits on the perimeter.

There is no guarantee of anything in the grad transfer market and the extra half year off would allow Akinjo to get used to Miller's system and give us a boost in the middle of next season. We will almost definitely have 7-8 departures from this years team. I wouldn't mind throwing a scholarship to the Big East Freshman of the Year.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:I personally don't have any interest in him - his offensive efficiency has been consistently abysmal.
I guess I am in a different school of thought here. I am super concerned about the point guard position moving forward. Mostly because there is no guarantee that BWill will be back or stay healthy.

I don't know how much I like the idea of not having a capable point guard for part of next year and onward. I understand Baker can play backup one minutes, but I don't see him as a starter caliber PG. More like a secondary ball handler that sits on the perimeter.

There is no guarantee of anything in the grad transfer market and the extra half year off would allow Akinjo to get used to Miller's system and give us a boost in the middle of next season. We will almost definitely have 7-8 departures from this years team. I wouldn't mind throwing a scholarship to the Big East Freshman of the Year.
I get the sentiment. And maybe Akinjo looks better playing under Miller the former PG than under Ewing the former C.

Jemarl Baker has looked every bit the part of a starting PG to me. He's got 26 assists and 3 turnovers so far. His acuity is really impressive, and I appreciate that he can attack off the dribble and from range. Combo him with Dalen Terry and I think we're just fine next season. If BWill returns then we're flush with PG talent.

I'm just going to reiterate: Dalen Terry might be a McD's AA and he's a legit PG at 6'6". He's put up double doubles in points and assists in his last two games (it's high school, I know, but still). He had 15 assists and no turnovers in one of his games this season. We're severely underrating this kid. Tune in Thursday on ESPN2 to see him lead Hillcrest Prep against Prolific Prep... although realistically I'll probably just catch the highlights (it's HS ball!) :lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:

I get the sentiment. And maybe Akinjo looks better playing under Miller the former PG than under Ewing the former C.

Jemarl Baker has looked every bit the part of a starting PG to me. He's got 26 assists and 3 turnovers so far. His acuity is really impressive, and I appreciate that he can attack off the dribble and from range. Combo him with Dalen Terry and I think we're just fine next season. If BWill returns then we're flush with PG talent.

I'm just going to reiterate: Dalen Terry might be a McD's AA and he's a legit PG at 6'6". He's put up double doubles in points and assists in his last two games (it's high school, I know, but still). He had 15 assists and no turnovers in one of his games this season. We're severely underrating this kid. Tune in Thursday on ESPN2 to see him lead Hillcrest Prep against Prolific Prep... although realistically I'll probably just catch the highlights (it's HS ball!) :lol:
Fwiw we are absolutely pursuing Akinjo and obviously it's early, but I'd say Arizona & Gonzaga are the top two contenders.

IMO Dalen Terry is a more of a point wing than a point guard. Ultimately what Arizona would need next season (whether for half of it or all of it) is a ball handling lead guard who can push the tempo. Baker is excellent in his role, but his ballhandling isn't strong strong and nor is he the fastest. Akinjo has both Terry and Baker beat there.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:

Fwiw we are absolutely pursuing Akinjo and obviously it's early, but I'd say Arizona & Gonzaga are the top two contenders.
Akinjo's shot poorly at Gtown, but was solid in other areas. I'm not sold on him as a star, but he's at least a solid rotation guy who needs to shoot better.

His TSP was much higher as a freshman. He's been down this year, but part of that may be the disasterous start for Georgetown.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Akinjo's shot poorly at Gtown, but was solid in other areas. I'm not sold on him as a star, but he's at least a solid rotation guy who needs to shoot better.

His TSP was much higher as a freshman. He's been down this year, but part of that may be the disasterous start for Georgetown.
There were obviously some type of issues between Ewing and Akinjo. The guy did shoot 39% from 3 his freshman year, so he's capable of shooting much better.

On another note, why west coast guys bother going to east coast schools when they have quality west coast options is beyond me. It rarely to never works.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Want
But is there even any guarantee he's immediately eligible next year?
tricat

Post by tricat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:But is there even any guarantee he's immediately eligible next year?
If Quade Green could be immediately eligible at Washington this year after playing 9 games for Kentucky last year, not sure why Akinjo wouldn't be after 7 games for Georgetown. (Although honestly I'm pretty confused as to how Green got his waiver approved.)
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Want
But is there even any guarantee he's immediately eligible next year?

He's transferring at the semester so would be eligible by January at the latest.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wait, hold up...we're talking about Akinjo transferring and being eligible for the CURRENT season?!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Wait, hold up...we're talking about Akinjo transferring and being eligible for the CURRENT season?!
No. The question would be if he's immediately eligible next year or has to wait for the second semester. It should not be beyond that.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Wait, hold up...we're talking about Akinjo transferring and being eligible for the CURRENT season?!
No. The question would be if he's immediately eligible next year or has to wait for the second semester. It should not be beyond that.
Yup, he would however be on scholarship and be a part of the team (just not playing) during the next semester as he would take Doutrive's open scholarship.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Thanks, guys.

Choo and Spiff: I missed your opinions on Akinjo. Is he a high priority?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

There were obviously some type of issues between Ewing and Akinjo. The guy did shoot 39% from 3 his freshman year, so he's capable of shooting much better.

On another note, why west coast guys bother going to east coast schools when they have quality west coast options is beyond me. It rarely to never works.
Yeah, although the 35% from 2 as a freshman worries me a bit. He's been about 2-1 in assist to turnover ratio, so that's ok.

Hopefully with a little modification to shot selection, he'll be fine. This year, he upped his 2 point percentage to 39%, but his 3's cratered to 24%.

I mean, it's an area that needs to become solid for him. His defensive win shares were solid as a freshman. Gtown was sort of a mess and they were playing him with McClung, so just being in a better atmosphere would help.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Wouldn't it depend on Ewing/Georgetown supporting Akinjo's waiver claim to play immediately?

Calipari helped Jemarl Baker's waiver and I'm assuming he did with Quade Green also.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Thanks, guys.

Choo and Spiff: I missed your opinions on Akinjo. Is he a high priority?
He's as good an option for PG next year as we have, IMO.

I would 100% take him. Baker and Terry have potential and we hope for BWill, but Akinjo is a good solid option who can play with those guys.

Miller has been forward about playing teo PG's together, so Akinjo would fit that mold. We've seen Nico and Baker together this year.

If BWill doesn't return, Akinjo would be huge for us.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Wouldn't it depend on Ewing/Georgetown supporting Akinjo's waiver claim to play immediately?

Calipari helped Jemarl Baker's waiver and I'm assuming he did with Quade Green also.
Absolutely and I have zero idea if Gtown would support a waiver or not.
StickItInTheyFace

ChooChooCat wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:Wouldn't it depend on Ewing/Georgetown supporting Akinjo's waiver claim to play immediately?

I imagine it can't be too much different from our Akot situation and Miller didnt support his waiver. I see little reason as to why Georgetown would support his, doesn't feel like most coaches appreciate a player bailing in the middle of the season.

However, if he is allowed to play immediately. Does he now have 3 more full years of eligibility or still 2 and a half?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I imagine it can't be too much different from our Akot situation and Miller didnt support his waiver. I see little reason as to why Georgetown would support his, doesn't feel like most coaches appreciate a player bailing in the middle of the season.

However, if he is allowed to play immediately. Does he now have 3 more full years of eligibility or still 2 and a half?
Each case is unique, with that said there's a MASSIVE difference between a guy deciding to bail well before the winter semester starts than a guy bailing two games into the winter semester. You're probably right in regards to Gtown likely not supporting his transfer, but maybe there's something about his treatment there that he could prove that would win the NCAA's backing, I honestly don't know what went down there.

If he is allowed to play immediately I believe he'd have to make an appeal to get the entire year back so that he would get 3 years. The little amount of games he played would help his case there. It's all up in the air with the NCAA though as you know.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I take it back - I'd be thrilled to have Akinjo on the team, especially given that he could join for practices this season.

His two point shooting efficiency is a concern (both jumpers and at the rim), as is his relatively diminutive size at 6'0" 170lbs. Those were my primary concerns when we recruited him out of high school / the Oakland Soldiers. Additionally, we have players already that I think can do very well at the point (especially if BWill returns).

However, I'm being foolish if I don't respect the production, drive, and success of this kid. Peach Jam MVP, Big East Freshman of the Year, and just a dog on the both sides of the court. Damian Lillard-esque.

I still have those concerns I listed. But if you get the chance to add someone with Akinjo's heart and history of success, you take him. If we have too many ball handlers next season that's a problem we can surely stomach.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:I take it back - I'd be thrilled to have Akinjo on the team, especially given that he could join for practices this season.

His two point shooting efficiency is a concern (both jumpers and at the rim), as is his relatively diminutive size at 6'0" 170lbs. Those were my primary concerns when we recruited him out of high school / the Oakland Soldiers. Additionally, we have players already that I think can do very well at the point (especially if BWill returns).

However, I'm being foolish if I don't respect the production, drive, and success of this kid. Peach Jam MVP, Big East Freshman of the Year, and just a dog on the both sides of the court. Damian Lillard-esque.

I still have those concerns I listed. But if you get the chance to add someone with Akinjo's heart and history of success, you take him. If we have too many ball handlers next season that's a problem we can surely stomach.
I think it's always better to have more/too many ballhandlers than potentially too few.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Jefe wrote:
StickItInTheyFace

RondaeShimmy wrote:
One of the many things that are so great about Nico is his confidence and that he has an edge to him on the court. A guy of Akinjo's accolades and demeanor probably has a similar attitude. Sure seems like it from those clips and other highlights I have seen.

Any talented playmaker with confidence is nod from me, I was sick of seeing so many PG's like PJC and Barcello lack any confidence in their ability to play basketball, despite how talented they might be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Just FYI Akinjo isn't the only PG with confidence we're on for this class.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Just FYI Akinjo isn't the only PG with confidence we're on for this class.
hmmmm high school kid?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... e-oklahoma" target="_blank

Ziaire Williams:
"The feeling is that Williams will visit Oregon and potentially UCLA in the coming weeks and then go into deliberation mode. The three programs to beat are Arizona, Stanford and USC. The Cardinal had most of the talk this summer, while the Trojans were the talk of the fall. However, my prediction currently sits with Sean Miller’s program and a commitment will likely to be made in late winter."

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... ons-upsets" target="_blank

Jaylen Clark:
"Clark is not expected to make a decision until the spring, and it is a bit mind-boggling that more programs aren’t involved with him. He sits as the second-best available small forward prospect behind only Ziaire Williams, but lists just Arizona, Oklahoma and TCU as the programs in touch with him."

Kerwin Walton:
"Kerwin Walton has not finalized a school list but he is expected to make his college decision within the next 30 days. Getting a true pulse on where he stands and who is the favorite has not been the easiest as his recruitment has been all over the place.

He has taken official visits to Arizona, Cal, Miami, North Carolina and Vanderbilt, while others including Creighton, Iowa State and Minnesota are involved. Right now, Walton is in deliberation mode and monitoring how each program under consideration fairs during the early portion of the season."
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Just FYI Akinjo isn't the only PG with confidence we're on for this class.
hmmmm high school kid?
Lips are tight on this one, but I will say you won't find the guy on any recruiting website.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
hmmmm high school kid?
Lips are tight on this one, but I will say you won't find the guy on any recruiting website.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
hmmmm high school kid?
GOD DAMMIT! SHHHHHHHHH! SECRET!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
hmmmm high school kid?
I saw this movie in the 90's. Billy Crystal is the recruit's handler, right?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
hmmmm high school kid?
Wrong 90's movie. Kevin Bacon saw some African documentary and went scouting baby!
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Longhorned wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
hmmmm high school kid?
This seems like something Huell Howser would have been into
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

So is he picking the winner of Saturday's game?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
So is he picking the winner of Saturday's game?
Maybe? Lol. I have no idea what's going on with this one.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
hmmmm high school kid?
Wrong 90's movie. Kevin Bacon saw some African documentary and went scouting baby!
So we're not getting a very tall monastery dweller? I'm a little disappointed.

If we were recruiting out of 90's basketball movies, I'd prefer Above The Rim.