The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote:Read they promoted David Miller to assistant coach.
Short term move, while the hiring freeze is in place. He'll assume his old role after the next assistant is official.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

azgreg wrote:Read they promoted David Miller to assistant coach.

It’s interim during the freeze so he can legally recruit and what not. Not gonna make a difference it’s pretty clear who the new guy is and the hold up at this point.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Never question Choo!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I wish someone around here could have alerted us earlier....
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Goodman is probably lurking here stealing Choo's info LOL.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:I wish someone around here could have alerted us earlier....
No shit! Premium my ass.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:D

RJ would never give up that cushy gig he has now!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote::D

I am not attack you at all but I never understand why you say things like this.

Coaching is about have that competitive nature. Some guys have it after playing and some guys don't. Those that do will coach no matter the hours or pay. Steve Kerr had it good with TNT/CBS and with front office jobs in the NBA but he had the drive and competitive spirit so he went into coaching.

As far as RJ goes, I am not sure how much he wants to coach but no matter how good of a job he has in media and how good he is in media (which he is very good for this stage in his media career) he will coach if he gets that desire and he has the competitive spirit.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:

Coaching is about have that competitive nature. Some guys have it after playing and some guys don't. Those that do will coach no matter the hours or pay. Steve Kerr had it good with TNT/CBS and with front office jobs in the NBA but he had the drive and competitive spirit so he went into coaching.

As far as RJ goes, I am not sure how much he wants to coach but no matter how good of a job he has in media and how good he is in media (which he is very good for this stage in his media career) he will coach if he gets that desire and he has the competitive spirit.
Yeah, RJ was quite obviously kidding but don’t let that stop your unhinged rant.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:

Sometimes I wonder about the cluelessness of fans. Then I remember that Arizona is a school with 35thousand undergrad and there’s bound to be people who just don’t get a joke.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

zonagrad wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Sometimes I wonder about the cluelessness of fans. Then I remember that Arizona is a school with 35thousand undergrad and there’s bound to be people who just don’t get a joke.

No shit RJ was joking. Notice my first line how I indicate that Merkin says this more than just this time. He has said this about many people not coaching, not just RJ.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Machina's mind amazes me. Truly.

You are so full of shit. If you knew Merkin was joking, why did you even bring it up?

Either you didn't know he was joking or you just enjoy being the board contrarian.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:Machina's mind amazes me. Truly.

You are so full of shit. If you knew Merkin was joking, why did you even bring it up?

Either you didn't know he was joking or you just enjoy being the board contrarian.
I was explaining to Merkin what drives people into coaching, even ones with good jobs already so that he would stop posting it. Today about RJ was not the first time he has said things like that.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Machina's mind amazes me. Truly.

I was explaining to Merkin what drives people into coaching, even ones with good jobs already so that he would stop posting it. Today about RJ was not the first time he has said things like that.
I’m sure he appreciates your insight as a response to his off the cuff response to RJ’s joke. Thank you for keeping us serious in this serious time during our serious search for an assistant coach.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What's that about Chase Jeter? It's behind a paywall for me.

Thought the UA was going to quit playing the Sisters of Mary for home games. What a shitty schedule. That looks like a Cal Poly schedule.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin wrote:What's that about Chase Jeter? It's behind a paywall for me.

Thought the UA was going to quit playing the Sisters of Mary for home games. What a shitty schedule. That looks like a Cal Poly schedule.
Chase Jeter says he'll play for Team 23 of Phoenix in The Tournament. That's another event that is very much virus-permitting, although a quest for television ratings could result in a strong push to make it happen.

Team 23 is recruiting for at least seven players who have "Michael Jordan commonalities" and Jeter's tie is having played in the McDonald's All-American game.

So far, Team 23 has added Jeter, Jordan Adams (formerly of UCLA), Myck Kabongo (Texas), Larry Owens (Oral Roberts) and Robert Crawford (Central Arkansas).
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

That schedule isn't going to put butts in the seats or help us in March. And if we get upset by any of them? Yipes...
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Time for roster speculation

This is assuming Akinjo plays right away, and that BWill is on a pitch count.

Starters
J. Akinjo- 6’1”- Guard-Sophomore
K. Kriisa- 6’2”- Guard- Freshman
D. Terry- 6’6”- Guard- Freshman
D. Batcho- 6’10”- Big- Freshman
J. Brown- 6’11”- Big- RS Sophomore

Bench
C. Koloko- 7’0”- Big- Sophomore
B. Williams- 6’2”- Guard- RS Sophomore
J. Baker- 6’4”- Guard- RS Junior
B. Mathurin- 6’6”- Wing- Freshman
T. Brown- 6’1”- Guard- Senior GT
I. Lee- 6’8”- Big- Senior
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:Thought the UA was going to quit playing the Sisters of Mary for home games. What a shitty schedule. That looks like a Cal Poly schedule.
So true, Merk.

Chi posted somewhere recently that one season (under Lute) our first five games were against top 25 teams. Five games! I don't understand why Sean won't doesn't get more aggressive with scheduling. Who cares if we have to travel? You have to travel for tournaments anyway.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Merkin wrote:Thought the UA was going to quit playing the Sisters of Mary for home games. What a shitty schedule. That looks like a Cal Poly schedule.
So true, Merk.

Chi posted somewhere recently that one season (under Lute) our first five games were against top 25 teams. Five games! I don't understand why Sean won't doesn't get more aggressive with scheduling. Who cares if we have to travel? You have to travel for tournaments anyway.
We play at Gonzaga & Illinois.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Perfect schedule for a young team in a transition year.

Although the weakness in schedule and no preseason tournament (only a 2 game classic) means it could be hard to get into the tournament if they get 20ish wins or so and no impressive OOC wins.

The 20 game league schedule should help a bit but still...
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
So true, Merk.

Right. These are the second halves of our home-and-home series with each team. These are obviously good match-ups, but don't you think we can do much better, zg? I can't be the only one who's underwhelmed by this non-conference schedule.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Can't beat him, join him? This tweet aged well. Terry just feels like another Book to me. Hopefully he's smarter

@jasonterry31
@APlayersProgram BearDown it’s time to clean house and bring home our own bloodlines to carry on Lutes Legacy. We have too much pride, too much tradition to allow outsiders to tear down what we built.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote:Can't beat him, join him? This tweet aged well. Terry just feels like another Book to me. Hopefully he's smarter

@jasonterry31
@APlayersProgram BearDown it’s time to clean house and bring home our own bloodlines to carry on Lutes Legacy. We have too much pride, too much tradition to allow outsiders to tear down what we built.

I have heard interviews with Jeff Dean, the PA for Arizona Stadium and McKale Center and a radio host in Tucson. Also used to do the CC for some away games on the radio.

He said before Book was arrested that Book's value add to the team is being the good cop to Miller's bad cop. He builds the guy's confidence up after Miller yells or coaches the players up. He is the soft skills person.

The 2018 and 2020 team missed someone like that. I think that is what Terry will bring. So a non criminal Book would be an outstanding thing for the program.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
So true, Merk.

Right. These are the second halves of our home-and-home series with each team. These are obviously good match-ups, but don't you think we can do much better, zg? I can't be the only one who's underwhelmed by this non-conference schedule.
Depends on the tourney games early. The home OOC is dreadful. Call up every top 10 program and ask for a home and home. Make it public. Announce that Arizona is seeks to play a home and home with any takers.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:Time for roster speculation

This is assuming Akinjo plays right away, and that BWill is on a pitch count.

Starters
J. Akinjo- 6’1”- Guard-Sophomore
K. Kriisa- 6’2”- Guard- Freshman
D. Terry- 6’6”- Guard- Freshman
D. Batcho- 6’10”- Big- Freshman
J. Brown- 6’11”- Big- RS Sophomore
:lol: :lol: that lineup

I mean if that’s it, we should fire now and not wait until the end of the season.

8th best program in the nation rolling those starters there. Wow :lol:
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

No kidding, SCC.

Just at the 4 alone, if Miller is starting a Euro over the senior Ira Lee or sophomore Koloko by choice, there's something wrong that isn't worth watching.

Then those wing positions...so raw on both ends of the court, particularly when you have a seasoned Kentucky transfer in Jemarl who has already started a couple games for you and has had good games against good competition.

Miller has a top six, with Akinjo, of those guys plus Brown and BWill if he's healthy. Batcho and Kriisa are by nobody's definition first-day starters.

Just saying, if you're serious about building a program and not just being a pit stop for OADs, you don't start three freshmen in your season opener. Especially if you're not starting from a bare cupboard.

Lute only did that once, in '85-86, for an exhibition with Athletes in Action. And that was just because he only had Joe Turner and John Edgar to work with at the 5. Cook and Elliott were four-year guys anyway.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

You can’t complain abot talent level of the starters and then preach that we need 4 year guys....THESE ARE THE FOUR YEAR GUYS!!!!! Pick a side
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:You can’t complain abot talent level of the starters and then preach that we need 4 year guys....THESE ARE THE FOUR YEAR GUYS!!!!! Pick a side
I agree. I see a bunch of guys that may be here for a little while. Mix that in with an elite level guy or 2 every year... I like that route a lot better.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:You can’t complain abot talent level of the starters and then preach that we need 4 year guys....THESE ARE THE FOUR YEAR GUYS!!!!! Pick a side
Could not have said it better myself.

I mean, I get it. If you don’t like Miller you’re going to find some reason to blast him, but you have to at least be consistent with what you want to see.

If you’re asking for our roster to be full of upperclassmen who were top-15 talents coming out of high school and continued to be great in college but just didn’t want to go to the NBA, let me know and I’ll PM you the Tooth Fairy’s address.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Returning Players:

Brandon Williams - jr guard ****
Jemarl Baker - jr guard ****
Ira lee - sr forward ****
Jordan Brown - jr forward
Christian Koloko - so center ***
Jordan Mains - so forward
Kory Jones - sr guard
Matt Weyand - sr forward
James Akinjo - jr guard ****
Terrell Brown - jr guard

Recruits:

Dalen Terry - fr forward ****
Bennedict Mathurian - fr forward ****
Kerr Kriisa - fr guard
Daniel Batcho - fr center

Is this accurate?
Last edited by azgreg on Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
Could not have said it better myself.

I mean, I get it. If you don’t like Miller you’re going to find some reason to blast him, but you have to at least be consistent with what you want to see.

If you’re asking for our roster to be full of upperclassmen who were top-15 talents coming out of high school and continued to be great in college but just didn’t want to go to the NBA, let me know and I’ll PM you the Tooth Fairy’s address.
PM sent.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

azgreg wrote:Returning Players:

Brandon Williams - jr guard ****
Dylan Smith - jr guard
Jemarl Baker - jr guard ****
Ira lee - sr forward ****
Jordan Brown - jr forward
Christian Koloko - so center ***
Jordan Mains - so forward
Kory Jones - sr guard
Matt Weyand - sr forward
James Akinjo - jr guard ****
Terrell Brown - jr guard

Recruits:

Dalen Terry - fr forward ****
Bennedict Mathurian - fr forward ****
Kerr Kriisa - fr guard
Daniel Batcho - fr center

Is this accurate?
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!
Dylan Smith?????? Un-unh. Like, no way!!! Please, no!!!!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Pretty sure Dylan Smith graduated
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

List corrected. Sorry.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

This is a transition year.

They'll build off this coming year to compete in a year or two from now.

All we should hope for is a NCAA berth and development. All these multi year players will be back for a couple years.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

azgreg wrote:List corrected. Sorry.
You trying to scare the shit out of people or what?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

zonagrad wrote:
The world needs more Dylan Smith along with more cow bell.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

azgreg wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
The world needs more Dylan Smith along with more cow bell.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Call me crazy, but I like the look of this roster. No OAD guys, mainly guys who will be at AZ for a while. I'm fine with having a down year as long as we're building towards something bigger. I'd love to see Miller get a season where three or four starters are upperclassmen. Not sure that's ever happened for him at AZ.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Call me crazy, but I like the look of this roster. No OAD guys, mainly guys who will be at AZ for a while. I'm fine with having a down year as long as we're building towards something bigger. I'd love to see Miller get a season where three or four starters are upperclassmen. Not sure that's ever happened for him at AZ.
Correct me if i'm wrong but it's starting to look like a Gonzaga roster.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Correct me if i'm wrong but it's starting to look like a Gonzaga roster.
I hope so! For those keeping score at home, Few took 15 seasons -- 15! -- to get past the S16. And now he's got that program right where we want to be.

I was at our game vs. Gonzaga in '16 at Staples (the season they lost in the NC game). Gonzaga fans are now cocky AF. It's how many of us must've been in Lute's best years. I had Zags fans on all sides of me. Karnowski was unstoppable. Ristic had zero chance. And those guards just ate us alive. Impressively, we didn't get blown out. Rawle, Kadeem and Lauri kept us in it. Anyway, I just remember the smugness and hubris of those Gonzaga fans. They had zero doubt they would win that game, before it even started. And they were fucking right.

I wanna get back to that level.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

So we are now officially trying to pull four year guys?

Is that the “pivot” here?

So now some want to give credit for bringing the fbi, getting no results, destroying the roster and then completely pivoting (by choice or...???) to a new strategy that will nicely take three years to properly implement?

Excuses for days. Like mana from heaven.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote:
So we are now officially trying to pull four year guys?

Is that the “pivot” here?

So now some want to give credit for bringing the fbi, getting no results, destroying the roster and then completely pivoting (by choice or...???) to a new strategy that will nicely take three years to properly implement?

Excuses for days. Like mana from heaven.
Whether this strategy was forced on him or not, without an extension it’s a pretty bold choice to not go all in on winning big next year. Maybe it nets him an extension but maybe it doesn’t if we are an NIT team.

People should try to remember that Sean Miller has done everything in the name of winning. You’d be hard pressed to say different.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think Leonardo Da Vinci said that Genius is the ability to respond to change. Might as well see if Miller is a genius. He's still very young. Too old to date my parrot, but very young for what lies ahead baketball-wise.

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I'm glad we're getting more 4 year players again, for the record. But Miller's other problem is that players don't seem to be improving as the season goes along anymore. If the team doesn't show any growth once again, I'm not sure I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and extend his contract.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller