Tarczewski

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

wyo-cat

Re: Tarczewski

Post by wyo-cat »

azcat49 wrote:Still in a boot
Yep, I've seen him walking around campus in his boot recently. He's not walking with a limp or anything - don't know if that's a big deal or not.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

5 days ago

gumby

Post by gumby »

That's so five days ago. I want updates! Increase the stalking!
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Never realized he liked fishing so much.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The ladies love Zeus
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Tarc is a freaking beast. He's got NBA written all over him. He may not be a star, but he's going to be a starting center eventually.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

rgdeuce wrote:The ladies love Zeus
I love her smile.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Tarc is a freaking beast. He's got NBA written all over him. He may not be a star, but he's going to be a starting center eventually.
I'm not sure that he will be a starter, but I expect him to be a key rotation player.
But I expected Khalid Reeves to have a better NBA career than Mighty Mouse, so don't take my word to the bank and try to cash it.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

10yrs
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

97cats wrote:10yrs
In the NBA? Sorry zero chance. Man would be awesome though.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

threenumberones wrote:

we won't be around these parts to ever settle this but I would be able willing to make a confident wager otherwise.

go back and look at history, you would be shocked at the amount of 7 footers who could make a 12ft jumper that played way longer in the NBA than most people ever thought possible.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

10 years in the League might be a bit of a stretch - it would put him in the top 15 of all former Arizona players wrt to NBA careers.

First he needs to get drafted.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

KaibabKat wrote:10 years in the League might be a bit of a stretch - it would put him in the top 15 of all former Arizona players wrt to NBA careers.

First he needs to get drafted.
Actually he doesn't.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

How many undrafted Wildcats spent ten years in the NBA?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

KaibabKat wrote:How many undrafted Wildcats spent ten years in the NBA?

TJ has nine years to go.

Both Buechler and Rooks were drafted and very long NBA careers.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

97cats wrote:
threenumberones wrote:

we won't be around these parts to ever settle this but I would be able willing to make a confident wager otherwise.

go back and look at history, you would be shocked at the amount of 7 footers who could make a 12ft jumper that played way longer in the NBA than most people ever thought possible.
Yea I get you. Two things working against him though: the game is getting smaller/quicker and utility big men are fading out. The days of Joe Kleine and Bill Wennington are over. And the other thing is no part of his game is NBA-ready today. Nothing. The thing he's best at (team/help D in the packline) doesn't even really translate. When he is isolated on the block he gets eaten. Sure he can hedge screens like anyone else in the NBA, but that's not going to get him a roster spot. Everything else he does is below average on an NBA scale. Shot blocking, rebounding (off and def), weak-side help, finishing, post D, everything. To your point he's tall and can hit an open J. Really think that's enough? I think he's an amazing person, but his growth in the first 3.5yrs here shows a trajectory that doesn't make it into those heights imo.

What Tarc needs to do is watch about 100hrs of Ryan Anderson tape. You stick RA in Tarc's body and that's a lottery pick.

Up for that bet though! And I'd LOVE to be wrong..
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

His size and body is NBA ready.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

rgdeuce wrote:His size and body is NBA ready.
Yea, but those tiny little arms and awful hands though.......
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Zero

Post by Zero »

Gonna be awesome when he is back.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Zero wrote:Gonna be awesome when he is back.
agree
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If a 7 footer is reasonably athletic and willing to be an enforcer/battering ram, he can play in the NBA. Look at Steven Adams, Kendrick Perkins (even shorter), etc.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wonder if we're gonna see Zeus and Ristic on the floor together very much.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Wonder if we're gonna see Zeus and Ristic on the floor together very much.
Probably when we play Gonzaga and we need to counter a Karnowski/Sabonis combo.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Wonder if we're gonna see Zeus and Ristic on the floor together very much.
Cal has multiple bigs too.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:If a 7 footer is reasonably athletic and willing to be an enforcer/battering ram, he can play in the NBA. Look at Steven Adams, Kendrick Perkins (even shorter), etc.
look at Bill Wennington, James Edwards, Jon Koncak, Mark West, Greg Ostertag, Eric Montross, Luc Longley, Chuck Nevitt, Jim McIlvaine, Chris Dudley, etc., etc., etc
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Don't think anyone's doubting that Zeus will play for a while in the NBA, perhaps a long while.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:If a 7 footer is reasonably athletic and willing to be an enforcer/battering ram, he can play in the NBA. Look at Steven Adams, Kendrick Perkins (even shorter), etc.
look at Bill Wennington, James Edwards, Jon Koncak, Mark West, Greg Ostertag, Eric Montross, Luc Longley, Chuck Nevitt, Jim McIlvaine, Chris Dudley, etc., etc., etc
Oh, so it's a challenge to name tall NBA benchwarmers, huh? Greg Kite, Kurt Rambis, Dwayne Schintzius, Stanley Roberts, Frank Brickowski, Yinka Dare, Chris Mihm and every Kansas big man who isn't pre-injury Raef LaFrentz say hi.

Edited so I don't forget Robert Swift, DeSagana Diop, Cherokee Parks and all the Plumlees.

Double edit: Alaa Abdelnaby.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
97cats wrote:
Oh, so it's a challenge to name tall NBA benchwarmers, huh? Greg Kite, Kurt Rambis, Dwayne Schintzius, Stanley Roberts, Frank Brickowski, Yinka Dare, Chris Mihm and every Kansas big man who isn't pre-injury Raef LaFrentz say hi.

Edited so I don't forget Robert Swift, DeSagana Diop, Cherokee Parks and all the Plumlees.
Stanford edition!

Adam Keefe, Tim Young, Mark Madsen and both Collinses.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

not all were seven footers there but you get the idea, the list of perpetually bad BIG guys who played in the NBA for a looooooong time goes on and on and on and on and ........
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:not all were seven footers there but you get the idea, the list of perpetually bad BIG guys who played in the NBA for a looooooong time goes on and on and on and on and ........
You can't teach height. The NBA has lived that motto for years.

No NBA team will admit it, but they would all love a 10-12th man who does nothing but be big, strong, plays like an 18 wheeler with no brakes, picks up 5 hard fouls for every 8 minutes he's on the floor, makes Dwight Howard cry and makes Odell Beckham Jr. try to charge the court if he's at the game. Every team wants a hammer who just runs around like a bull in a china shop and just doesn't care. Zeus can be that guy.

Also, I did not include because they are far from bruisers, but Shawn Bradley and Manute Bol are the patron saints of the "can't teach height" club.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yep yep

People are acting like hes a hack. Hes smart, well coached, has shown nice touch, understands defense, is athletic and runs the floor well, can knock down free throws
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

rgdeuce wrote:Yep yep

People are acting like hes a hack. Hes smart, well coached, has shown nice touch, understands defense, is athletic and runs the floor well, can knock down free throws
If he had better hands he'd have already been drafted in the 1st round and Duscon would be starting the entire season.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chuck Nevitt, Petur Gudmundsson, Joe Kleine, Randy Breuer, Paul Mokeski, Granville Waiters, Georgi Glouchkov, Henry Finkel...
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I wont defend the hands, but I Hadn't seen any issues w the hands in any games he played in this year. We will see when he gets back. Plenty of bigs w lousy hands in the NBA though. He can handle passes on the perimeter fine. I like his shooting touch and it will probably continue to impove. Be a big body down low off the bench, be smart on D. As of right now, he will be more than adequate for a little pick and roll and over time I see him continuing to improve his shot to become an adequate pick and pop guy. He isnt going to be a guy teams are going to feed in the low post and ask to score and he doesnt need to be. Theres a niche for guys like him as mentioned above, and he has enough athleticism and upside in his shot to keep up with the changing NBA. I honestly believe the NBA is going to be changing rules at some point in the near future due to all the three point happy play we are seeing now. I bet they lengthen the 3 pointer and widen the court to accommodate that
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

All Australia edition:

Luc Longley 7-2 11 years in the NBA; 5 as the starter on the Bulls (3 rings), the other six at Minnesota, Phoenix (holds the record for scorpion stings), New York. I don't think he started anywhere but Chicago though - does that count - 6 years on the bench?

Chris Anstey 7-0 3 years in the NBA.

Luke Schenscher 7-1 2 years in the NBA

And:

David Anderson 6-11 (C-PF) 3 years NBA
Nathan Jawai 6-10 (C-PF) 2 years NBA
Mark Bradtke 6-10 (C!) 1 year NBA
Cameron Bairstow 6-9 (C-PF) 2 years NBA

I leave out Andrew Bogut 10 years NBA as a starter if he isn't injured which he always is.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

If nothing else, Tarc's return adds significant depth to our frontline and affords Arizona 5 fouls in the paint, a wide body to deter easy drives and thus greatly improves our defense. I suspect Commanche's minutes are going to be trimmed even more which is disappointing.

I hope guys like York, Trier, & Allen are aware of the significant advantage Arizona will have inside over opponents (ASU is a perfect example). Even if we're not scoring a bunch in the paint, it's still prudent to pound the ball inside to our bigs because of our significant depth. We witnessed during the UNLV game that at times we got away from our strength and we started getting cute on the perimeter....and subsequently we looked terrible. If we play to our strengths, opponents are gonna get in foul trouble against us and York & Trier should be freed up for more open looks as defenders collapse inside to help.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Nm
Last edited by Puerco on Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Carolina, if you think Tarc is only providing depth and 5 fouls you're way, way off base.
There aren’t too many more physical big centers in this country that do more for their team around the basket on defense and offense than him,” Miller said. “We shot around 32 free throws. How many times would he have gotten fouled here tonight?

“We struggled against their balls screens. You wouldn’t even notice they were setting a ball screen if he’s out there. He is, in my opinion, the best frontcourt defender in the country.

“If you ask Mark Few (USA Basketball’s Pan Am coach last summer) `Why did he make the Pan American team? How did he do that at that level?’ He’s not a rim protector from a shot-block perspective, but he’s so physical, quick and smart that he just makes your defense so much better. And we haven’t had him so that's one thing I’m really looking forward not only for us but for him. You can imagine how frustrating it’s been for him to not do anything the entire fall.”
http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... 9ae1f.html
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

RichardCranium wrote:All Australia edition:

Luc Longley 7-2 11 years in the NBA; 5 as the starter on the Bulls (3 rings), the other six at Minnesota, Phoenix (holds the record for scorpion stings), New York. I don't think he started anywhere but Chicago though - does that count - 6 years on the bench?

Chris Anstey 7-0 3 years in the NBA.

Luke Schenscher 7-1 2 years in the NBA

And:

David Anderson 6-11 (C-PF) 3 years NBA
Nathan Jawai 6-10 (C-PF) 2 years NBA
Mark Bradtke 6-10 (C!) 1 year NBA
Cameron Bairstow 6-9 (C-PF) 2 years NBA

I leave out Andrew Bogut 10 years NBA as a starter if he isn't injured which he always is.
Aron Baynes.

Went to the Suns games last night. They started Alex Len. They also have Tyson Chandler. Neither one did anything.
Right where I want to be.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

I always liked Ed Stokes - 7' physical specimen and really good four year player at Arizona. Played in 121 games for us while averaging just over 8 points and 5 rebounds. Didn't have the best hands in the world but was a defensive presence - stuff that didn't show up on a stat sheet. He did end up getting drafted in the second round and playing for 17 minutes in the NBA. Understand that he has been a very successful business man later in life. Yep, I always did like Big Ed.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

gumby wrote:
Aron Baynes.

Went to the Suns games last night. They started Alex Len. They also have Tyson Chandler. Neither one did anything.
Hmm, maybe Baynes has not enough time in the league to qualify for this list? Though he seems to have spent a couple years at San Antonio, so I dunno; guess its a mistake by BBRef (EDIT: BBRef considers him to be a Kiwi - he was born in New Zealand - but he is an Aussie).

Chandler is an American, so he doesn't go on the Aussie list, but he's another example.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Baynes has an unbelievable motor and heart. second to virtually no one. Boguts a highly skilled player, not sure hes a good example
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Cal has multiple bigs too.
I think we see them both on the court at the same time quite a bit. It's not just countering what the opposition throws at us but it gives CSM an added "go big" dimension to work with that few teams in the Pac will be able to deal with.

With Tarc, Ristic and Anderson that's a sizable front court that can control the paint, dominate the boards and get a lot of easy points inside and at the free throw line.

I'm looking forward to seeing this rotation.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

EastCoastCat wrote: With Tarc, Ristic and Anderson that's a sizable front court that can control the paint, dominate the boards and get a lot of easy points inside and at the free throw line.

Honestly I feel like this lineup would be a disaster. RA can't cover a small forward, Tarc would have to cover a PF and that's not his strength, and Deuce isn't great at defending the center yet either.

We can really only play 2 of those 3 together at any one time
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I agree. Twin towers when Anderson is on the bench. And I like Anderson guarding most 4's more than Zeus, and we lose rebounding on both ends with Anderson off the floor. It's something we can throw out there but I don't think it is going to become a frequently used lineup.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

EastCoastCat wrote:With Tarc, Ristic and Anderson that's a sizable front court that can control the paint, dominate the boards and get a lot of easy points inside and at the free throw line.

Jim Boeheim would absolutely love that lineup. Sean Miller not so much.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

rgdeuce wrote:I agree. Twin towers when Anderson is on the bench. And I like Anderson guarding most 4's more than Zeus, and we lose rebounding on both ends with Anderson off the floor. It's something we can throw out there but I don't think it is going to become a frequently used lineup.
Those are some of my favorite words. "It's something we can throw out there." CSM loves options. That is why he recruits versatility. I'd throw Chance and Tolly into that mix too. They can guard some 4's. And Mark is a time bomb that can go off at any time.

Situational is another of my favorite words. Match-ups, match-ups and match-up problems that AZ presents.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:I agree. Twin towers when Anderson is on the bench. And I like Anderson guarding most 4's more than Zeus, and we lose rebounding on both ends with Anderson off the floor. It's something we can throw out there but I don't think it is going to become a frequently used lineup.
Both Ristic and Zeus are true 5's and neither is naturally suited to guard a perimeter oriented or particularly agile player. Those two can play together against teams with multiple players who are not perimeter oriented.

It's a look, but it isn't a good fit for 96% of opponents. I just don't see Anderson vs most 3's. Even if he doesn't get gashed on D, do you want to run a good offensive weapon ragged by playing him out of his comfort zone and chasing smaller, faster guys?

Plus, it isn't like the default Zeus/Ristic and Anderson lineup lacks extremely good length.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

We'd almost have to run zone on defense if they were both out there at the same time, unless they were countering a double post player offense (who has that?).

I could see it done in little sections, like to get some extra rest for Ryan going into a TV time out. That's about it. Unless, again, we decided to pack it in with 3 perimeter defenders in a zone.