Terrance Ferguson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

enfuego

Re: Terrance Ferguson

Post by enfuego »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
enfuego wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Like I said earlier the rotation just became more clear and a possible chemistry issue has gone down the drain. We'll miss his possible defense more than his offense, but that can be made up by other guys. I don't think the conference race changed one damn bit honestly. Ennis is just another ballhandler on a team full of them, so what? Ferguson was just another spot up 3 point shooter on a team that isn't lacking 3 point shooting? So what? Nothing has changed.
Has Alkins qualified? A poster who goes by Russ Smith on scout said he's a partial qualifier on appeal? It's in the TFerg thread.

"Miller went all in on this class, he went after Jackson didn't get him. He went after Ferguson got him then lost him. he went after Alkins who currently is a partial qualifier has to sit out unless the NCAA accepts the Arizona appeal. They went after Markannen who strongly considered going pro. And now Miller is reportedly interested in ex Kansas and Nebraska player Andrew White."
Alkins will be eligible. It sounds like just wishful thinking from that fan on scout. My guess is that he's either a KU or UCLA fan.
Russ Smith is an avid UCLA fan and a very reasonable/knowledgeable poster IMO......I have found him to be quite fair re: Arizona and have had good interactions with him in the past. Having said that, I have no info on Alkins eligibility but his mentioning possible issues does concern me until I hear otherwise.
Later in the TFerg thread he mentions he's a UCLA fan. Back when he was being recruited over on the St. John's board they were questioning on whether St. John's would take him as a partial qualifier and getting him qualified (Alkins). This was before Arizona came into the picture, so I figured Miller got it all resolved. Interesting that Russ thinks Miller will get involved with AW. Insurance for losing Ferguson and Alkins to eligibility issues maybe?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

This thread is depressing and now outdated under Arizona Basketball....can this please be moved?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

enfuego wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
enfuego wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Like I said earlier the rotation just became more clear and a possible chemistry issue has gone down the drain. We'll miss his possible defense more than his offense, but that can be made up by other guys. I don't think the conference race changed one damn bit honestly. Ennis is just another ballhandler on a team full of them, so what? Ferguson was just another spot up 3 point shooter on a team that isn't lacking 3 point shooting? So what? Nothing has changed.
Has Alkins qualified? A poster who goes by Russ Smith on scout said he's a partial qualifier on appeal? It's in the TFerg thread.

"Miller went all in on this class, he went after Jackson didn't get him. He went after Ferguson got him then lost him. he went after Alkins who currently is a partial qualifier has to sit out unless the NCAA accepts the Arizona appeal. They went after Markannen who strongly considered going pro. And now Miller is reportedly interested in ex Kansas and Nebraska player Andrew White."
Alkins will be eligible. It sounds like just wishful thinking from that fan on scout. My guess is that he's either a KU or UCLA fan.
Russ Smith is an avid UCLA fan and a very reasonable/knowledgeable poster IMO......I have found him to be quite fair re: Arizona and have had good interactions with him in the past. Having said that, I have no info on Alkins eligibility but his mentioning possible issues does concern me until I hear otherwise.
Later in the TFerg thread he mentions he's a UCLA fan. Back when he was being recruited over on the St. John's board they were questioning on whether St. John's would take him as a partial qualifier and getting him qualified (Alkins). This was before Arizona came into the picture, so I figured Miller got it all resolved. Interesting that Russ thinks Miller will get involved with AW. Insurance for losing Ferguson and Alkins to eligibility issues maybe?
We're not involved with White.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I asked about White on the other forum here and I asked because I heard the UofA is interested in him.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Perhaps they got in an argument about whether this was a knife?

https://youtu.be/mcE0aAhbVFc" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

"Grab my strong hand"
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

That's not a basketball move...

Hes played 5 games so far

16.8 MPG
7.4 PPG
46% FGs
43% 3s
60% FTs

then theres this...

Zero

Post by Zero »

Gonna be a player in the L.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

This kid is good. Damn
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Olsondogg wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Based on evals against HS players in AAU ball. Read Stanley's piece for some perspective. He would have been exposed in college, so he is in hiding in Australia...everyone will forget him except for when the draft is next year. Smart move on his part.

I'll tell you this: I'll be shocked if he turns out to be great.
Exposed how? He isnt losing defensively under Miller's system and like Gordon, Stanley, Rondae, NJ, TJ, his defensive stock is probably going to rise. There is no indication he is suddenly going to forget how to shoot a 3 pointer either. If you look at him in terms of being a complete player, then yeah, maybe. But the NBA isnt going to draft him to be that. They are going after two very specific things, and looking at his size and athleticism to be able to hang with most 1-3's and stretch 4s on the defensive end. Stanley on the other hand was looked at as a complete/complete-ish player, which he can become once he gets his shot down. Even without being a complete player, say the dude turns out to be a Dennis Scott type shooter who can actually play defense, maybe even be an elite defender in the league. Depending on who is around him, that guy starts on some teams.

First, you compared TFerg to RHJ, who played two years in college...

Second, exposed how? Exposed in college like several players have been. Skal last year at this time was probably a lotto pick based on hype...it happens year in and year out. I am not going to re-hash what the evals on TFerg have been, but if you think he would get the same playing time at Arizona that he will playing in Australia, then so be it. Plus, like his article said, he could get hurt and then things go sideways on him (considering he thinks he was a 1nD irregardless).

Frankly, I don't see the comparisons you are making to Stanley, AG or RHJ. AG is and was an athletic freak who was also as good of a teammate/character guy as you can find. Stanley was a beast, and a sure lotto pick coming into the year. RHJ stayed 2 years at Arizona before getting drafted.

Some team will surely take the gamble on TFerg next year. We shall see how that plays out. Odds are if TFerg could have gotten into school at Arizona, he would have had his work cut out for him. I mean, how many minutes did the 5 star, excellent defender Justin Simon get?
Dont know how i missed this but I cant let it slide now.

They are comparable in terms of size, position, and being lauded as great HS defenders. Like I said, Rondae cant shoot or dribble, and T Ferg does one of those really well. In terms of the other guys, I wasnt making comps. I was pointing out they are guys who continued to grow as defenders under Miller and were highly regarded as such when they were drafted. Meaning, great HS defenders appear to continue to get better under Miller rather than have their stock drop. You are taking credit away from Miller unintentionally here; look at how many GMs and execs praise Miller for how his guys come to the NBA as solid AND smart defenders. The guys I mentioned, as rookies, were more advanced in terms of defensive smarts than nearly all of their young peers, some who were in their 2nd and 3rd years in the league

And Simon was a bad way to wrap this up. He had no guard skills. He couldnt dribble, he had a brutal shot, he wasnt a good passer. He was defense and athleticism and potential. T Ferg was considered a sharpshooter. He has one leg up on him there if he was average, but hes got about 4 being a sharpshooter. T Ferg wasnt quite as athletic and didnt have the explosive first step, but he was a superior finisher than Simon. Simon was a combo guard without the proper skills to be a point, and at the 2, your point and your other wing better be good outside shooters because you are sacrificing a shooting position just for his D. I hate to use this but nothing else is popping in my head, but he was "offensively retarded." Would that improve with time, maybe. Like I said, a sharpshooting 2 than can play D, theres not much more you can ask for. Post up behind the 3 point line and hit the open shot, play D. NBA teams would be lining up after the lottery through pick 22 for a guy like that to come off their bench. Not a complete offensive player and never will be, but those guys can still give you 18 off the bench in 18 minutes on a hot night.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

A bit of acting by the Aussie but clearly a frustration swing. Im sure most of us have done it in practice or pickup games, but had enough restraint to not do it in a regulation game.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

This thread is so painful with 'what could have been'.....so disappointed, even more so with the Trier situation.

Since TF never played at the U of A, shouldn't this thread be moved to non-UA sports?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

why isn't TF here again?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:why isn't TF here again?
Wasn't going to qualify.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Wasn't going to qualify.
Have heard that's not necessarily the case at all. The real reason is probably the mass amount of wings Arizona had with Trier, Rawle, Kobi, and Kadeem. He would've got PT for sure, but maybe not enough to keep him a 1st rounder.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

ChooChooCat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Wasn't going to qualify.
Have heard that's not necessarily the case at all. The real reason is probably the mass amount of wings Arizona had with Trier, Rawle, Kobi, and Kadeem. He would've got PT for sure, but maybe not enough to keep him a 1st rounder.
He didn't help his cause down under from the stats above.

Certainly wouldn't have done worse, and early on, probably would have seen 20 mpg.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ouch that is a very rough season, best game was 13pts 2rebs

Under Armour gave him $500K!?

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... der-armour" target="_blank

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/2016-6 ... asketball/" target="_blank
I’ve played against a lot of guys from overseas, and I’ve heard about how many hours they put in. If I get that many hours, with my talent, my athleticism, my game, my mindset, I can be one of the best players in the nation. I can be a top draft pick.
His stock actually dropped lol, late 1st rounder now
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

JMarkJohns wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Wasn't going to qualify.
He didn't help his cause down under from the stats above.

Certainly wouldn't have done worse, and early on, probably would have seen 20 mpg.
Could've used him with all the injuries we suffered and played himself into lottery as a sophomore.

Patience is a virtue.

Now where is career at?
SDCat

Post by SDCat »

I wish we had T Furg too although I'm not sure he was even an option (did he pass clearinghouse?) but his career seems to be just fine... http://www.draftexpress.com" target="_blank has him going 20th in the first round this year.
"This game was invented to have fun. If you can't enjoy playing basketball, you've missed a lot." - Lute Olson
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

He's a high upside D/3 guy based upon athleticism. He'll get drafted, though I could see him slipping into the 2nd. He has almost no facilitation skills. If his shot isn't falling, he's not good offensively.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

He was 13th before he went overseas according to mocks. Now 20th.

Hard to imagine w Millers coaching and the opportunities early on a the roster instability he wouldn't have at least stayed lotto.

It'll be interesting to see how his career pans out. If he goes the way of GJ or Ebi or any of the other hundreds of wtf decisions that $500k will seem like a horrifically terrible lack of foresight move. Or it might work out for him and he might get w a team who has patience and he gets a few years to prove himself. Either way he's less of a sure thing now than he would have been.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »