let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: let's talk '17

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:If pressed to choose only one, I wonder what most would prefer: Trier is eligible for this entire season or Ayton actually plays at AZ next year?
Trier now, and not even a tough decision. Next year we will (probably) have Dusan at Center with Chance backing him up/playing the 4. Lee incoming, Smith likely returning, and there is plenty of time left with the 17 class. Focus on the now, you can always adapt later.
Do we get Brandon McCoy next year? McCoy, Ristic, Comanche and Lee is a good rotation without Ayton. Frankly, part of me worries that if Ayton and McCoy both came, Lee gets Craig Victor type stuff.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:If pressed to choose only one, I wonder what most would prefer: Trier is eligible for this entire season or Ayton actually plays at AZ next year?
Trier now, and not even a tough decision. Next year we will (probably) have Dusan at Center with Chance backing him up/playing the 4. Lee incoming, Smith likely returning, and there is plenty of time left with the 17 class. Focus on the now, you can always adapt later.
Do we get Brandon McCoy next year? McCoy, Ristic, Comanche and Lee is a good rotation without Ayton. Frankly, part of me worries that if Ayton and McCoy both came, Lee gets Craig Victor type stuff.
True. The composition of our '17 class remains in flux. We could conceivably lose Ayton and still end up with the #1 class. Crazy.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Beachcat97 wrote:
84Cat wrote:I know this guy is going to MSU but he will be here this weekdend
Yeah. It's not happening. Can't remember a time when a guy was this heavy of a lean to another school and then suddenly committed to AZ.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions" target="_blank
Are you serious? Ayton did exactly that like two months ago.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RaisingArizona wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Yeah. It's not happening. Can't remember a time when a guy was this heavy of a lean to another school and then suddenly committed to AZ.

Was Ayton leaning as heavily towards another school as Bowen is towards MSU?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Was Ayton leaning as heavily towards another school as Bowen is towards MSU?
Yes. Crystal ball was 0% Arizona and either 96% or 100% KU.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Interesting. Ok, then. Here's hoping he joins our class.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Ayton was a unique case. Hardly anyone was recruiting him with a cloud of eligibility and straight to the NBA concerns. And no one thought he was announcing until he did.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:I'd take Trier this year over Ayton next year, if we could only have one. And yeah, it's not even close.

Sorta think AT being eligible could be the difference between merely getting to the tourney and perhaps getting to the second weekend.
I think this is a tournament team without Trier. Still a lot of talent and guys like Alkins and Simmons and Smith (if healthy) are three future pros who will start finding their stride come January/February. You cannot underestimate what type of offensive player LM is going to be for us either. Add in the other pieces, I think that group is a team that can get to the second week as long as they dont pull a bad matchup in the round of 32. To me, Trier is the killer that takes a good team to the next level.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Ayton was a unique case. Hardly anyone was recruiting him with a cloud of eligibility and straight to the NBA concerns. And no one thought he was announcing until he did.
We did also get in on Kobi and Alkins very late and unexpectedly. Kobi wasn't up to the announcement, but no one was predicting him to Arizona until about a week prior.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Witchcraft
Right where I want to be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I'd take Trier this year over Ayton next year, if we could only have one. And yeah, it's not even close.

Sorta think AT being eligible could be the difference between merely getting to the tourney and perhaps getting to the second weekend.
I think this is a tournament team without Trier. Still a lot of talent and guys like Alkins and Simmons and Smith (if healthy) are three future pros who will start finding their stride come January/February. You cannot underestimate what type of offensive player LM is going to be for us either. Add in the other pieces, I think that group is a team that can get to the second week as long as they dont pull a bad matchup in the round of 32. To me, Trier is the killer that takes a good team to the next level.
Agreed. Without AT, we're obviously weaker but not so weak that we'd miss the tourney. With AT, sky's the limit.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Obviously things like this are a false choice but I'm mentioning it because some others seem to have picked Trier.

I also think it's an easy choice, but the easy choice is Ayton. He really seems like a once in five year type player that makes you an instant championship contender (if not favorite).
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Surprised that more aren't on board with SCCats. I would definitely take Ayton over most anyone on this team. Trier, as good as he is, has qualities other guards have, but you can't teach height, and combine that with skill, it's a Lew Alcindor-type game-changer.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Yeah I love Zo, but you get Ayton in while finishing out the class strong and you're talking a top 2-3 team next year while having the top pick in the draft
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I think the big reservation is, we have Arydis Sabonis Jr as a senior who just may be a game changer by that time, plus Comanche, Smith, and whoever else we bring in. As good as Ayton is, the dropoff isnt going to be huge. While this year's team has talent, Trier is a 20ppg guy on most teams and can kill teams with his jumper or dribble. He's our alpha in a year the final four is in our home state. To me, this is a get in and we bring home a natty type of year because those two games are gonna be home games for us. I'm playing the odds here: say we are in that 8-12 range this year and without Ayton we are similar. Would you take two 8-12 teams, or one team (without trier) that is outside of the top 25 and then a top 3? Id rather have more cracks at it, several seasons in recent memory we were a top 5 team and still didnt reach the final 4.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Also, as noted above, even if for some reason Ayton doesn't qualify, we could still have the #1 class, given that there are still guys out there ranked in the top 20 we're actively recruiting.

In the end, I think we'll be fortunate to have both, Trier this year and Ayton next. I was just curious to see what kind of value we're placing on Trier this year vs. Ayton next.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Ayton is the reason the class is ranked 1, let's not get it twisted
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote:Also, as noted above, even if for some reason Ayton doesn't qualify, we could still have the #1 class, given that there are still guys out there ranked in the top 20 we're actively recruiting.

In the end, I think we'll be fortunate to have both, Trier this year and Ayton next. I was just curious to see what kind of value we're placing on Trier this year vs. Ayton next.
Even with Walker, there is a good chance that we will not have the #1 class even WITH Ayton let alone without him. Kentucky and Duke are both looking like a solid bet to get 3-4 top 20 guys each in '17.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Also, as noted above, even if for some reason Ayton doesn't qualify, we could still have the #1 class, given that there are still guys out there ranked in the top 20 we're actively recruiting.
We're not going to have the #1 class with Ayton. We certainly wouldn't have the #1 class without him.

I could certainly give two shits whether we have the #1 class either.
Zero

Post by Zero »

YoDeFoe wrote:Ayton was a unique case. Hardly anyone was recruiting him with a cloud of eligibility and straight to the NBA concerns. And no one thought he was announcing until he did.
Kansas thought they had him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Zero wrote:
Kansas thought they had him.
And now it's just Enfuego speculating he won't be eligible.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Wilkes prob verbals to UCLA soon so it makes sense. First to commit between him and Lonnie
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

Agree with you Main Event, think it probably was a mutual agreement.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

We're likely in the top two for Walker, Bowen, and McCoy at this point.
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

Being #2 with all three won't help us.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Azgirl wrote:Being #2 with all three won't help us.
It's just a cloudy day for you huh?
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

lol, my post was just a stab at humor....
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Azgirl wrote:lol, my post was just a stab at humor....
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

lol
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Walker and McCoy for sure, Bowen slight chance.

If we get Walker and McCoy, this class goes down in Arizona lore. Our guards will be MASSIVE (besides PJC) and our Bigs will be bigger than ever. Supposedly Commanche is still growing so that makes Commanche, Ayton, and Ristic, 3 7-footers down low, with 6'11 MASSIVE McCoy. Then 6'8 and up for like 4 more guys. Jesus Christ. Jesus God Almighty.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

luteformayor2 wrote:Walker and McCoy for sure, Bowen slight chance.

If we get Walker and McCoy, this class goes down in Arizona lore. Our guards will be MASSIVE (besides PJC) and our Bigs will be bigger than ever. Supposedly Commanche is still growing so that makes Commanche, Ayton, and Ristic, 3 7-footers down low, with 6'11 MASSIVE McCoy. Then 6'8 and up for like 4 more guys. Jesus Christ. Jesus God Almighty.
If we land McCoy I seriously doubt Ristic is around for another year. Either way your point remains.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 56a8e.html" target="_blank

Arizona basketball: Wildcats to head to Spain in summer 2017
Arizona is scheduling an exhibition trip to Spain next summer, having gained confidence to do so by lining up four early 2017 commitments.

Last December, the Wildcats called off a planned exhibition trip to Italy for last summer because they feared being short on players.

They knew their only fall signee, Lauri Markkanen, probably wouldn't be able to go because of national team commitments and didn't know if Ray Smith would be available after he tore his ACL (as it turned out, he probably wouldn't have been).

Also, at that point, there was no telling if guys such as Kobi Simmons, Rawle Alkins, Keanu Pinder and Terrance Ferguson would show up (and, of course, Ferguson never did, anyway).

But by next summer, even if UA loses senior Kadeem Allen and maybe four or five players early to pro ball or transfers, they may at least have players such as Pinder, Parker Jackson-Cartwright, Dylan Smith, Talbott Denny and Chance Comanche back plus four to six players in the 2017 class.

Ryan Reynolds, UA's director of basketball operations, said Arizona will visit Barcelona and Valencia in a tour similar to the one Sean Miller's brother, Archie, just took with his Dayton team (though Arch went to Madrid instead of Valencia).

"The trip (was) fantastic," Archie Miller said in a Dayton release. "The two cities were everything we thought they would be. I think the guys had a terrific time. When you take a trip like this, the bonding and the experiences together are what you remember."

Most likely, Arizona will try to squeeze in the trip between the end of the second summer semester and the start of fall classes next August.

Under NCAA rules, teams are allowed to take one foreign exhibition tour every four years, and the Wildcats haven't taken one since they went to the Bahamas in 2012. Arizona will visit the Bahamas, DeAndre Ayton's native country, during the 2017-18 season anyway by playing in the Battle 4 Atlantis.
gumby

Post by gumby »

But I kinda like the music ...
Right where I want to be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Never even took a visit out here.

He's going to Kentucky.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

He's going to Kentucky.
Did Ayton visit before he committed?
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

Yes, two unofficials
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

He's going to Kentucky.
I would rather have McCoy commit (obviously). But who knows, Miller is working in black magic now.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

So who are the quality big men committed or already at Arizona next year so far? My gut predictions below:

1. Dusan (think he goes pro or overseas next year, 60% chance, just have this feeling this is his last year, hope I'm wrong)
2. Chance (his academic woes have me concerned...will he struggle to stay eligible? Hope not)
3. Pinder (1 year left)
4. Ayton (? Will he qualify? God, I hope so)
5. Ira Lee

Looks like we have serious room for one more big man or even two....McCoy? If Dusan leaves and Ayton doesn't qualify, we could be quite thin....Thoughts?
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:So who are the quality big men committed or already at Arizona next year so far? My gut predictions below:

1. Dusan (think he goes pro or overseas next year, 60% chance, just have this feeling this is his last year, hope I'm wrong)
2. Chance (his academic woes have me concerned...will he struggle to stay eligible? Hope not)
3. Pinder (1 year left)
4. Ayton (? Will he qualify? God, I hope so)
5. Ira Lee

Looks like we have serious room for one more big man or even two....McCoy? If Dusan leaves and Ayton doesn't qualify, we could be quite thin....Thoughts?
Lauri has not stated that he is 1 and done yet, could stay

Aytons academics are all speculative and unsubstantiated

We are leading for McCoy

Classic Arizona. We could be world class if the stars align or we could have nothing. We play this game every year it seems
Zero

Post by Zero »

Barring a horrific season Lauri is gone. Dude is rising and could be a lotto pick. Cannot teach his height and skills.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Lauri might not be one and done in the same way Aaron and Stanley might not have been one and done.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Zero wrote:Barring a horrific season Lauri is gone. Dude is rising and could be a lotto pick. Cannot teach his height and skills.
Im a Ristic fan, but id put the chances here at 5%.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wouldn't it make more sense for Dusan to get his degree, start for next year's team alongside Ayton, and try to sneak into the NBA Draft? I can't see him going pro after this year unless he has an All-Pac level season.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Lauri might not be one and done in the same way Aaron and Stanley might not have been one and done.
No way, no how IMO....and I'll bet that recruits expect it as well. Better enjoy Lauri this year as he's a OND just like Stanley. Dude will be a lotto pick.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense for Dusan to get his degree, start for next year's team alongside Ayton, and try to sneak into the NBA Draft? I can't see him going pro after this year unless he has an All-Pac level season.
I think most assume he will return to Europe if he is not here next year.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Jakob Poetl came overseas w same hype as a frosh. He was a lotto pick from day 1. Sure fire OAD. And he underperformed (relative to a lotto pick) and slipped to mid-first round in most mocks (15-20 range).

He decided to come back for soph season so he'd guaranteed go lotto while working on his game a little bit so he could contribute right away. He did so, went #9, and is by all accounts well on his way to being an NBA starter for 10+ years.

Now you guys are telling me there's no way that scenario plays out for Lauri???

(And save the different position talk w Poetl being a post up center and Lauri being a stretch 4 in the L. My point still holds).

Also for the person comparing it to Stanley and AG, Stanley , by all accounts, almost stayed for one more year. Some ppl just enjoy playing at Arizona. It's a good time.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PennZona20 wrote:. Some ppl just enjoy playing at Arizona. It's a good time.
Not as good a time as that NBA paycheck.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Agreed. And I don't think it's likely he stays. More like 80/20 he goes when most are saying zero chance he stays.

You would think that Nba paycheck would be more fun than playing in Salt Lake City (Poetl) or Norman Ok (Griffin) or Tempe (Harden) but sometimes a sure fire lotto pick comes back for his soph season. It does happen sometimes. I refuse to just lock him in as gone just yet.

Now a kid like Ayton I would. He has stated as much and is the #1 pick when he leaves. That is of course if we even get him for one year. One thing is for sure if Lauri wants to stay we will have a place for him. Plenty of ships next year w Rays retirement and Trier certainly not coming back next year.

PJC
Ristic
Comanche
Alkins
Kobi
Lauri
pinder
Dylan

That's the absolute max not including the incoming class. I'm sure whether it's Lauri or one of Kobi or Rawle or Duce going back home we will prob have at least one defection. That means it's safe to take 5 kids coming in.

Ayton. Knock on wood
Barcello
Lee

That's a start. Scoop up McCoy and walker and call it a day.