Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I disagree the FBI found no wrongdoing with Miller, Ayton or Alkins. The FBI doesn't clear people, they just don't charge them.

This doesn't change the thrust of what Arizona should be arguing to the NCAA, which is that any punishment should be based in evidence that proves wrongdoing.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I disagree the FBI found no wrongdoing with Miller, Ayton or Alkins. The FBI doesn't clear people, they just don't charge them.

This doesn't change the thrust of what Arizona should be arguing to the NCAA, which is that any punishment should be based in evidence that proves wrongdoing.
I don't know about Miller or Alkins, but I thought Ayton was cleared to play by the NCAA to play...not the FBI?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I disagree the FBI found no wrongdoing with Miller, Ayton or Alkins. The FBI doesn't clear people, they just don't charge them.

If you want to say word choice could be improved I am fine with that but here is what we know.

The FBI stated that they were looking for people who were defrauding the universities by making player ineligible, they found coaches and players who did that, and they interviewed and looked into Miller Ayton and Alkins and brought no charges. The FBI could have charged any of them for a NCAA violation as it would have defrauded Arizona. They did not
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:

If you want to say word choice could be improved I am fine with that but here is what we know.

The FBI stated that they were looking for people who were defrauding the universities by making player ineligible, they found coaches and players who did that, and they interviewed and looked into Miller Ayton and Alkins and brought no charges. The FBI could have charged any of them for a NCAA violation as it would have defrauded Arizona. They did not
I don't disagree with that. As I said, I think we need to start with the idea that we emphasize there is no proof of wrongdoing.

If we argue we did nothing wrong...well, I think it risks looking like we're delusional about what people are legit tied to. Ayton had his "handlers" referred to by Gassnola in the first trial. There's smoke around us.

We need to win on the idea that smoke should not = fire without more proof in the context of NCAA punishment.
prh

Post by prh »

MountainCat wrote:

I don't know about Miller or Alkins, but I thought Ayton was cleared to play by the NCAA to play...not the FBI?
He was, and he was investigated by the NCAA more than any player that year.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

YoDeFoe wrote:Was just having lunch with an older gentleman in the Bay - Cal alum, Arizona fan, well heeled and well connected - who balked at me saying Miller is fine.

“I know AG’s dad - Miller is audacious and aggressive.”

We got into the nitty gritty of the current allegations and he acknowledged they might not bear fruit (for the anti-Zona cops). But his point was “goddamn, y’all go hard and it’s not surprising you’re getting slapped.”

Not especially revelatory but maybe insightful. He had Pasternak’s cell and personal email and acknowledged that he envies, as a Cal fan, our ability to maneuver.
sorry, not sorry
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Apparently the NBA thinks there might have been some prohibited inducements for kawhi to go to the clips.

It would be funny if they can't even play by the rules when they can pay a guy 50 mil a year.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Bruce Pearl: 'Worst behind us' in NCAA investigation

Keep in mind that Auburn was way farther over the line than Arizona... in the scheme longer, took more money, and paid the parents of two recruits which cost them their eligibility (temporarily). Also, Pearl is a repeat offender who previously lied to the NCAA while being investigated for recruiting violations at Tennessee.

If Auburn is through the worst of it, I can't see a lot of pain inflicted on Arizona. Then again, this is likely coach-speak since you can't expect Pearl to say "lot of bad stuff coming our way!"
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

YoDeFoe wrote:Bruce Pearl: 'Worst behind us' in NCAA investigation

Keep in mind that Auburn was way farther over the line than Arizona... in the scheme longer, took more money, and paid the parents of two recruits which cost them their eligibility (temporarily). Also, Pearl is a repeat offender who previously lied to the NCAA while being investigated for recruiting violations at Tennessee.

If Auburn is through the worst of it, I can't see a lot of pain inflicted on Arizona. Then again, this is likely coach-speak since you can't expect Pearl to say "lot of bad stuff coming our way!"

But in the battle or perception, AZ is the real black hat so not sure anything other schools might say means much
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'll wait and see. I doubt Pearl would ever say "we're f***ed" even if they were f***ed.

This is just new ground in a lot of ways. Selfishly, I hope Auburn gets off light because that helps us.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:

But in the battle or perception, AZ is the real black hat so not sure anything other schools might say means much
I dont think so. I think local media says this and assu fans but nationally a lot of people see ESPN's story as what it was, total bullshit and nationally this FBI story is not a huge deal
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

At the planetarium's 50th anniversary celebration for the moon landing, an astronomy grad student was explaining to a bunch of U of A undergrads how Sean Miller got caught paying a bunch of recruits. The students' jaws were agape as they absorbed the bad news about their basketball program. This is the new world we're in.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

I dont think so. I think local media says this and assu fans but nationally a lot of people see ESPN's story as what it was, total bullshit and nationally this FBI story is not a huge deal
Maybe the educated fans but I have been all around this country this summer and whenever I had on my AZ gear I got hit with, “ you guys are going to get killed by the NCAA, will you survive”.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

My experience too Azcat49 in NorCal
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

CalStateTempe wrote:My experience too Azcat49 in NorCal
Well I live in the U.P. and wear Arizona gear quite a bit, I haven't been approached once about it.
We even talk to each other on the trail or at the beach or everywhere else.
Maybe Nobody cares about college basketball here.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Interesting. When wearing UA gear all over California Texas and DC this summer no one said anything like that to me
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Most probably don’t care or follow college b-ball but those that do you can tell watch a lot of ESPIN. I have been in 31 states and DC and had comments in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, NC, Tennessee, Virginia, DC, Michigan (in the Mitt), Wyoming and UDub. Granted I wear AZ Gear almost every day and I do make a lot of eye contact with those people wearing another teams shirt.

The only thing they have said is they think kids should get paid but I have had to explain the bogus reporting over and over again
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

azcat49 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

Maybe the educated fans but I have been all around this country this summer and whenever I had on my AZ gear I got hit with, “ you guys are going to get killed by the NCAA, will you survive”.
I get the same here in Indiana. “You guys are about to get hammered, I hope Archie didn’t learn anything from big bro...”
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Maybe the educated fans but I have been all around this country this summer and whenever I had on my AZ gear I got hit with, “ you guys are going to get killed by the NCAA, will you survive”.
I get the same here in Indiana. “You guys are about to get hammered, I hope Archie didn’t learn anything from big bro...”
I hear it too.

My response is usually along the lines of, “If you’re basing that opinion on what you heard on ESPN or read on Yahoo, I’d check my sources...”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i hear it, and i say go fuck yourself
Ned Zissou

Post by Ned Zissou »

My Sister lives in Johnstown, PA.

When we visited with her this summer, she said their sports-nut friend from J-Town said Sean Miller got screwed over by ESPN and he was fully aware of the unbalanced coverage/accusations the UofA received.

That is one neutral party outside the bubble that sees it our way.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Longhorned wrote:At the planetarium's 50th anniversary celebration for the moon landing, an astronomy grad student was explaining to a bunch of U of A undergrads how Sean Miller got caught paying a bunch of recruits. The students' jaws were agape as they absorbed the bad news about their basketball program. This is the new world we're in.
That Grad Ass needs a kicked ass (metaphorically.) However, it just goes to show academia’s contempt towards athletics. Like academia is so innocent...
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Longhorned and I are both academics. And we outrank a grad assistant. Just goes to show you how much academics love athletics. :P
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Wonder who he lost a bet with to have to post something like that.

Probly rise and flail
-Norlander.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Summer is almost over and only one program, NC ST, has received a letter and they said 6 would. They also mentioned 2 high profile programs would receive a letter in July and only the above did. Wonder what the delay is or if they want to wait for the full attention to be on college football before they lower the boom
tricat

Post by tricat »

azcat49 wrote:Summer is almost over and only one program, NC ST, has received a letter and they said 6 would. They also mentioned 2 high profile programs would receive a letter in July and only the above did. Wonder what the delay is or if they want to wait for the full attention to be on college football before they lower the boom
NC State was proactive in announcing they received their notice of allegations, but it's not uncommon for schools to drag it out a bit before releasing it (frequently releasing it due to FOIA requests). So it's possible the other schools did get them last month.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

azcat49 wrote:Summer is almost over and only one program, NC ST, has received a letter and they said 6 would. They also mentioned 2 high profile programs would receive a letter in July and only the above did. Wonder what the delay is or if they want to wait for the full attention to be on college football before they lower the boom
Don't forget about Auburn. They announce three weeks ago that they expect to have a notice of allegations for the bribery scandal ($91,000+ in bribes)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... bery-case/" target="_blank

There's your two schools in my opinion...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MountainCat wrote:
Don't forget about Auburn. They announce three weeks ago that they expect to have a notice of allegations for the bribery scandal ($91,000+ in bribes)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... bery-case/" target="_blank

There's your two schools in my opinion...
Yep, there's your two. The big question is whether we'd be part of the next round of 4. The longer we don't get one, the better things are.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well I do want us not to be part of the 6 so we can flush our shit right down Dickie V’s throat.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Utah just got 2 years probation for impermissible recruiting activities...

"Two years of NCAA probation is announced for "Level II Mitigation" penalties for recruiting during a quiet period in 2018. Associate head coach Tommy Connor was suspended by the school for a week last season, according to NCAA."
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Every asshole Ute fan told me they were clean...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Here's the Yahoo Sports article that just came out on the Utah Violations:

https://sports.yahoo.com/utah-hit-two-y ... 51451.html" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

MountainCat wrote:Here's the Yahoo Sports article that just came out on the Utah Violations:

https://sports.yahoo.com/utah-hit-two-y ... 51451.html" target="_blank
The entire coaching staff was involved in a recruiting a player during the quiet period. JFC, Utah isn't dirty - they're plain stupid.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I'm not going to gloat because honestly Larry K was one of the few people that said "Lets see the evidence before we accuse Miller"...probably the ONLY Pac12 guy to slow the roll against Sean...

Still...his staff maybe shouldn't try to recruit unmarried players anymore...just saying...it is Utah.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:I'm not going to gloat because honestly Larry K was one of the few people that said "Lets see the evidence before we accuse Miller"...probably the ONLY Pac12 guy to slow the roll against Sean...

Still...his staff maybe shouldn't try to recruit unmarried players anymore...just saying...it is Utah.
Now we can understand why Larry K said that about miller - he was worried about what was coming his way....
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Anyone know what their two year probation includes? I didn't understand that part...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MountainCat wrote:Anyone know what their two year probation includes? I didn't understand that part...
Utah's mascot, Swoop the red-tailed hawk, will have to submit to random drug tests as ordered by their PO.
prh

Post by prh »

CatFanOneMil wrote:I'm not going to gloat because honestly Larry K was one of the few people that said "Lets see the evidence before we accuse Miller"...probably the ONLY Pac12 guy to slow the roll against Sean...

Yeah but he also ran his mouth quite a bit about how they'd unexpectedly lose recruiting battles and knew other programs were cheating.

Plus that fan base was obscene when we visited them after the initial "scandal" broke, as that was our Pac12 opener. So screw them.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

prh wrote:

Yeah but he also ran his mouth quite a bit about how they'd unexpectedly lose recruiting battles and knew other programs were cheating.

Plus that fan base was obscene when we visited them after the initial "scandal" broke, as that was our Pac12 opener. So screw them.

You know now that you mention it they WERE grade A dicks to is and to Ayton and the rest of them team, that fall on the coach as far as I'm concerned, you've changed my mind FUCK Utah and the coach K they rode in on...

G.L.O.A.T.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Utah fans are easily the worst fans in the PAC. I'm not sure it's even close.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Olsondogg wrote:Utah fans are easily the worst fans in the PAC. I'm not sure it's even close.
It's not. They're straight up trash and I have no reason why they're so puffed up about their middling program.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Just know that if AZ gets an official notice of allegations, ESPN will put it all over its front page, meanwhile all these other allegation announcements are buried.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Now this is a school that knows they're fucked. We're doing nothing remotely similar to this.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:Utah fans are easily the worst fans in the PAC. I'm not sure it's even close.
you're being too kind - the country
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

midnightx wrote:Just know that if AZ gets an official notice of allegations, ESPN will put it all over its front page, meanwhile all these other allegation announcements are buried.
Look at the difference in coverage between "magical run by Auburn!"...while they had to sit two players who took payments vs "Sean Miller is a dead man walking" ...while there was never a solid indication he was involved - you can bet the house that any news on an Arizona penalty will be treated as A1 material.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

YoDeFoe wrote:
midnightx wrote:Just know that if AZ gets an official notice of allegations, ESPN will put it all over its front page, meanwhile all these other allegation announcements are buried.
Look at the difference in coverage between "magical run by Auburn!"...while they had to sit two players who took payments vs "Sean Miller is a dead man walking" ...while there was never a solid indication he was involved - you can bet the house that any news on an Arizona penalty will be treated as A1 material.
No doubt about it. It will be the first major story on the ESPN website about this topic in months. After the credibility hit the network took for the bogus FBI report/Miller wiretap story, any time an accusation or mention of AZ comes up, ESPN publishes something to try to corroborate its original screw-up.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
I only care about potential sanctions and recruiting. Beyond that, at this point, I think I actually prefer being the bad guy. I'm pretty far gone on caring about being labeled.

If we're looked at as outlaws, we're in the West.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

97cats wrote:
you're being too kind - the country
you're being too kind -the planet