Sean Miller Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: Sean Miller's ceiling

Post by MrBug708 »

I wouldn't wish RC97 on the Nazis or the Taliban. This thread is still stupid.

Tough loss
Salty

Post by Salty »

SCCats wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:
SCCats wrote:protip for the night: think before you post
You're right. I'm posting on emotion.

I take it back. Stupid thing to say. Just really upset. I thought we had this.
I know people are upset. It's ok. But Sean is going to be winning Pac titles and knocking on the door (if not bashing through it) to the final four for the next 25 years. We'll get there.
Problem is...

We probably lose 6 guys.

Senior PG and 4 superstars.

Next year will likely be a rebuild.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I think if our guys bail early on miller minus Stanley its a slap in the face to Miller. I think it's getting close 2 years in a row and bailing is not cool!
Salty

Post by Salty »

3goggles wrote:I think if our guys bail early on miller minus Stanley its a slap in the face to Miller. I think it's getting close 2 years in a row and bailing is not cool!
They need to make their money.

Miller will probably be pushing them out.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Salty wrote:This game was a defining moment...

Sean Miller will remain in the Jay Wright, Mark Few, Jamie Dixon tier of coaches.

Good, but not quite great.
Yet. And yes, this thread is stupid. Please post responsibly. :roll:
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
cpt

Post by cpt »

Miller is becoming the Phil Mickelson of college basketball coaches - won't be respected until he wins a major (gets to a FF). Beginning to think it will happen only when it's unexpected.
Salty

Post by Salty »

UAdevil wrote:
Salty wrote:This game was a defining moment...

Sean Miller will remain in the Jay Wright, Mark Few, Jamie Dixon tier of coaches.

Good, but not quite great.
Yet. And yes, this thread is stupid. Please post responsibly. :roll:
Miller will get his.

Need a breakthrough... For now. Not there yet
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Ill take Phil Mickelson. Get me to three elite 8's in six seasons. Eventually this buttfucking shit luck will change
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Salty wrote:
3goggles wrote:I think if our guys bail early on miller minus Stanley its a slap in the face to Miller. I think it's getting close 2 years in a row and bailing is not cool!

You have got to be kidding. "Pushing them out" would be a little like Hara-Kiri. If Miller can re-recruit 2 out of 3 of RHJ/Bash/Tarc he will still have enough in the tank for another deep run next year.

Miller is an elite defensive coach.......he is NOT an elite offensive coach. Unless he improves in this area (hiring an experienced coach with a good offensive record?) he may have well hit his ceiling if everyone bails out on him. The next couple of years would be a rebuilding project.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dmjcat wrote:
Salty wrote:

You have got to be kidding. "Pushing them out" would be a little like Hara-Kiri. If Miller can re-recruit 2 out of 3 of RHJ/Bash/Tarc he will still have enough in the tank for another deep run next year.

Miller is an elite defensive coach.......he is NOT an elite offensive coach. Unless he improves in this area (hiring an experienced coach with a good offensive record?) he may have well hit his ceiling if everyone bails out on him. The next couple of years would be a rebuilding project.
Offense is not why we lost. Wisconsin is a top 10 defensive team and we shot 56% from the field against them, scoring 78 points. In 38 games ONE team scored more against them; that was Duke, and they scored 80.

The lesson learned here is do not play a team that has 3 big front court players that shoot 80+% from beyond the arc.

Everyone thinks "something needs to be changed" when things don't work out. That is not always true; sometimes sh*t happens.

Maybe recruiting 6'10 guys who can bury it from deep is the answer, but they will have their limitations, too - if we can find them.
AzDave

Post by AzDave »

Harvey Specter wrote:Everyone thinks "something needs to be changed" when things don't work out. That is not always true; sometimes sh*t happens.
Thank you....this one point should be it's own stickied thread.

Some people just lose their shit when their team loses. Sure there are things we can all discuss regarding plays, coaching decisions, fouls, etc. ...but this board definitely has some whiny, finger pointing bitches when a tough loss happens.
az91

Post by az91 »

cpt wrote:Miller is becoming the Phil Mickelson of college basketball coaches - won't be respected until he wins a major (gets to a FF). Beginning to think it will happen only when it's unexpected.
Unexpected, that's how it happened when Lute finally won the natty.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

az91 wrote:
cpt wrote:Miller is becoming the Phil Mickelson of college basketball coaches - won't be respected until he wins a major (gets to a FF). Beginning to think it will happen only when it's unexpected.
Unexpected, that's how it happened when Lute finally won the natty.
Yep like maybe next year.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

zone defense wouldn't have stopped the barrage of 3s (thanks to Pitts being put in an impossible position trying to guard 6'7 bombers) but it would have prevented Bash from getting 2 fouls in the first 90 sec and having FK almost put us in a insurmountable hole from the first 5 min

zone - what on earth is that????
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RiseAndFire wrote:zone defense wouldn't have stopped the barrage of 3s (thanks to Pitts being put in an impossible position trying to guard 6'7 bombers) but it would have prevented Bash from getting 2 fouls in the first 90 sec and having FK almost put us in a insurmountable hole from the first 5 min

Why are you stuck on that exactly? It's far from what cost Arizona the game and it wasn't exactly a crazy decision either. Miller thought Ashley would be better on Frank, it is what it is. We didn't have anyone that could matchup with him plain and simple. We didn't lose because of 2 fouls on Ashley early, so cut the crap already.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

In another 4 years and 4 more tournament appearances I think Miller will have far surpassed lute's first 10 years. Wouldn't be surprised if Miller had 22 wins after 10 years.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:This is a bad loss. Worse than the other two this season, imo.

Time and time again, Sean Miller's teams lose when they should be winning comfortably.

There are going to be all kinds of patient, quixotic responses to this post and this game, and that's fine. I suppose it's part of being a fan. But let's face it: this is the second straight season with a legit top 5 team and they're fading down the stretch. Again.

The conversation has changed from, how many more games will we lose before the tourney, to will we even win the Pac 12?

The longer Miller's at AZ, the more I appreciate Lute Olson.

Miller's ceiling is the Elite Eight and an occasional Pac title, which aren't insignificant achievements, but I think our expectations are higher, aren't they?

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

RiseAndFire wrote:zone defense wouldn't have stopped the barrage of 3s (thanks to Pitts being put in an impossible position trying to guard 6'7 bombers) but it would have prevented Bash from getting 2 fouls in the first 90 sec and having FK almost put us in a insurmountable hole from the first 5 min

Jesus Christ. For two straight years we have been a top 3 defensive team in the country and we are talking about zone.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Harvey Specter wrote: The lesson learned here is do not play a team that has 3 big front court players that shoot 80+% from beyond the arc.

All that has to be said about the loss. That shit never happens and it did.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

There is not a defense out there that could have stopped Dekker. Unless you went John Cheney on him, he wasn't missing.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:

Jesus Christ. For two straight years we have been a top 3 defensive team in the country and we are talking about zone.
THANK YOU.

We have the two best defensive seasons in school history and people want to change the defense. To a defense that tries to force the jumper when we lost on the other team hitting jumpers.
az91

Post by az91 »

Miller broke through some of the ceiling this year:

He won the PAC-12 conference tournament.
He defeated Matta in an NCAA tournament game.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

az91 wrote:Miller broke through some of the ceiling this year:

He won the PAC-12 conference tournament.
He defeated Matta in an NCAA tournament game.
Also got the inevitable Xavier tournament game out of the way.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Elite 8
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

NYCat wrote:Elite 8
Is and always will be Elite 8 until he grows a bit as a coach, in my nobody-gives-a-shit-what-I-think opinion.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Happen to agree with you POM. Started out with D-Will as an awesome game coach, then just showed less and less flexibility under pressure with every passing year short of the Final Four.

Adapt or be swallowed up. That's where Miller is at. Biggest disappointment since '05.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

catgrad97 wrote:Happen to agree with you POM. Started out with D-Will as an awesome game coach, then just showed less and less flexibility under pressure with every passing year short of the Final Four.

Adapt or be swallowed up. That's where Miller is at. Biggest disappointment since '05.
Doubled down on it as well with the manta of "do what we do". Well coach, we do what we do, and we keep missing the final 4 regardless of talent or opponent. But we'll keep banging our head against the same wall next year.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I get Miller coached a bad game...But people are acting like they want him fired now. Probably time to go to bed and sleep it off.

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

ASUHATER! wrote:I get Miller coached a bad game...But people are acting like they want him fired now. Probably time to go to bed and sleep it off.
Yea he fucked some things up in retrospect but it's still the players fault. They settled down the stretch and got complacent, basically played prevent D basketball version.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Absolutely not. Like right before Lute's first Final Four, there was the embarrassing giveaway to UTEP at McKale that lit the fire under Lute.

That next season was Lute's "show cause" time, and now, with Miller, even moreso.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I've seen no one say he should be fired. Just coached a bad game and he needs to adjust some things.

But currently, his ceiling is the roof.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Miller needs to make some adjustments.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

that's right miller has no ceiling,

even though he hadn't beaten a single team seeded higher than his in six years running now
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Love him, but he is stubborn to a fault.

I just need to realize that this is as far as he can take the Cats, Elite 8 is it after the huge choke this year.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

NYCat wrote:I've seen no one say he should be fired. Just coached a bad game and he needs to adjust some things.

But currently, his ceiling is the roof.
No one has explicitly said it but damn the pitchforks and torches are out. I'm already over this loss. I'm numb to losing as an Arizona fan by now. All I've witnessed in my nearly 15 years of being a fan is 3 sweet 16 and 5 elite 8 losses. Not going to a final 4 and having crushing disappointment is what is expected.

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I really thought this was our year. Feel like an idiot. Should've never pissed the game away the way we did. Fuck.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Merkin wrote:Love him, but he is stubborn to a fault.

I just need to realize that this is as far as he can take the Cats, Elite 8 is it after the huge choke this year.
Miller has a high floor and low ceiling.

I'll remain convinced of that until he proves it otherwise
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Until 3 hours ago I thought it really was our year. My first final 4 as a college basketball fan. Finally. Now I know it will never happen more than likely. So depressed.
AztoCa

Post by AztoCa »

pokinmik wrote:I really thought this was our year. Feel like an idiot. Should've never pissed the game away the way we did. Fuck.
This was a unique team had a real chance to get to the final 4
may the Bear Be Down! :D
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

How many times has a CSM team fallen one missed shot attempt short of reaching the Final Four? At least 3 times I can think of off the top of my head. Not his fault that shots just didn't fall. And if Brandon Ashley doesn't break his foot a few years ago against Cal, that team cruises to the Final Four, easily. He'll get there one of these years. No doubt in my mind. Just needs a little luck to go his way for a change.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Macho Grande wrote:At least 3 times I can think of off the top of my head.
The 2 Wisky games and X for 3 years in a row.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Luck? Arizona was up 8 with 2:30 to play against a freaking 11 seed, with a revenge game to play in Phoenix in the offing.

If that's not enough luck, you'll never have enough to be successful.

Great teams, great PROGRAMS lock that down. They don't repeat the dazed choke Arizona has more than a handful of times in one-and-done scenarios.

This program is better than this, but by God that's all talk right now.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I'm the biggest AZ homer there is but this loss was inexcusable. It was a choke plain and simple. Not quite as bad as Illinois but at least Illinois had homecrowd and some legit studs on their team. Illinois we were up 15 after Salim hit his three with just under 4 I believe. Then same thing, gave up on offense and expected the opponent to piss it away and or give up. Once the momentum swings it is over.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

We had the fucking perfect bracket in the West and in the east with Nova and Duke losing - coast to the title game.

That's luck

With a final four in Phoenix and this team choked up 8 with 2:30 mins to go.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

NYCat wrote:We had the fucking perfect bracket in the West and in the east with Nova and Duke losing - coast to the title game.

That's luck

With a final four in Phoenix and this team choked up 8 with 2:30 mins to go.
The setup was primo. Dream scenario. 20 year anniversary and everything too. Just pissed away in two minutes.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Don't worry guys Sean Miller will make numerous Final Fours....at North Carolina. I have zero doubt of it.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

entire ncaa path on west coast, can't beat an 11 seed with s team full of 5* and 4* PJC Chase

he's never going to get it done - it's time to just accept reality

great recruiter
awesome at revenge timeouts
clueless in game coach - ZERO FEEL
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

For as shitty of a game as Miller coached, he didnt blow an 8 point lead w 2:30 left. If you want to blame it on the personnel he had in, Xavier probably had one fucking guy that was more regarded than any of the five we had on the floor, and we had another on the bench who was more regarded than any of them.

For the problems we had w the zone late, remember it wasnt an issue during that run when we seemingly clinched the game w 2:30 left. We were getting stops as well.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

rgdeuce wrote:For as shitty of a game as Miller coached, he didnt blow an 8 point lead w 2:30 left. If you want to blame it on the personnel he had in, Xavier probably had one fucking guy that was more regarded than any of the five we had on the floor, and we had another on the bench who was more regarded than any of them.

For the problems we had w the zone late, remember it wasnt an issue during that run when we seemingly clinched the game w 2:30 left. We were getting stops as well.
That's not how I saw it. We were still chucking it only a few went in. Hero ball paralyzed us for the last 10min at least and Sean did nothing to get us out of that.