let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '20

Post by ChooChooCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:We passed on Akinjo last time, Zags this time. He's not a monster get. We just need someone to fill minutes.
He passed on us last time. We need a starting point guard, he's way more than a fill in minutes guy.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Sounds like another Trier.

Hope Akinjo has a better attitude.
He's much more Momo or Lyons than Trier, but he also passes more than any of the 3 guys.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pretty strong jaded vibe in this thread. We need a win at Eugene to raise the spirits.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:Pretty strong jaded vibe in this thread. We need a win at Eugene to raise the spirits.
Going back a month, our best win is vs Omaha.
prh

Post by prh »

Speaking of Eugene, anyone else gonna be there? I'm visiting family in Oregon next week, intentionally scheduled to make it to both games on the road trip. Suggestions on seat selection at the Matt and Gill would be appreciated
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

Beachcat97 wrote:Pretty strong jaded vibe in this thread. We need a win at Eugene to raise the spirits.
Beating the hell out of ASU would help some. It doesn't fix any of the problems the team has right now. But after they swept us last year, pounding them would be a welcome sight.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

One game at a time. We have talent, we just need to develop.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Scheer tweeted something about Miller being disenchanted with this roster. Sounds like there are some head cases. Does not bode well to have this cropping up in January.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Scheer tweeted something about Miller being disenchanted with this roster. Sounds like there are some head cases. Does not bode well to have this cropping up in January.
If a quote ever came out generally saying Miller was “disenchanted with this roster” I think my fandom would melt into a puddle on the floor.

But it’s all good: we’ll just start dreaming of next year’s freshmen, amirite??
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SCCats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
If a quote ever came out generally saying Miller was “disenchanted with this roster” I think my fandom would melt into a puddle on the floor.

But it’s all good: we’ll just start dreaming of next year’s freshmen, amirite??

And who’s fault it is it in recruiting this roster?

See my earlier comment on EQ needed in recruiting and being flexible to those your recruit into the program.

Grab your balls and DWWD!!!!! Yeah!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

It’s cool, I didn’t need to take all those days off in March and April for travel anyways.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Good lord. There’s not a coach in the world completely happy on January 3rd.

Lute would make similar comments about players hunting shots, not defending, not rebounding, not playing hard all the time. The fact that Miller is saying it publicly is to get it in the media so players make the changes themselves.

A month ago Miller made comments how this team likes each other. Settle down everyone.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Miller said guys need to play for the right reasons and not for personal agendas. First, he's not wrong.

Next, it surprises me this board has been going off on all the problems we have, then there's surprise when Miller says there are problems. Lastly, this is a thing even the best Arizona teams had. Guys like Simon, Bibby and Dickerson has personal desires to be pros. Managing that is a coach's job.

The fact Miller says it means he hasn't quit. The first rule of basketball as a player (from personal experience) is that the worst criticism your coach can give to you is stopping criticizing you.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

All good points, Spiff.

I’m just ready to see them come out with urgency and fire this weekend. That St. John’s loss left one of the worst tastes in my mouth of any recent non-NCAA tourney loss. Just a flat out embarrassing performance in a game we needed to win.

Still tons of time for this team to find their groove and do big things. All starts this weekend.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
What Miller said was that he’s unsure if his team is capable of winning a conference championship the way it’s currently constructed.

“That’s how I really feel about things right now for our team,” he said. “I think one of the most important parts is the team’s collective attitude. We’ve had a really good attitude. We have worked hard since we’ve gotten back from the break. You lose a game the way we lost against St. John’s, it can really get people’s attention."

So BeachCat does that sound to you like he thinks he has head cases? You need to pull your head out and quit stirring shit up that doesn't exist.

You become the catalyst for idiots like CalStateTempe.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Win at Eugene??? I'll be happy to get the split and beat OSU in Corvallis.

First we need to focus on asu, which is hardly a gimme the way we have been playing
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Unsurprising to see loyalists reading into Miller's quote. He's separating himself from blame. When we finish fourth-sixth in conference he can point back and say "told ya in January, they just didn't buy in." The only ones buying DWWD these days are the fools on this board. But yeah, okay, it's Miller time. :roll:
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

TatetheGreat wrote:Unsurprising to see loyalists reading into Miller's quote. He's separating himself from blame. When we finish fourth-sixth in conference he can point back and say "told ya in January, they just didn't buy in." The only ones buying DWWD these days are the fools on this board. But yeah, okay, it's Miller time. :roll:
Put your fucking money where your mouth is. I’ll bet you $500 Arizona finishes no lower than second in the PAC, right now. Aside from last year and Miller’s first season, when did Arizona ever finish 4th through 6th?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

zonagrad wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Unsurprising to see loyalists reading into Miller's quote. He's separating himself from blame. When we finish fourth-sixth in conference he can point back and say "told ya in January, they just didn't buy in." The only ones buying DWWD these days are the fools on this board. But yeah, okay, it's Miller time. :roll:
Put your fucking money where your mouth is. I’ll bet you $500 Arizona finishes no lower than second in the PAC, right now. Aside from last year and Miller’s first season, when did Arizona ever finish 4th through 6th?
I would never bet against my alma mater but good to know where you stand. How about March, willing to venture a guess?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

TatetheGreat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
I would never bet against my alma mater but good to know where you stand. How about March, willing to venture a guess?
March is and always will be a crapshoot. I’ve seen the worst Arizona team to ever make the NCAA tourney reach the Sweet 16 (2009) and some of the best flame out early (1993, 2000). Right now I’d say we’re fully capable of reaching the round of 16 and those are my expectations as of January 3rd.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

zonagrad wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
March is and always will be a crapshoot. I’ve seen the worst Arizona team to ever make the NCAA tourney reach the Sweet 16 (2009) and some of the best flame out early (1993, 2000). Right now I’d say we’re fully capable of reaching the round of 16 and those are my expectations as of January 3rd.
Agree we're capable of S16, not sure I expect it. There are at least three teams who look better in-conference but it's early. Imagine outperforming both our expectations....
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Well if he finishes fourth it is where Az. is projected to finish. Oregon, Colo, and Wa were projected ahead of us. Wa is losing to UCLA by 10 at half at home and Colo beat Oregon.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

TheCat wrote:
Well if he finishes fourth it is where Az. is projected to finish. Oregon, Colo, and Wa were projected ahead of us. Wa is losing to UCLA by 10 at half at home and Colo beat Oregon.
Yes, we're relying on the development of four freshmen while starting Smith and Jeter. This isn't 2018 when a flawed roster could win a bad conference.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Hate to be that dude, but this is the recruiting thread guys. Take it to the season thread. *takes off board police hat*
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Welcome to the big-time, boys. Looks like Few can’t resist the lure of the merry-go-round either.

Top-10 prospect Jalen Suggs announced his commitment to Gonzaga on Friday night, becoming the highest-ranked recruit in program history.

"I think Mark Few is the best coach in the country," Suggs said during his announcement on ESPN2.

Suggs, who had been rumored over the past few months to potentially go overseas for one season instead of college, confirmed during his announcement that it's a "very serious" option and that there have been talks with multiple professional teams.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

My thoughts exactly. Miller already in CYA mode in early January. A team floundering yet self preservation remains his top priority. DWWD cultists; a fools conundrum.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Captain Obvious wrote:
My thoughts exactly. Miller already in CYA mode in early January. A team floundering yet self preservation remains his top priority. DWWD cultists; a fools conundrum.
And yet you think Akinjo made “the right decision”.

All of your posts are clown posts.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

ChooChooCat wrote:Hate to be that dude, but this is the recruiting thread guys. Take it to the season thread. *takes off board police hat*
Passive aggressive much? It's a sports message board dude. Relax.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Captain Obvious wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Hate to be that dude, but this is the recruiting thread guys. Take it to the season thread. *takes off board police hat*
Sure thing Captain Dipshit who is only wrong once in a blue moon or something? You happen to miss the sarcasm where I took off the board police hat off or are you too busy being right about every thing?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Guys, guys...

So how are we doing with Ziaire?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:
Sure thing Captain Dipshit who is only wrong once in a blue moon or something? You happen to miss the sarcasm where I took off the board police hat off or are you too busy being right about every thing?
He's too busy typing "Yawn" and other decade-old troll attempts to establish what he thinks is some kind of Alpha dominance on a board that has already endured such stupidity in separate cycles from fans of three other schools.

To a man, these trolls all have one thing in common: They're too narcissistic to actually be bothered to read.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Guys, guys...

We're leading.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

We're leading.

Thanks, Choo! The ‘20 roster may end up pretty solid if certain things break our way. Hope Zeke stays one more year.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

We're leading.

At some point can you reveal who the Euro pg is? Would be interesting to compare him and Akinjo going forward, thanks.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

We're leading.

At some point can you reveal who the Euro pg is? Would be interesting to compare him and Akinjo going forward, thanks.
Yeah give it a bit and I promise to tell you. Just want to make sure we've fully abandoned that recruitment before I let it out.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

We're leading.

Yeah give it a bit and I promise to tell you. Just want to make sure we've fully abandoned that recruitment before I let it out.
Gimme all the damn point guards.....
97cats

Post by 97cats »

"They got rid of a guy that wouldn't pass the ball to anybody and just shot every time. That's why they're good now,"

Boeheim said referring to Akinjo after his team's loss to Hoyas.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/nc ... mes-akinjo
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:"They got rid of a guy that wouldn't pass the ball to anybody and just shot every time. That's why they're good now,"

Lots of "OK BOOMER" vibes coming from Boeheim.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:"They got rid of a guy that wouldn't pass the ball to anybody and just shot every time. That's why they're good now,"

The fact Boeheim dislikes him makes me want him more.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Funny, I thought Boeheim was in a time warp and talking about Melo.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

And by ‘good’ he means not good?
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Ben Mathurin says he is picking between us or Baylor on the 15th. What’s the vibe here?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:Ben Mathurin says he is picking between us or Baylor on the 15th. What’s the vibe here?
Don't have a feel for it honestly. Not sure anybody outside of Canada does.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So he’d be joining a guard corp expected to be comprised of Baker, Akinjo, Williams (hope hope) plus whoever else we add this spring. We’re not especially deep in the backcourt next season, so big chance for freshmen/transfers to get minutes. We were originally going to have Armstrong and Doutrive next season. My how quickly things change.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NickyBCats wrote:Ben Mathurin says he is picking between us or Baylor on the 15th. What’s the vibe here?
kinda like going into a commitment and not knowing who leads, makes it more fun...

that being said, my frustrations with miller are making me less excited about recruiting in general
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
kinda like going into a commitment and not knowing who leads, makes it more fun...

that being said, my frustrations with miller are making me less excited about recruiting in general
If they gave out trophies for recruiting victories, Miller would be giving Coach K a run for his money.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Scheer is pretty much saying without saying Mathurin is picking Arizona.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:Scheer is pretty much saying without saying Mathurin is picking Arizona.
I'd listen to Scheer if that's what he's saying.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Commitment video