Post by Jefe »

Little still at 33% AZ, UNC 67%

Bol Bol 50% AZ 20% USC

Barrett 44% Duke and UK
ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '18

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:It looks like Little will be visiting at the same time as Bol Bol, the week after the Red / Blue. Interesting.
Little is visiting during Red/Blue, Bol during homecoming (the week after).

Little having an in home before the visit (this Sunday) could be big. Seems like UNC is leading
Don't pay attention to the Crystal Ball here, Arizona, Miami, and UNC are probably all on equal footing. If anything at this very moment I'd say it's an Arizona/Miami battle, although obviously can't count out UNC.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:It looks like Little will be visiting at the same time as Bol Bol, the week after the Red / Blue. Interesting.

Little having an in home before the visit (this Sunday) could be big. Seems like UNC is leading
Don't pay attention to the Crystal Ball here, Arizona, Miami, and UNC are probably all on equal footing. If anything at this very moment I'd say it's an Arizona/Miami battle.
Crystal ball can be way off when no one's updated their pick in a while. It's when the big swings happen that it is particularly interesting.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:

Don't pay attention to the Crystal Ball here, Arizona, Miami, and UNC are probably all on equal footing. If anything at this very moment I'd say it's an Arizona/Miami battle.
Crystal ball can be way off when no one's updated their pick in a while. It's when the big swings happen that it is particularly interesting.
Most of those picks occurred after UNC offered him and they were rumored to be his dream school. They came in late in the recruitment when Arizona had already devoted the entire summer around him at the position. I'm not saying UNC couldn't make up ground, but Arizona was certainly ahead even going into his visit there last week. Miami concerns me more at this moment. Also interesting is every single Duke insider picked Arizona to land him lol.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NYCat wrote:

Apparently I don't calendar good - thanks for the correction.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Interesting we picked up a couple crystal predictions for Simisola Shittu from Meyer and Slater. I am curious if Miller's strategy is to recruit both Bol and Shittu relentlessly and take the first one (hopefully) that commits. I don't see Arizona adding both with Oneal already on board.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Frybry02 wrote:Interesting we picked up a couple crystal predictions for Simisola Shittu from Meyer and Slater. I am curious if Miller's strategy is to recruit both Bol and Shittu relentlessly and take the first one (hopefully) that commits. I don't see Arizona adding both with Oneal already on board.
Whoa that's very interesting. I know Miller has went out of his way to see him twice in the last week or so, but I didn't think we would be remotely ahead of Oregon (I find it strangely odd they have no picks on the crystal ball) or Kentucky in this one. I do know that if Arizona can land both Simi and Bol it absolutely will do so as each plays different positions. I assume in the scenario we pull the hail mary and land Simi and Bol then the sell to Reef immediately comes down to being a combo forward.

Fwiw though I'm not a Meyer fan. It does catch my eye when he makes a crystal ball choice, but I always take it with a grain of salt. His USC selection for Bol is a prime example of that. I'm curious to see when Simi would visit Arizona as at this moment I don't believe a visit is set up.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Can't pay attention to the crystal ball during official visit season. Whichever school has hosted a player most recently typically jumps up in the prediction count.

I like Meyer because he doesn't go in an update his picks three hours before an announcement. It feels like he updates the pick when he has new information, but not just to make himself look good at 11:59.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Puerco wrote:Can't pay attention to the crystal ball during official visit season. Whichever school has hosted a player most recently typically jumps up in the prediction count.

I like Meyer because he doesn't go in an update his picks three hours before an announcement. It feels like he updates the pick when he has new information, but not just to make himself look good at 11:59.
That's certainly true, but I don't always trust Meyer's info in general. In regards to your first comments, we haven't hosted Shittu on campus yet.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Slater is pretty reliable. This is outta left field. Another Duke guy pegged him to us this morning.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Any two of O'Neal/Shittu/Bol would put us in a great situation. All three plus a returning Lee and incoming Jeter is almost too much.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

You guys sure know how to make this wildcats heart sing.

Just get miller his ff and or chipper and he's here for the long haul.

I hope it happens this year.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Shittu/Bol or Bol/Little?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Shittu/Bol or Bol/Little?
How about Little/Shittu/Bol? They all play different positions.

Obviously the hiccup in that happening is Reef, so I dunno how it'll end. I still haven't heard or seen an AZ insider comment much on Shittu lately fwiw.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Always thought Shittu to Kentucky was a lock if he got a scholarship offer.

Anyway, if we're getting Shittu because UK doesn't want him, oh well, we'll take him I guess.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2017/9/20/16 ... imi-shittu" target="_blank
However, the news is not so good with Simi Shittu. Once thought to be a Kentucky lean, Shittu now appears to be trending elsewhere, according to Roberts, who adds that Shittu may not visit Kentucky.

That visit was when Shittu was expected to get a scholarship offer from Calipari, but even if he did have an offer, it’s hard to see Shittu picking Kentucky without having visited.

And the fact that Jaxson Hayes just got an offer while Shittu has not tells you that things aren’t looking good with the latter. There’s also been some crystal ball movement for Arizona in the Shittu recruitment, including a prediction from 247 recruiting ace Andrew Slater.

And according to Kyle Tucker of SEC Country, there may be some unwillingness for Shittu and Barrett to play together in college.

Multiple sources have indicated there is some doubt about whether Shittu, another Canadian, and Barrett want to play together in college. Perhaps the lack of an offer to Shittu means the Wildcats feel good about their chances to land Barrett

Barrett and Shittu used to be teammates at Montverde in Florida, but Shittu has since transferred to Vermont Academy in Vermont. Alas, if Kentucky misses on Shittu but gets Williamson, I’d say they’ll be fine.
I don't necessarily believe it, but I wonder why Calipari hasn't offered.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Obviously the hiccup in that happening is Reef, so I dunno how it'll end. I still haven't heard or seen an AZ insider comment much on Shittu lately fwiw.
Where does Akot fit in to that.

Also 'reef could affect Bol, which would suck
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

RJ Barrett on campus tomorrow.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

If we brought that class in, we would be looking at Bol/Shittu starting with Jeter and Shareef/Lee coming off the bench. Wing wise, it would be a tossup, IMO between a soph Akot and freshman Little as to who starts. Little/Akot/Randolph would be a loaded wing lineup, especially with Smith and Barcello plus the prospect of Williams and Quinerly playing together.

I have a tough time envisioning Jeter, Lee, Shareef, Bol and Shittu all being able to coexist. That's a lot of bodies for 2 positions, and unless things change, there ain't much wing time either.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

So many questions about what's going on lol. I've got them too!

Honestly I've heard Little is a Miami lean at the moment (doesn't mean that cant change), so the overall scenario I see utilizing my son's magic 8 ball is we sell Reef as a combo forward (although IMO he's not), land Shittu (he'd have to visit first), and land Bol. Bol starts at the 5, Shittu at the 4, Akot starts at the 3, Randolph at the 2, and Q at the 1. Holy young starting lineup batman! Jeter is the 5 off the bench, Lee/O'Neal battle for the 4 spot, maybe O'Neal gets some back up 3 minutes along with Randolph. Williams, Barcello, and Q all split minutes in the backcourt with Randolph of course.

Either way I always thought Shittu would end up at Oregon, but even an Oregon insider listed his overall landing spot as foggy.

I still take all this crystal ball with a grain of salt, but it'll be interesting how this all goes down. Call me when Shittu visits.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

azcat34 wrote:RJ Barrett on campus tomorrow.
Any chance insiders? Zero buzz about this that I can tell.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

If he ends up anywhere other than Duke or Kentucky I'll be shocked.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Honestly I've heard Little is a Miami lean at the moment (doesn't mean that cant change), so the overall scenario I see utilizing my son's magic 8 ball is we sell Reef as a combo forward (although IMO he's not), land Shittu (he'd have to visit first), and land Bol. Bol starts at the 5, Shittu at the 4, Akot starts at the 3, Randolph at the 2, and Q at the 1. Holy young starting lineup batman! Jeter is the 5 off the bench, Lee/O'Neal battle for the 4 spot, maybe O'Neal gets some back up 3 minutes along with Randolph. Williams, Barcello, and Q all split minutes in the backcourt with Randolph of course.

Either way I always thought Shittu would end up at Oregon, but even an Oregon insider listed his overall landing spot as foggy.

I still take all this crystal ball with a grain of salt, but it'll be interesting how this all goes down. Call me when Shittu visits.
I mean, if these are truly our options, it is between loaded and super ****ing loaded.

We're young, but that team would have a silly amount of talent with or without Little if we got both Bol and Shittu. Even if we only got one of Bol/Shittu and missed on Little, our "backup plan" is starting the 4th year junior who was a McD's All American.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I mean, if these are truly our options, it is between loaded and super ****ing loaded.

We're young, but that team would have a silly amount of talent with or without Little if we got both Bol and Shittu. Even if we only got one of Bol/Shittu and missed on Little, our "backup plan" is starting the 4th year junior who was a McD's All American.
I mean theoretically Arizona's hole next season at the moment is probably a dominant 4 man and not on the wing. You'd think Akot and Randolph would be back next year with Akot starting at the 3 and numerous options at the 2 to slide Randolph over to the 3 to rest Akot. You couldn't pay me to say no to Little or Barrett, but if Arizona walks out of this with Shittu and Bol (or has to settle for Shittu and Jeter) I could certainly live with that outcome based on what we (should) have coming back next season.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'm still okay with So. Ira Lee and Fr. Shareef O'Neal at the four in a "we only get Bol Bol" scenario (with Jeter in the mix too). Not a marquee PF rotation but I'm high on Lee's upside in his second year - I think he's a natural defender (once he learns the system) and has offensive talent that is underrated. Then again - I'm no scout.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Miller and Romar were at a 6am workout of Shittu (along with about every other D1 coach) in Vermont last week.

Miller was back watching Shittu in Vermont again this week. Tireless.

Averaged 21 and 10 on the summer EYBL circuit. Measuring in at 6'10" now.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Javon Quinerly working out at the Under Armor All American camp.

Handles look tight, that glass work (Jelly!) looking mighty dangerous.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Miller is amazing. It's like he keeps raising his own bar with each class. He is fearless on the recruiting trail, and you have to think opposing coaches are not happy when Miller shows up to watch these elite recruits.

#seasonofthewitch
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Miller is in a class of his own.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:...and you have to think opposing coaches are not happy when Miller shows up to watch these elite recruits.
Especially with Romar in Arizona gear sitting next to him. Dope as fuck.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:I'm still okay with So. Ira Lee and Fr. Shareef O'Neal at the four in a "we only get Bol Bol" scenario (with Jeter in the mix too). Not a marquee PF rotation but I'm high on Lee's upside in his second year - I think he's a natural defender (once he learns the system) and has offensive talent that is underrated. Then again - I'm no scout.
I think we'll be fine even with "just" one of Bol/Shittu. Jeter is an ex McDonalds kid who needs to have his production match his physique. Shareef is in the 20-30 range which is hit or miss for playing right away. Lee is a bit undersized with a high motor and development year.

You have to figure at least one of those three pays off well enough to provide a solid starter. Maybe none do, but all of them seem like decent workers for whom effort won't be an issue.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

If we don't get Bol who backs up Jeter at the 5?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:If we don't get Bol who backs up Jeter at the 5?
Bryan Penn-Johnson?

79th rated, four star seven footer out of Utah.

He also doesn’t know which schools he’ll ultimately take visits to.

“Not in the slightest, not yet,” he said of potential trips.

That said, Penn-Johnson said there are two coaches he has the best relationship with.

“Coach (Mike) Hopkins from Washington and Coach (Sean) Miller from Arizona,” said Penn- Johnson.

“I like the energy of the coaching staff at Washington. With Arizona, I’ve known them since my freshman year so we’ve built a relationship over time.”

Says he's holding out until 2018 to make a decision (so if Bol Bol is slipping away, there'd be a big opening for him and he'd have the time to see it develop).
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Damn... I'm looking at this kid thinking we want him either way.

7'0 tall with a 7'8 wingspan. Peep his length on D here (#23).

Was ranked as a three star, outside the top 200 not long ago (as in, this Spring)... had a big Pangos AA camp and is shooting up the rankings. Apparently only recently picked up the game, says he realized he has a future in it and has been putting in work trying to capitalize. Dropped 60lbs of fat hitting the treadmill for four miles every morning, is still very much in development (at 215lbs he could use another thirty of muscle) but has those NBA caliber physical tools (I mean Jesus... that wingspan).

Played in the Adidas Nations tournament, was on the winning team for 15min/g doing dirty work and not much else. Box score looks like an unskilled big guy. Commits too many fouls, turns it over too much, has no offense to speak of... but did get a good number of blocks in his limited time.

Seems like he knows he's a developing player, he knows he can be more than he is and prides himself on D. We've been in touch with him since he was a freshman and Miller says he's begun to key in on players that rise quickly (because there's usually a good reason for them to rise and they usually carry that trajectory forward).

Would love to get this kid, give him a season to develop (even or especially behind / against Bol Bol) and let him figure out the game so he can be out there for more than ten minutes a game by his Sophomore season.
prh

Post by prh »

YoDeFoe wrote:Damn... I'm looking at this kid thinking we want him either way.

Was ranked as a three star, outside the top 200 not long ago (as in, this Spring)... had a big Pangos AA camp and is shooting up the rankings. Apparently only recently picked up the game, says he realized he has a future in it and has been putting in work trying to capitalize. Dropped 60lbs of fat hitting the treadmill for four miles every morning, is still very much in development (at 215lbs he could use another thirty of muscle) but has those NBA caliber physical tools (I mean Jesus... that wingspan).

Played in the Adidas Nations tournament, was on the winning team for 15min/g doing dirty work and not much else. Box score looks like an unskilled big guy. Commits too many fouls, turns it over too much, has no offense to speak of... but did get a good number of blocks in his limited time.

Seems like he knows he's a developing player, he knows he can be more than he is and prides himself on D. We've been in touch with him since he was a freshman and Miller says he's begun to key in on players that rise quickly (because there's usually a good reason for them to rise and they usually carry that trajectory forward).

Would love to get this kid, give him a season to develop (even or especially behind / against Bol Bol) and let him figure out the game so he can be out there for more than ten minutes a game by his Sophomore season.
Also from the same school as Akot
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

YoDeFoe wrote:Damn... I'm looking at this kid thinking we want him either way.

If he really does see himself as a developing player, you could still take him with Bol. maybe redshirt.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

We're not even really on him at least at this point. Bol or bust is where we're at.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:We're not even really on him at least at this point. Bol or bust is where we're at.
Damn, that's a bummer. Would love to get them both and just stash this kid's wingspan until his bball IQ gets up. As always thanks for the recruiting insights!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:We're not even really on him at least at this point. Bol or bust is where we're at.
Damn, that's a bummer. Would love to get them both and just stash this kid's wingspan until his bball IQ gets up. As always thanks for the recruiting insights!
I just don't see how we have room unless he's willing to be stashed. Bol, Shittu, Jeter, O'Neal and Lee would all be ahead of him, and he's not ready to contribute right away.

I love his potential, but he's in the weird place of not being ready right away, but good enough that he probably wants a role right off the bat that a team with Final Four aspirations can't provide.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
I just don't see how we have room unless he's willing to be stashed. Bol, Shittu, Jeter, O'Neal and Lee would all be ahead of him, and he's not ready to contribute right away.

I love his potential, but he's in the weird place of not being ready right away, but good enough that he probably wants a role right off the bat that a team with Final Four aspirations can't provide.
I mean... he was the 250th ranked player four months ago! He played 15min/g this summer for his USA Red and put up more fouls than points and rebounds combined. He was the third C in the depth chart.

I think he really is aware that he isn't ready right now to get minutes on a good team. He talks about being focused on developing, and I'm not sure going to Washington and standing in the middle of a zone for twenty minutes a game for a bottom dweller is the best way to develop.

Check those links with his interviews. He talks the talk.

He's rising because he has potential and hardly anyone had seen him play before (got a late start on bball, sat out with injuries and transfer rules). He's not a guy you can plug into a team. Kid will foul out of a game in 20min at his current skill level.

Anyways - I'd love to stash this kid for a year. I'm trying to talk myself into him coming to Arizona :D
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

I mean... he was the 250th ranked player four months ago! He played 15min/g this summer for his USA Red and put up more fouls than points and rebounds combined. He was the third C in the depth chart.

I think he really is aware that he isn't ready right now to get minutes on a good team. He talks about being focused on developing, and I'm not sure going to Washington and standing in the middle of a zone for twenty minutes a game for a bottom dweller is the best way to develop.

Check those links with his interviews. He talks the talk.

He's rising because he has potential and hardly anyone had seen him play before (got a late start on bball, sat out with injuries and transfer rules). He's not a guy you can plug into a team. Kid will foul out of a game in 20min at his current skill level.

Anyways - I'd love to stash this kid for a year. I'm trying to talk myself into him coming to Arizona :D
If he's willing to apprentice for a while, I'd love to have him. I think he has great upside but just needs a lot of seasoning. I could see him as a force his junior and senior year.

Hey, I hope you're right. Bol with Penn-Johnson to add to Jeter/Lee/Shareef would be sweet. Plenty of developmental time with the opportunity to step into a starting role. Senior Lee and Junior Penn-Johnson would be a great upperclassman duo.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If we get either Bol or Shittu, I feel really good about where we are at in terms of our post rotation next year. Fingers crossed.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:If we get either Bol or Shittu, I feel really good about where we are at in terms of our post rotation next year. Fingers crossed.
What if we get both? I think we're pretty much in the position where we land Bol and Shittu or Bol and Little.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Think we got this one in the bag
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:If we get either Bol or Shittu, I feel really good about where we are at in terms of our post rotation next year. Fingers crossed.
What if we get both? I think we're pretty much in the position where we land Bol and Shittu or Bol and Little.
Little would be nice on the wing. If we have a lineup of:

Bol or Shittu
Jeter, Lee or Shareef
Akot
Randolph
Quinerly

I would think we were in very good shape. Get Bol and Shittu or Bol and Little and we get into juggernaut (young, but juggernaut) territory.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This '18 class, man...it's looking Caliparian.

You know what would really set it off? If the '18 class's arrival on campus is preceded by a national title. The program would soar to new heights.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

any info on the current Barrett visit today?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Choo, what would be your preference between shittu and little? I feel like little is more versatile w/ better O? Are both OAD or is either more likely to stay a second year?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

A1RZONA wrote:any info on the current Barrett visit today?
At least he gets to see a tailgate/football game
prh

Post by prh »

A1RZONA wrote:any info on the current Barrett visit today?
High of 91 in Tucson, so it doesn't feel awful but campus will definitely be looking good.