Lauri Markkanen

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Lauri Markkanen

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sporting News and NBC Sports 3rd Team All-American honors for Lauri.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

When Lauri gets his mojo back on the long ball, things will get very interesting for teams facing Arizona. He'll be a nightmare.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Very well deserved honors for Lauri. He has been a joy to watch all season long. Only hope that there might be another season in a Wildcat uniform for him.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's a measure of how good Lauri has been that we interrupt discussion of a slump to inject that he is an All-American. It's an award he richly deserves, and will be one of the first of plenty of accolades for him.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yep. I think he was on pace for first team honors before the shooting slump.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Puerco wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:it's legs

millers defense has the poor guy sprinting between the paint and the perimeter like a 7' ping pong ball 20 times a game. after 30 games it adds up - his shooting has fallen off a cliff. he's lost a bunch of $$$ over the past month.
I don't know how to respond to this other than to say it's literally the stupidest thing I've read in a month. And that's hard to imagine given the news I read every day!
I'm glad you took the incredibly valuable time out of your news reading routine to post this yawner of an insult instead of doing something constructive.

congratulations!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Sweet!

Does this buy him a mckale banner?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ehh i think you have to be 1st team all american or win a national or conference player of the year award for a ring of honor banner.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Puerco wrote:

millers defense has the poor guy sprinting between the paint and the perimeter like a 7' ping pong ball 20 times a game. after 30 games it adds up - his shooting has fallen off a cliff. he's lost a bunch of $$$ over the past month.
I don't know how to respond to this other than to say it's literally the stupidest thing I've read in a month. And that's hard to imagine given the news I read every day!
I'm glad you took the incredibly valuable time out of your news reading routine to post this yawner of an insult instead of doing something constructive.

congratulations!
I'm concerned you're expending a lot of effort responding to him. Maybe just cover a small portion of his response to save yourself from having to chase all the points? That way you only have to respond to arguments in a particular area.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:
Puerco wrote:

congratulations!
I'm concerned you're expending a lot of effort responding to him. Maybe just cover a small portion of his response to save yourself from having to chase all the points? That way you only have to respond to arguments in a particular area.
That was a thing of beauty Spiff...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

HiCat wrote:When Lauri gets his mojo back on the long ball, things will get very interesting for teams facing Arizona. He'll be a nightmare.
Let's just hope it happens before it's too late. Need him to shoot at least 40% from there in the dance to make a Final 4 imo.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Puerco wrote:

congratulations!
I'm open to suggestions on how to constructively engage with your inane premise that playing man to man defense is the reason behind Lauri's shooting slump. Because, you know, every other player on the team plays the same defense.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Not sure how tired legs from playing defense is to blame for Lauri missing threes at the start of the game. Or how he could be tired playing 22min/g shooting 0-5 from deep against ASU and 1-3 against Cal.

Or that's just bad analysis and we can leave it.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Lauri Markkanen’s shots not falling as he adjusts to ‘blend’ of scoring opportunities
Markkanen has been scoring more around the basket in recent weeks, but that may be causing his jumper to be off
by Ryan Kelapire@RKelapire Mar 7, 2017, 9:05am PST

“There’s nothing wrong with Lauri’s shot,” Miller reiterated.

“If there’s one thing that I think he’s going through, it’s he played a style that’s been very face up-oriented,” Miller said. “Very uptempo. He’s comfortable playing that style. That’s a 24-second international FIBA basketball game. There’s a lot of similarities between FIBA and the NBA. College basketball, because the shot clock is not at 24, it’s a more physical game around the basket.”

Miller said Markkanen has done an “incredible job” of learning how to utilize his size to adapt to the increased physicality, but because the freshman has placed so much emphasis on doing so, it may be negatively affecting his perimeter game.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... s-shooting" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

From that same article (quoting this week's presser):

“He’s offensive rebounding, posting up, scoring closer to the basket, getting fouled more in the last six weeks than he did earlier in the year,”

Right... so unfortunately that's not true. Lauri is pulling down 6% fewer ORebs, shooting 12% poorer from 2 and only getting 10% more FTAs per game.

If I was just looking at the UW and WSU road trip then I'd agree with Miller entirely. Unfortunately that hasn't been the norm but rather the outlier. Maybe that's what they're working on and Miller likes what he's seeing... but that's not the results we're consistently seeing.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Puerco wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:
Puerco wrote:

congratulations!
I'm open to suggestions on how to constructively engage with your inane premise that playing man to man defense is the reason behind Lauri's shooting slump. Because, you know, every other player on the team plays the same defense.
translation: I haven't the slightest idea what's up with Lauri but I'll clutter up a thread anyways because I like reading my own posts!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I don't know, I think I get his point.

Point is that every guy on the team plays the same D. If man saps your legs, why is PJC shooting much better than earlier in the year? Does man only impact tall people?

Maybe man to man defense can't be blamed for all problems?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Seems the Finnish Freeze is thawing. Good time for the slump to break and for him to start heating up...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

How you play in the middle of the season does not matter

It's all about the Finnish
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

20 pts, 3 rebs

4-7 from 3
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

BearDown89 wrote:Seems the Finnish Freeze is thawing. Good time for the slump to break and for him to start heating up...
4-7 from three tonight which is much better than he has been shooting lately. It makes you wonder if the one game in the past 12 days might be the rest he needed before the tournaments.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Naw, Im sticking with it being 100% mental. He looked completely different on his second two makes than he did on the first two. Big layoffs are always nice for regrouping and getting some extra practice and more confidence in to shake a slump though
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

rgdeuce wrote:Naw, Im sticking with it being 100% mental. He looked completely different on his second two makes than he did on the first two.
exactly
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Naw, Im sticking with it being 100% mental. He looked completely different on his second two makes than he did on the first two. Big layoffs are always nice for regrouping and getting some extra practice and more confidence in to shake a slump though
This. Sooner or later, some were going to go down, and there's nothing like the confidence boost when you see a few go in. The weight lifts.

I'm excited to see him shake the slump off.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

lol, believe what you want but the fact is we had 1 game in the past 2 weeks before last night afforded everyone considerably more rest than the previous weeks

I'm just glad he's trending up because if we're not hitting over 40-45% from three we are toast against any solid team. we were sub 30% in every loss this year
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

rgdeuce wrote:Naw, Im sticking with it being 100% mental. He looked completely different on his second two makes than he did on the first two. Big layoffs are always nice for regrouping and getting some extra practice and more confidence in to shake a slump though
Exactly. He barely missed the shot before and immediately put it up again and made it. Something clicked in his head and he adjusted perfectly
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

LM is going to have a big game tonight, I can feel it. He and Zo will put on a show.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

stroke is looking good in pregame anyway
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

29 tonight, this is the Lauri that I hoped we were getting. Bad ass ready for March!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azcat49 wrote:LM is going to have a big game tonight, I can feel it. He and Zo will put on a show.
Nice call!
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Probably the only game all year his family didn't have to get up real early for...they probably watched him live during a late breakfast...fucking LArry Scott and his 10 pm starts
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

No disrespect to TJ Leaf, but losing him and gaining Lauri worked out ok.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:No disrespect to TJ Leaf, but losing him and gaining Lauri worked out ok.
I'm perfectly fine with "all disrespect to TJ Leaf". He bailed and Karma caught up.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

luteformayor2 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:No disrespect to TJ Leaf, but losing him and gaining Lauri worked out ok.
I'm perfectly fine with "all disrespect to TJ Leaf". He bailed and Karma caught up.
:lol:

Coach Miller agrees perhaps?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Can you imagine UNC w Lauri right now?
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Honest question... can you remember seeing such an amazing shooter that shoots as many airballs as Lauri does?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Honest question: how does your only All American end up the game 4/4 from the field?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:Honest question: how does your only All American end up the game 4/4 from the field?
Oregon threw everyone they could at Lauri. Shots just weren't there.

To his credit, he forced nothing.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

“We talk about it all the time, being a complete player, and his goals,” Pasternack said. “There are a lot of players in the NBA who are just three-point shooters. There are 6-10 guys who are just three-point shooters. He wants to be a complete player. His goal is to be an NBA All-Star, not just a lottery pick and a good NBA player.
I just got goosebumps
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

7 feet and look at how high that release is. He gets it off real quick considering his size and age too.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Jefe wrote:
“We talk about it all the time, being a complete player, and his goals,” Pasternack said. “There are a lot of players in the NBA who are just three-point shooters. There are 6-10 guys who are just three-point shooters. He wants to be a complete player. His goal is to be an NBA All-Star, not just a lottery pick and a good NBA player.
I just got goosebumps
Last time I heard coaches and players talk like that it was Jim Rosborough talking about why Sean Elliott made the decision to come back for his SR year. How did that turn out :)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

azcat49 wrote:
Jefe wrote:
I just got goosebumps
Last time I heard coaches and players talk like that it was Jim Rosborough talking about why Sean Elliott made the decision to come back for his SR year. How did that turn out :)
Those were the good old days.....wish the NBA Players Union would pull their heads out of their butts and adopt something similar to baseball or football....all these kids leaving early sucks for both fans and is bad for some of the players too (yes Jerrett I see you).

Oregon is so good because they are loaded with upper-classmen.....Can you imagine what this team would look like if Lauri, Rawle, and Kobi were Juniors & Seniors instead of Freshmen??? Wow.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I hope Lauri isn't too tired from playing man defense during the conference tourney.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Puerco wrote:I hope Lauri isn't too tired from playing man defense during the conference tourney.
He might need a nap in the second half.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote:
Puerco wrote:I hope Lauri isn't too tired from playing man defense during the conference tourney.
He might need a nap in the second half.
I would love Lauri to contribute to the nap thread