Lauri Markkanen

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

jsbowl16

Re: Lauri Markkanen

Post by jsbowl16 »

Puerco wrote:I hope Lauri isn't too tired from playing man defense during the conference tourney.
He wont be. One game in twelve days before the conference tournament definitely helped.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
Jefe wrote:
“We talk about it all the time, being a complete player, and his goals,” Pasternack said. “There are a lot of players in the NBA who are just three-point shooters. There are 6-10 guys who are just three-point shooters. He wants to be a complete player. His goal is to be an NBA All-Star, not just a lottery pick and a good NBA player.
I just got goosebumps
Last time I heard coaches and players talk like that it was Jim Rosborough talking about why Sean Elliott made the decision to come back for his SR year. How did that turn out :)
Those were the good old days.....wish the NBA Players Union would pull their heads out of their butts and adopt something similar to baseball or football....all these kids leaving early sucks for both fans and is bad for some of the players too (yes Jerrett I see you).

Oregon is so good because they are loaded with upper-classmen.....Can you imagine what this team would look like if Lauri, Rawle, and Kobi were Juniors & Seniors instead of Freshmen??? Wow.
I think making them stay through sophomore season is a happy medium. Anything more, you are pushing guys to play overseas, inviting greedy AAU people to create a "CFL" type of situation, and you may see some guys going the JUCO route like baseball.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

jsbowl16 wrote:
Puerco wrote:I hope Lauri isn't too tired from playing man defense during the conference tourney.
He wont be. One game in twelve days before the conference tournament definitely helped.
Yep, I knew I should have used a sarcasm emote. :)
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

rgdeuce wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
Jefe wrote:
“We talk about it all the time, being a complete player, and his goals,” Pasternack said. “There are a lot of players in the NBA who are just three-point shooters. There are 6-10 guys who are just three-point shooters. He wants to be a complete player. His goal is to be an NBA All-Star, not just a lottery pick and a good NBA player.
I just got goosebumps
Last time I heard coaches and players talk like that it was Jim Rosborough talking about why Sean Elliott made the decision to come back for his SR year. How did that turn out :)
Those were the good old days.....wish the NBA Players Union would pull their heads out of their butts and adopt something similar to baseball or football....all these kids leaving early sucks for both fans and is bad for some of the players too (yes Jerrett I see you).

Oregon is so good because they are loaded with upper-classmen.....Can you imagine what this team would look like if Lauri, Rawle, and Kobi were Juniors & Seniors instead of Freshmen??? Wow.
I think making them stay through sophomore season is a happy medium. Anything more, you are pushing guys to play overseas, inviting greedy AAU people to create a "CFL" type of situation, and you may see some guys going the JUCO route like baseball.
Interesting rgdeuce on the AAU angle....ok, I'd happily take your suggestion....anything but ONDs....as much as I enjoyed Aaron and Stanley, they are easily forgettable when reminiscing over past, great Arizona players....One Year is just way too short a time to bond.

At least with your 2 year minimum, that'd take a load off of the Coaches recruiting, stressing, planning-wise and would be more fun for us fans....really takes a lot of fun out of the game when you're stressing, from day one, who of your star Freshmen will bail early :-(
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

As much as I dislike the one-and-done situation, it still beats the hell out of guys making the jump straight out of high school. We now get to see the Kobes, McGradys, Garnetts, and (maybe someday) Lebrons for a year on an NCAA floor.

That first half by Lauri last night was amazing, that left handed push shot he made from about 7 feet out after drawing contact was nuts. Had a nice left-handed hook very early too. Beautiful touch.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

My best professional friend who is new to march madness (NW grad) was just in awe with LM last night and texted me a ton to tell me about it.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

And he didn't get a 3pt show from Lauri either. Special player.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:My best professional friend who is new to march madness (NW grad) was just in awe with LM last night and texted me a ton to tell me about it.
I loved Lauri's first half. He could get inside at will and he never settled for the three and constantly worked to get easy looks at the rim. That's how I like his game. His 3's will present themselves, but he is working to get the better looks and that's when he is truly dominant.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

^^ the only real time he is going to get anything close to the FGA's he should be taking on a nightly basis.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

I feel like we're going to be feeding him (and Dusan/Chance) in the post a ton to get Londale in foul trouble/tired. With Londale out, I'll bet their inside-out game takes a hit.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

qwertyus wrote:I feel like we're going to be feeding him (and Dusan/Chance) in the post a ton to get Londale in foul trouble/tired. With Londale out, I'll bet their inside-out game takes a hit.
If Landale has him, I like giving Lauri faceups from 17. Landale doesn't strike me as having great lateral quickness, and Lauri has a great up fake to putting the ball on the floor. I could see that move getting Landale reaching.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Switching Lauri on Landale won us this game.

Great 2nd half by Lauri on both ends
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:Switching Lauri on Landale won us this game.

Great 2nd half by Lauri on both ends
Lauri showed what he can do on D tonight. He did a great job on Landale. Of course, he also hit a huge 3 and was good on offense. I'm just glad we have him.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lauri punked him tonight. Didnt slow him down. Punked him.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Lauri's last 10 minutes allowed us to stay away from doubling and giving open 3s. He may have lost some battles but by not giving up and getting some blocks, he allowed us to stick to the plan and not rotate out of sound perimeter D. Great game
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Man, LM's block on Lansdale (with like 5 mins to go) that turned into a terrible Trier jumper early in the shot clock got me so pissed! LM won us that game for sure. No nerves on the FT's.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Buddy saw Lauri out for breakfast this morning, two different groups of people bothered him for pictures within his first few minutes of being seated. Said Lauri look respectfully annoyed. Better get used to it now stud :lol:
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

NBA draft stock watch: Which tourney stars are rising and falling?

Stock up
Lauri Markkanen, PF, Fr., Arizona

After a midseason slump that saw his jump shot take a vacation, Markkanen has been a force for Arizona in March. He dropped 20 points on 8-for-12 shooting against North Dakota, and after a slow start against Saint Mary's made some big plays down the stretch for Arizona on both side of the court, including a big 3 and a block with three minutes left in the game.

Scouts are pretty split on whether he'll be a star in the Dirk Nowitzki mold, or merely a good stretch-4 like Ryan Anderson. Arizona has been asking him to do more in the post and less on the perimeter lately, which has helped his all-around game (scouts were happy to see him grab 11 boards and block a couple of shots against the Gaels). Scouts have him pegged in the Nos. 5-9 range in the draft.
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_ ... nt-edition" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

That stretch when he took it from 58-55 to 63-55. Great.

Hits a three. Blocks a shot. Drives and draws a foul. Hits the FTs. That was ballgame.
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:That stretch when he took it from 58-55 to 63-55. Great.

Hits a three. Blocks a shot. Drives and draws a foul. Hits the FTs. That was ballgame.
I was in Tempe when he decided to start to do this. Me likey.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The emergence of Pinder has helped Lauri stop worrying about picking up fouls.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Chicat wrote:The emergence of Pinder has helped Lauri stop worrying about picking up fouls.
Good point Chi. Boy right about now would be a good-time for Pinder and Simmons to bring some mojo to the line-up.

We'll need both from here on out.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Great thing about this team is that we can play big or we can play small. That and the fact no one else has a player like LM
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

All true but being able to take some fouls and maybe knock down some shots is huge, huge, huge.

We'll need all hands on deck if we are to reach the FF and advance to the championship game. But I'm getting way ahead of myself.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That's some great company there, Kevin Costner's son could really ball too.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Miller on right now. Ticker reads that Arizona has the best NCAA win pct. without a Final Four appearance.

Nice knowing ya The Finnisher. Go be truly great at the next level.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Sad to see the most dynamic and special player Arizona may have ever seen completely wasted away. Matter fact, its fucking depressing. Its infuriating.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Didn't touch the ball...

I feel like we failed this kid
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Main Event wrote:Didn't touch the ball...

Well....Trier did.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

billk78 wrote:
Main Event wrote:Didn't touch the ball...

Well....Trier did.
what a fucking sham...like you don't want to get it inside for a solid two.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

It's like we wasted a college version of Dirk, how do you do that?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I love Lauri, his season will go down as one of my favorites by a Cat, but part of that is on him and it is IMO the one gripe one could have with him - his lack of assertiveness. Its a gift and a curse. Some guys w his skills will scream and practically rip the ball from their teammates. You simply dont find many players of his skill level be cool w not taking a shot for the final 11 minutes of a do or die game.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

rgdeuce wrote:Sad to see the most dynamic and special player Arizona may have ever seen completely wasted away. Matter fact, its fucking depressing. Its infuriating.
You know that's going to get out in recruiting circles.

Fuck, 11min. I knew it was long. It didn't think it was that long. That's criminal. Meanwhile we have trier doing his best NBA jams impression, but not really on fire (except for like 3min with 7 to go).
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

rgdeuce wrote:I love Lauri, his season will go down as one of my favorites by a Cat, but part of that is on him and it is IMO the one gripe one could have with him - his lack of assertiveness. Its a gift and a curse. Some guys w his skills will scream and practically rip the ball from their teammates. You simply dont find many players of his skill level be cool w not taking a shot for the final 11 minutes of a do or die game.
Then that's when coach needs to step in and tell his troops where the ball needs/should go. Instead we have trier clapping like an idiot everytime down the court when the ball is passed to the opposite side of the arc.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Lauri is going to be remembered as our basketball version of Gronk.

He is so good and so unique that his college coach had no idea how to properly use him and he will be an amazing star in the Pros.

No reason he wasn't constantly put in position to score or get fouled last night, yet he barely even touched the ball in the 2nd half. He is a matchup nightmare and he was invisible. I can't wrap my head around that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Please come back for one more year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:I love Lauri, his season will go down as one of my favorites by a Cat, but part of that is on him and it is IMO the one gripe one could have with him - his lack of assertiveness. Its a gift and a curse. Some guys w his skills will scream and practically rip the ball from their teammates. You simply dont find many players of his skill level be cool w not taking a shot for the final 11 minutes of a do or die game.
This. He's still figuring himself out. He obviously was taught to be a team first guy, but he's good enough that he needs a bit of Allonzo in him. He is comfortable fitting in when he can stand out.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If he is going top 10 then he better get that mentality quick. If he doesn't have any alpha dog in him maybe he needs to come back and work on that next year :)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Anyone keeping a scholarship count? Don't think there is room for LM to come back, perhaps Trier too. Simmons is gone of course, but like someone posted a month or so ago, Trier is gone too due to the way the NCAA treated him. Need to make room for that Duke player too if he wants to come here.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Lol if everyone comes back (not gonna happen) we are at a full allotment of 13.

Dusan
PJC
Pinder

Chance
Trier

Lauri
Kobi
Rawle
Dylan

Ayton
Lee
Randolph
Barcello

That's 13. But there are guys coming when others leave. Bowen if kobi and Trier leave. Maverick Rowan will transfer in traditionally like TJ if there's room. Dusan could go to Europe if Lauri comes back. Duval could join the team. Akot could reclassify.

Still a lot to be decided on this roster.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I don't think anyone has been living well enough to see this lineup, but sometimes I dream of:

Ayton
Lauri
Rawle
Trier
PJC (or dare to dream, Duval)

Assuming Ayton is clear, if one of Lauri/Trier is back, we are loaded. Both return and it feels impossible.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PennZona20 wrote:Lol if everyone comes back (not gonna happen) we are at a full allotment of 13.

Dusan
PJC
Pinder

Chance
Trier

Lauri
Kobi
Rawle
Dylan

Ayton
Lee
Randolph
Barcello

That's 13. But there are guys coming when others leave. Bowen if kobi and Trier leave. Maverick Rowan will transfer in traditionally like TJ if there's room. Dusan could go to Europe if Lauri comes back. Duval could join the team. Akot could reclassify.

Great list, thanks for posting.

Talbot Denny needs to go on it though, he is a scholarship player, at least for now. Assuming he doesn't retire like Smith due to injuries.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Merkin wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:Lol if everyone comes back (not gonna happen) we are at a full allotment of 13.

Dusan
PJC
Pinder

Chance
Trier

Lauri
Kobi
Rawle
Dylan

Ayton
Lee
Randolph
Barcello

Great list, thanks for posting.

Talbot Denny needs to go on it though, he is a scholarship player, at least for now. Assuming he doesn't retire like Smith due to injuries.
Talbot was promised one year as a grad transfer. He wasn't promised two. His ship is not guaranteed next year. I'm sure if when Miller is done filling out the roster if there is one left over Denny can have it, but he's certainly not guaranteed it.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I don't think anyone has been living well enough to see this lineup, but sometimes I dream of:

Ayton
Lauri
Rawle
Trier
PJC (or dare to dream, Duval)

Assuming Ayton is clear, if one of Lauri/Trier is back, we are loaded. Both return and it feels impossible.

A lot of posters say we can't win a title or make a final 4 w PJC as the starting PG. I'd argue w that lineup we could, and if not , he'd certainly be the reason.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Last night I nearly posted that the only thing that would cheer me up would be Lauri shocking the world and saying he was coming back. I told myself I was stupid for even entertaining the idea and rolled over to try to fall asleep.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I mean Justin Jackson was a lotto pick after his frosh year and roll thru the tourney. He's currently hitting shots from 35 feet while unc is rolling as a junior. Now granted they give him fake classes at unc w no consequences but why can't we have that???

Duke will have a 5 star Grayson allen likely for 4 years.

Lotto pick Robert Williams is coming back for A&M.

Why can't just this once, Arizona get some good fortune.

I can't see a frontline of ayton and Lauri flaming out early.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Congratulations Lauri!

3rd Team AP All- American
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:I mean Justin Jackson was a lotto pick after his frosh year and roll thru the tourney. He's currently hitting shots from 35 feet while unc is rolling as a junior. Now granted they give him fake classes at unc w no consequences but why can't we have that???

Duke will have a 5 star Grayson allen likely for 4 years.

Lotto pick Robert Williams is coming back for A&M.

Why can't just this once, Arizona get some good fortune.

I can't see a frontline of ayton and Lauri flaming out early.
Because someone did something nefarious sometime after 2001 that has cursed this program. I wouldn't get your hopes up on that luck changing any time soon in regards to this decision.