Tarczewski

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

catgrad97

Re: Tarczewski

Post by catgrad97 »

Unfortunately, he's still getting outrebounded by smaller players and can't buy a two-foot hook on the blocks.

But hopefully he has a better game tomorrow.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

gabe can solely claim the #2 spot on the list if we win out the conf tourney and make a FF run :D
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

catgrad97 wrote:Unfortunately, he's still getting outrebounded by smaller players and can't buy a two-foot hook on the blocks.

You and ASUHATER need to get a room.

Zeus may not have been getting a ton of rebounds but he was either blocking or altering shots all day.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

And continuing to complain after every single whistle or non-call that didn't go his way.

Difference between HATER and me is that I know Zeus doesn't get much respect from this conference's refs, even now.

But for goodness' sake, for such a physical beast on the blocks, you'd think he'd just play through some more of these whistles by now.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I thought Tarc was outstanding for the most part. Had some really tough shots just not fall but he battled well and was really tough defensively, helping and hedging on so many posessions.

Trust me, CU went at him and wanted him gone. He commands so much attention on the glass which allowed RA to have another double double
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Unfortunately, he's still getting outrebounded by smaller players and can't buy a two-foot hook on the blocks.

You and ASUHATER need to get a room.

Zeus may not have been getting a ton of rebounds but he was either blocking or altering shots all day.
He got 11 rebounds. Yeah, Scott got more, but 11 when RA had 11 too is nothing to sneeze at.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

azcat49 wrote:I thought Tarc was outstanding for the most part. Had some really tough shots just not fall but he battled well and was really tough defensively, helping and hedging on so many posessions.

Trust me, CU went at him and wanted him gone. He commands so much attention on the glass which allowed RA to have another double double
agree, and he stayed aggressive and kept at it the entire time. one of things i really like about senior-year kaleb, among many other improvements since last season, is that he doesn't turn into a total headcase when things don't go his way on the offensive end or with the officials. zeus can be his own worst enemy, and we've seen his frustration get the best of him in the past. he moves past that now and continues to contribute off of the statline, which i love.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Posted this over in the Bird scores thread:

Zeus' play last night encapsulated his entire career. He has a huge problem getting the ball through the rim. Dunk off the back of the rim? Check. Layup bouncing around on the rim and then off? Check, check, check. Travelling call deep in the post? Check. Mishandling post feeds? Check, check.

But even with all the scoring woes, he affects the game in such a positive way. His defense on Scott was really excellent. He gobbled up every rebound in the first half, it seemd. Brilliant touch pass out of the post to PJC for a three at a crucial point in the game. Incredible outlet pass which led to an and one. The way he was hedging on screens and recovering was amazing for someone so big.

I can't find any advanced stats on the game posted yet, but I have a suspicion that when I do I'll find that his +/- was really good. Seemed like every time he went out, CU had a bit of a run. It just amazes me that someone who is so offensively challenged can affect the game so much.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Nothing much that needs to be added to what has already been said. Sometimes it's just not your night offensively. A lot of players check out on 1-9 nights, but he still does his job and he does it well.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Last edited by Jefe on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i love Tarc
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

We should find a way to get him a 5th year. We will miss him next year.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 0dbaf.html" target="_blank
Kaleb Tarczewski and UA's other three departing seniors are not among the 77 invitees and alternates for next week's Chicago NBA combine, according to a list compiled by ESPN's Jeff Goodman.

The NBA's official list is expected to be released later this week.

While Tarczewski appeared the most likely to be invited, sitting out the Portsmouth Invitational, new rules allowing underclassmen to test the waters may be working against him.

According to Goodman's list, 13 of the invited players and five alternates are testing the draft and can still return to school because they have not signed with agents. A year ago, those players would have had to make a permanent choice by now and some may have opted to stay in school, taking themselves out of the combine candidate pool.

Goodman, who individually confirmed the vast majority of the names, said he thought the "testing" players hurt Tarczewski's chances of being invited.

In any case, though, Jonathan Givony, president of Draft Express, does not have Tarczewski listed on his 2016 mock draft and said via text he hasn't thought for a logn time that Tarczewski would be drafted. Givony said last year Tarczewski had a chance to get drafted if he had entered at that point.

Ryan Anderson also appeared to help his case by playing well at Portsmouth, but the NBA sometimes decides not to invite those players because it has seen them there already.

The UA seniors will likely get invited to some team workouts, where they can make a case for themselves there, or possibly get on an NBA summer-league team. But this could be the first NBA draft since 2012 that Arizona doesn't have a representative in.

It's also worth noting on Goodman's list that Oregon's Tyler Dorsey isn't on it. If he's also off the NBA's official list, that's a pretty good sign he will be returning to the Ducks. Dillon Brooks, meanwhile, is listed as an alternate.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Zeus had a much better year this year. Really played with a passion. Cats are really going to miss his presence next year.

On Anderson, does anyone from playing in Portsmouth ever get drafted?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

2015 - Pat Connaughton

2014 - none

2013 - Devin Booker, Ian Clark
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

8 days until the Draft, nowhere to be found on anyones mock list :oops:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/kaleb-tarczew ... t-prospect" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Recently had workouts with the Clippers and Lakers.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hell YEah!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Love Zeus. He's a huge loss for next years team. Glad he's getting a shot.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Great news.....Good luck Zeus....we will definitely miss you next year!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Chicat wrote:
I would've drafted ZUES or Zimmerman just saying
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Any word on York or Anderson
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Zeus can make it in the NBA. His size and athleticism will carry him far, and he's become a much better defensive player. I hope he has a nice long pro career.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Beachcat97 wrote:Zeus can make it in the NBA. His size and athleticism will carry him far, and he's become a much better defensive player. I hope he has a nice long pro career.
Agree. No reason he couldn't follow the Steven Adams blueprint by playing stingy defense and making dunks. It'll be more mental for Tarc, especially in the early going. Hopefully he toughs it out and keeps working hard to carve out a career.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Olsondogg wrote:Love Zeus. He's a huge loss for next years team. Glad he's getting a shot.

He'll definitely be the biggest loss. He just ran the floor so well, and like CSM said, he was always in the correct spot. That 5% body fat was very impressive too. Ristic just doesn't run that well, is often out of position, and seems flabby by comparison. Hopefully Ristic has toned up, and Comanche put some muscle weight on.

Of course if Ristic regains his shooting touch some of that will be offset.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Kaleb Tarczewski has signed a remainder of the season contract with Olimpia Milano of the Italian League. He is already listed as the starting Center on their roster. Milano is a very storied team in Italy - sort of like the Boston Celtics here. It would not be a bit surprising if Joseph Blair was instrumental in this deal. He is known to be very good friends with the owner - Georgio Armani.

All in all it is a very good gig for Zeus. Congratulations.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

KaibabKat wrote:Kaleb Tarczewski has signed a remainder of the season contract with Olimpia Milano of the Italian League. He is already listed as the starting Center on their roster. Milano is a very storied team in Italy - sort of like the Boston Celtics here. It would not be a bit surprising if Joseph Blair was instrumental in this deal. He is known to be very good friends with the owner - Georgio Armani.

I can't help but think if he was born 10-20 years sooner, his athleticism and style of play would have gotten him on almost every NBA roster. I guess the nature of the game has changed too much.
Bangkok Wildcat

KaibabKat wrote:Kaleb Tarczewski has signed a remainder of the season contract with Olimpia Milano of the Italian League. He is already listed as the starting Center on their roster. Milano is a very storied team in Italy - sort of like the Boston Celtics here. It would not be a bit surprising if Joseph Blair was instrumental in this deal. He is known to be very good friends with the owner - Georgio Armani.

Thanks KK....I love Zeus and hope he does well.....too bad his hands aren't better or else I think he'd have an NBA career. In any case, I am so grateful that we had him for 4 years and really enjoyed his tenure here. Bear Down Zeus!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

From Oklahoma City to Milan? I would say that's quite an improvement. Some ex-Cats have played in some pretty miserable places.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Milan is actually a surprisingly industrial city. But I'd take anywhere in Italy over Oklahoma.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I hope he gets a few nice suits out of the deal.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:Milan is actually a surprisingly industrial city. But I'd take anywhere in Italy over Oklahoma.
I spent 6 months is SW OK around 1980. Never been in a more miserable place.

Have spoken to people who lived on the eastern green side, which say that is much nicer.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Ran into him after he hit four late free throws to win a NBA D-League game in late December up in Prescott. Talked a little smack about the Pac-12 refs in the league.

I can see why he'd want some Europe money and connections, because he wasn't going to crack the rotation in OKC. Pretty sure he has a young wife and kid in tow. A huge beast of a man otherwise, but we did a "Bear Down" and a handshake before he left, and the dude's hands are seriously no bigger than mine.

Best of luck to Zeus cracking an NBA team's rotation somewhere.
Bangkok Wildcat

catgrad97 wrote:Ran into him after he hit four late free throws to win a NBA D-League game in late December up in Prescott. Talked a little smack about the Pac-12 refs in the league.

I can see why he'd want some Europe money and connections, because he wasn't going to crack the rotation in OKC. Pretty sure he has a young wife and kid in tow. A huge beast of a man otherwise, but we did a "Bear Down" and a handshake before he left, and the dude's hands are seriously no bigger than mine.

Cool story catgrad97....did you get a pic too? Would love to run into Zeus or just about any Wildcat.....These days, I feel a lot more love / kinship to those who stayed 3-4 years...I don't resent those who are lottery picks / first rounders for leaving early BUT it's just natural for a fan to feel closer to a player they get to watch longer.

College Hoops >>>>>>>> NBA IMHO.....Hell, the only reason I will even pay slight attention to the NBA is to follow Wildcat alumni.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Chicat wrote:Milan is actually a surprisingly industrial city. But I'd take anywhere in Italy over Oklahoma.
Great for skiing though. Not that that's likely a benefit from Tarc's point of view.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:Ran into him after he hit four late free throws to win a NBA D-League game in late December up in Prescott. Talked a little smack about the Pac-12 refs in the league.

I never thought OKC was a good place for him. Adams and Sabonis are both 7 footers who get time as true centers. Not many teams carry three 7 foot true centers.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Congrats to him. His chances in the NBA have far from expired, you never know what team could lose a couple of big men to injury and need an emergency replacement to come off the bench.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... lju01.html" target="_blank

^^ This guy is getting $3 mil per season now to play with our buddy Rondae after being waived and having to spend some time in Europe.