2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by ASUHATER! »

NYCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:We've got to break through this season. We have the perfect combination of experience and talent. Easily the best team in the Miller era.
Agree, we might even make it to overtime in the Elite eight before we lose
If I have to sit through another elite 8 loss....

I'm so sick of the elite 8. I've been a fan since 2002. Which means I've never seen a final 4. I've seen elite 8 losses in 2003, 2005, 2011, 2014, 2015 and sweet 16 losses in 2009, 2013 and 2017. No moreeeeee.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

NYCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:We've got to break through this season. We have the perfect combination of experience and talent. Easily the best team in the Miller era.
The loss to UConn in 2011 was on Miller, but Wisconsin was just ridiculous in the tourney in '15. Dekker had the game of his life against us. We were robbed of a NC in '14 with Ashley's injury. As long as Ayton doesn't go down, we should be favored against the likes of Duke and MSU. NC or bust.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

YoDeFoe wrote:Wildly efficient game.

Stats.

65% shooting in back to back games.

Leading scorers Trier (21), Ayton (20), and PJC (14) - 55 points on 22 FGAs.
The efficient is amazing, and not just in the stats but watching it live as well.

I mean you think about a game where each side has let's say 60 possessions; it's tough for me to imagine many teams being real close to us efficiency wise over those 60 or so possessions, much less more efficient.

So...I guess I'm predicting us to go 40-0.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

TatetheGreat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
The loss to UConn in 2011 was on Miller, but Wisconsin was just ridiculous in the tourney in '15. Dekker had the game of his life against us. We were robbed of a NC in '14 with Ashley's injury. As long as Ayton doesn't go down, we should be favored against the likes of Duke and MSU. NC or bust.

Jamelle Horne's three being an inch or two too long at the buzzer, after DWill took a bad shot and we got the rebound, was Sean Miller's fault?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
NYCat wrote:

Jamelle Horne's three being an inch or two too long at the buzzer, after DWill took a bad shot and we got the rebound, was Sean Miller's fault?
DWill was getting to the bucket with ease, yet we started launching threes in the second half. I have to believe coaching had something to do with that.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

No, DWill's two early fouls had everything to do with that.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

TatetheGreat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
NYCat wrote:

DWill was getting to the bucket with ease, yet we started launching threes in the second half. I have to believe coaching had something to do with that.
Williams was in foul trouble the whole game. When he was on the floor, Arizona handily outscored UCONN. The shots that were falling vs. Duke in the Sweet 16 weren't going down vs. UCONN.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

catgrad97 wrote:No, DWill's two early fouls had everything to do with that.
It's been a while, but I remember him taking a lot of threes even though they weren't falling. Looking at the box score, he was 1-6 from three, but 9-12 on FTs. Okwandu and Oriakhi both had four fouls while he had three. If Miller told him to shoot instead of drive to the basket, I stand by my initial statement.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

We can agree to disagree, BTW. I have faith in Miller and think he will bring us a 'ship. I can't wait 'til Friday. Bear Down
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So Rise and Fire won and we're finally going to play zone?
gumby

Post by gumby »

TatetheGreat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:No, DWill's two early fouls had everything to do with that.
It's been a while, but I remember him taking a lot of threes even though they weren't falling. Looking at the box score, he was 1-6 from three, but 9-12 on FTs. Okwandu and Oriakhi both had four fouls while he had three. If Miller told him to shoot instead of drive to the basket, I stand by my initial statement.
If?

Since you've already declared him at fault, then he must've told DW to stop going inside. Have a hard time imagining that ... with any coach.

"You really need to stop going inside. You're going to foul out their players. So float and jack!"

We were the underdog -- a 5 seed. Squeak by with Memphis. Lucked out with a five-second call with Texas. And we took the eventual national champs to the wire while our best player struggled. Duke was the outlier, not the norm.

Getting to the Elite Eight was a great accomplishment, not an expectation. Doesn't compare at all to 1998, 2003, 2005 and the Wisky games.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

As for Chico State game, damn. That was cold-blooded. Competition is going to be fierce between Akot and Randolph. Comparisons to Iggy last night, but he kinda reminds me of Kawhi Leonard, who was a strong, long-armed, defensive-minded terror in college. Wasn't the offensive player he is now. In fact, Akot might be better offensively at this stage.

Three players out at the 2-spot, and the team doesn't miss a beat.

Ayton's passing is another reason I think the Wilt comparison is apt. Impressive. Also, he's now 19-25 from the field and 13-14 from the line. Better get in the gym and shore that up!

Parker and Trier. Best combo in the conference. Loved that shiny dime Trier dropped on Pinder for the jam.

Freshmen often struggle from distance at the outset. So not sweating the misses by Barcello and Randolph.

Lee has a nice stroke.
Last edited by gumby on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:As for Chico State game, damn. That was cold-blooded. Competition is going to be fierce between Akot and Randolph. Comparisons to Iggy last night, but he kinda reminds me of Kawhi Leonard, who was a strong, long-armed, defensive-minded terror in college. Wasn't the offensive player he is now. In fact, Akot might be better offensively at this stage.

Three players out at the 2-spot, and the team doesn't miss a beat.

Ayton's passing is another reason I think the Wilt comparison is apt. Impressive. Also, he's now 19-25 from the field and 13-14 from the line. Better get in the gym and shore that up!

Parker and Trier. Best combo in the conference. Loved that shiny dime Trier dropped on Pinder for the jam.

Freshmae often struggle from distance at the outset. So not sweating the misses by Barcello and Randolph.

Lee has a nice stroke.
On the wing, we have two guys who would be starters and stars on every team in the nation and two freshmen who would play for every team in the nation, start for most and have huge upsides. We are comically loaded on the wing.

I really like what Lee brings. You never have to run a play for him, and he converts when he gets a chance. Plays hard, seems to have a great attitude.

What more can we say about Ayton? Maybe that Tom Cruise's Few Good Men character wants him?

So much potential, and we're playing shorthanded.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

1. Doncic
2. Porter
3. Bagley
4. Ayton
5. Bamba

24. Akot
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Every time I see one of these lists I have to wrap my mind around the possibility Ayton might be the fourth best player in this draft.

Teams should be finding ways to get those draft picks or even multiple of those draft picks if in any way possible.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote: 1. Doncic
2. Porter
3. Bagley
4. Ayton
5. Bamba

24. Akot
I can live with Bagley over Ayton. I am not sold on Porter as a difference maker as a pro. Doncic is a high floor, lower upside guy.

The "motor" thing gets recycled so often with Ayton. For his sake and ours, I hope he blows it out of the water this year. If/when he does, it's obvious who has the most talent and upside.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Ayton is pretty clearly the best player freshman in the NCAAs to me.

Porter Jr and Bagley are both 6'10" guys with 7'0" wingspans that can play on the perimeter. Ayton is three inches taller and six inches longer than both and he's got plenty of perimeter skills.

Bamba is the other guy in this draft that has insane measurables with an even longer winspan than Ayton.

I know "lol Jay Bilas called and wants his favorite word back" but length matters in basketball. Matters a lot in the NBA when 6'5" is an undersized guard and 6'8" is a small ball PF.

Ayton and Bamba are the only guys with "holy shit" measurables.

Also if you saw Bagley's Duke play so far: he doesn't look like a guy who doesn't know how to play on a team of talented players. Which reminds me that his Dad coached his AAU team and surrounded him with mediocre players. We'll see how he grows this year but he' played bad AAU ball wrapped in a Duke jersey in the film I watched.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Ayton is pretty clearly the best player freshman in the NCAAs to me.

Porter Jr and Bagley are both 6'10" guys with 7'0" wingspans that can play on the perimeter. Ayton is three inches taller and six inches longer than both and he's got plenty of perimeter skills.

Bamba is the other guy in this draft that has insane measurables with an even longer winspan than Ayton.

I know "lol Jay Bilas called and wants his favorite word back" but length matters in basketball. Matters a lot in the NBA when 6'5" is an undersized guard and 6'8" is a small ball PF.

Ayton and Bamba are the only guys with "holy shit" measurables.

Also if you saw Bagley's Duke play so far: he doesn't look like a guy who doesn't know how to play on a team of talented players. Which reminds me that his Dad coached his AAU team and surrounded him with mediocre players. We'll see how he grows this year but he' played bad AAU ball wrapped in a Duke jersey in the film I watched.
My thing with Porter is that when I watch him, he struggles to create space for such a tall, athletic kid. That's my concern, that he's really tall and a great leaper, but winds up taking a whole lot of contested shots. Now, he is a shooter and hits a lot of them, but still, when you're talking the elite of elite, it gets nitpicky.

Bamba is a ridiculous shot blocker, but his offensive game is still raw. Doncic is the most polished, but does not have a crazy athletic ceiling like the other top five.

This is a loaded draft, though. It's been some really strong years for the draft.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Are those unis supposed to be some sort of nod to military? If so, they look more like a nod to Liberace. And, yes, there is something wrong with that.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Catintheheat wrote:What I like is the depth. Randolph and Alkins out and they still look impressive.
And Smith.

A lot of PJC and Barcello together last night. They worked well together but I doubt we see that once Smith and Randolph are back
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Lakers oughta trade up for Ayton.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Beachcat97 wrote:Lakers oughta trade up for Ayton.
Everyone should try to trade up for Ayton.

If Ayton is really the 4th best player in the class, there are probably a grip of teams that might be doing themselves a favor trading their entire roster for two picks in the top four of this draft.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I havent seen Bagley and Porter live, but Im still trying to wrap my head around how there are three better pro prospects than Ayton. If this draft has three other once in a generation players, then cool. A true 7 footer, 7'5 wingspan, 43.5 inch vertical, can face up and play w his back to the basket, runs the floor like a gazelle, shooting range out at least to the college 3 already, excellent rebounder, excellent passer and vision for his position, excellent foul shooter, seems to have a great feel for the game and high IQ, can handle the ball, he has defended well so far and the defensive potential is through the roof.... just about the only thing I havent seen so far is high level shot blocking. But who cares. His talent translates into the current NBA and any generations past.

Anyone who has ever played the NBA 2K or NBA Live series and played around with the create a player feature knows what I am talking about here: its like creating a 7 footer and putting all his attributes at 99. We are witnessing what the 2017 rookie class is doing in the NBA, its been played up as a historic class and all that. This kid could go in the league right now and outperform all of them and at worst, be at Ben Simmons level, somone who is two years older than him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:Are those unis supposed to be some sort of nod to military? If so, they look more like a nod to Liberace. And, yes, there is something wrong with that.
In fairness, as much as the gold sucks, it doesn't have gradient. So, you win and lose a bit. It always reminds me of this:

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

"copper"

"Desert ops"

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Great pics.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Safe to say some of those were the easiest buckets Pinder got in his life lol. Several great passes. Great passing team
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Safe to say some of those were the easiest buckets Pinder got in his life lol. Several great passes. Great passing team
Very curious to see if that's the last we see of Pinder play this season. The plan going into the season was redshirt, I'm not sure if that's changed or not.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Safe to say some of those were the easiest buckets Pinder got in his life lol. Several great passes. Great passing team
Very curious to see if that's the last we see of Pinder play this season. The plan going into the season was redshirt, I'm not sure if that's changed or not.
He's going to get buried on this roster. Much prefer Lee, Akot, or Rawle at the four than Pinder.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
He's going to get buried on this roster. Much prefer Lee, Akot, or Rawle at the four than Pinder.
Yep, once Smith & Randolph return his minutes would be low single digits at best. Once Rawle returns it would be 0.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pinder is a decent player, and I could see him getting some time at the 4 next season. He, Lee, and Shareef competing for that spot next year. Is Jeter expected to be our starting 5?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Rawle is 6'4, let Lee, Pinder & Akot battle it out at the 4
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Pinder is a decent player, and I could see him getting some time at the 4 next season. He, Lee, and Shareef competing for that spot next year. Is Jeter expected to be our starting 5?
I have difficulty seeing this. I've never fully understood the idea of Keanu redshirting. He is a 5-10 minute player max regardless of the lineup around him. If Shareef isn't ready, I'd still rather have Shareef out there for 20 MPG.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

If anything it’s more important by he redshirts for next year as the potential 2018 class of Shittu , Bol , Little etc will likely be replaced by JUCOs and senior transfers. The opportunity will be there next year for Pinder to have a vital role.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
If anything it’s more important by he redshirts for next year as the potential 2018 class of Shittu , Bol , Little etc will likely be replaced by JUCOs and senior transfers. The opportunity will be there next year for Pinder to have a vital role.
Call me a hater, but if Pinder plays a vital role, it will be a long season.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

“Relatively vital” is what I meant. Like 10-12 minutes per game.

His post competition will be Lee, ONeal, and maybe Akot.

It would and should have been those 3 + Bol, Shittu, And Little.

Man that was depressing to write. Fuck you Book!!!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:“Relatively vital” is what I meant. Like 10-12 minutes per game.

Jeter, 30 MPG. Lee, 20 MPG. O'Neal, 20 MPG. Akot, 10 MPG. Those are all better options than any Keanu, IMO.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:“Relatively vital” is what I meant. Like 10-12 minutes per game.

Jeter, 30 MPG. Lee, 20 MPG. O'Neal, 20 MPG. Akot, 10 MPG. Those are all better options than any Keanu, IMO.
Jeter? Who's playing the 5 if Jeter is at the 4?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Jeter plays the 5. I listed 80 MPG, which is 4 and 5 combined.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Pinder was/is/will always be a situational role player. If Lee had Pnder's lateral quickness, Pinder wouldnt see the floor this year.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So it sounds like our 5 depth is a little questionable for next year at the moment.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Rawle is 6'4, let Lee, Pinder & Akot battle it out at the 4
Rawle would take minutes away from Akot at the 3, which would push him more to the 4, that's how Rawle would impact Pinder.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:So it sounds like our 5 depth is a little questionable for next year at the moment.
Duh.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

NYCat wrote: Image
I know that guitar players have "solo faces" and I suspect they practice them in a mirror.

This is the first I've noticed that basketball players might have "dunk faces". Do they practice in a mirror too?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Jeter plays the 5. I listed 80 MPG, which is 4 and 5 combined.
80mpg! Wow! Team him with Leaf, and you'd never run out of gas.

P.S. Just noticed Ayton is No. 13, like Wilt!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:So it sounds like our 5 depth is a little questionable for next year at the moment.
Everything next year is questionable. That starting lineup against Chico? All five could be gone. Plus, the guy with a concussion. For sure, PJC, Trier, Ristic, Ayton. Best-case: Akot and Randolph return. Best-case hasn't occurred much lately.

Brave new world. Better win now.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Pinder needs to rebound the damn basketball - no reason why someone of his athleticism and size shouldn't record a single rebound against a much smaller, less physical team.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

"I don't see anybody redshirting." - Miller

Ok well that's that.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

ChooChooCat wrote:"I don't see anybody redshirting." - Miller

Ok well that's that.
I would agree.

I do see Pinder as having a role on this team - but it is up to him if he wants to fill that; by playing defense and rebounding the damn basketball.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:"I don't see anybody redshirting." - Miller

Ok well that's that.
Good. It’s nice to have depth but I’d rather see Lee + O’Neal + Jeter + recruit-to-be-name take immediate post minutes and develop rather than half ass our way through the season with Pinder next year.