Former Cats in the NBA

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAdevil

Re: Former Cats in the NBA

Post by UAdevil »

YoDeFoe wrote:
UAdevil wrote:Soon no more Lute era players in the L... :-( Time's a bitch.
Iggy and Frye still in the league.

Hence the 'soon'. 8-)
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

i stupd
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Trier is fucking COOKING in these preseason games. Looks even more dangerous with the added spacing of the NBA game.

He's got 20 in the first half of today's game.
prh

Post by prh »

YoDeFoe wrote:Trier is fucking COOKING in these preseason games. Looks even more dangerous with the added spacing of the NBA game.

Who's a more under appreciated Wildcat, Zo or Foggy? I think I know your answer
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

prh wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Trier is fucking COOKING in these preseason games. Looks even more dangerous with the added spacing of the NBA game.

You 100% know my answer haha - but it was Foggy before Trier. Fogg was a fan favorite for a hard to love team, getting love now for his Overseas Elite wins. Trier will get buckets in the NBA and hopefully some retroactive love as well - that PED shit just really fucked him.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Bayless into the Ring of Honor after clearing the "10yrs in the NBA" hurdle.
Enjoyed watching Bayless play since it was during my time as a student. Was a frustrating year but it always seemed like he just wanted to win.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:

Fogg overachieved more than any other Wildcat ever. Zo was good in some of the more disappointing Arizona years, and left a lot of people wanting more.

It depends on how you weigh that. Zo was better than his rep, but he had flaws and when you're the team leader and the team disappoints...
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Trier is going to turn his $50k two way into a $1.5m contract with this shit. Incredible. Hope he keeps it up.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Still no update on Miles.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Pneumonia
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I would give a minor organ if it helped Nick Johnson get PT with the Spurs.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Matt Brase is now an assistant coach with the Houston Rockets. Just got promoted from the G League.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Youngsters...

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Steve's shot mechanics haven't changed in 30+ years. Taught me at age 9
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Jefe wrote:Steve's shot mechanics haven't changed in 30+ years. Taught me at age 9
Taking it easy on his back though.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Bulls fan must be glad they have Lauri and not Butler anymore. Butler is sounding like a royal pain in the ass
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:Bulls fan must be glad they have Lauri and not Butler anymore. Butler is sounding like a royal pain in the ass
I don't know. Butler plays really hard and tough and Towns and Wiggins are both soft and lack elite work ethic.
I know the Bulls thought Butler might cause issues, but it would be nice to see Butler in a competent organization with a legit leadership structure.

The Bulls won just by getting a young star in place of a guy pushing 30, plus LaVine. That's the biggest thing, Butler would have been exiting his prime by the time the Bulls filled out their roster. Lauri will just be entering his.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

https://nypost.com/2018/09/27/knicks-lo ... er-chance/" target="_blank

Knicks’ long shot has one LeBron quality giving him roster chance
Knicks coach David Fizdale said rookie shooting guard Allonzo Trier is on the radar for making the 15-man roster — and even cited LeBron James’ rare knack for chase-down blocks
“Maybe, maybe,” Fizdale said of Trier’s chances of making the team. “He’s good, man. He’s a good player.”

The coaching staff has credited Trier for six chase-down blocks since summer-league practices started and through the first three training-camp sessions.

Trier said he had one classic chase-down block on Kadeem Allen on Wednesday.

“That’s just one of those deals when most guys won’t make that effort when they’re 10, 15 feet behind a guy,” Fizdale said. “But this kid, he just runs guys down, and at the square [of the backboard], he’s just pinning that thing against the glass. So it’s just very few players that have a knack for that, and he’s one of them.”

If Trier is to make it and sign a regular minimum deal ($838,000), third-year guard Ron Baker would be a likely candidate as odd man out.

“I don’t want to put a cap on him,’’ Fizdale said of the 22-year-old Trier. “The LeBron block. You just don’t see that that often that a guy can run somebody down and meet him at the apex and block it. That’s a real gift right there. I don’t want to say G-League with him or he’s up with us. I just want to see what happens with him because he’s a talented kid.”

“When I started watching film on him, I could see why some people might have passed on him because in college there was no space for him to really move around,’’ Fizdale said. “You can really pack it in in college. But all of a sudden with the floor spread, his game has opened up. Scott Perry saw that in him.”

Knicks rookie forward Kevin Knox was well aware of Trier’s marksmanship at Arizona.

“Allonzo has been playing really well lately, getting to the basket, making 3s off pick-and-rolls,’’ Knox said. “I think he has a really good shot at making the team, making the roster. Just got to keep playing with intensity, defensively getting better, offensively just being able to make the right reads.’’
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Trier making the NBA by beating Kadeem Allen with a defensive play would be some really "I did not see that happening" shit.
prh

Post by prh »

YoDeFoe wrote:Trier making the NBA by beating Kadeem Allen with a defensive play would be some really "I did not see that happening" shit.
Yeah I had trouble even reading past that lol
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Trier making the NBA by beating Kadeem Allen with a defensive play would be some really "I did not see that happening" shit.
:lol:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The NBA will miss him. Someone get him a TV gig.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

The 76ers had Simmons, Fultz and TJ playing together in the 1Q last night. TJ never brought the ball down and basically sat in the corner. When he did run point the offense flowed and he was the only PG with 0 turnovers. Fultz barely ran point all game. TJ somehow got 22 mins and he's again their best option at point. They just need to knock down shots and get him his 10 assists. He makes an immediate impact almost every play and he's hounding in the in-bounds pass every time

Also the Suns just try to steal TJ for a 2nd round pick and fans on twitter are saying TJ is better than Fultz lol. Free Agent next Summer and plenty of teams will be calling
Last edited by Jefe on Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Th suns offered a 2nd for a guy who could make them a totally different team? Fits with Mr. Cheap, Sarver. Not sure why anyone would want to play for the suns other than to have a chance to play with a player like Ayton.

Never thought Fultz was a PG and doesn't Simmons like the ball in his hands as well?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Would enjoy TJ to Ayton lobs.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
prh

Post by prh »

azcat49 wrote:Never thought Fultz was a PG and doesn't Simmons like the ball in his hands as well
They are both PGs and they are both not PGs. NBA is moving to a spacing, 3 point shooting league, and the Sixers are pinning their hopes on PGs who can’t shoot at all and don’t really handle the ball well.

I’ve said before that they have failed at roster construction and I’ll stick by that. They would be better off if they had dumped Simmons and Fultz to get Kawhi and a 2 guard who can shoot and play defense.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

5-26 3s last night. Fultz and Simmons were both 0-0. Embiid could have missed 3 more but instead he turned the ball over on what should have been simple entry passes to the post
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

prh wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Never thought Fultz was a PG and doesn't Simmons like the ball in his hands as well
They are both PGs and they are both not PGs. NBA is moving to a spacing, 3 point shooting league, and the Sixers are pinning their hopes on PGs who can’t shoot at all and don’t really handle the ball well.

I’ve said before that they have failed at roster construction and I’ll stick by that. They would be better off if they had dumped Simmons and Fultz to get Kawhi and a 2 guard who can shoot and play defense.
In every interview to Oz papers (and there were a lot, they are slobbering all over him) Simmons referred to himself as a point guard.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Trier is a bucket getter.
prh

Post by prh »

RichardCranium wrote:
prh wrote:

In every interview to Oz papers (and there were a lot, they are slobbering all over him) Simmons referred to himself as a point guard.
Yeah what I really meant but didn't explain is they both think they are point guards, but they both are square pegs trying to fit in round holes. They both "play" PG, but it's clear they aren't really what we look for in a point guard.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

NYCat wrote:
The NBA game suits him.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

AG with 26 & 16.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We've got quite a group of former Cats in the NBA at the moment.

TJM
AG
RHJ
SJ
AI
JB
LM
DA
AT

I may've left out a couple guys. What's Rawle's status? Any Nick Johnson sightings lately? Gabe York?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CF
SH
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Only 3 schools have more active players: UK, Duke and UCLA.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Ayton and Trier balled out in their 1st games.

Trier - 15 points - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H87QK4pnQj8" target="_blank
Ayton - 18,10, 6 assists - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Rj0rgxoss" target="_blank

Also, Fizdale (Knicks HC) said Allonzo is amazing getting chasedown blocks. I wouldn't have guessed that lol. He did get one in this game.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I always root for ex-Cats. I'm glad to see Trier made a roster and is getting a real shot.

I hope Ayton reps Arizona, because he's a monster and will be a dominant player for a long time.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

84Cat wrote:CF
SH
Ok, who are CF and SH?

Did kobi make a team?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Channing Frye and Solomon Hill
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

DrWildcat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
The NBA game suits him.
What is it about the nba game that works for him that the college game didn’t?

I don’t know enough to say one way or the other which is why I’m asking. I know o was hard on tried when he was here mainleg cause we could all see his potential, and it’s good to see that his potential might be finally paying off on the big stage.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Was at the Suns game last night. It was amazing to see the crowd. The crowd hasnt been that good since the 2010 Western Conference Finals vs the Lakers

Ayton looked really good. Some will say he didnt play good defense. Those people you can ignore because they dont know the game at all. Ayton played really good defense when he was one on one with his man and did good at rotating when needed. However many times Ayton got stuck in the paint being the only Suns defender with multiple Mavericks in the pain. Blocked and altered many shots. Got good rebounds. And he has the offensive game. He maynot feel as comfortable going up strong yet until he builds a little more muscle but he had the touch from outside the paint
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
The NBA game suits him.
What is it about the nba game that works for him that the college game didn’t?

I don’t know enough to say one way or the other which is why I’m asking. I know o was hard on tried when he was here mainleg cause we could all see his potential, and it’s good to see that his potential might be finally paying off on the big stage.
I was mainly referring to increased spacing. Trier excels when he can attack the rim and more space makes it easier for him to do that.

I think he was definitely underappreciated at Arizona (myself included) but I also think some of it was related to the overall team performance while he was here.