10 Predictions for 2014-15

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

10 Predictions for 2014-15

Post by Beachcat97 »

1. Ashley and TJ will be All-Pac
2. We're going to see at least three different starting lineups before Pac play begins
3. Miller will get his first FF
4. Another Pac 12 title
5. We're going to lose at least one OOC game
6. Undefeated at home
7. Stanley Johnson will be very, very good, but he won't make quite the impact that AG did
8. Pitts will get more PT than York
9. PJC will remind people of Nic Wise
10. Kadeem Allen will be a key 6th or 7th man
HiCat

Re: 10 Predictions for 2014-15

Post by HiCat »

1, 3, 4 yes.

7 will be equal to or better.
Last edited by HiCat on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Beachcat97 wrote:5. We're going to lose at least one OOC game
6. Undefeated at home
I think losing to Michigan or Gonzaga is much more likely than losing at Maui or UTEP/UNLV. Though I think we'll be able to run the table in OOC again.
Beachcat97 wrote:8. Pitts will get more PT than York
I can't see this happening at all. Miller has been way too high on York lately.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

In baseball, 0.300 - 0.400 success rate is terrific for a hitter, but not so good for a pitcher.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:1. Ashley and TJ will be All-Pac
2. We're going to see at least three different starting lineups before Pac play begins
3. Miller will get his first FF
4. Another Pac 12 title
5. We're going to lose at least one OOC game
6. Undefeated at home
7. Stanley Johnson will be very, very good, but he won't make quite the impact that AG did
8. Pitts will get more PT than York
9. PJC will remind people of Nic Wise
10. Kadeem Allen will be a key 6th or 7th man
No on 2 (barring injury) No on 8.

No. 9. Which Wise? If the frosh version, he'll only see garbage time. And won't do well there either.
Right where I want to be.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

1. Arizona goes undefeated OOC
2. Arizona goes undefeated at home
3. Arizona loses two laughable Pac 12 road games against inferior scrubs (Oregon State/ASU/Stanford variety)
4. Ristic shows more but plays less than Tarc because SM is married to the rotation
5. Brandon Ashley looks awful early in the season and doesn't become himself until February.
6. Arizona wins the Pac 12 with ease but loses in Vegas again
7. Stanley Johnson, RHJ and TJM are first team all Pac 12. RHJ is POY, SJ is FOY
8. Arizona comes out of the West as the No. 1 seed, beating SDSU again in the S16 on the way. Defeats random B1G school in EE.
9. Arizona wins the Natty
10. SM turns down NBA offers to stay at UofA
cats101

Post by cats101 »

My "fearless" predictions

Stanley Johnson leads the team in PPG and finishes top 3 in RPG
Arizona loses 2 games all year
Undefeated at home
Regular season and tournament champions
Riots on Uni/4th Ave
Tarc stays for his Senior season
Ivan Rabb becomes a Wildcat
Undefeated OOC season
One of the original starters loses their starting position
Sean Miller turns down several offers.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Stanley Johnson eats the training table
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ZonaCat either loves him some Ristic, hates Zues...or both.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Brandon,Stanley (FOY),Rondae make 1st team all Pac, TJ gets snubbed
Undefeated in OCC
Undefeated at home
We lose our 1st game @UW via some ref BS, OP then questions if Miller is the guy for the job
We finally win the Pac 12 tournament defeating UCLA in the process, OP then hops back on the Miller wagon
Victor gets more PT than expected, Allen hardly any
Arizona defeats Duke for it's 2nd natty
Stanley goes top 4 in the draft, Rondae lotto, Brandon 20-25 range, Kaleb top 5 in the 2nd round.
Rabb commits giving us the best Arizona class of all time on paper
ASU still sucks
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's nice to get a sense of everyone's expectations, relative to my own.

We have an incredible opportunity this year, provided everyone stays healthy.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Arizona goes 32-2, dropping one OOC and one in conference
Arizona wins the PAC-12 Tournament Title
Arizona wins the PAC-12 Regular Season Title
TJ, Stanley, Kaleb and RHJ get on the ten man first team PAC-12
Stanley FOY
RHJ DOY
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Machina POY
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I'll be a little more unique with mine.

Miller utilizes multiple starting lineups throughout the season, giving us plenty of depth in March.
ESPN Gameday finally comes back to Tucson.
Michigan and Gonzaga are hard fought nationally televised wins, giving some fans the feeling of us being unbeatable.
We lose to some Pac team we shouldn't on the road, everyone has a temporary meltdown.
The media talks about the budding rivalry we have with Colorado before we sweep them... again.
After beating UCLA, some fan(s) make a joke about how they just got raped.
We finally win the Pac 12 tournament, but Larry Scott is suddenly called away so someone else gives Miller the trophy.
We play Kentucky in the title game. The media makes endless 97 comparisons even though the situation isn't even close to being the same.
Miller wins his first national championship showing how the program has really come full circle.
The national media spends the summer writing up stories about Miller possibly being lured back east.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I could predict the status quo but then this whole thread will be too indistinguishable.

• Arizona doesn't win the Natty - guard play usually wins the tournament - which Arizona doesn't have.
• Arizona loses 3 games - Conference game, Conference tournament, & NCAA tournament.
• Johnson becomes the best player on the team and the go to player on offense. Doesn't have the impact Gordon had on defense & rebounding but a vastly better offensive threat/player - dominates.
• Ashley has an average season, only turning it up late in conference play. He won't ever be as good as he was prior to the injury however.
• Tarczewski has a dominant regular season, no so much in the post season.
• Hollis-Jefferson has a great year, but forces too many things & tries to do too much late.
• TJ improves from last year but not what 97 & others hoped for. Lackluster shooting season, still not aggressive on offense & not a viable threat to defend.
• Rabb doesn't commit. But the promise of what was seen from Victor & Ristic softens the blow.
• Pitts, York have OK seasons but not stepping up to what Arizona needs from them. Shrinking what was a possible deep lineup into a main 7 or 8 man rotation (in tight games). They get plenty of time in blowouts.
• Arizona's fairly cupcake-ish schedule allows them to be in cruise control throughout the season. They completely dominate in the regular season but when they have to play tougher teams in March they struggle (as the games go on). They lose to Kentucky who has a relatively bad regular season compared to their preseason ranking. Their though schedule in the season helps them be prepared & win (along w/ better talent).
• This years team will be comparable to those Kansas, Duke, etc (top seeded teams) who had great regular seasons but disappointing post seasons.
• No one on the roster will be really good in the Association, think UNC 2005 NC team.

This i my heel turn
Last edited by NYCat on Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

NYCat wrote:I could predict the status quo but then this whole thread will be too indistinguishable.

• Arizona doesn't win the Natty - guard play wins the tournament
• Arizona loses 3 games - Conference game, Conference tournament, & NCAA tournament.
• Johnson becomes the best player on the team and the go to player on offense. Doesn't have the impact Gordon had on defense & rebounding but a vastly better offensive threat/player - dominates.
• Ashley has an average season, only turning it up late in conference play.
• Hollis-Jefferson has a great year, but forces too many things & tries to do too much late.
• TJ improves from last year but not what 97 & others hoped for. Lackluster shooting season, still not aggressive on offense & not a viable threat to defend.
• Rabb doesn't commit. But the promise of what was seen from Victor & Ristic softens the blow.
• Pitts, York have OK seasons but not stepping up to what Arizona needs from them. Shrinking what was a possible deep lineup into a main 7 or 8 man rotation (in tight games). They get plenty of time in blowouts.
• Arizona's fairly cupcake-ish schedule allows them to be in cruise control throughout the season. They completely dominate in the regular season but when they have to play tougher teams in March they struggle (as the games go on). They lose to Kentucky who has a relatively bad regular season compared to their preseason ranking. Their though schedule in the season helps them be prepared & win (along w/ better talent).
• This years team will be comparable to those Kansas, Duke, etc (top seeded teams) who had great regular seasons but disappointing post seasons.

This i my heel turn
This pessimism doesn't ring true. I think if you'd want to go for pessimism, you'd have to do injuries or have disappointment setting in during the regular season. Kentucky would have to repeat last year's sluggish performance and get put in Arizona's bracket.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Longhorned wrote:
NYCat wrote:I could predict the status quo but then this whole thread will be too indistinguishable.

• Arizona doesn't win the Natty - guard play wins the tournament
• Ashley has an average season, only turning it up late in conference play.

This i my heel turn
This pessimism doesn't ring true. I think if you'd want to go for pessimism, you'd have to do injuries or have disappointment setting in during the regular season. Kentucky would have to repeat last year's sluggish performance and get put in Arizona's bracket.
Goodness that would take alot of things going wrong for that to happen!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

1. Cats lose at least 1 OOC game.
2. Cats lose at least 3 pac12 regular season games.
3. Cats still win the pac12 conference regular season.
4. Cats win the pac12 tournament. Larry Scott is seen firing the 3 game refs for letting it happen.
5. Cats have at least 1 major injury this season.
6. BAsh isn't the same player as before the injury, much to the lament of the fans, but does start playing better near the end of the season and has good tournament showings, but not good enough to prevent #7.
7. Cats lose in the Elite 8, again.
8. Miller sticks to a 7 man main rotation (with an 8th guy getting a few minutes here and there, but nothing really impactful), much to the lament of the fans.
9. Ristic is the most popular guy on the bench for the fans, gets brought up any time we lose, fans want to see him on the floor more.
10. Cats have at least 1 player leave early who shouldn't, or who transfers for more playing time.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Machina

Post by Machina »

Lots of jokes about Larry Scott
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:1. Cats lose at least 1 OOC game.
2. Cats lose at least 3 pac12 regular season games.
3. Cats still win the pac12 conference regular season.
4. Cats win the pac12 tournament. Larry Scott is seen firing the 3 game refs for letting it happen.
5. Cats have at least 1 major injury this season.
6. BAsh isn't the same player as before the injury, much to the lament of the fans, but does start playing better near the end of the season and has good tournament showings, but not good enough to prevent #7.
7. Cats lose in the Elite 8, again.
8. Miller sticks to a 7 man main rotation (with an 8th guy getting a few minutes here and there, but nothing really impactful), much to the lament of the fans.
9. Ristic is the most popular guy on the bench for the fans, gets brought up any time we lose, fans want to see him on the floor more.
10. Cats have at least 1 player leave early who shouldn't, or who transfers for more playing time.
Yes on 1, 3, 6.

No on the others.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Debbie downers
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It's like some of you don't even know what to do with marquee season ahead. Act like you've been here before. And don't do it for me. Do it for yourself!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i predict Rondae Hollis-Jefferson & Stanley Johnson will be among the leaders in minutes played along with Kaleb Tarczewski & TJ McConnell.

i predict teams facing Arizona are going to have a hell of a time rebounding and scoring.

i predict Arizona's MASSIVE size will once again be its biggest weapon with its ability to wear teams down in games last 10min(s).

i predict Arizona will shoot 50% from the floor as a team.

i predict Arizona will win the outright Pac 12 Regular Season Conf Title

i predict Arizona will win 32+ games
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:i predict Rondae Hollis-Jefferson & Stanley Johnson will be among the leaders in minutes played along with Kaleb Tarczewski & TJ McConnell.

i predict teams facing Arizona are going to have a hell of a time rebounding and scoring.

i predict Arizona's MASSIVE size will once again be its biggest weapon with its ability to wear teams down in games last 10min(s).

i predict Arizona will shoot 50% from the floor as a team.

i predict Arizona will win the outright Pac 12 Regular Season Conf Title

i predict Arizona will win 32+ games
Nothing too debatable in these predictions, 97. Fairly conservative, imo.

I was hoping to hear you say something like, "PJC will be Pac FOY" or "SJ will be Pac POY" :)
97cats

Post by 97cats »

obvious -- that's the point
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Always good seeing 97's posts. Keep em coming (if time permits).
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

1. Cats will go undefeated in the regular season
2. Cats will lose in the P12 tourney final to Utah
3. SJ, RHJ and Bash 1st-Team All Pac
4. Pitts plays a bigger role than expected because of his knack for hitting big shots and being in the right position defensively
5. SJ leads team in scoring at 14.6 PPG
6. Zeus approaches double double status w/ 12.8 ppg and 8.7 rpg
7. TJ averages 7.1 apg to lead the Pac and is 4th in the nation
8. Bash leads the team in 3 pt % at 41
9. Ivan Rabb does not commit, but Caleb Swanigan does.
10. Cats cut down the nets in Indy, of course
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

97cats wrote:i predict Rondae Hollis-Jefferson & Stanley Johnson will be among the leaders in minutes played along with Kaleb Tarczewski & TJ McConnell. Yep

i predict teams facing Arizona are going to have a hell of a time rebounding and scoring. Yep

i predict Arizona's MASSIVE size will once again be its biggest weapon with its ability to wear teams down in games last 10min(s). Yep

i predict Arizona will shoot 50% from the floor as a team. Nope

i predict Arizona will win the outright Pac 12 Regular Season Conf Title Yep

i predict Arizona will win 32+ games Yep
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

i predict Arizona will shoot 50% from the floor as a team. Nope

Only Div I one team shot over 50% last year, ND St at 50.5%. Several others rounded up to 50%.

UA's shooting percentage last 5 years:

So to hit 50% the Cats would need a lot of fast break dunks and inside scoring. AG was a 49.5% shooter last year, and Nick Johnson 43%. Zeus was 58.4%.

So need some MASSIVE scoring, and not a lot of chucking from outside. TJ was at 45.4% last year, but hit over 50% at Duquesne.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Only way to hit 50 percent is to have minimal three-point attempts and Kerr shooting them. The 1987-88 team did it, but teams didn't shoot a lot of threes back then.

As for all those guys among the league leaders in minutes, I wonder. Suggests we won't have many blowouts. Hope this is wrong. I mean, we should blow teams out, right?

Think T.J. will log the most.

How about this prediction: Ashley will be a four-year player. Tough to resist the exodus (see: 2001), but will he really be coveted? Michael Wright thought he would be. Seems to be a tweener.

Another: We will exceed last year's free throw percentage. Bold, I know. :mrgreen:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote: How about this prediction: Ashley will be a four-year player.
That seems like it would be bad. Draft stock rises for that kind of player with a deep tourney run. And if he did come back, there would be too much depth at the 4.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Last time Arizona shot 50% as a team.

Worst shooter on the team at 45.5% = Damon Stoudamire.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Actually think Tarc is a four-year guy, too. But it's not about what I think. But, yeah, a logjam. Like at shooting guard now. I'm sure both would view this development as upsetting, given expectations.
gumby

Post by gumby »

KaibabKat wrote:1992

Thanks. And that team attempted 102 fewer treys: 459 vs. 561. Shot them better: 39% vs. 36%.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sch ... /1992.html

FG% defense is where we need to make our living.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Longhorned wrote:
That seems like it would be bad. Draft stock rises for that kind of player with a deep tourney run. And if he did come back, there would be too much depth at the 4.
I would much rather take a senior BASH over a freshman Rabb!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:

Thanks. And that team attempted 102 fewer treys: 459 vs. 561. Shot them better: 39% vs. 36%.

3 Pt line was also closer then, 19'9" instead of 20'9" like now.
gumby

Post by gumby »

3goggles wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Ditto.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
gumby wrote:

3 Pt line was also closer then, 19'9" instead of 20'9" like now.
Good point.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
3goggles wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Ditto.
Why is the choice between them? Rabb would be at the 5. Ashley would be eating Ryan Anderson's minutes.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:
3goggles wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Ditto.
Why is the choice between them? Rabb would be at the 5. Ashley would be eating Ryan Anderson's minutes.
Well I think he is more of a 4 then a 5 at the next level.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

You want a prediction about the Cats, you're asking the wrong Odogg. I'll give you a prediction for the opposition: It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Olsondogg wrote:You want a prediction about the Cats, you're asking the wrong Odogg. I'll give you a prediction for the opposition: It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life.
Bill Murray ftw!
mrqsjhnsnsux

Post by mrqsjhnsnsux »

RHJ will be a more effective player than Gordon was and Stanley will be a more effective player than Nick was making the starting lineup better this year than last.

Ristic is going to abuse a lot of second string center this year. He's nothing between the 20's, but get him in the red zone and he's smooth as silk.

Victor, wearing KP's number 3, will bring the intangibles off the bench like KP, although in a different manner than 'No Easy Buckets'
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

mrqsjhnsnsux wrote:RHJ will be a more effective player than Gordon was and Stanley will be a more effective player than Nick was making the starting lineup better this year than last.
You're going to have to define "more effective" for me, cause I don't think RHJ and Stanley will replace what we lost on defense.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:
3goggles wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Ditto.
I don't think they think this way. Think it's more like, "Am I going to be the focal point down low?" I have no idea if this is ever going to come to pass as a choice. Just responding that if it did, I'd want the senior.
mrqsjhnsnsux

Post by mrqsjhnsnsux »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
mrqsjhnsnsux wrote:RHJ will be a more effective player than Gordon was and Stanley will be a more effective player than Nick was making the starting lineup better this year than last.
You're going to have to define "more effective" for me, cause I don't think RHJ and Stanley will replace what we lost on defense.
I got called out on that escape hatch right away, didn't I. The way I see it, the gains on the offensive side will more than offset the losses on the defensive side and the net will be fewer close games and fewer stretches where we struggle for minutes at a time. I don't think the drop off on the defensive side will be that big.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

mrqsjhnsnsux wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
I got called out on that escape hatch right away, didn't I. The way I see it, the gains on the offensive side will more than offset the losses on the defensive side and the net will be fewer close games and fewer stretches where we struggle for minutes at a time. I don't think the drop off on the defensive side will be that big.

Well, here's hoping you're right.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RHJ is a better free throw shooter, but no way he defends near as well as Gordon, not even close. AG could guard every player on the court.

Gordon was also a 49.5% FG shooter and a 36.5% 3PT shooter.

Don't think RHJ will improve on those numbers.