Stanley Johnson Chemistry Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bosy Billups

Stanley Johnson Chemistry Thread

Post by Bosy Billups »

Everything alluded to by Miller so far seems to hint SJ has not 100% bought in and is having trouble with his role.

Do you guys sense this? Or is Miller spoiled from Aaron Gordon, a true team player who would just do what he is told, honoring the process.

Thoughts? Seems like it's an issue. Maybe it's other players, but my hunch is it's Stan. Please Advise!

PS - Maybe it's because 5 starters have the chance to be drafted, which hasn't worked out so well for Kentucky.
azcat49

Re: Stanley Johnson Chemistry Thread

Post by azcat49 »

Man I don't read that at all, at least WRT being specific that it is SJ. I think its just Millers way to send a message that the team is first
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just hard for a guy who has been "the man" for a few years to be part of a team. He will be fine.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

CBSSports.com: You win 33 games last year and it looked from the outside that your team had the best chemistry of any you've team had since you've been at Arizona. When you look ahead to this year's team, what will be the main attribute that will make this squad be successful?

Miller: We start all over again. When you lose Nick Johnson and Aaron Gordon and you talk about having great chemistry, they were a huge reason why. It's not just who they were on the court or their production, it's who they were in the locker room. They wanted to win. They played for Arizona every day and nobody else. They had individual goals that they wanted to accomplish but the most important thing for them was making sure that our team was going to be in the best possible position to have success. Looking ahead to this year, it's not like we're picking up where we left off. When you look at our returning players, they're in different roles and those roles have yet to be sorted out. Nick was our unquestioned leader last year but it remains to be seen who steps into that role during the upcoming season. Team chemistry isn't necessarily a concern or an issue, but it's something we want to sort out. We're definitely a work in progress in regards to that area.
"A year ago we had amazing team chemistry. I think that, more than anything, stands out when you reflect back on a year ago," said Miller. "It's up to guys like Brandon now, myself, to rekindle that.

"We find ourselves as we try to do it, it doesn't happen in 12 days. It certainly doesn't happen when you're welcoming such a big group of new players into a cast that has a big group of guys that have been there before. I think part of it is the quest of bringing everyone to get, a big challenge for us at this point."
Last edited by NYCat on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Don't know if we will ever see a star like Gordon again, who seems to absolutely love playing defense and is happy to be the 3rd or 4th option on offense. He is a very unique talent. I am sure Coach Miller will remind players of Aaron's incredible example for many years to come.

Go Cats!!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Realistically, TJ needs to be the leader of this team. Zeus & Ashley are too quiet on court, and RHJ and Stanley have never started. TJ is the guy with the ball in his hands, and he's going to be the one who determines just how far this team can go. Miller's obviously got his back. Step up, young man.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
TFCATFAN

Post by TFCATFAN »

I think its coach speak....everything is leaning towards us having a great season...coaches always try to downplay that sort of thing...unless they are Coach Cal.

I'm sure chemistry will be fine...Miller is getting HIS guys now, and they mesh well together.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

There's been some whispers, as in heresay but I'm not worried. If SJ doesn't buy-in he has a spot on the bench with his name on it. Josiah got away with that bullshit because he could.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

It's way early...give it some time. Miller's magic at work.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

After the red blue game I had the same feeling, about potential chemistry issues. That was based solely on Stan's play in the court. He took a lot of bad contested shots and passed very rarely. I got the James harden vibe from him which is great for stats but horrible for team basketball.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote:After the red blue game I had the same feeling, about potential chemistry issues. That was based solely on Stan's play in the court. He took a lot of bad contested shots and passed very rarely. I got the James harden vibe from him which is great for stats but horrible for team basketball.
Here's what Miller said about SJ after that game:

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... ame-101814

"What we're trying to teach him is all the intricacies of college defense and how to play with other good players and utilize our offense to create good opportunities," Miller said. "If you watch us 10 days from now or three weeks from now, I would hope you'd see him using our offense to be more efficient and be a better defender. And he'll do that every day."
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Or, like you guys said, Gabe York's started before and he can again.

And, as stated before, this has got to be TJ's team. Anyone else's, and there is a chemistry problem.

So basically I have nothing else to add to this conversation except emphasis. Thanks for reading anyway. ;)
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

But bottom line, as of today, there is an issue, or a potential issue, and it's probably w/ SJ.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Miller has a responsibility to develop all the players. Calling out one of your best players let's everyone know he doesn't play favorites. Also, every player (including someone as talented as SJ) has areas he needs to work on. From everything I have heard and read about SJ he is an outstanding young kid. I have no doubt he will take to Miller's coaching very well, and will learn to play even better on both the offensive and defensive ends than he does now.

SJ and his family know this is no joke. His ability to develop and become an even better basketball player will literally mean millions of dollars, if not tens of millions of dollars, over his NBA career. Miller is just the guy to help with that. The timid souls who cannot take his high-expectation brand of coaching (particularly on the defensive end) should probably go somewhere else.

Go Cats!!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

god damn there is some serious whinning goin on up in here
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

97cats wrote:god damn there is some serious whinning goin on up in here
F'realz
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Where is this coming from?

I know nothing, but I do follow SJ's twitter feed and on it he is all about Arizona.

Am I missing something?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just reading between the lines from Miller's quotes on SJ.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

I thought this was going to be a thread about how to create Stanley Johnson in a chemistry lab.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Bosy Billups wrote:But bottom line, as of today, there is an issue, or a potential issue, and it's probably w/ SJ.
"Issue"? "Potentia Issuel"? "Probably"?

You should be on ESPN First Take!
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

97cats wrote:god damn there is some serious whinning goin on up in here
Holy Shit it's nice to read a post like this from you. Sincerely. I missed ya pal!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This thread is awful.

It's also unnecessary, except of course for any amateur psychologists/psychics on this board.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What a dumb thread
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Bosy Billups wrote:But bottom line, as of today, there is an issue, or a potential issue, and it's probably w/ SJ.
Seems like conjecture to me. At least wait till the games start, it will be evident on the court. I agree that overall team chemistry is something that will be a potential issue, especially as the rotation gets filled out, but I highly doubt SJ will be a negative factor.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I was thinking the other day, that I wished there was more bball chatter on this board.

This wasn't what I was thinking...people must be bored. Zero chemistry issues on this team.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Olsondogg wrote:I was thinking the other day, that I wished there was more bball chatter on this board.

This wasn't what I was thinking...people must be bored. Zero chemistry issues on this team.
While I agree with your sentiment, I've got to ask: how the hell would you know about any potential chemistry issues on the team at this point in the season?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I was thinking the other day, that I wished there was more bball chatter on this board.

While I agree with your sentiment, I've got to ask: how the hell would you know about any potential chemistry issues on the team at this point in the season?
Which is the exact reason this thread is such an abortion.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Miller has said more than 2 or 3 times in pressers that they are working on chemistry, and it's not like ti was last year, mostly because Nick was such a leader and Gordon was a rare star who accepted his role from day 1. Also there are 5 players at a time, but "there will be some who aren't happy who think they're going to play."

That hints that people have not fully bought into their role. And it's not an issue, or something that won't get corrected, it will. But as of today, it's something to watch and a potential early season problem with a #1 or #2 national ranking.

This thread saved a child.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bosy Billups wrote:Miller has said more than 2 or 3 times in pressers that they are working on chemistry, and it's not like ti was last year, mostly because Nick was such a leader and Gordon was a rare star who accepted his role from day 1. Also there are 5 players at a time, but "there will be some who aren't happy who think they're going to play."

That hints that people have not fully bought into their role. And it's not an issue, or something that won't get corrected, it will. But as of today, it's something to watch and a potential early season problem with a #1 or #2 national ranking.

What does any of this have to do with Stanley Johnson?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

This gonna be 1 of those thread where Stanley shoots like 3-11 and looks mad while doing so and it gets bumped with the "I told you so"?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Main Event wrote:This gonna be 1 of those thread where Stanley shoots like 3-11 and looks mad while doing so and it gets bumped with the "I told you so"?
Or it gets bumped after we win a natty and everyone laughs their asses off.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Chicat wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:Miller has said more than 2 or 3 times in pressers that they are working on chemistry, and it's not like ti was last year, mostly because Nick was such a leader and Gordon was a rare star who accepted his role from day 1. Also there are 5 players at a time, but "there will be some who aren't happy who think they're going to play."

What does any of this have to do with Stanley Johnson?
Cuz it probably ain't TJ, it aint Rondae, it ain't PJC, it ain't Risic, let's use some deductive reasoning especially with all the mentions of Aaron Gordon last year. We have 5 players vying for a draft pick this year. Maybe it's all of them. Who knows.

Whatever, sounds like it's not an issue, well have to wait and see.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You mentioned Miller's quote about guys not being happy because they won't play much. You think Sean Miller won't play Stanley? C'mon...

Those quotes are so vague that Miller could have literally been talking about anyone or anything. Assigning any chemistry issues to SJ is silly at this point.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Hey, didn't I already mention that Stanley was going to be trouble when Miller posted the team photo after the mile run? First!

:roll:
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Actually, you haven't demonstrated this yet. But I love how you constructed that escape hatch with "potentially."
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Puerco wrote:

Potentially, everything could be an issue. Shooting, rebounding, defense, girlfriends, grades, irrital bowel syndrome. So, let's get those threads started!
Right where I want to be.
Zero

Post by Zero »

I cannot tell if Bossy is an Arizona fan or UCLA fan the way he posts. His threads on BRO are freaking weird.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

PS - Stanley is living off campus, right? Think that's the first Miller freshman to ever do that.

Look, I'll I'm saying is Miller is working on it and it sounds like an issue at the moment. Maybe not when play starts, but at the moment. If it wasn't, Miller would dismiss every question on the issue and say "I'm not worried about chemistry with this group" or "This group is showing great chemistry early on" or something like that. It's been the reverse.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Zero wrote:I cannot tell if Bossy is an Arizona fan or UCLA fan the way he posts. His threads on BRO are freaking weird.
Focus my friend, stick to the topic of chemistry.
Zero

Post by Zero »

There is no topic.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

FTR -- Johnson lives with Ristic and Allen
Zero

Post by Zero »

OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
97cats

Post by 97cats »

and get this, Ristic is a freshman too
WildcatRx

Post by WildcatRx »

How's Wilbur doing?
"I do not like Miller"-- Machina
Zero

Post by Zero »

The chemistry issues are over Stanley eating Dusan's last power bar at home. Dammit.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Bosy Billups wrote:Everything alluded to by Miller so far seems to hint SJ has not 100% bought in and is having trouble with his role.

Do you guys sense this? Or is Miller spoiled from Aaron Gordon, a true team player who would just do what he is told, honoring the process.

Thoughts? Seems like it's an issue. Maybe it's other players, but my hunch is it's Stan. Please Advise!

PS - Maybe it's because 5 starters have the chance to be drafted, which hasn't worked out so well for Kentucky.
I wasn't concerned with this post until I got to the end and read the part in bold... I shudder to think our fans might have to endure the type of dysfunction and regret that UK fans have since Cal got there.

Last 4 years, and they made just 3 Final 4's and only got ONE championship. Unacceptable....

What an inane comment.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't think TJ has any chance to be drafted, so 4 out of 5.

TJ just isn't that quick and shoots from too low.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:I don't think TJ has any chance to be drafted, so 4 out of 5.

Yeah. I love TJ, but let's get real: he's not exactly NBA material. He's definitely good enough to play overseas somewhere, but we've seen much better PGs than TJ fail to make it in the NBA.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Merkin wrote:I don't think TJ has any chance to be drafted, so 4 out of 5.

Yeah. I love TJ, but let's get real: he's not exactly NBA material. He's definitely good enough to play overseas somewhere, but we've seen much better PGs than TJ fail to make it in the NBA.

Shakur had 6.9 APG as a senior and 11.9 PPG but still only had a cup of coffee in the league.