Let the KenPom watch begin

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Let the KenPom watch begin

Post by Beachcat97 »

Olsondogg wrote:Arizona loses, idiots go apeshit and Arizona moves up from 12 to 11
I’m with you, OD. I do think this team is different. You can see them getting closer. By March, we’re going to win a game like last night.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:Arizona loses, idiots go apeshit and Arizona moves up from 12 to 11
Pretty much. It boggles my mind that people are mad we don't win every single game. We played a good game against a very good team and people are posting about how they're done with Miller.

We're edging closer to the top 20 offense and defense that tends to be a national championship predictor, but no, Miller's a moron and we suck.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Meanwhile miller and Arizona could go undefeated the entire year but if the final 4 isn’t achieved it is all meaningless anyway.

It’s times like these where I understand why Arizona fans are despised by everyone else in the PAC. So entitled and ignorant.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Olsondogg wrote:Meanwhile miller and Arizona could go undefeated the entire year but if the final 4 isn’t achieved it is all meaningless anyway.

It’s times like these where I understand why Arizona fans are despised by everyone else in the PAC. So entitled and ignorant.
I've been saying this for years, we're the spoiled brats of college basketball. No appreciation or perspective. Oregon's a tough out for anybody.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:Meanwhile miller and Arizona could go undefeated the entire year but if the final 4 isn’t achieved it is all meaningless anyway.

Yeah. On one hand, the fact Miller wins Pac titles at a higher rate than Lute doesn't matter. Only the final four matters.

Then we lose a Pac road game to a top ten opponent and the same people lose their minds because Pac games matter now, I guess.

Delusional things like Mike Bibby didn't accept L's. He accepted 7 L's in 1997 Pac 10 play.

We had a lot of positives out of a very tough game last night. I see that game as confirmation we can play with anyone, anywhere. That's what you want from a team.

We weren't perfect, but we have seen this team rebound from the SJU loss with demonstrable growth. We keep growing like that and we are a dangerous team. I can't fathom being really upset with anything but the result. Our performance made me very positive.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Exactly how I feel, Spiff.

Also you wrote it without my animosity towards others here. Well done.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

And Oregon dropped down 1 to 16
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Trier shot us out of games, but god damn his metrics were awesome!!

Hang that banner.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

For the record I get we are still a work in progress, and still developing, but that shouldn’t discount the fact that we still are under performing.

And that we’ve seen this show before and know how it ends.

And the past predicts the future.

And while I hope we get out do the first weekend, I’ll also be surprised if we do they way we are currently projecting.

I’ll be more than happy to eat that crow.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Always cool to see someone enter a Kenpom thread and complain about posts on metrics.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks for the annual reminder that Odogg fandom is the only fandom.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m more outcome oriented, the metrics aficionados -more process.

It’s cool, and I’m not ignorant enough to think you’re wrong
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Always looking forward to your pathetic mea culpa when it inevitably comes. Time is a flat circle with you.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Mirrors right back at you Odogg.

Sorry the loss was so triggering that you felt the need to come beat up on some cats fan ingrates.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CalStateTempe wrote:Mirrors right back at you Odogg.

Sorry the loss was so triggering that you felt the need to come beat up on some cats fan ingrates.
Lmao.

Keep goin!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dude doesn’t post all season, but a few losses and a few venting fans, and Odogg feels the need to come down from his local Y coaching gig, to tell us all why our eye balls are wrong and how we’re all shitty fans.

Like Miller’s end of game sets, we’ve seen this show before.

Flat circle, right Odogg? Nice projection.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:I’m more outcome oriented, the metrics aficionados -more process.

It’s cool, and I’m not ignorant enough to think you’re wrong
If I remember right, you're a doctor, right?

If someone's BUN and Creatinine were sky high, but they felt fine, would you respond by being outcome oriented and telling them it was fine?

That's my analogy to metrics. You can see our numbers improving in real time. That is a measurement of actual improvement occurring. ASU and Oregon were our two best games of the year, IMO.

That's why I don't buy history or outcome stuff. Outcomes are the result of the correct process being followed. If you build right, the end result will be solid.

The metrics and (fwiw) my eye test tell me that we're building.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

This. (Even though LH won the thread a few more up)...

Arizona can't play a pretty great, efficient, road game unless they win - to our fan base anyway. I had a ball watching last night. Refs sucked, that's weird? No. Both teams made mistakes, the home team pulled it out. Perspective around here is getting harder and harder to..
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

14th overall, AdjO 8, AdjD 42

Net ranking 11
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Bubble team
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UAEebs86 wrote:Bubble team
Totally. All the people who've been saying we're on the bubble are completely full of s, myself included.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Bubble team
Totally. All the people who've been saying we're on the bubble are completely full of s, myself included.

Good on you for admitting it.

I get what you were saying to a degree, that if UA lost a bunch of games going forward what would that mean etc.

This is, is you can say that for every single team in the nation so you can only go off results to date. And all season UA has been a solid team in the big dance.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

We lost to #67 and there are only 64 tourney teams, guys.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Longhorned wrote:We lost to #67 and there are only 64 tourney teams, guys.
Yup with Jeter out this season is over...just gonna cheer for the Zags and hope for better next year...sigh...

Even if we get him back it won't be in time to help us in Quad 1 games...no quality wins, 5 really bad losses...and Kenpom hates us.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

For my birthday I’ve asked for someone to get me a “KenPom S16” t shirt.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Stephen F. Austin is #121. Clemson is #81.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

zonagrad wrote:
Stephen F. Austin is #121. Clemson is #81.
So by the transitive property, we’re #122 (even if we haven’t played Kentucky, they beat us because I hate myself).
97cats

Post by 97cats »

LH - lmao

three winnable road games ahead - a sweep would put AZ back in the top 16 Seeds.

lofty I know - makes for interesting TV, tho.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

97cats wrote:LH - lmao

three winnable road games ahead - a sweep would put AZ back in the top 16 Seeds.

lofty I know - makes for interesting TV, tho.
We could conceivably win the next 5 games...ASU might be the biggest bump but we have a week to get ready...after that the Washington trip and I am unimpressed with both of those schools...then USC/UselessLA come here...if the team doesn't freak at the zone the only tough game should be ASU because they have that window of distraction thing that always makes teams lose there.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i can’t get to five till AZ gets through these three - but yes, coming home after a sweep would set up a huge opportunity to stack.

and it’s the curtain of distraction (as I know u know) and it’s lame AF - as the kids would say

soo.......

f*ck ASU
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Can’t lose to ASU. Not this year.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I look at the remaining schedule and there aren't any games that aren't winnable. I believe the Cats will be favored in every remaining game. Although there are a few challenges. It wouldn't surprise me if the Cats ran the table, even though losing 2-3 more games is reasonable. The Cats are a young team and winning on the road is probably their biggest challenge. Conquer that and this could be an amazing year, even with the growing pangs.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

97cats wrote:i can’t get to five till AZ gets through these three - but yes, coming home after a sweep would set up a huge opportunity to stack.

and it’s the curtain of distraction (as I know u know) and it’s lame AF - as the kids would say

soo.......

f*ck ASU
Yea I know I wasn't going to dignify it with what they call it...its a stupid ass gimmick that is no longer even slightly interesting except to sportscasters who lack enough basketball savy to actually comment on the game at hand.

It was a cheap trick Bobby allowed to get the numbers back up so they didn't have to cover the empty seats with paper towels during broadcasting to appear more full than reality demonstrated...

Its basically ASU's thespian society doing cheers for that ball team out there...both of which suck more than a hole in the cockpit at 10,000 feet.

I think winning at ASU breaks the "win on the road" butt clenching.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
97cats wrote:i can’t get to five till AZ gets through these three - but yes, coming home after a sweep would set up a huge opportunity to stack.

soo.......

f*ck ASU
Yea I know I wasn't going to dignify it with what they call it...its a stupid ass gimmick that is no longer even slightly interesting except to sportscasters who lack enough basketball savy to actually comment on the game at hand.

It was a cheap trick Bobby allowed to get the numbers back up so they didn't have to cover the empty seats with paper towels during broadcasting to appear more full than reality demonstrated...

Its basically ASU's thespian society doing cheers for that ball team out there...both of which suck more than a hole in the cockpit at 10,000 feet.

I think winning at ASU breaks the "win on the road" butt clenching.
The curtain of shit predates Hurley at asu
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The curtain is a cheap gimmick for a school that’s a proverbial punchline. You think Miller, or even Lute, would continue such an embarrassment when taking over a program?

I like the long week to re-focus after the recent home sweep.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

CalStateTempe wrote:For the record I get we are still a work in progress, and still developing, but that shouldn’t discount the fact that we still are under performing.

And while I hope we get out do the first weekend, I’ll also be surprised if we do they way we are currently projecting.

I couldn't agree more. A couple wins at home over mediocre at best teams is hardly the cause for celebration especially with so many games remaining. Suddenly the Miller blowhards have once again convinced themselves this is the start of something big. With such a predictable pattern year after year indeed you'd think they would know better by now. The only 'metric' that matters is winning. It's too easy and convenient to manipulate statistics to attain a favorable outcome. But then again it's the knee jerk reaction by so many in our fan base to pathetically justify under performance and failure.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Captain Obvious wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:For the record I get we are still a work in progress, and still developing, but that shouldn’t discount the fact that we still are under performing.

I couldn't agree more. A couple wins at home over mediocre at best teams is hardly the cause for celebration especially with so many games remaining. Suddenly the Miller blowhards have once again convinced themselves this is the start of something big. With such a predictable pattern year after year indeed you'd think they would know better by now. The only 'metric' that matters is winning. It's too easy and convenient to manipulate statistics to attain a favorable outcome. But then again it's the knee jerk reaction by so many in our fan base to pathetically justify under performance and failure.
You’ve become boring.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Captain Obvious wrote:

Everyone thinks solar power is a good thing. Houses and businesses powered by clean energy is hardly a step in the right direction. Suddenly everyone starts convincing themselves it's better than burning carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. What knee-jerking, public masturbating assholes you all are. Nobody seems to realize that the sun is actually just a bottle of hot sauce up your own ass, and you're all just burning shit molecules into your children's oatmeal. I hope you all die in a boat explosion.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Beachcat97 wrote:Can’t lose to ASU. Not this year.
Not any year. In any sport.

But until Sumlin figures that out, we'll have to make sure ASU remembers who owns them in basketball.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Longhorned wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

Everyone thinks solar power is a good thing. Houses and businesses powered by clean energy is hardly a step in the right direction. Suddenly everyone starts convincing themselves it's better than burning carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. What knee-jerking, public masturbating assholes you all are. Nobody seems to realize that the sun is actually just a bottle of hot sauce up your own ass, and you're all just burning shit molecules into your children's oatmeal. I hope you all die in a boat explosion.
I mostly only come here for LH's posts these days. <3
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Catintheheat wrote:I look at the remaining schedule and there aren't any games that aren't winnable. I believe the Cats will be favored in every remaining game. Although there are a few challenges. It wouldn't surprise me if the Cats ran the table, even though losing 2-3 more games is reasonable. The Cats are a young team and winning on the road is probably their biggest challenge. Conquer that and this could be an amazing year, even with the growing pangs.
I agree that none is unwinnable, but I'd be pretty surprised to see us run the table. Much better AZ teams never even went on a run like that.

I'm really just focused on getting to Selection Sunday with a healthy roster, with a couple more quality wins, and with appreciable improvement in consistency. No reason this team can't surprise people and land in the E8. Most of the highly rated teams are beatable this year, so very few of the current top 10 would concern me. I'd actually love to get another crack at Baylor or Gonzaga.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

I mostly only come here for LH's posts these days. <3

They start off as analogies to show how idiotic some people’s posts are, then they devolve into mad-lib tangents that i find absolutely hilarious.

Every. Single. Time.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Captain Obvious wrote:

I'd say these posts aged very well.
Last edited by Captain Obvious on Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Are we still a work in progress?

Gonna miss the ncaa 3x in millers tenure with stocked talent?

You cause keep wrapping yourself in the warm blanket of excuses.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Captain Obvious wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

I'd say these posts aged very well.
Big win tonight for you. Surprised you’re not out celebrating.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Last week:

14th overall, AdjO 8, AdjD 42

Net ranking 11

This week:

Overall 12, AdjO 11, AdjD 31

Net Ranking 10
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

So lose to ASU and move up in KenPom?

Fascinating :lol:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Last second shots are a bitch.

Lol
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

11 and 27 now. Really hoping and thinking we can be top 20 in AdjD heading into the tourney.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

After Sunday's games, we're 24 in AdjD.