Arizona v. UK Starting 5

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bosy Billups

Arizona v. UK Starting 5

Post by Bosy Billups »

According to Kentucky, we're cute and TJMC wouldn't even be a ball boy on Kentucky's team.

https://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp ... 88&style=2

PS - The whole offense argument, do people realize we don't even need that much if we're holding opponents to 50-60 points?
LBdCactus

Re: Arizona v. UK Starting 5

Post by LBdCactus »

Is it weird that in my head, when reading that thread, every time I see the word "bench" I hear "binch". As in, "Awwwwman... our binch is deep, boy!"
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Didn't Calipari recently say that AZ should be preseason number one? That should settle it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So UK Cats fans think they should be #1 and AZ Cats fans think they should be #1.

Amazing.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Perhaps we will play at some point in the tourney and it will be settled. Until then, I don't give one single fuck about UK's starting 5.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Vegas has UK 3/1 to win the NC. Maybe not just top 5, but bench, coaching and so on.
loomer

Post by loomer »

Seth Davis ✔ @SethDavisHoops
Follow
NBA scout today who has seen both teams told me Kentucky is "way better" than Arizona--and Arizona will be No. 2 or No. 3 in the preseason.
5:48 PM - 27 Oct 2014
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Awesome tweet by the biggest douche in CBB.

Good thing for us is that an NBA scout knows absolutely nothing about a team in college basketball. He's there to evaluate NBA talent.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Kentucky is full-blown greatness 1-5. Whereas you'd rather not have a 5th year senior point guard, Ashley and Tarc as upperclassmen, and Stanley Johnson and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson on the wing.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Both teams look great. Hopefully we can settle this on the court.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Kentucky should have no problem going "40-0!!!"
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Longhorned wrote:Kentucky is full-blown greatness 1-5. Whereas you'd rather not have a 5th year senior point guard, Ashley and Tarc as upperclassmen, and Stanley Johnson and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson on the wing.

This is where the difference really is. I don't think there is much debate the UK starting 5 (or bench for that matter) has more long term playing and earning potential. And may be the better starting 5 now. Still, it is a college game that will take place in the immediate future. The "make-up" of our starting 5 within the system and game is arguably superior.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Not just Kentucky, but against any Final Four calibre team, Arizona will defend well, but they'll also need to stay out of foul trouble and have a "feelin'-it" night from its bench players on the wing.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Bosy Billups wrote:According to Kentucky, we're cute and TJMC wouldn't even be a ball boy on Kentucky's team.

PS - The whole offense argument, do people realize we don't even need that much if we're holding opponents to 50-60 points?
I heard they have chemistry issues.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UK also has extra practices and exhibition games during the summer. However, they did lose to a fresh Dominican Republic national team after a brutal schedule.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

TJ McConnell is a 5th year senior.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bosy Billups wrote:According to Kentucky, we're cute and TJMC wouldn't even be a ball boy on Kentucky's team.

Sure, but does UK suffer from our chemistry issues, which may or may not exist?

Oh, Eebs beat me to it!
Alieberman wrote:So UK Cats fans think they should be #1 and AZ Cats fans think they should be #1.

Amazing.
I'm sensing a lack of appreciation for this thread.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Solution? Duke for #1, baby!
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Its absolutely clear to me that the Wildcats have the best lineup.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Not concerned about what opposing fans think.
Certainly not concerned about what anonymous scouts as cited by douchebags think.

Facts are no team can match Arizona's size, lottory wing talent, and experience.

Still gotta earn it.

How Coach Sean Miller approaches that journey is all I'm concerned with.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

loomer wrote:
Follow
NBA scout today who has seen both teams told me Kentucky is "way better" than Arizona--and Arizona will be No. 2 or No. 3 in the preseason.
As many posters know I am a very happy resident of Manhattan Beach, CA. The beach town in the past few years has become a popular residence of former/current college and NBA coaches and players. The other day I was walking back to my house when I noticed a car visibly illegally parked. I mean right in front of a restaurant on a big bright red line and fire hydrant without a meter. A ticket meter dude was blocking the car in and writing a ticket. The owner of the car was multi-tasking by yelling at the Meter maid and yelling at his attorney on the phone that he wanted to "sue the whole city of Manhattan Beach." The owner of the car was also yelling at the meter maid with a "do you know who I am" type context. The owner of that car...................Seth Davis.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UofAlum05 wrote:
loomer wrote:
Follow
As many posters know I am a very happy resident of Manhattan Beach, CA. The beach town in the past few years has become a popular residence of former/current college and NBA coaches and players. The other day I was walking back to my house when I noticed a car visibly illegally parked. I mean right in front of a restaurant on a big bright red line and fire hydrant without a meter. A ticket meter dude was blocking the car in and writing a ticket. The owner of the car was multi-tasking by yelling at the Meter maid and yelling at his attorney on the phone that he wanted to "sue the whole city of Manhattan Beach." The owner of the car was also yelling at the meter maid with a "do you know who I am" type context. The owner of that car...................Seth Davis.
where's the cell phone video?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I was thinking Kevin O'Neill, not sure why.

Does he live in MB in some penthouse condo?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

UofAlum05 wrote:
loomer wrote:
Follow

Great post. Sharpie.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

JMarkJohns wrote:Not concerned about what opposing fans think.
Certainly not concerned about what anonymous scouts as cited by douchebags think.

Facts are no team can match Arizona's size, lottory wing talent, and experience.

Still gotta earn it.

Will CSM "loosen up a bit?" Is this the year...?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CBCat wrote:

Still gotta earn it.

He said last year he made a mistake in not developing a bench after BAsh's injury, so he might loosen up that aspect. But really doubt we will ever see any real effort for a zone. So loosening up on needing to buy into his system.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Merkin wrote:
CBCat wrote:

Still gotta earn it.

He said last year he made a mistake in not developing a bench after BAsh's injury, so he might loosen up that aspect. But really doubt we will ever see any real effort for a zone. So loosening up on needing to buy into his system.

He also said he learned alot coaching with the USA team this summer and watching some opposing coaches and the way they coached.

Defense will be the same, he's committed to that.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Merkin wrote:I was thinking Kevin O'Neill, not sure why.

He has a condo in downtown LA.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

6ish players and no zone

32+ wins
UAEebs86

l

Post by UAEebs86 »

UofAlum05 wrote:
Merkin wrote:I was thinking Kevin O'Neill, not sure why.

He has a condo in downtown LA.
A Brief Reminder That Kevin O'Neill Is One Of College Basketball's All-Time Dickheads

http://deadspin.com/5781089/a-reminder- ... t-assholes

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

97cats wrote:6ish players and no zone

32+ wins
That would be ideal, barring health. Who are the 6-7? Pitts & Allen?

#threadstarter #role
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

York is 6
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

97cats wrote:6ish players and no zone

32+ wins
I don't think having 6 players gets us where we want to go.

Better be at least 7, with a capable when he must be 8th.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

8 man rotation pretty cool. Enough depth for March - April, but enough minutes to go around?
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Kentucky doesn't have Ristic!!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

6 will get majority of minutes, but I bet 8 play regularly.
gumby

Post by gumby »

With six, you get eggroll.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

I don't particularly care what the most delusional fan base in the world thinks, nor Douche Davis, nor anonymous NBA scout who probably would have said the same thing last year.

Here's what I think: invincible Kentucky has some serious problems that, while not fatal to a successful season, will have to be ironed out for them to win. I've said this other places so forgive me if you've read it elsewhere:

1) If reports are to be believed, Hawkins is their best defender, Booker is their best shooter, and Ulis is their best point guard. None of those guys are name Harrison. Cal didn't have anyone to spell them last year, but he does this year - how will they take it? And how will those other guys take it when they're not on the court and feel like they should be?

2) They don't have anyone to guard positions 1-3. The Harrisons aren't good defenders (if on the floor); Poythress is basically Derrick Williams or Brandon Ashley at the 3. You are who you guard, and there are going to be some mismatches for them on that end. I'm sure WCS is going to help clean up some mistakes on defense, but how sustainable is that. They were a mediocre defensive team last year - how much better do they get?

3) Too many dudes. Just too many bigs. They're not going to play WCS and Towns and Lyles and Johnson and Lee and Willis. Someone, probably two or three bigs, sits which means someone's not happy. How is Johnson going to feel being relegated to the bench behind Towns and Lyles when he played very well in limited minutes last year? How are they going to deal with that? The "disease of me" in full effect.

In 2012 they had the perfect number of guys, like we did last year, but we got the injury they avoided in 2012, which also just so happened to culminate in the worst possible matchup for us for who we lost and our remaining available personnel (Kaminsky, who Ashley could have guarded). I don't care if they have the best 1-12 in basketball. History has proven time and time and time again that you only need the best 6.5, and I still think that's us.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Good points SHB.

I like that Douche Davis qualifies himself by saying we would have won it all last year with Bash.

I can't wait to see Cal attempt the "platooning" that he's talked about...although I think it is all hot air, just as most of what he says is. I agree that it is next to impossible to keep all those guys happy, when they are on the bench. Hell, I am worried about it on our own team and the bench at UA hasn't nearly gotten the acclaim that UK has.

I can't wait until UK drops their first game, and then their second...and god forbid if those losses come one after another. Everyone has conveniently forgotten the grumbles out of Lexington last year prior to Selection Sunday...
gumby

Post by gumby »

Douche. That's gotta hurt.

OTOH, if the Harrison Twins aren't the best at those particular skills, then, wow, they've really added to the team. Chemistry notwithstanding.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

gumby wrote:Douche. That's gotta hurt.

OTOH, if the Harrison Twins aren't the best at those particular skills, then, wow, they've really added to the team. Chemistry notwithstanding.
Missed you too Gumby.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

From Chad Ford ESPN chat today:
Rick (Tucson)

Sean Miller has repeatedly said Kaleb T. is the most improved player for Arizona (it usually takes bigs a little more time to develop) and if this is true what is his draft ceiling?

Chad Ford

He's an athletic 7 footer. Scouts are more patient with them. If he really comes on this year, he could be a lottery pick. No question.
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/ ... -chad-ford
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

He also said this

Mike (queens) [via mobile]
Kelly Oubre or Stanley Johnson who's the best wing in the draft?
Chad Ford 1:46 PM ET
I have Oubre ranked slightly ahead of Johnson -- primarily because Oubre is a better perimeter shooter. Both are ranked as Top 10 picks.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Oubre likes to launch, thats for sure
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

salim'sheadband wrote:I don't particularly care what the most delusional fan base in the world thinks, nor Douche Davis, nor anonymous NBA scout who probably would have said the same thing last year.

Here's what I think: invincible Kentucky has some serious problems that, while not fatal to a successful season, will have to be ironed out for them to win. I've said this other places so forgive me if you've read it elsewhere:

1) If reports are to be believed, Hawkins is their best defender, Booker is their best shooter, and Ulis is their best point guard. None of those guys are name Harrison. Cal didn't have anyone to spell them last year, but he does this year - how will they take it? And how will those other guys take it when they're not on the court and feel like they should be?

2) They don't have anyone to guard positions 1-3. The Harrisons aren't good defenders (if on the floor); Poythress is basically Derrick Williams or Brandon Ashley at the 3. You are who you guard, and there are going to be some mismatches for them on that end. I'm sure WCS is going to help clean up some mistakes on defense, but how sustainable is that. They were a mediocre defensive team last year - how much better do they get?

3) Too many dudes. Just too many bigs. They're not going to play WCS and Towns and Lyles and Johnson and Lee and Willis. Someone, probably two or three bigs, sits which means someone's not happy. How is Johnson going to feel being relegated to the bench behind Towns and Lyles when he played very well in limited minutes last year? How are they going to deal with that? The "disease of me" in full effect.

In 2012 they had the perfect number of guys, like we did last year, but we got the injury they avoided in 2012, which also just so happened to culminate in the worst possible matchup for us for who we lost and our remaining available personnel (Kaminsky, who Ashley could have guarded). I don't care if they have the best 1-12 in basketball. History has proven time and time and time again that you only need the best 6.5, and I still think that's us.
Regarding defenses, check out SI and Luke Winn's stuff. Interesting, but new predictive models can be a bit, ah, unpredictive.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... es-preview

Nutshell: UK improves slightly, and UA regresses slightly (mostly due to regression toward our historic mean), but UA still predicted significantly better on D.

Best 6.5? Nah, haven't ever and still don't buy that. Perhaps if you get to a single game scenario with your best six intact then I would agree, but from the perspective of the preseason, quality depth becomes very, very important. Last year being only a single piece of many similar pieces of evidence to support my position. I hope Miller finds enough minutes for at least the first three bench players.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

How many days until I hear something like "Well it will take time to gel".
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Arizona went all the way through the championship with an eight-man rotation in '97. Two of the bench players were bigs.

Unless the basketball gods have it out for us, we have all seen more than enough of what CSM has done to know this season will be no regression, but a breakthrough.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

catgrad97 wrote:Arizona went all the way through the championship with an eight-man rotation in '97. Two of the bench players were bigs.

Unless the basketball gods have it out for us, we have all seen more than enough of what CSM has done to know this season will be no regression, but a breakthrough.

My comments were towards the UK program. Not UA.