Official Bracketology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:We are up to #7 in the NET rankings.
That is so, so crazy to me. Imagine if we'd beaten Gonzaga or Oregon.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Up to #11 KenPom
offense - 16
defense - 23

Win vs Oregon and we can beef up the resume considerably with a chance to win the league even with a split in SoCal
eoe

Post by eoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Or if Green's 3 with 8 seconds at Baylor dropped....
Or if Nico Mannion wasn't 1 for 25 at Baylor.......
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

eoe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Or if Green's 3 with 8 seconds at Baylor dropped....
Or if Nico Mannion wasn't 1 for 25 at Baylor.......
The difference between glory and gloom can be so tiny!

One game at a time. If we beat Oregon tomorrow, we're in great shape with 4 games to play. If we lose tomorrow, there's more pressure to at least split in L.A.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Beachcat97 wrote:
SOS is helped because they played two #1 seeds.

I'd be surprised if the Net helps Arizona move up at least one line especially if they win the league.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

That win over Illinois has aged well too.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

As has been noted here ad nauseum - and then emphatically denied by NET enthusiasts - this team’s seed range is 5 to 8. Any shot at a 4 seed left the building yesterday.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
As has been noted here ad nauseum - and then emphatically denied by NET enthusiasts - this team’s seed range is 5 to 8. Any shot at a 4 seed left the building yesterday.
5-8??

If we get swept this week and do poorly in the PAC12 tourney there is no question we could drop below an 8 seed.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Not sure the NET agrees with you...

Here:

Net Bracketology for 2/23 has Az as a 3
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Here:

Ain't happenin. No way. Last night's choke job was our last shot at getting a decent seed. And after we get swept by the L.A. schools I think we end up as an 8 or 9 seed. Based on our pathetically weak resume we'll probably be fortunate to get that. Wouldn't be at all surprised if we lose in game 1 in both the conference and NCAA tournaments. This team just doesn't have it. I'm not trying to be negative, I'm being realistic. NET rankings and Kenpom stats don't change the fact that we're not very good. A little above average and that's about it. Take it for what it is. There is no silver lining.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

If anything, the Net rating will justify the committee's reason for Arizona being overseeded and they'll get their doors blown off by a higher seed (again).
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Here:

Are you serious??? The NET rankings are a joke. The UA is only ranked that high because we played Gonzaga/Baylor.

I'll bet you $1000 (and give you 10/1 odds) that the UA is NOT a 3 seed. Want to bet???
eoe

Post by eoe »

dmjcat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Here:

Are you serious??? The NET rankings are a joke. The UA is only ranked that high because we played Gonzaga/Baylor.

I'll bet you $1000 (and give you 10/1 odds) that the UA is NOT a 3 seed. Want to bet???
This is a projection. If UA wins out (4-0 remaining regular season) and makes it to the Pac-12 tourney title match, they will be a 3 seed.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

eoe wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Here:

This is a projection. If UA wins out (4-0 remaining regular season) and makes it to the Pac-12 tourney title match, they will be a 3 seed.
Well then, would you like to take my bet?? :lol:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

eoe wrote:
dmjcat wrote:This is a projection. If UA wins out (4-0 remaining regular season) and makes it to the Pac-12 tourney title match, they will be a 3 seed.
Lol...not. a. chance. As in, there's no way we're a 3 seed, even in the unlikely scenario you've described.

Can we please stop the talk about winning out, too? It soooooo isn't happening.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
eoe wrote:
dmjcat wrote:This is a projection. If UA wins out (4-0 remaining regular season) and makes it to the Pac-12 tourney title match, they will be a 3 seed.
Lol...not. a. chance. As in, there's no way we're a 3 seed, even in the unlikely scenario you've described.

Yeah much better to continue loser talk
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
eoe wrote:

Is there any development/outcome, PHX, that will impact your seemingly unshakable assessment of this team? Like how would an 0-2 week taste? Is your take-away from the Oregon loss that this team is just unlucky? Are you not concerned that this team has failed to win tight games again and again?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
eoe wrote:

Is there any development/outcome, PHX, that will impact your seemingly unshakable assessment of this team? Like how would an 0-2 week taste? Is your take-away from the Oregon loss that this team is just unlucky? Are you not concerned that this team has failed to win tight games again and again?
When they play like crap multiple games in a row I will say there is a problem. UA played a pretty good game on Saturday minus the free throw shooting.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:When they play like crap multiple games in a row I will say there is a problem. UA played a pretty good game on Saturday minus the free throw shooting.
Fair enough. And hey, if they go 2-0 this week, I am happy to forget what happened this past Saturday.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Right now with tie breakers we sit in 5th place for the conference tourney. That would mean a game vs Washington on Wednesday. A very tough road trip this week where I would take a split and be very happy. So many lost opportunities. The mental toughness of this team should have been forged in these tough losses but it is bewildering that they have not learned from it
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:Right now with tie breakers we sit in 5th place for the conference tourney. That would mean a game vs Washington on Wednesday. A very tough road trip this week where I would take a split and be very happy. So many lost opportunities. The mental toughness of this team should have been forged in these tough losses but it is bewildering that they have not learned from it
A lot of issues:

-Nico ended up not being as instant-impact as many expected; he's not a bad player, far from it; he's just immature and inconsistent
-Chase has been a non-factor; maybe he never fully recovered from injuries
-Smith is inconsistent AF and has played poorly in most of our big games
-our FT shooting has cost us multiple games
-not having Stone for that stretch ended up being a bigger deal than we anticipated
-Baker and Hazzard have been hot and cold, so our bench depth has been shaky
-Miller under-utilizes Lee and Koloko
-generally speaking, this is not a good offensive team; no clutch shooters, no high percentage perimeter shooters

As disappointing as all of this is, I still wouldn't put this above the Ayton season. For me, that was the most disappointing of Miller's tenure at AZ.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I see the top of the conference finishing like this:

Oregon 13-5
UCLA 13-5
ASU 13-5
Colorado 13-5
Arizona 12-6
USC 8-10
Stanford 8-10
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote:I see the top of the conference finishing like this:

Oregon 13-5
UCLA 13-5
ASU 13-5
Colorado 13-5
Arizona 12-6
USC 8-10
Stanford 8-10
I mean, not to belabor this, but in a year with this recruiting class, to finish behind UCLA and ASU is...for lack of a better term...pretty fucking terrible.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Three points from 15-3 and all games where we had the lead very late. I agree that this year is no where as disappointing as the Ayton year but the losses we have incurred are far more difficult to digest
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Beachcat97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
eoe wrote:

Do all of the “realistic” (negative, pessimistic) fans keep downing their favorite team just so they can cheer one way or the other? If we win, wow what a turn of events. If we lose, I told you so. Just stop. You should be hopeful for your “favorite” sports team. Not doom and gloom all the time.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What’s there to be hopeful for?

The only consistency with this team, this year, is consistently underperforming to the level of talent on the team.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

If we go for 5th in the pac, we play Washington back to back games. Unless they somehow miraculously pull off a 3 game win streak. Then we might get wazzu or the beavs.

If we go out of the PAC tourney early, we get a crummy seed but also get some rest.

Still hopeful that we can string together 4 or 5 really strong games for the NCAA tourney.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

CalStateTempe wrote:What’s there to be hopeful for?

The only consistency with this team, this year, is consistently underperforming to the level of talent on the team.
Then why do you watch? You clearly have some glimmer of hope. But to constantly bash the team, coach and program the way some posters do is bizarre to me. If you don’t like the coach, I get it. He has his deficiencies. But who doesn’t? We are 3 1-point games away from being 12-2 in conference. If we win those three games (that, I repeat, were ONE-POINT games) how are you feeling about the team? What would our projected seed be? You shouldn’t be filled with doom and gloom about a team because of 3 damn points. Is it frustrating? Absolutely. But I still have hope and so should the rest of you.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Seriously!!! Right on!!!

WTF chance would a fifth place team in the Pac have anyway???
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:

Then why do you watch? You clearly have some glimmer of hope. But to constantly bash the team, coach and program the way some posters do is bizarre to me. If you don’t like the coach, I get it. He has his deficiencies. But who doesn’t? We are 3 1-point games away from being 12-2 in conference. If we win those three games (that, I repeat, were ONE-POINT games) how are you feeling about the team? What would our projected seed be? You shouldn’t be filled with doom and gloom about a team because of 3 damn points. Is it frustrating? Absolutely. But I still have hope and so should the rest of you.
Exactly. This team does everything well except putting it all together every game. There is no flaw with this team except consistency which is expect with so many new players and freshmen.

Also UA is the 2nd best FT shooting team in the conference and UA lost those three games due to missed FTs. Sucks but it means the team is so close to turning it on completely and every team in America fears Arizona when that happens
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:Exactly. This team does everything well except putting it all together every game. There is no flaw with this team except consistency which is expect with so many new players and freshmen.

Also UA is the 2nd best FT shooting team in the conference and UA lost those three games due to missed FTs. Sucks but it means the team is so close to turning it on completely and every team in America fears Arizona when that happens
This AZ team is close to perfect, you see. Except for the things that make us not perfect.

Statistically, we are f*cking awesome, you see. Numbers don't lie. Our W-L record is an illusion.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Captain Obvious wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Here:

Ain't happenin. No way. Last night's choke job was our last shot at getting a decent seed. And after we get swept by the L.A. schools I think we end up as an 8 or 9 seed. Based on our pathetically weak resume we'll probably be fortunate to get that. Wouldn't be at all surprised if we lose in game 1 in both the conference and NCAA tournaments. This team just doesn't have it. I'm not trying to be negative, I'm being realistic. NET rankings and Kenpom stats don't change the fact that we're not very good. A little above average and that's about it. Take it for what it is. There is no silver lining.
I don't think (?) I've been outright publicly frustrated with a poster other than Machina/PHX on any of these boards. AND, we even managed to patch that up. Thanks you goofy f'r MacPhx. But I now believe Captain Obvious to be the worst kind of troll. "I'm not trying to be negative"????? Bruh...you've never been anything but. And now I'm gonna have to go soak up some of this beautiful day because frankly sir - I just can't with you. And only you.

CHEERS!

BDV
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Exactly. This team does everything well except putting it all together every game. There is no flaw with this team except consistency which is expect with so many new players and freshmen.

This AZ team is close to perfect, you see. Except for the things that make us not perfect.

Statistically, we are f*cking awesome, you see. Numbers don't lie. Our W-L record is an illusion.
Disagree. The flaw with this team is its youth and inability to close out: that means getting a stop and rebound when you absolutely have to or getting a bucket or getting some points on an offensive trip. In a tight game, when you need to make a play we're leaving too many possessions up to chance and hoping for the best. That's where our inexperience is showing -- and hurting. It's a mental toughness thing and shouldn't be surprising with our three frosh. But eventually it's time to mature and close things out. You're only as good as your last game. You can say, "oh, we're battle tested so we'll be fine. All that does is prepare you for what's required the next time you're in a tough situation. But you still have to go do it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote: But you still have to go do it.
Getting awfully close to the end of the road for this team. The "do it" part had better start soon.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
eoe wrote:

Do you realize they were playing the number 14 team in the country? Arizona has two losses that are absolutely terrible. St John's and Arizona State's comeback (although they are leading the PAC). The UCLA victory was the worst shooting in McKale ever but who knows may that was UCLA's defense. I don't expect a sweep this week I'm hoping for a split. It will be incredibly hard to sweep. There are only 3 sweeps in the PAC that I can think of on the road. Arizona has two, Ariz St. has the other. I'm not sure about last week but maybe their is another one now. Winning on the road is incredibly hard this year. That still will not cause me to dismiss the players or a coach that demonstrated his worth over and over. Some people said WOjo as an option.....the guy has a 48% winning average....I don't think he has been beyond the 64 round in the tourney. Let's go DWWD and get another road sweep.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

TheCat wrote: Do you realize they were playing the number 14 team in the country? Arizona has two losses that are absolutely terrible. St John's and Arizona State's comeback (although they are leading the PAC). The UCLA victory was the worst shooting in McKale ever but who knows may that was UCLA's defense. I don't expect a sweep this week I'm hoping for a split. It will be incredibly hard to sweep. There are only 3 sweeps in the PAC that I can think of on the road. Arizona has two, Ariz St. has the other. I'm not sure about last week but maybe their is another one now. Winning on the road is incredibly hard this year. That still will not cause me to dismiss the players or a coach that demonstrated his worth over and over. Some people said WOjo as an option.....the guy has a 48% winning average....I don't think he has been beyond the 64 round in the tourney. Let's go DWWD and get another road sweep.
Yeah I'm sure it was that vaunted 125th-best-in-the-nation-according-to-Kenpom defense.

Winning on the road is hard every year.

What is winning average?

What is the 64 round?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So we enter the week at the 6-seed range, by most estimates.

Two wins this week easily moves us up to the 5 line.

One win probably holds us steady at the 6.

Two losses drops us down a line or two.

This week is critical because next week's games vs. the Washington schools probably won't move the needle all that much.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

rgdeuce wrote:
TheCat wrote: Do you realize they were playing the number 14 team in the country? Arizona has two losses that are absolutely terrible. St John's and Arizona State's comeback (although they are leading the PAC). The UCLA victory was the worst shooting in McKale ever but who knows may that was UCLA's defense. I don't expect a sweep this week I'm hoping for a split. It will be incredibly hard to sweep. There are only 3 sweeps in the PAC that I can think of on the road. Arizona has two, Ariz St. has the other. I'm not sure about last week but maybe their is another one now. Winning on the road is incredibly hard this year. That still will not cause me to dismiss the players or a coach that demonstrated his worth over and over. Some people said WOjo as an option.....the guy has a 48% winning average....I don't think he has been beyond the 64 round in the tourney. Let's go DWWD and get another road sweep.
Yeah I'm sure it was that vaunted 125th-best-in-the-nation-according-to-Kenpom defense.

What is winning average?

What is the 64 round?
On February 4th, UCLA's defense was ranked 181 on Kenpom. It only took six games to climb 56 spots. The current ranking is weighed down heavily by the performance of last year's team and this year's pre-conference results.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Bruins01 wrote: On February 4th, UCLA's defense was ranked 181 on Kenpom. It only took six games to climb 56 spots. The current ranking is weighed down heavily by the performance of last year's team and this year's pre-conference results.
It's much easier to just dismiss UCLA altogether than address their immense improvement in the second half of the year :roll:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Bruins01 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

What is winning average?

What is the 64 round?
On February 4th, UCLA's defense was ranked 181 on Kenpom. It only took six games to climb 56 spots. The current ranking is weighed down heavily by the performance of last year's team and this year's pre-conference results.
And those 56 spots they climbed in that period were heavily influenced by a then top 10 offense laying an absolute egg at home, no? Also, same UCLA team that gave up 84 points to ASU just two days prior?
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Lunardi has Arizona as a 6 in his latest version (against Rutgers)
Palm has Arizona as a 8 seed in his latest version (against LSU)
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Bracketmatrix has us as a 7.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What does Machinacology have us at? 4 seed? 3?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We got swept and our Net rating went up. :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

I think a 7 is most likely, but we have a shot at a 5 if we win out.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Dosia wrote:I think a 7 is most likely, but we have a shot at a 5 if we win out.
Agreed. Depending who we would beat on the way through the P12 tourney, MAYBE a 4. But that’s if we blow out Colorado, Oregon & UCLA. Doubt we would get all 3 though. If we blow out all 3 or 2 of them and win the tourney, I don’t care what our seed is, no one would want to play us. BUT I don’t expect that to happen. Just hopeful. Lol. My best guess is we end up winning 2 games in p12 tourney as the 4 seed, and end up a 6 seed.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m gonna love visiting McKale and looking to the rafters in a misty eyed gaze at the 2019-20, NET score banner.