Official Bracketology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:14 am QUESTION: How does the #2 team in a mediocre conference get rewarded with a #1 seed in the NCAA Tourney?
The season isn’t just what a team does in its conference and there have to be four teams that are also better in the eyes of the committee than that #2 team in that mediocre conference you described.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:40 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:37 pm
pc in NM wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:14 pm
Alieberman wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:21 am
pc in NM wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:14 am QUESTION: How does the #2 team in a mediocre conference get rewarded with a #1 seed in the NCAA Tourney?
Easy…. The selection committee determines they deserve it
While factually accurate, it explains nothing.

How does the committee justify the selection?

And, since this is a discussion forum, how about discussing?
Non conference wins at Duke, neutral vs Michigan State and Alabama and blowing out Wisconsin
Good wins! Yes! But, this is merely a list, and neither an explanation nor a justification.
It is 100% the reason why UA is still a 1 seed or the highest 2 seed
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

PHXCATS wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:17 pm
Alieberman wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:21 am

Easy…. The selection committee determines they deserve it

Non conference wins at Duke, neutral vs Michigan State and Alabama and blowing out Wisconsin
Good wins! Yes! But, this is merely a list, and neither an explanation nor a justification.
As a bona-fide old timer, I remember when the tourney was only for conference champions and a few select independents. That was a big factor in Wooden's UCLA 10 championships.

Conference performance meant something. (And, so did the NIT, actually)

Now TV rules! The first weekend, and even some Sweet 16, are more valued, and publicized, than the actual championship, by the media...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:50 pm

As a bona-fide old timer, I remember when the tourney was only for conference champions and a few select independents. That was a big factor in Wooden's UCLA 10 championships.

Now TV rules! The first weekend, and even some Sweet 16, are more valued, and publicized, than the actual championship, by the media...
Ok that's cool for then. But this is today and today these are the rules and guidelines today. Maybe in 1975 UA wouldnt be a 1 seed but today they absolutely are
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Captain Obvious wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:59 pm
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:01 pm Field of 68 consensus bracket still has us as a 1 seed.
247 Sports has North Carolina taking over the number 1 seed from Arizona. I concur.
Do me a favor and shove a habanero pepper up your ass.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I’ve noticed PC isn’t actually making an argument for other teams to be a #1
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

So we are still the only team still top 15 in o&d at kenpom.

Now we are top 10 in both!!!!!!
It would surprise me if the only team in that category was not a 1 seed.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

PHXCATS wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:07 pm

Ok that's cool for then. But this is today and today these are the rules and guidelines today. Maybe in 1975 UA wouldnt be a 1 seed but today they absolutely are
Again, factually incorrect. Arizona is NOT "absolutely" a #1 seed today. "Today", there are no seeds - only guesses.

There "absolutely" will be 4 #1 seeds when the committee announces its selections on March 17th. Until then we can all make guesses, read others' guesses, and/ or discuss potential selections... :!: :roll:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:56 pm

Again, factually incorrect. Arizona is NOT "absolutely" a #1 seed today. "Today", there are no seeds - only guesses.

There "absolutely" will be 4 #1 seeds when the committee announces its selections on March 17th. Until then we can all make guesses, read others' guesses, and/ or discuss potential selections... :!: :roll:
A week ago the committee said we were #4 by a wide margin. This was not a guess
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There’s literally never been as much transparency into the committee’s thinking and process as there is right now. We will know exactly where we stand throughout the next three weeks.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:02 pm

:lol: Well, as they say, "That was then, and this is now!" :lol:

― Kinky Friedman
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Congrats to Caleb for reaching 2000 points. That is just amazing. What's interesting is Caleb Love is the best player on the team and also the reason this team probably won't get past the first round. Teams will either let him score and shut down the rest of the team or take the opposite approach. Arizona is too predictable and one dimensional. Very easy to scout. Even Kelvin Sampson mentioned this a couple years ago when Houston dominated us in the Sweet 16. Not much has changed. Tommy has to be able to rotate players and make in game adjustments. He hasn't convinced me he has the ability to do that. As much as he's making he needs to figure it out.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys have ol' cappy on ignore?

I'm getting close, but fortunately I've been checking my blood pressure in the mornings and it's very normal, it's only at the doctor's office and when I'm responding to his backhanded compliments that are actually insults that I get riled up. As much as I'd like to hit ignore, something about that surge of angst makes me feel alive!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:49 pm

So now that U of A is #1 in the PAC-12 again are they a #1 seed?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:40 pm Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys have ol' cappy on ignore?

I'm getting close, but fortunately I've been checking my blood pressure in the mornings and it's very normal, it's only at the doctor's office and when I'm responding to his backhanded compliments that are actually insults that I get riled up. As much as I'd like to hit ignore, something about that surge of angst makes me feel alive!
I don't have Constable Cockholster on ignore, but he's not as much fun to shit on as he used to be.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

PHXCATS wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:58 pm

I would make them a #1 seed on my imaginary daily, self-absorbed, bracketology...

... except I don't really give a shyte about seeding until selection Sunday.

I do pay attention to likely location, and, today, I'm confident that Arizona will play in SLC, and LA (if they cover).

― Kinky Friedman
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:31 pm

I would make them a #1 seed on my imaginary daily, self-absorbed, bracketology...

I do pay attention to likely location, and, today, I'm confident that Arizona will play in SLC, and LA (if they cover).
Yes they are 99.999999% locked into the West and SLC for the first two rounds
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

PHXCATS wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:36 pm

Good discussion requires that you submit your math! :lol:

― Kinky Friedman
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:09 pm
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:40 pm Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys have ol' cappy on ignore?

I don't have Constable Cockholster on ignore, but he's not as much fun to shit on as he used to be.
He needs to step up his game. I think this is a significant problem for us going forward.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I love how obsessed Beachcat97 is with me

You so special darling. Glad you care so much

Kisses
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:39 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:36 pm

Good discussion requires that you submit your math! :lol:
UA would need to lose every game the rest of the way and a bunch of others would need to win out except when they play each other to not
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Got bumped down to 12 in D in kenpom.
Just trying to be transparent.
-Norlander.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Do we want to play in LA?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Postmaster wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:14 pm Do we want to play in LA?
Yes

100% yes
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

We do not do well in LA for tourney games.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TheCat wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:09 pm We do not do well in LA for tourney games.
Only if we are counting Anaheim as part of LA.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

That is true.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

UofA still #1 in the West but Iowa State has replaced Kansas as the #2 seed in the West.
https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story ... redictions
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Does anyone have "protected seeds" they're hoping to avoid?

The more I watch Houston, the more I think they're FF bound. Only thing that can derail them is an ice-cold shooting game, which hasn't happened to them often.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

There is less than a 1% of 1% chance UA plays Houston before the final four
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Jerry Palm has the UA as a #2 seed with not so good chances to reach the 1 line.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... ff1d3&ei=8

We have had a good idea which teams will fill the top three spots for a little while. Purdue, UConn and Houston have separated themselves from the rest of the bracket to the point that if they each lost twice more, they would still be the top three teams in the bracket.

However, the battle for the fourth No. 1 seed is going to be tight and will be heating up this weekend.

I currently have North Carolina in that spot, but the Tar Heels hold on it is tenuous.

The team with the best chance to run UNC down is No. 2 seed Tennessee. The Vols have three Quad 1 games left on their regular-season schedule, plus the SEC Tournament. With the quality of the SEC this season, that could mean a couple of more Quad 1 wins. Of course, a schedule like that can be a blessing or a curse. The Vols could get buried by it, but I like their chances of navigating it mostly successfully.
Tennessee is at No. 3 seed Alabama this weekend. The Crimson Tide has a chance to push for a No. 2 seed.

Marquette is also in a good conference that gives the Golden Eagles a shot at the fourth No. 1 seed. They have three Quad 1 games left in the regular season starting Saturday at Creighton. They also face No.1 seed UConn at home. The Big East Tournament should provide some résumé-building chances as well.

Arizona is not so lucky. The Wildcats only have Quad 2 games remaining in the regular season and won't get more than one Quad 1 game in the Pac-12 Tournament. Their chances for upward mobility are more likely to depend on the misfortune of others.

North Carolina is a little better off than Arizona. The Tar Heels have one Quad 1 game left (at Duke) in their traditional season-ending game. Clemson and Wake Forest are also solid potential Quad 1 opponents in the ACC Tournament.

Being the fourth No. 1 seed may come with some prestige, but for all of them except Arizona, being sent to the West Regional far away from your fans may not be a desired outcome. The Wildcats will likely end up in the West Regional as either a No. 1 or a No. 2 seed.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If Tenn wins out they deserve the one seed. They are really starting to play well especially on the offensive side.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Jerry Palm is a moron. Unless we have a stupid loss in one of our last games we're still a 1 seed.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

TheCat wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:09 pm We do not do well in LA for tourney games.
We don't do well anywhere for tourney games. I don't care what seed we get because it doesn't matter. Historically we're a horrible tournament team. Getting eliminated in the first game is a tradition with U of A basketball. This year will be no different. One and done.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:52 am
We don't do well anywhere for tourney games. I don't care what seed we get because it doesn't matter. Historically we're a horrible tournament team. Getting eliminated in the first game is a tradition with U of A basketball. This year will be no different. One and done.
I guess your post-win self-imposed ban is over, huh? Welcome back from under that bridge.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Captain Obvious wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:52 am < pointless drivel removed >
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The LA and Anaheim bullshit is just that....bullshit. it helps Arizona. Period. Point blank. More fans and short travel. Nothing more than that
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:52 am
WOW. Now I feel much better. Thanks Cappy.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

See how nuanced, brilliant, and ever-changing Constable Cockholster is? Who would want to squander such a contribution?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

CBS has Tennessee #1 in the West and the UofA #2.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... cketology/
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m 100% positive Tennessee doesn’t want us in their bracket no matter where they are seeded.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Irish27 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:07 am CBS has Tennessee #1 in the West and the UofA #2.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... cketology/
Tennessee plays in a good league; we do not.

We're still the 4th #1 as of now, but if we give the committee even the slightest reason to knock us down to a 2, they will. Tennessee and UNC have to keep playing well, of course, but I see no reason to expect they won't.

Lots of potential for current AZ players to face old teams in the tourney this year: UNC, SDSU, Bama, maybe even Gonzaga.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I could see us matched vs Gonzaga in a second round game. Committee would love that although I doubt they would put us in Spokane against them.

I think we have to win out the regular season for the 1 seed. Of course I assume that thinking both NC and UT will keep winning also
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:53 am I could see us matched vs Gonzaga in a second round game. Committee would love that although I doubt they would put us in Spokane against them.

I think we have to win out the regular season for the 1 seed. Of course I assume that thinking both NC and UT will keep winning also
Tennessee remaining schedule: @South Carolina, Kentucky

UNC remaining schedule: Notre Dame, @Duke

I'd be a little surprised if we, UNC and Tennessee all go 2-0 next week.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I feel like Tennessee and us are looking very likely to be 1/2 in the West… in whatever order

I just hope if the committee does put Tennessee up to the #1 line that they don’t give them the south and move Houston to the West
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:11 pm I feel like Tennessee and us are looking very likely to be 1/2 in the West… in whatever order

I just hope if the committee does put Tennessee up to the #1 line that they don’t give them the south and move Houston to the West
They won't. Houston and Tennessee are not close in the eyes of the committee
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I understand that but it could make geographical sense
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:52 pm I understand that but it could make geographical sense
You're not looking at this through the eyes of the committee, Alie.