Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone know the tip time for Saturday?
g32knights

Post by g32knights »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:15 pm Anyone know the tip time for Saturday?
First game of the day, 12:45 EST, so is that 10:45 in Salt Lake?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

g32knights wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:16 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:15 pm Anyone know the tip time for Saturday?
First game of the day, 12:45 EST, so is that 10:45 in Salt Lake?
It is. Utah is an hour ahead of us this time of year.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Has anyone seen Charles Barkleys NCAA bracket predictions???

https://www.oregonlive.com/collegebaske ... -game.html
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:54 pm Has anyone seen Charles Barkleys NCAA bracket predictions???

Charles always supports us every year. Nice to have one guy with our back.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

His daughter was a student at the UA of memory serves
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

AZCatGirl wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:21 pm
dmjcat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:54 pm Has anyone seen Charles Barkleys NCAA bracket predictions???

Charles always supports us every year. Nice to have one guy with our back.
Some might see it as a curse
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is there a team you've watched in the tourney that you thought to yourself, "yeah, Arizona couldn't beat these guys"?

Of the teams remaining, I feel like UConn and Houston are scariest. The only reason I leave off Purdue is because I can't see Loyer and Smith going 9-16 from 3 again against us. Tommy would have our guys better prepared to watch those shooters. We were within 4 of the Boilermakers with 5 minutes to play. On a "neutral" court in Phoenix, I'd love our chances against them.

Clingan, to me, is the best player remaining in the tournament. He's equally impactful on both ends of the floor, and our only player who'd stand a chance guarding him is Keshad.

And with Houston, I'm just in awe of their steady play and execution. Even as A&M chipped away at Houston's lead yesterday, did anyone ever really feel like the Cougs would lose? Sharp, Shead, Cryer...that's the best backcourt in the country.
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:17 pm Is there a team you've watched in the tourney that you thought to yourself, "yeah, Arizona couldn't beat these guys"?

Of the teams remaining, I feel like UConn and Houston are scariest. The only reason I leave off Purdue is because I can't see Loyer and Smith going 9-16 from 3 again against us. Tommy would have our guys better prepared to watch those shooters. We were within 4 of the Boilermakers with 5 minutes to play. On a "neutral" court in Phoenix, I'd love our chances against them.

Clingan, to me, is the best player remaining in the tournament. He's equally impactful on both ends of the floor, and our only player who'd stand a chance guarding him is Keshad.

And with Houston, I'm just in awe of their steady play and execution. Even as A&M chipped away at Houston's lead yesterday, did anyone ever really feel like the Cougs would lose? Sharp, Shead, Cryer...that's the best backcourt in the country.
If we play like we did for most of the first half of the Dayton game, and how we've seen in stretches throughout the season, I think we have a shot against any team in a 1 game scenario.

I agree that UCONN and Houston are scary good. Would love for a matchup with either of them to be title game, but unfortunately can't be the case for UCONN!

Houston's guard play is something to see for sure, I didn't think Houston would lose either - felt like anytime A&M made a run or had a chance that it was shut down by a big play from Houston. Even with a bunch of their starters fouling out in OT they still managed to hang on too.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

It’s crazy the path Sampson has traveled.
While at WA ST he was a popular choice to replace Lute if Lute had left for KY.
Instead he goes to OK and things don’t go that well.
He gets in trouble with NCAA. Then he appears at HOU and turns them into a contender for multiple years.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:54 am It’s crazy the path Sampson has traveled.
He gets in trouble with NCAA. Then he appears at HOU and turns them into a contender for multiple years.
I'm impressed with the identity he's brought to the Houston program. He's been recruiting the right players for that program, and they're thriving. Can't believe they also had Sasser last year.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:54 am It’s crazy the path Sampson has traveled.
He got a show cause ban at Indiana. It was really fucked up.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

wyo-cat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:10 pm
He got a show cause ban at Indiana. It was really fucked up.
I forgot IU. I was thinking he got a “show cause” but I wasn’t positive so I didn’t add it in my post. I was also thinking, if he did , it was at OU.
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

Purdue is 7-0 against Sweet 16 teams.

Crazy stat!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Our 3 transfers from this season came from Alabama, UNC & SDSU . Those teams are all in the Sweet 16
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Here are the 2024 sweet sixteen TEAM rankings. Each and every player is given a "value" determined by his Hollinger PER multiplied by the PERCENT of minutes he has played for the team. The TEAM value is the sum of the player values.

2087 UConn
2051 Gonzaga
1984 Purdue
1927 Houston
1918 Arizona
1916 Duke
1914 Alabama
1884 Illinois
1858 Creighton
1820 Marquette
1806 Iowa State
1789 Tennessee
1788 North Carolina
1729 Clemson
1720 NC State
1682 San Diego State

Arizona should reach the Elite Eight tomorrow.
Don't be surprised if the "Caleb Love" game with North Carolina never happens - Arizona could end up with a worse matchup vs. Alabama.
Don't be surprised if Zach Edey never sees an Elite Eight. Gonzaga was seriously under-seeded this year.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m good with all those outcomes Kaibab’
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

This is a pretty big boy loaded sweet 16. Cindarella is watching at home
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

KaibabKat wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:11 pm Here are the 2024 sweet sixteen TEAM rankings. Each and every player is given a "value" determined by his Hollinger PER multiplied by the PERCENT of minutes he has played for the team. The TEAM value is the sum of the player values.

2087 UConn
2051 Gonzaga
1984 Purdue
1927 Houston
1918 Arizona
1916 Duke
1914 Alabama
1884 Illinois
1858 Creighton
1820 Marquette
1806 Iowa State
1789 Tennessee
1788 North Carolina
1729 Clemson
1720 NC State
1682 San Diego State

Don't be surprised if the "Caleb Love" game with North Carolina never happens - Arizona could end up with a worse matchup vs. Alabama.
Don't be surprised if Zach Edey never sees an Elite Eight. Gonzaga was seriously under-seeded this year.
I'm fine with the less heralded "Jaden Bradley" game with Alabama this weekend.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Alabama does make me a little nervous since we beat them before, but with a Final 4 on the line I think our guys will be ready no matter who we play.

Gotta take care of tomorrow first though.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

UNC will beat Bama in a high scoring game

Our game is going to be close but I do think we win. Clemson is only 8-8 when they score 73 points but 15-3 when the control tempo. Couple that with a brutal travel schedule and they will be walking it up the court all night.

Not sure how they have held their opposition in this tournament to 9-47 from three but since we generally don’t take a lot of three’s (ranked like 250+) this would be another readon thus one should stay close.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

When I hear National pundits talk about this game it becomes clear that they really don’t watch Arizona. Just “Caleb love experience” and Clemson with the upset.

🤮
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CalStateTempe wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am When I hear National pundits talk about this game it becomes clear that they really don’t watch Arizona. Just “Caleb love experience” and Clemson with the upset.

🤮
Hmmm...

I have yet to see a national pundit pick Clemson. In any case, so the fuck what?

Most of the pundits I've seen focus on Ballo vs Hall; Clemson's lack of forcing TO's, Our offensive rebounding, and our 8-man depth

We're playing the second lowest seed in the Sweet 16.

If we play our game, we adevance.

BTFD!!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Winger

Post by Winger »

KaibabKat wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:11 pm Here are the 2024 sweet sixteen TEAM rankings. Each and every player is given a "value" determined by his Hollinger PER multiplied by the PERCENT of minutes he has played for the team. The TEAM value is the sum of the player values.

2087 UConn
2051 Gonzaga
1984 Purdue
1927 Houston
1918 Arizona
1916 Duke
1914 Alabama
1884 Illinois
1858 Creighton
1820 Marquette
1806 Iowa State
1789 Tennessee
1788 North Carolina
1729 Clemson
1720 NC State
1682 San Diego State

First thought when I saw Gonzaga that high is that the data isn’t corrected for SOS?

I.e. it’s easier to put up good Hollinger numbers in the WCC than it is the ACC, B1G, B12, etc.
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 am UNC will beat Bama in a high scoring game

Our game is going to be close but I do think we win. Clemson is only 8-8 when they score 73 points but 15-3 when the control tempo. Couple that with a brutal travel schedule and they will be walking it up the court all night.

Not sure how they have held their opposition in this tournament to 9-47 from three but since we generally don’t take a lot of three’s (ranked like 250+) this would be another readon thus one should stay close.
Their defense didn't look outstanding in the Baylor game, I watched the whole thing. Baylor missed a lot of good looks from 3. Not sure about NM as I didn't see much of that game.

As you mentioned with three's not being our primary offense, I think we'll be in a good spot - don't force 3's, drive and kick out for good looks, work the matchups inside with Ballo etc.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

We are 7 point faves, we've covered our tourney games, if we keep that up we win.

Need to start covering by more than 1 though.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am We are 7 point faves, we've covered our tourney games, if we keep that up we win.

Need to start covering by more than 1 though.
Just win. I never bet on AZ, so the line is meaningless to me.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner