2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Irish27

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by Irish27 »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I know that's a "right now" estimation of the seeds but there is no way on God's green earth that Villanova is a 1-seed at the end of the season. They've played exactly two true road games so far this year, losing one to Seton Hall. Going forward, 8 of their last 14 games are on the road and I expect them to lose at least 3 or 4 of those.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Blown out yesterday ^

AZ now a #2 seed
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

The website with all of the brackets.........currently the Cats are a 2

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Not sure if that was published before or after last night's games but I have no idea why Arizona is moving down even though they are blowing teams out and why Kansas is now a 1-seed while struggling to put teams away.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Not sure if that was published before or after last night's games but I have no idea why Arizona is moving down even though they are blowing teams out and why Kansas is now a 1-seed while struggling to put teams away.
It was published on 1/26.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
It was published on 1/26.
Yeah, BUT it says the Bracketology was updated Jan. 29....... I just threw up in my mouth and it was the spicy crap that burns both ways! How the heck do those loser Jaycocks get a number 1 seed for barely beating a terrible TCU squad while we lose a spot to #3 for taking care of business (pounding the Bay Area).....seriously, I knew our turds at UNLV (humiliating loss) and OSU (bad loss due to their Jekyll and Hyde routine for home/away toughness) would come back to haunt us but this defies logic.

We don't deserve anything better than #2 but #3 is a joke! What kind of Upshaw drug cocktails are they binging on at CBS? Anyways, not that important now relative to how well the Cats are playing and throwing beat downs but a bit insulting from those media fools.

Bear Down and let's put a world class shock and awe on those OSU fools who bent over for those ASSU jokesters up North!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We've beaten our last 5 opponents by an average of 17 points, beating Utah who is #11 in the RPI, Stanford (#27), Oregon (#72), Colorado (#91), and California (#128) .

Kansas has gone 4-1 in their last five, winning by an average of 8 points. They've beaten #28 Texas, #32 OKState, #33 Oklahoma, #126 TCU, and lost to #15 ISU.

Average RPI ranking of Arizona's last 5 opponents - 66
Average RPI ranking of Kansas's last 5 opponents - 46

So I guess Palm must be leaning heavily on RPI and SOS to move Kansas to the 1 line. Still doesn't explain moving Arizona down to the 3 line. Duke should be on that 3 line. They've gone 3-3 over the past few weeks including an inexcusable loss to Miami at home.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not a chance KU gets a 1 seed. The vastly overrated Big 12 might get a lot of teams in but I can't see them getting a 1seed. The Zag would be more deserving. I think we slot in at 2. Just not enough quality left on our schedule to get a 1 spot
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Barring something strange, your number 1s are going to be UK, ACC Winner, Gonzaga, and either AZ (if they only lose once more and win the Pac tourney), Wisconsin, or ACC #2.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Barring something strange, your number 1s are going to be UK, ACC Winner, Gonzaga, and either AZ (if they only lose once more and win the Pac tourney), Wisconsin, or ACC #2.
I don't think Gonzaga and Arizona both get a 1 seed. If Gonzaga doesn't win out, I'm fairly certain they are a 2 seed since their RPI will fall out of the top-10.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Barring something strange, your number 1s are going to be UK, ACC Winner, Gonzaga, and either AZ (if they only lose once more and win the Pac tourney), Wisconsin, or ACC #2.
I don't think Gonzaga and Arizona both get a 1 seed. If Gonzaga doesn't win out, I'm fairly certain they are a 2 seed since their RPI will fall out of the top-10.
I think Zaga's gonna win out. If they do, they're a 1.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Can someone please advise/explain the difference / implications between a #1 and a #2 West Seeding for us? Thanks and Goodnight.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
If zags win out and get the #1, I think we're a #2 in the same region.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
If zags win out and get the #1, I think we're a #2 in the same region.
And I'd be totally fine with that. Would rather be a #2 in their region than in UK's or Duke's.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Can someone please advise/explain the difference / implications between a #1 and a #2 West Seeding for us? Thanks and Goodnight.
I don't think it matters. 3rd and 4th rounds are in LA no matter what your seed is. We're fine as long as we stay in the west.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

Have we ever advanced to the Final Four from the West bracket?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

waysouthcat wrote:Have we ever advanced to the Final Four from the West bracket?
Twice--1988 as a 1 seed and 1994 as a 2 seed.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology?i ... &year=2015

AZ now a 1 seed in the South, with Kansas as the 2, per Lunardi and ESPN...updated today.

Not that I love or even care for ESPN but I definitely don't respect any of the CBS NCAAB writers or their version of bracketology...they're all a bunch of goofballs to me.
Last edited by pokinmik on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

pokinmik wrote:http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology?i ... &year=2015

AZ now a 1 seed in the South, with Kansas as the 2, per Lunardi and ESPN...updated today.
that bracket wouldn't scare me any
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

And Utah as a 3 seed, Stanford as a 7 seed.

not that exciting for the Pac overall.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

Georgia Southern > Georgia > Louisville > Kansas
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

Louisville as a 4 isn't ideal. Kansas could be a tough one too. But honestly - if the Cats are playing their best ball & healthy no team "scares" me with the exception of Kentucky.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Duke is getting way too much respect still IMO. They're freaking tied for 6th in the ACC right now!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

Louisville as a 4 isn't ideal. Kansas could be a tough one too. But honestly - if the Cats are playing their best ball & healthy no team "scares" me with the exception of Kentucky.
gonna have tough games at some point, and louisville and kansas aren't particularly bad matchups for us.

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

pokinmik wrote:Duke is getting way too much respect still IMO. They're freaking tied for 6th in the ACC right now!
Going to keep on happening until K retires. Fortunately the selection committee isn't nearly as sentimental.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

All things being equal, we play in a tougher conference and beat the Zags head to head and we'd be number #2 in the west?

I'm cool with that. Zags are a sh*tty tourney team.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I like the bracket matrix.

http://bracketmatrix.com/
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

A Rick Pitino Louisville team (or just about any Pitino team period) in the sweet 16 is never ideal, though things wouldn't be too bad after that. I'd rather be in the East and have to worry about VCU/West VA in the sweet 16, and yes please to Maryland and Nova being the 3 and 2 seeds on the other side. The West with Iowa State/Providence being the likely sweet 16 matchup and Duke and Utah being the 2 and 3 on the other side is nice too.

I think we can afford a road loss at Utah and win the Pac 12 tourney and get that number 1 seed in the west. Gonzaga's cupcake conference schedule should penalize them and I dont see a "Big" win for them all year....

And how does Dana O'Neill have a vote on ESPN's power rankings? Broad's athletic experience is in high school field hockey........
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Duke may continue to drop some games in the next few weeks, but when the chips are on the table, they've got the best player in the country. And he's a dominant big man. If Duke is hitting their threes and defending well, they'll be a very tough out in the tourney.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Beachcat97 wrote: I think Zaga's gonna win out. If they do, they're a 1.
Only if we lose at least two more games. If we were to go 16-2 in the PAC and win the tourney, we will 100% leap them for the #1.

Can we do that, is the question.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Jerry Palm has Kansas as the #1 overall seed. Higher than the team that beat them by about a hundred earlier in the year.

Strangely, kenpom has Kansas at #12. You think Jerry just forgot to add the 2 after the 1?
Last edited by Puerco on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Neither Gonzaga nor Kansas are serious title contenders, regardless of seeding.

It's all about Kentucky, Duke, Arizona and the real team nobody talks about, Virginia. Dark horse for the championship and a FF matchup I'd love to see for the Cats if they can get that far.

Love that the ESPN brackets have Duke as a 2 seed out West only having to go through the Zags and Utah. Would love to see those matchups, but any Duke FF seed from the West should have to go through Arizona.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

catgrad97 wrote:Neither Gonzaga nor Kansas are serious title contenders, regardless of seeding.

It's all about Kentucky, Duke, Arizona and the real team nobody talks about, Virginia. Dark horse for the championship and a FF matchup I'd love to see for the Cats if they can get that far.

Love that the ESPN brackets have Duke as a 2 seed out West only having to go through the Zags and Utah. Would love to see those matchups, but any Duke FF seed from the West should have to go through Arizona.
Other than their past history, I don't know why you'd say Gonzaga isn't a contender at this point. They've looked pretty convincing, even against us in our house. They've got all the pieces. They're just going to struggle with playing crap competition for the next several weeks till the tourney starts, which sucks for them.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Other than their past history, I don't know why you'd say Gonzaga isn't a contender at this point. They've looked pretty convincing, even against us in our house. They've got all the pieces. They're just going to struggle with playing crap competition for the next several weeks till the tourney starts, which sucks for them.
I think you answered your own question. Playing cupcakes instead of a tough, or at least TOUGHER conference schedule does not help prepare you for that tournament. It's like swinging a 30-ounce bat all season and the playoffs come and you are swinging a 33-ounce bat. Still the same hitter, but you aren't used to playing tough teams.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Give us a 2 in the west over a 1 in the south any day
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We are a much different, more cohesive, and better TEAM now then when we played the Zags.

Next game, taking names and no prisoners, much different game and larger win for the CATS.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

catgrad97 wrote:Neither Gonzaga nor Kansas are serious title contenders, regardless of seeding.

You don't include Wisky in this? I know they lost Jackson but that offense is insanely good. I think they have a team better built to beat UK than we do since all 5 can shoot the 3.

And who isn't talking about Virginia? If people aren't talking about UK, they are talking about UVA. Not sure if it's different out there on the west coast or something...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:Jerry Palm has Kansas as the #1 overall seed. Higher than the team that beat them by about a hundred earlier in the year.

Strangely, kenpom has Kansas at #12. You think Jerry just forgot to add the 2 after the 1?
I think Palm just took the RPI rankings and filled in a grid. Guy probably did it while pinching a loaf.