Official Bracketology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

U.P. Zona Fan

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Yikes if we get Iowa st. As our 3 and Tenn as our 1.

We are good against good teams, we just need to pester the heck out of DK and give him some fouls, we have guys that can guard him, and we have our own 40% from 3 cold azz white boy as well. Plus he isn't the only one on our team that can score, we are good, I'm glad the narrative has died down a bit. We are good against high level competition. All the high level games we lost had multiple guys go red hot from 3, it could happen again. I don't see it from Tenn or Iowa st.
Also if we don't show up against Indiana st. We could lose that game as well.

We land in the west, we are the home team, and that makes me happy. Not much difference between the 1 and 3 seed this year I don't think.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Merkin wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:28 pm
Chicat wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:22 pm Every year I want to be a 1 seed . . . and then when we are I worry incessantly that we’ll be the first 1 to lose.
#16 University of Maryland-Baltimore County beat #1 Tony Bennett's Virginia a few years ago.

If UA loses as a #2 seed for the 3rd time, that will be one record that will not be broken in my lifetime.
And Purdue lost last year as a 1 seed to take the heat off of us after the Princeton debacle.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:40 am Yikes if we get Iowa st. As our 3 and Tenn as our 1.

We are good against good teams, we just need to pester the heck out of DK and give him some fouls, we have guys that can guard him, and we have our own 40% from 3 cold azz white boy as well. Plus he isn't the only one on our team that can score, we are good, I'm glad the narrative has died down a bit. We are good against high level competition. All the high level games we lost had multiple guys go red hot from 3, it could happen again. I don't see it from Tenn or Iowa st.

We land in the west, we are the home team, and that makes me happy. Not much difference between the 1 and 3 seed this year I don't think.
Not many people know about Indiana State but that is a high seed that can do damage. Shooters and an effective center that doesn't look the part.
g32knights

Post by g32knights »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:40 am Yikes if we get Iowa st. As our 3 and Tenn as our 1.

Neither of those teams really concern me. Tennessee is Knecht and not much else. Iowa St plays good defense, slows the game down, but can't score.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:17 pm
dmjcat wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:25 pm
Alieberman wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:05 am Looking at the Bracket Matrix this morning- AZ and Tennessee are in a statistical tie. Both at 1.5... meaning half of ratings has AZ as a 1 other half has Tenn as a 1
Bracket Matrix now has Tennessee as the clear #1 (overall #4) and the UA as a #2 seed (#5 overall).

That would put Tennessee as the #1 seed in the west and the UA as the #2........Don't anyone tell PHXCATS as he will have a heart attack as he has already declared that this can't happen.

I'm going to be a big time South Carolina fan tonight.
No. Not at what was said

Let's have honest conversations please
Bullshit. Thats exactly what was posted.

I can only conclude that:

1) You don't actually take the time to read posts before opening your mouth
2) You have serious reading comprehension issues
3) You are a troll
4) You are a blithering idiot
5) Some or all of the above

Once again, it is VERY possible that we could see a #4/#5 matchup in one of the regionals.........even if you don't understand it.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:30 am
Alieberman wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:05 am Looking at the Bracket Matrix this morning- AZ and Tennessee are in a statistical tie. Both at 1.5... meaning half of ratings has AZ as a 1 other half has Tenn as a 1
Bracket Matrix now has Tennessee as the clear #1 (overall #4) and the UA as a #2 seed (#5 overall).

That would put Tennessee as the #1 seed in the west and the UA as the #2........Don't anyone tell PHXCATS as he will have a heart attack as he has already declared that this can't happen.

No. Not at what was said

3) You are a troll

Once again, it is VERY possible that we could see a #4/#5 matchup in one of the regionals.........even if you don't understand it.
You said 4 automatically was matched up with 5. It isn't. It still could based on LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

Arizona is in the West. Period. End of story. No matter what seed or overall seed they are
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

PHXCATS wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:57 pm
dmjcat wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:50 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:20 pm
Alieberman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:52 pm I understand that but it could make geographical sense
You're not looking at this through the eyes of the committee, Alie.
Disagree. At the moment I think the UA/Tennessee are #4/#5 (or reverse of that) which absolutely means that they would be placed in the same bracket Tennessee would most certainly rather be in the UA's bracket than Houstons.
This is not correct. 4 does not automatically play 5. It all location and conferences.

5 will play in the location closest to them as long as the 1 seed in that region is not in the same conference
Hello McFly
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:36 am

No. Not at what was said

3) You are a troll

You said 4 automatically was matched up with 5. It isn't. It still could based on LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

Arizona is in the West. Period. End of story. No matter what seed or overall seed they are
Keep moving the goal posts idiot. Try actually reading posts BEFORE replying.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Only 11 more days to fight about seeding until actual seeding is done...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:52 am
PHXCATS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:36 am

No. Not at what was said

3) You are a troll

Keep moving the goal posts idiot. Try actually reading posts BEFORE replying.
dmjcat wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:02 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:57 pm
dmjcat wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:50 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:20 pm
Alieberman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:52 pm I understand that but it could make geographical sense
You're not looking at this through the eyes of the committee, Alie.
Disagree. At the moment I think the UA/Tennessee are #4/#5 (or reverse of that) which absolutely means that they would be placed in the same bracket Tennessee would most certainly rather be in the UA's bracket than Houstons.
This is not correct. 4 does not automatically play 5. It all location and conferences.

5 will play in the location closest to them as long as the 1 seed in that region is not in the same conference
Wrong again PHXCATS.

In this case there is only 1 #1 (or #2) seed located in the west (the UA). This means that one of the other #2/#1 seeds have to be shipped out west. Since the UA/Tenn are #4/#5 in almost all brackets pairing the two of them make perfect sense.
You can admit your mistake at anytime
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If UA is the overall 4 and 1 in the West the 2 in the West will be the 8th overall seed

If UA is 5th 6th 7th or 8th overall they will be the 2 in the West vs the 4th overall because of LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If Tennessee is the 4th overall seed (Final 1 seed) UA will be in their region (West) no matter what. If UA is 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th or 12th overall seed.

If UA is the #1 seed in the West. The only chance Tennessee is in the West is if Tennessee drops to the 8th overall (final 2 seed).
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:03 am If UA is the overall 4 and 1 in the West the 2 in the West will be the 8th overall seed

If UA is 5th 6th 7th or 8th overall they will be the 2 in the West vs the 4th overall because of LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
If UA is the overall 4 and 1 in the West the 2 in the West will be the 8th overall seed

Not necessarily..........keep digging that grave deeper
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:08 am If Tennessee is the 4th overall seed (Final 1 seed) UA will be in their region (West) no matter what. If UA is 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th or 12th overall seed.

If UA is the #1 seed in the West. The only chance Tennessee is in the West is if Tennessee drops to the 8th overall (final 2 seed).
If Tennessee is the 4th overall seed (Final 1 seed) UA will be in their region (West) no matter what. If UA is 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th or 12th overall seed.

So you are changing your mind again?? This would potentially be a 4/5 matchup.......which you said wasn't going to happen
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:21 am
PHXCATS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:03 am If UA is the overall 4 and 1 in the West the 2 in the West will be the 8th overall seed

Not necessarily..........keep digging that grave deeper
It will be because LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:22 am
PHXCATS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:08 am If Tennessee is the 4th overall seed (Final 1 seed) UA will be in their region (West) no matter what. If UA is 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th or 12th overall seed.

So you are changing your mind again?? This would potentially be a 4/5 matchup.......which you said wasn't going to happen
Never changed my mind. Maybe actually read. I said 4/5 is NOT AUTOMATIC and it is all about LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:39 am
dmjcat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:22 am

Never changed my mind. Maybe actually read. I said 4/5 is NOT AUTOMATIC and it is all about LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
Keep moving the goalposts.

At least we have you now admitting that #4/#5 in the west is possible..........which is a distinct improvement from the weekend.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

For fuck sake I never said it wasn't possible and I quoted multiple times where I said AUTOMATIC

You are truly special princess
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:43 am
PHXCATS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:39 am DRIVEL
MORE DRIVEL
g32knights

Post by g32knights »

Alright, now the pissing contest is hopefully let's get back to the topic at hand.

If Tennessee beats Kentucky on Saturday I don't really see a path to the Cats being a 1 seed, regardless of what happens in the conference tournaments.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

g32knights wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:03 pm Alright, now the pissing contest is hopefully let's get back to the topic at hand.

If Tennessee beats Kentucky on Saturday I don't really see a path to the Cats being a 1 seed, regardless of what happens in the conference tournaments.
Cats would still have a better Quad1 record though, right? So I can see UA still getting the 1.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
g32knights

Post by g32knights »

Chicat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:13 pm
g32knights wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:03 pm Alright, now the pissing contest is hopefully let's get back to the topic at hand.

Cats would still have a better Quad1 record though, right? So I can see UA still getting the 1.
Tennessee would be 9-5 Cats would be 7-3 before the conference tournaments. I think the separator right now is the Oregon St loss. That's the only Quad 3 loss in the top 14 NET teams.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:13 pm

Doesn't UT have a chance to get 3 or 4 more quad 1 wins though?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

No. We control our fate. If we don't lose again before Selection Sunday, we're a 1 seed, regardless of what Tennessee does.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

g32knights wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:24 pm Tennessee would be 9-5 Cats would be 7-3 before the conference tournaments. I think the separator right now is the Oregon St loss. That's the only Quad 3 loss in the top 14 NET teams.
Great point
azgreg wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:19 pm Doesn't UT have a chance to get 3 or 4 more quad 1 wins though?
I won’t pretend to know how the SEC tourney sets up, but based on conference strengths they obviously have more opportunities for better wins down the stretch. Thanks for nothing PAC-12!

Looks like my hopes for a 1 seed rest on the tourney committee wanting an actual western team at the top of the West bracket.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:27 pm

No. We control our fate. If we don't lose again before Selection Sunday, we're a 1 seed, regardless of what Tennessee does.
There is no way you can say that with any type of certainty
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

The regular season matters. If we hadn't lost to Oregon St, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Here is the record of 1 seeds & 2 seeds.

No. 1 500-128 Champions (25 times)
No. 2 354-147 Champions (five times)

This is why teams covet 1 seeds as much as they do. Of course it's more about matchups but ultimately, 1 seeds win more games because they are better teams
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sucks to be a 5 seed.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:42 pm

We're #4 in NET and #4 in the Selection Committee's own rankings. We can't fall in the rankings without losing, even if Tennessee wins out (which they won't).
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:18 pm

We're #4 in NET and #4 in the Selection Committee's own rankings. We can't fall in the rankings without losing, even if Tennessee wins out (which they won't).
Arizona has lost once since then while Tennessee has gone 6-0 including 3 ranked wins and 3 road wins (2 of which are ranked teams)

Maybe hunting all my posts has hurt your ability to think and find facts
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:25 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:18 pm

Arizona has lost once since then while Tennessee has gone 6-0 including 3 ranked wins and 3 road wins (2 of which are ranked teams)

Maybe hunting all my posts has hurt your ability to think and find facts
Nothing you said at all impacts what I said. You're just blathering.

Go Cats!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Merkin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:19 pm Sucks to be a 5 seed.

Because they are upset by the 12 about half the time LOL.

Those numbers tell you why we want the 1 line
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If you are playing Tennessee and they are the 1 and we are the 2 why does it matter? No difference if seeds hold. I would also tell you that the number 1 will feel more pressure in a close game in the early rounds. Also this year there is more parity than I can remember.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

TheCat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:56 pm If you are playing Tennessee and they are the 1 and we are the 2 why does it matter? No difference if seeds hold. I would also tell you that the number 1 will feel more pressure in a close game in the early rounds. Also this year there is more parity than I can remember.
Well, obviously, if seeds hold, the difference is getting by a #4 vs a #3 - usually a BIG difference...

... unless you're one of the best teams ever having to play a fifth place Pac-12 #4 seed!!!

Corrected - thanks
Last edited by pc in NM on Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

A 1 would match with a 4... a 2 would match with a 3
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:06 am A 1 would match with a 4... a 2 would match with a 3
Is that the new math I’m hearing about…
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:06 am A 1 would match with a 4... a 2 would match with a 3
So why do you worry about a Tenn one seed if you think we can't beat a 3. Doesn't matter.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If all the data tells us that a 1seed gets to the FF twice as much as a 2 seed, why the heck wouldn’t you want to be a 1 seed. It seems you should care
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:42 am If all the data tells us that a 1seed gets to the FF twice as much as a 2 seed, why the heck wouldn’t you want to be a 1 seed. It seems you should care
I'm kinda on the side of, it doesn't really matter what our seed ends up being. That data feels suspect to me, like it needs to be broken down further to really have any kind of predictive value.

We have a very good sense of who the field's top 16ish seeds are going to be, and we can look at that group and see where AZ could thrive and where we could struggle.

It would be great to avoid Purdue and Houston till the Final Four, but I say bring em on. If we wanna be national champs, we have to beat these teams.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

That's probably because of the difference between the better 1 seeds and lower 2 seeds more than the difference between the caliber of teams straddling the 1-2 cutoff.

Last year UConn was a wagon at the beginning of the year, had some adversity and the won the whole thing by 100 points a game in the tourney.
And all the talking heads were like "totally should have predicted that run."

I want to say the same thing about us in a month. I think it's doable, if these guys can stay composed and focused on winning the game they are in, I can see 10 more wins in a row.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Listening to radio this morning they had a handicapper on who yet trashed the cats and said I’m no way they should be a 1 seed.

He said losing to Oregon St in what he said is the worst P5 conference in modern times should automatically disqualify them for that seed. Heck, if USC beats us we will have lost to 3 of the bottom 4 teams in the league.

He also said in no way should we have lost to WSU twice. Hard to argue with his points but we think about UConn last year and that 6 game losing streak in a so so league
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:47 am
azcat49 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:42 am If all the data tells us that a 1seed gets to the FF twice as much as a 2 seed, why the heck wouldn’t you want to be a 1 seed. It seems you should care
I'm kinda on the side of, it doesn't really matter what our seed ends up being. That data feels suspect to me, like it needs to be broken down further to really have any kind of predictive value.

We have a very good sense of who the field's top 16ish seeds are going to be, and we can look at that group and see where AZ could thrive and where we could struggle.

It would be great to avoid Purdue and Houston till the Final Four, but I say bring em on. If we wanna be national champs, we have to beat these teams.
I can almost guarantee that we will not play Purdue or Houston before a final four. It probably doesn't matter at this point if we are a 1 or 2 seed. The reason 1 seeds have a better record is 1 seeds are better teams. This year, I think it's a little different because there is more parity than usual. We have played well against top teams and we have become a better team over the last 10 games or so. In the end, matchups will determine how far we go as evidenced by Wazzu. If we play a really efficient team that slows the game down and matches up well defensively with us, we will struggle to win that game. If we hit our shots, we can beat anyone and win a championship. I like our chances with this team and can't wait to see how far we go. BTFD!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:59 am Listening to radio this morning they had a handicapper on who yet trashed the cats and said I’m no way they should be a 1 seed.

He said losing to Oregon St in what he said is the worst P5 conference in modern times should automatically disqualify them for that seed. Heck, if USC beats us we will have lost to 3 of the bottom 4 teams in the league.

He also said in no way should we have lost to WSU twice. Hard to argue with his points but we think about UConn last year and that 6 gane losing streak in a so so league
Our earlier losses to OSU and Stanford are not really representative of what this Arizona team can do. We've also won at Duke and have beaten Bama and Wisconsin. No team is 100% steady and at its best from November onward. Purdue and UConn have bad losses this season. Houston may be the only team that's been truly consistent the whole way, and even they got rolled by KU at one point.

At this point, it really just depends on which AZ team shows up in two weeks. Will it be the team that curb stomped ucla yesterday or the one that sleepwalked through stretches of games? I'm inclined to think the former is more likely. We are absolutely good enough to reach the S16. Beyond that, we'll need luck and hot shooting and timely defense.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

84 mentioned slowing the game down. We have only lost to one team when scoring above 83 points and of course that was a double OT game.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:25 pm 84 mentioned slowing the game down. We have only lost to one team when scoring above 83 points and of course that was a double OT game.
UCLA slowed the game down in the first half last night. They were great in transition defense and denying first option pick & rolls and back cut lobs.

Then you look up at halftime and we’ve still scored 44 points in 20 minutes against a program that prides itself on its defense.

This team is special.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

CTL has proved to be an offensive genius with his actions off his base offense.

Seeing Love have a career year in all categories should make every kid in the transfer portal pick up the phone and call him
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

First of all I think that was when number 1 seeds clearly were the best teams in the country. I don't think those numbers hold true lately and certainly this year is a crap shoot. The reason I don't care is I believe this team can beat anyone and I hope they do.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Easier road in the first round for #1 seed no matter how much parity there is.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

1 plays 16, then the winner of the 8/9 matchup.

2 plays 15, then the winner of 7/10.

Just doesn't seem like a huge difference.

First seeds are just better teams and that's why they win more championships.