Tarczewski

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Tarczewski

Post by Merkin »

Good story by Rivera:

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... ame-112314

"Kaleb has been our best player since we've started school," Miller said. "He probably has a sense of frustration about him in the first three games of our season because he hasn't performed as well offensively - points per game and field goal attempts."
But Miller vows, "The best is yet to come for him."
cats101

Re: Tarczewski

Post by cats101 »

Hopefully it translates soon. In a PG driven game it's easy to get lost in the shuffle, however, looking at Kenpom his contributions is very telling.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Starting to wonder if Tarc is destined to be "key contributor" rather than "the man." As long as we win, does it really matter?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Breakout games for him and SJ on the island...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Arizona, so far, has just played against zones which requires better offensive play in order to get the ball down low.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Few big men are "the man" anymore. Went back through AA teams over the past 15 years. Few true centers. The ones who could be "the man" jump to the League. Back-to-the-bucket play has diminished.

Our best in recent years blossomed late: Jordan Hill. Even then, not a true center.

Observe trends (such as, scores are down). It eases frustration.
Right where I want to be.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Olsondogg wrote:Breakout games for him and SJ on the island...
really looking forward to zeus doing some work vs. chol and sdsu in lahaina. i know, i know, looking ahead...
Zero

Post by Zero »

Loved his work on the boards. Hands are always gonna be an issue but would be nice if some could give him the ball at the right spot more. I hate zones so I am sure he hates them even more
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gumby wrote:Few big men are "the man" anymore. Went back through AA teams over the past 15 years. Few true centers. The ones who could be "the man" jump to the League. Back-to-the-bucket play has diminished.

Our best in recent years blossomed late: Jordan Hill. Even then, not a true center.

You're right, gumby. But Tarc arrived as a legit 5 star guy, a "true center," which he is. We don't need him to be "the man," and I'm not saying Tarc should be thought less of because he hasn't achieved that status at UofA. Yet, at least.

Tarc played well at times today. Just as he did throughout last season. But Ristic, as a freshman, seems to have better post instincts than Tarc has as a junior.

I'm not really frustrated with Tarc. How can I be? He's pretty solid for the most part. Good rebounder, decent (not great) defender, decent FT shooter, and a good teammate. And he's a legit 7 footer with decent athleticism. Not many teams have that. So he gives us a size advantage against most teams.

Here's hoping he hits a nice stride in the coming days and weeks, and plays a significant role in our run to the FF this season.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

The story others are saying is for elite bigs to stay away from Arizona pointing to the lack of development of Kaleb.

IDK, I am starting to think that Zeus is a solid college player, and was rated so high because of his size, but he's at close to the ceiling and is having trouble finding his role on this year's team.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Laughing at your "story", as well as your post. You do realize that there is much to the game of basketball besides the one column you notice on a stat sheet right?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bosy Billups wrote:The story others are saying is for elite bigs to stay away from Arizona pointing to the lack of development of Kaleb.

IDK, I am starting to think that Zeus is a solid college player, and was rated so high because of his size, but he's at close to the ceiling and is having trouble finding his role on this year's team.
Always with the third-person drama. Who are "others"? I know, "sources."
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:
gumby wrote:Few big men are "the man" anymore. Went back through AA teams over the past 15 years. Few true centers. The ones who could be "the man" jump to the League. Back-to-the-bucket play has diminished.

You're right, gumby. But Tarc arrived as a legit 5 star guy, a "true center," which he is. We don't need him to be "the man," and I'm not saying Tarc should be thought less of because he hasn't achieved that status at UofA. Yet, at least.

Tarc played well at times today. Just as he did throughout last season. But Ristic, as a freshman, seems to have better post instincts than Tarc has as a junior.

I'm not really frustrated with Tarc. How can I be? He's pretty solid for the most part. Good rebounder, decent (not great) defender, decent FT shooter, and a good teammate. And he's a legit 7 footer with decent athleticism. Not many teams have that. So he gives us a size advantage against most teams.

Here's hoping he hits a nice stride in the coming days and weeks, and plays a significant role in our run to the FF this season.
Ristic has a better post game. Nice to have him.

I would say that Tarc and SJ are the two guys searching for how they fit into the offense. With bigs, it can be hard to say who is at fault. You're at the mercy of the other guys feeding you the ball in good positions. If they don't, you can have quiet offensive games. Think it's part of the evolution of the game that teams can shut down true centers. Tarc will pick up offensively when the perimeter guys start making shots consistently. We're not going to make a living jamming it into the post.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bill Self.

Wasn't he the one who said not to go to Arizona since Lute may die on them?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

That baseline post move he had with 4:50 left in the 2H was pretty. Faked his defender out and made a 7' baby hook
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Gotta stay outta foul trouble
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Jefe wrote:That baseline post move he had with 4:50 left in the 2H was pretty. Faked his defender out and made a 7' baby hook
Yup. Also, I think he should keep taking that 15 foot baseline jumper if the guy doesn't cover him. He's one of our best FT shooters. No reason he can't make that shot. It will start falling, then he will be close to unstoppable.

Go Cats!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Be interested to see what Zeus's hands measure out at. Ristic has so much better ball control.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
cats101

Post by cats101 »

gumby wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:The story others are saying is for elite bigs to stay away from Arizona pointing to the lack of development of Kaleb.

Always with the third-person drama. Who are "others"? I know, "sources."
Was going to reply to it last night but decided it wasn't worth it
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

gumby wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Ristic has a better post game. Nice to have him.

I would say that Tarc and SJ are the two guys searching for how they fit into the offense. With bigs, it can be hard to say who is at fault. You're at the mercy of the other guys feeding you the ball in good positions. If they don't, you can have quiet offensive games. Think it's part of the evolution of the game that teams can shut down true centers. Tarc will pick up offensively when the perimeter guys start making shots consistently. We're not going to make a living jamming it into the post.
Tarc needs to get bold and demand the ball. He looks timid out there so far. He needs that one game where he just bosses people to get his mojo back.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bosy Billups wrote: Tarc needs to get bold and demand the ball. He looks timid out there so far. He needs that one game where he just bosses people to get his mojo back.
Even Miles was commenting on it. When Tarc got the ball down low and was single covered Simon was saying he should use strength to back the defender down then have an easy 2 point shot. I think Tarc passed the ball out.
NETSFAN4HASSAN

Post by NETSFAN4HASSAN »

Played like THE man tonight
loomer

Post by loomer »

Played great tonight, only concern is the 3 rebounds, but there weren't many rebounds to go around tonight
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

You could finally see the much talked about improvement. The first few free throws aside, he had a very solid game.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Still losing easy rebounds, but he was by far the player of the game tonight.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

His offense was superb. Defense was solid too of course.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Tarc showcased some very nice moves in the paint tonight. His talent and offensive versatility was on display after he got going. There is way too much harping on what he does wrong, when he makes mistakes, or that he doesn't live up to his potential. The kid can play. Ristic clearly has talent, but Tarc is much more developed and accomplished. Ristic is still raw, but there is a lot to be excited about (he could be a significant force next year).
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Just stay outta foul trouble. Plays much better when he's mad
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Best game as a Cat! Well done, Zeus!

Go Cats!!
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Much, much better. Has to get more than 3 rebounds though!
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Chad Ford:
Arizona is the main attraction here in Maui. There are four players on the Wildcats who are potential first-round prospects. How have they fared?

Big man Kaleb Tarczewski has been on the radar since his freshman year. He's got NBA size and he's a surprisingly explosive athlete. He just hasn't shown the toughness, rebounding or offensive skill to get anyone to bite on him in the first round. He played one of the best games of his career Tuesday, scoring a career-high 18 points and showing a variety of impressive moves around the basket. However, he grabbed just three rebounds and his toughness in the game varied. Could he be another Miles Plumlee-type who gets better once he's in the pro game? "More like Eric Montross," one scout deadpanned. I wouldn't go that far. The talent is clearly there. If he can put together more games like he did on Tuesday, he'll have plenty of suitors in the first round.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft201 ... tockWatch_
gumby

Post by gumby »

midnightx wrote:Tarc showcased some very nice moves in the paint tonight. His talent and offensive versatility was on display after he got going. There is way too much harping on what he does wrong, when he makes mistakes, or that he doesn't live up to his potential. The kid can play. Ristic clearly has talent, but Tarc is much more developed and accomplished. Ristic is still raw, but there is a lot to be excited about (he could be a significant force next year).
It's the life of a 7-footer. People can't relate. Just figure they should dominate. Kinda feel sorry for them. He was nails last night.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Coop Cat wrote:Chad Ford:
Arizona is the main attraction here in Maui. There are four players on the Wildcats who are potential first-round prospects. How have they fared?

Big man Kaleb Tarczewski has been on the radar since his freshman year. He's got NBA size and he's a surprisingly explosive athlete. He just hasn't shown the toughness, rebounding or offensive skill to get anyone to bite on him in the first round. He played one of the best games of his career Tuesday, scoring a career-high 18 points and showing a variety of impressive moves around the basket. However, he grabbed just three rebounds and his toughness in the game varied. Could he be another Miles Plumlee-type who gets better once he's in the pro game? "More like Eric Montross," one scout deadpanned. I wouldn't go that far. The talent is clearly there. If he can put together more games like he did on Tuesday, he'll have plenty of suitors in the first round.
Montross' junior year: 22 and 10. I know this guy only cares about The League. But 22 and 10 would be something. Oh, and won a natty.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Fraschilla made a good point on Zeus's defense last night...trying to defend someone without the use of hands is difficult. I thought Zeus had a solid game on both ends last night. Sure, it would have been nice to get a few more boards for him personally, but what people don't realize is that teams game plan to reduce his ability to board. Why do you think that others (TJ etc.) get boards when Zeus doesn't?

I couldn't be happier with him at center. People like seeing Ristic score (as do I) but scoring is not where having a 7 footer really matters.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

gumby wrote:

Montross' junior year: 22 and 10. I know this guy only cares about The League. But 22 and 10 would be something. Oh, and won a natty.
All NBA scouts criticize in seven-footers is ceiling. Like Montross was supposed to have grown three more inches or gained 50 more pounds of muscle in the NBA somehow.

I like to use a hopefully more realistic metric to measure Zeus against: Precedent, aka Loren Woods. From Finley at the Star:

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 05a53.html
Woods averaged 14.3 points, 7 rebounds and 3.4 blocks per game in two years at the UA.
Woods led the UA with 15.6 points as a junior. He averaged 13.2 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.9 blocks in 2001.
And Woods was never a focal point of the offense.

In contrast, so far Zeus' junior points and blocks numbers are down, even taking into account last night's performance, from his sophomore average.

In a tick more PT this season, he is so far averaging 8.8 ppg/6.4 rpg/0.8 bpg.

As a sophomore in 2013-14, the averages were 9.9/6.3/1.0.

I'm certainly not expecting Kaleb to equal the best shot-blocker in Wildcat history. However, it certainly isn't unreasonable to expect a Tarczewski who averages double figures in points and at least seven rebounds a game as a junior with two years as a starter, is it?
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Woods could knock down the free throw line extended or baseline jumper with consistency though. Was not just a low post player.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Oops. Those were the 40 minute numbers for Montross. Make it 15 ppg and 7.6 rbs. Still ....
gumby

Post by gumby »

catgrad97 wrote:
gumby wrote:

All NBA scouts criticize in seven-footers is ceiling. Like Montross was supposed to have grown three more inches or gained 50 more pounds of muscle in the NBA somehow.

I like to use a hopefully more realistic metric to measure Zeus against: Precedent, aka Loren Woods. From Finley at the Star:

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 05a53.html
Woods averaged 14.3 points, 7 rebounds and 3.4 blocks per game in two years at the UA.
Woods led the UA with 15.6 points as a junior. He averaged 13.2 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.9 blocks in 2001.
And Woods was never a focal point of the offense.

In contrast, so far Zeus' junior points and blocks numbers are down, even taking into account last night's performance, from his sophomore average.

In a tick more PT this season, he is so far averaging 8.8 ppg/6.4 rpg/0.8 bpg.

As a sophomore in 2013-14, the averages were 9.9/6.3/1.0.

I'm certainly not expecting Kaleb to equal the best shot-blocker in Wildcat history. However, it certainly isn't unreasonable to expect a Tarczewski who averages double figures in points and at least seven rebounds a game as a junior with two years as a starter, is it?
I would not expect a Woods-like junior year (which was Loren's fourth in college). Loren was first-team all conference. If you projected that for Kaleb, then I understand the disappointment. I don't see him putting up those numbers on offense. If you see something in his game that leads you to believe he will, please share.

Two other strikes against him. 1.This isn't a high-scoring team. Fewer possessions. 2. If the perimeter shooting doesn't pick up, teams are going to sag.

On the other hand, Kaleb won't get pushed around like Woods did. They have different roles, and Miller seems quite pleased with how Kaleb is carrying his out.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

True 'Seven Footers' at Arizona

Loren Woods college career: 11.1 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.6 bpg, 22.4 "Bird" value.

Ed Stokes college career: 8.1 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.4 bpg, 14.5 "Bird" value.

Alex Jacobson college career: 0.9 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 0.1 bpg, 2.7 "Bird" value.

Kaleb Tarczewski college career (to date): 8.3 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.8 bpg, 13.5 "Bird" value.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Lets not forget about Dusan.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Isn't Tarczewski in the NBA already?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

refs took zeus totally out of the game tonight with probably 4 (at least 3) awful calls. that being said, he didn't do much when he was in there anyway although i don't even think he got ONE post touch tonight.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

The officials took Zeus, TJ and Gabe out of the game tonight. If the officials called fouls on SDSU like they did on our guards, every single time RHJ or SJ went to the rim there was a foul. Our guards could literally not do anything on defense. Zeus either. If SDSU could make foul shots they might have actually won this game. The officials did everything in their power to give it to them.

And yet, thanks to RHJ and SJ in particular, the Cats still got the W. Stanley Johnson is a beast who can make free throws. Yes!!

Go Cats!!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

SDSU ran a second defender at him all night. He had there respect
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

They refs didn't take boards away from him. Guy just isn't athletic.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

legallykenny wrote:They refs didn't take boards away from him. Guy just isn't athletic.
T Rex hands don't help either.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

They were doubling him and bash on the low block without any consequence. Ball movement needs to improve, they were recovering with ease. Foul trouble and the double teams.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Tarc 3 points. Spencer 1. We won by two. MVP! He also outrebounded Spencer, who had none. :mrgreen:

I see that Chol had one rebound. Just an odd game for the bigs.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Tarc wont make it in the NBA, NBADL, Europe, or Asia.

You actually have to know how to play basketball in order to get paid for it.
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR