This site is getting some recognition

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

This site is getting some recognition

Post by Irish27 »

I thought because this forum has a lot of action, I would post this here. A few weeks ago I sent an email to collegesports-fans.com about this site and I got an email tonight from Michael Shull. He let me know this site is now being shown on collegesports-fans.com.

http://www.collegesports-fans.com/colle ... oards.html

Here is what he wrote me:

you guys are live at http://www.collegesports-fans.com/colle ... oards.html with a strong BAR. If you guys blow up anytime soon HMU and I will re-evaluate. Thanks!

Michael Shull
DFN Sports
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Longhorned

Re: This site is getting some recognition

Post by Longhorned »

That's great! Thanks, Irish. I wish one of us knew how to help with the migration.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Longhorned wrote:That's great! Thanks, Irish. I wish one of us knew how to help with the migration.
Social media is probably the best way. A facebook and twitter account would help.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I typed goazcats into google and "goazcats exile" was the first suggestion.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pokinmik wrote:I typed goazcats into google and "goazcats exile" was the first suggestion.
For auto complete, but not for results.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

The domain name has to change. It won't pop up on any searches and hard to type off top of head. Just forward entire site to new domain.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Bosy Billups wrote:The domain name has to change. It won't pop up on any searches and hard to type off top of head. Just forward entire site to new domain.
it's too bad btfd.com is already taken. enjoy the domain, brown township fire dept of morgan county, indiana, population: 13,000!!

nonetheless, i'm very thankful for this forum / site / domain / hosting :D
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

what's wrong with:

wildcatsinexile.com

wildcatexile.com

??

Both available.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

We already have beardown.com. The problem isn't finding a domain name. It's the technical difficulty of migrating. I know less than anybody about what that entails. Nobody here has been identified as knowing enough.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Remember when Goazcats became real popular, and Rivals dropped UASports, which was the prior Rivals site, and picked up TOS?

Just wondering...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:Remember when Goazcats became real popular, and Rivals dropped UASports, which was the prior Rivals site, and picked up TOS?

Just wondering...
I guess we'd have that conversation. On the one hand, what a statement for when MAO tries to strong-arm us, and the result is that Rivals takes the community instead of MAO. Maybe the next administrator(s) would understand what's what. On the other hand, I suppose it's possible that there would be serious consideration to continuing as with the co-op model. You know... freedom!
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Longhorned wrote:We already have beardown.com. The problem isn't finding a domain name. It's the technical difficulty of migrating. I know less than anybody about what that entails. Nobody here has been identified as knowing enough.
Can't you just forward this domain to the new domain name? It's pretty easy in GoDaddy. Basically when you go to beardown.com, it re-routes to this site but it's behind the scenes, the URL doesn't show it.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

should be recognized for the long unreadable threads that only 27 people in the universe have time for.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Bosy Billups wrote:
Longhorned wrote:We already have beardown.com. The problem isn't finding a domain name. It's the technical difficulty of migrating. I know less than anybody about what that entails. Nobody here has been identified as knowing enough.
Can't you just forward this domain to the new domain name? It's pretty easy in GoDaddy. Basically when you go to beardown.com, it re-routes to this site but it's behind the scenes, the URL doesn't show it.
Its gotta be more complex than that, right?
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Merkin wrote:Remember when Goazcats became real popular, and Rivals dropped UASports, which was the prior Rivals site, and picked up TOS?

Just wondering...
I don't think it can happen unless we have writers and premium subscribers.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Bosy Billups wrote:
Nope. The message board database migration is the hard part. We could be at www.beardownwildcats.com in 10 minutes if we wanted to, but all our posts here would be gone.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Can't be that hard if some certain Jack-ass had GilbertArenas.com, ChanningFrye.com and 20 others all go to the same site. Very commonplace.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:Can't be that hard if some certain Jack-ass had GilbertArenas.com, ChanningFrye.com and 20 others all go to the same site. Very commonplace.
No, it's not. You can redirect traffic wherever, but our board database is stuck here until a few technical hurdles can be overcome.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

www.beardownwildcats.com does redirect to our forum so feel free to bookmark that url.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAdevil wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
Nope. The message board database migration is the hard part. We could be at http://www.beardownwildcats.com in 10 minutes if we wanted to, but all our posts here would be gone.
I've been thinking about that. I'd be open. Would it be worth having a community discussion? It would be like the migrations of old, where you leave your home behind. Kind of like the Pilgrims who left England for Holland for that intervening period before arriving in the New World with nothing but the ships that brought them there.

I wonder if we could also consider preserving prodigaleyelid.com in some other kind of archived format that doesn't occupy all this server space. I don't know if that's an additional possibility to go along with just packing our bags in moving.
ecurbh

Post by ecurbh »

I'm a professional web developer, and also run my own forum (on an unrelated topic), and would be happy to help out as much as I can.

Just to clarify, are we needing to move the site (all of the files and the database) to a new server/hosting account, or just changing the domain name on this existing installation?

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather take this off-thread.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Haha funny stuff LH with the migration/abandon-home line.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I'm going to try running through the migration process again this Sunday. We'll see how it goes. There are just a couple of challenges due to the logistics. I don't own the new domain, Mytwocents does and hosts it. She has graciously given me access to her host to work on the database. So before the issue was access to the cpanel to work on the db. Now I can get in there, so maybe the issues are not insurmountable. If I still have no luck I'm going to see if she's willing to transfer the domain to me so I can host it and muck around in there without the risk of fouling up her other domains attached to her host.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Your offer could be helpful, ecurbh. That's awesome.
UAdevil wrote:I'm going to try running through the migration process again this Sunday. We'll see how it goes. There are just a couple of challenges due to the logistics. I don't own the new domain, Mytwocents does and hosts it. She has graciously given me access to her host to work on the database. So before the issue was access to the cpanel to work on the db. Now I can get in there, so maybe the issues are not insurmountable. If I still have no luck I'm going to see if she's willing to transfer the domain to me so I can host it and muck around in there without the risk of fouling up her other domains attached to her host.
So translating that into a way I can understand, it's like you've got this giant grain elevator, and you're trying to move a bunch of corn into somebody else's silo. But all we have is a single wheelbarrow and a shovel, and we should maybe dry the corn out first in the sun on our own acreage before we start introducing some kind of destructive mold into somebody's silo.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Lol something like that.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Herr Professor!
gumby

Post by gumby »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:should be recognized for the long unreadable threads that only 27 people in the universe have time for.
And a shortage of WTF? poster meltdowns.
Right where I want to be.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

ecurbh wrote:
I'm a professional web developer, and also run my own forum (on an unrelated topic), and would be happy to help out as much as I can.

Just to clarify, are we needing to move the site (all of the files and the database) to a new server/hosting account, or just changing the domain name on this existing installation?

Devil? JMark? You see this post?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

UAtrue wrote:
ecurbh wrote:

Devil? JMark? You see this post?
I'm useless to this upgrade/migration beyond basic html changes or ponying up a few bucks to help.

I'm here if anyone needs to include me in a discussion or PM series.

I'm thrilled that this site is gaining in reputation. Would love to have the migration done before the NCAA Tournament.

To answer specifically, I believe we are migrating all existing content from this temporary domain to a new hosting domain, and we want to have a seamless transfer of content without losing threads and posts immediately, while moving to a space that's capable for future upgrades, updates, etc.
gumby

Post by gumby »

We're better when we fly under the radar.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I wouldn't be shattered to lose the current content. We did it once before, and we lost a lot more. We all knew from the start that this domain was temporary, so IMO don't spend huge effort migrating current content. Let's just get to a permanent home and start building new content again.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Puerco wrote:I wouldn't be shattered to lose the current content. We did it once before, and we lost a lot more. We all knew from the start that this domain was temporary, so IMO don't spend huge effort migrating current content. Let's just get to a permanent home and start building new content again.
And I feel this is only a last resort.

This place already has some incredible history.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Puerco wrote:I wouldn't be shattered to lose the current content. We did it once before, and we lost a lot more. We all knew from the start that this domain was temporary, so IMO don't spend huge effort migrating current content. Let's just get to a permanent home and start building new content again.
I feel the same way. There will be new content. Should site should have migrated before football season started and is long overdue. Many of the people who were supposed to help make it happen have disappeared. The problem is there is no feeling of urgency. I miss some of the old posters who haven't found this site and we lose out on other school's fans visiting us because we are hard to find.
ecurbh

Post by ecurbh »

Losing the content should not be necessary, all we need is control panel access to the two servers to export/import the database and files. This forum is young and small enough that it shouldn't take more than a couple hours of downtime to move everything over (knock on wood).
gumby

Post by gumby »

Whew. Hate to go through those HOT brackets again.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

ecurbh wrote:
Losing the content should not be necessary, all we need is control panel access to the two servers to export/import the database and files. This forum is young and small enough that it shouldn't take more than a couple hours of downtime to move everything over (knock on wood).

ecurbh, this is the process phpbb recommends. The hangup is with using Bigdump.php to move the Db into a black Db on the new server. I'm going to run thru this process again on Saturday now that I have access to the new host cpanel (which is owned by another user).

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... or-domain/
Mr.Zebra

Post by Mr.Zebra »

UAdevil wrote:
ecurbh wrote:

ecurbh, this is the process phpbb recommends. The hangup is with using Bigdump.php to move the Db into a black Db on the new server. I'm going to run thru this process again on Saturday now that I have access to the new host cpanel (which is owned by another user).

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... or-domain/
You shouldn't need to use bigdump. I know it's recommended, but if you simply can't get it to run, then don't use it and instead do the heavy lifting yourself. All bigdump is doing is importing small pieces of the database at a time into the new database. You can do that manually. Get the most important content transferred first, then simply import the rest as you see fit or want to. ecurbh is correct though, shouldn't take long to move the data.