Officiating

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

3goggles

Officiating

Post by 3goggles »

I was at the game so obviously every seems worse because of the crowd! Was it that poorly officiated? My 4 year old daughter noticed how bad it was and was yelling at the officials to back home! I raised her right!!! Get win we def picked the right game to take her and daughter daddo date!!!
ASUCatFan

Re: Officiating

Post by ASUCatFan »

It was pretty awful, and most of the heinous calls seemed to go against Arizona. It takes guts to win a game that was called like that against a team as good as Gonzaga, though.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

It's was craziest I have the McKale Center in years! I wasn't there for the Florida game but this was crazy!!!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I thought the Zags got a higher percentage of the fifty fifty calls and the call on Pitts was horrendous.

We got away with one at the end of regulation.
RHJ went over Sabonis' back.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Just got back from the game and my youngest (7) kept asking me why the refs were so bad.
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

UAEebs86 wrote:I thought the Zags got a higher percentage of the fifty fifty calls and the call on Pitts was horrendous.

We got away with one at the end of regulation.
RHJ went over Sabonis' back.
Sabonis shouldn't even have been in the game as he should have been fouled out already. That no call on that over the back drag down on Ashley was just one of many shit calls.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

It was bad. We got the benefit of that no call on rondae at the end of regulation, and a 50/50 makeup call on a charge taken by Zeus. There was a four minute stretch to start the second half that was as bad as it gets. Four or five really poor calls or no calls in that stretch, and thats where i lost my voice
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Refs ran out of Mckale so fast it was funny.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Alieberman wrote:Just got back from the game and my youngest (7) kept asking me why the refs were so bad.
Sigh. They grow up so fast.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

1st half had a slew of atrocious calls against the Cats. I got so pissed I'd replay 'em on the dvr to make sure I saw what I thought I saw. Glad to see the crowd start getting on the refs after those over the back no-calls. Saw a quick "make-up" call for us a shortly after that and from then on the bad calls against us started becoming much much fewer. Even saw saw the zags getting a few phantom foul calls.

Inconsistent referring at it's best (worst)...
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

May as well sticky this thread for Pac 12 play.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Refs need further training. They should look at film of this game to see why.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Convinced Deldre Carr was on the take. Never seen an official (outside of Karl Hess) call such a piss poor game. That guy was awful.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Olsondogg wrote:Convinced Deldre Carr was on the take. Never seen an official (outside of Karl Hess) call such a piss poor game. That guy was awful.

Thought crossed my mind as well. Slimy bastard. (if so)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

HiCat wrote:Refs need further training. They should look at film of this game to see why.
Yeah, they need to be a lot more subtle when trying to screw us.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NETSFAN4HASSAN

Post by NETSFAN4HASSAN »

They absolutely suck and I did my best letting the bastards know
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

HiCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Convinced Deldre Carr was on the take. Never seen an official (outside of Karl Hess) call such a piss poor game. That guy was awful.

Thought crossed my mind as well. Slimy bastard. (if so)

Lives in Vegas. Just sayin'
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dave Libby and Richie Ballasteros say hi.

How about the crew on the 2001 championship game?

salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

Stevie Wonder could see that we got a break at the end of regulation but as noted above fucking Sabonis should have already been fouled out of the game at that point.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Hansen: Pac-12 sent B-list refs for Gonzaga game

http://tucson.com/sports/columnists/han ... ?id=201408
Item I: In the first 48 hours after Arizona split its Oregon-Gonzaga doubleheader, the trending topic was not that the Zags shot an airball at the worst possible time — or that Arizona’s performance against the Ducks was nothing but an airball — it was, as usual, the referees.

Nothing stirs the soul of a UA basketball fan more than an excess of whistles — good calls, non-calls, bad calls, missed calls — in a dramatic finish.

I was puzzled that the Pac-12 assigned a relative rookie, Deldre Carr, to work with two middle-tier referees, Kevin Brill and Michael Greenstreet, in what had long been anticipated as the league’s showcase game of the preseason.

Carr had previously called just one UA game, a December 2010 five-point win against NAU. Until Saturday, Carr officiated 12 games this season, none involving ranked teams. Examples: Eastern Kentucky-Southern Utah; Maysville-North Dakota; Delaware-Cal Poly.

Perhaps this is the Pac-12’s way of developing younger referees. But it is far from the big-game crew the Big Ten appointed to last week’s Duke-Wisconsin mega-showdown.

That game was worked by Terry Oglesby — who, coincidentally, advanced to the NCAA tournament last year and called the Arizona-Gonzaga game — Gene Steratore, who called last year’s Michigan State-Michigan Big Ten tournament championship game; and Lamont Simpson, who worked last year’s UCLA-Florida Sweet 16 game.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Typical Pac stupidity on that one. The conference's premier team gets the B team.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Karl Hess, always the center of attention--or trying to be:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... -slur-game
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Olsondogg wrote:Karl Hess, always the center of attention--or trying to be:

He says Hess told him he wanted to sit in his seat and watch Shah ref a game, calling Shah an ethnic slur.

"Egyptian" is an ethnic slur?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Karl Hess, always the center of attention--or trying to be:

He says Hess told him he wanted to sit in his seat and watch Shah ref a game, calling Shah an ethnic slur.

"Egyptian" is an ethnic slur?
The guy is American and of Indian decent.

I sincerely doubt Hess was saying "Egyptian ass" as a reference to his actual heritage and simply got the heritage incorrect.

Hess is a clown who should have been kicked off the court and never let back on, years ago.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

First there was Balesteros, then Libbey, now this clown.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

As a reminder Hess has a history with Miller. He T'd him up in Maui in Millers first year. I was cause Miller yelled "3 seconds" for a Vandy player in the game.

McDonnough and Bilas talked about Hess and his clown show on that broadcast.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I'm not a betting man....but if I were I'd put down $50 that says if the ACC were to fire Hess, that the pac12 would hire him within a couple weeks.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

ASUHATER! wrote:Karl Hess was fired by the ACC http://www.streakingthelawn.com/2015/1/ ... n-mit-shah
guy was such a douche when he officiated Arizona games. See ya
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

whatisee wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Karl Hess was fired by the ACC http://www.streakingthelawn.com/2015/1/ ... n-mit-shah
guy was such a douche when he officiated Arizona games. See ya
He'll be the next Director of Officiating for the Pac-12 in a year or so.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

This was the officially the poorest officiated game I have ever seen live.
Way to show the country on college gameday how bad the Pac12 officiating is.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Daryl Zero wrote:This was the officially the poorest officiated game I have ever seen live.
Only way it'll get fixed, if ever.

Depends on how much of a priority it becomes. Seriously hard to believe there wasn't point-shaving involved, and I'm not thinking by the players.

But in Larry Scott's world, Miller is too "uppity" and the UCLA "brand" needs to be protected. Neither happened tonight. Conference looked like garbage.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Refs should look at the game replay to see missed calls.

The missed call on York driving to the hoop taking a shot was nuts. :?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Daryl Zero wrote:This was the officially the poorest officiated game I have ever seen live.
At least they weren't biased. Every time AZ got totally screwed on a call UCLA got it worse on the other end and vice versa.

I can't believe the NFL let a blind guy ref the Super Bowl.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

You know the officiating is bad when the announcers are talking about the calls all damn game. Felt like more often than not the topic of discussion was how shitty the calls were or how many calls there were. Bilas might bring up officiating more than most but still, the announcers usually shy away from totally harping on the refs...not last night.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pokinmik wrote:You know the officiating is bad when the announcers are talking about the calls all damn game. Felt like more often than not the topic of discussion was how shitty the calls were or how many calls there were. Bilas might bring up officiating more than most but still, the announcers usually shy away from totally harping on the refs...not last night.

Bill has been harping on them all season, but hopefully people take Bilas more seriously than Walton.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I wish something was changing...but 2 years ago the PAC had the biggest officiating scandal in CBB, as far back as I can remember...and...well, what's changed?

Until college basketball officials are paid in a manner that it could be their full time job, and that they don't have to ref so many games...nothing will change.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I can't stand the inconsistency game to game and play to play. I actually thought the USC crew did great. Then last night was horrid both ways. UCLA got screwed on some pretty obvious plays. We did too, but UCLAs stand out more in my mind.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

So how much did the refs make last night? Just wondering. $1000-3000 per game is pretty good bucks. But not for inferior refs.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Read an article that said when the PAC-10 went to the PAC-12 they were going to fire 16(?) refs and raise the game pay to $3,000 per, which they pay their own expenses. Also open up an office in Walnut Creek just for officiating.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

If those refs (last night) got that kind of money, they were overpaid big time. Talk about scamming the Pac. Geezzus
NETSFAN4HASSAN

Post by NETSFAN4HASSAN »

what about that non shooting foul call for York? They said he wasn't in the act of shooting? ONE of the WORST calls I have ever seen! That NFL ref is a fucking moron.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It's not just the money, it's the amount of games that the officials are used. I don't beleive it is considered a full time job.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not just the PAC, twitter was all abuzz about the end of the Ohio State/Michigan game and the failure of the refs.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frybry02 wrote:I can't stand the inconsistency game to game and play to play. I actually thought the USC crew did great. Then last night was horrid both ways. UCLA got screwed on some pretty obvious plays. We did too, but UCLAs stand out more in my mind.
The Pac should be embarrassed to send that officiating product out for a Gameday game. The best you can say is neither team got an advantage because the refs just sucked. There were stretches where it was no blood, no foul, immediately followed by whistling if you breathed too hard.

The call where Zeus/Ashley (I forget which) got whistled on the hedge on Alford despite not touching him was hilarious. In fairness, the Bruins got hosed just as bad.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:I can't stand the inconsistency game to game and play to play. I actually thought the USC crew did great. Then last night was horrid both ways. UCLA got screwed on some pretty obvious plays. We did too, but UCLAs stand out more in my mind.
The Pac should be embarrassed to send that officiating product out for a Gameday game. The best you can say is neither team got an advantage because the refs just sucked. There were stretches where it was no blood, no foul, immediately followed by whistling if you breathed too hard.

The call where Zeus/Ashley (I forget which) got whistled on the hedge on Alford despite not touching him was hilarious. In fairness, the Bruins got hosed just as bad.
I have a bruin buddy who feels that they got hosed as well, and I was inclined to agree.

He also added "we suck" to the end of his statement, and I was inclined to agree.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I have a bruin buddy who feels that they got hosed as well, and I was inclined to agree.

He also added "we suck" to the end of his statement, and I was inclined to agree.
Yeah. I don't think it made a difference because the game was called pretty terribly both ways, but both teams have a gripe with the reffing. It was inconsistent and plenty of phantom calls. Zeus drawing a charge while establishing post position with his butt off the ball was pretty comical too.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Refs tried and failed to control tempo and momentum instead of just establishing what was and was not a foul at the outset and sticking with it. You could see both coaches complaining that what was a foul on one end was not on the other and hat what was a foul thirty seconds before all of a sudden wasn't.

I will never gripe about mistakes being made. Sometimes they miss things. Sometimes the rules are vague or don't help. But if a play is called one way thirty seconds into the game it should be called the same way throughout. That is the least we can ask for from these stipend pajama jokers.