Ban Bill Walton Petition

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Ban Bill Walton Petition

Post by gumby »

Here it is.

https://www.change.org/p/espn-pac-12-ne ... ion-no_msg

I dunno. I learned a lot after that last game. For instance, Cuonzo Martin coaches UW. And Roxy didn't attend that Gonzaga-Arizona game, where he was the announcer.
Right where I want to be.
Machina

Re: Ban Bill Walton Petition

Post by Machina »

I laugh and people like this. They are playing right into the hands of the PAC-12 network and ESPN.

Life is too good and too short to worry about who the announcer is of a game or what a bunch of 18-23 year old mean wear.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I would sign a petition requiring Walton to team only with Pasch.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Why ban Bill? He can no longer call Nick Johnson Nick Young. Well, if anyone could it would be Bill.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Never! Had 400 votes yesterday and said it needed 75 to pass. Now its 1156 needing 344. Worthless petition is worthless
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:Why ban Bill? He can no longer call Nick Johnson Nick Young. Well, if anyone could it would be Bill.
Who was that player he called a girl's name last year?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Personally I love hearing Walton call a UA game. He's nuts. He's got that 'drunk uncle' vibe about him that is often equal parts hilarious and endearing. If we can't get any more Bob Elliott 'Bobisms' I'll settle for Bill.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Merkin wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:Why ban Bill? He can no longer call Nick Johnson Nick Young. Well, if anyone could it would be Bill.
'Must have missed that one, but Bill is worth keeping around if for no other reason than that he infuriates UCLA fans more than us.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

UAdevil wrote:Personally I love hearing Walton call a UA game. He's nuts. He's got that 'drunk uncle' vibe about him that is often equal parts hilarious and endearing. If we can't get any more Bob Elliott 'Bobisms' I'll settle for Bill.
Word. I like him for this reason
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

noooooooooooo!

walton forever!
Zero

Post by Zero »

Love Walton with Pasch.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Merkin wrote:
He called Kevin Parrom "Karen Parrom". KP even saw the game and commented on it on Twitter.

As for the petition, clearly this person hasn't watched many games. Don MacLean is awful, and back in the Pac 10 days Sitton (may he rest in peace) was pretty bad as well.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
gumby

Post by gumby »

If Don MacLean drank whiskey and rye first, he'd be better.
atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

Hmm.

Ban Bill Walton -- the single biggest (and tallest) Lute Olson/Sean Miller/Arizona Wildcats homer announcer in the basketball hall of fame, who just happens to be maybe the second greatest player to wear a UCLA uniform -- and all he wants to talk about is how great Steve Kerr, every kid that ever came through the U of A program, Tucson, Linda Ronstadt and the Greatful Dead are.

Gee! You are right. Ban him for life.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

sure beats marques and the fiz!
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

I love Bill, 95% of the time. Occasionally he'll say something grating, but generally it's unique commentary from start to finish.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Jay Vilas calling the game tomorrow. Light years a head of a joke of an announcer Bill Walton.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

Where's the petition to ban the petition banning Bill Walton?

Seriously, I don't understand why people hate Walton so much. Okay, I can understand it, but at the same time I don't.

A. Its a basketball game...let's not take ourselves too seriously.
2. Do people really need an announcer to explain what's happening on the court? If so, that's a you problem, not a Bill Walton problem.
III. I really do enjoy Bilas and his insight (we like him now right? Because a few years back during the transition years he said something slightly negative about UA...you know, when we weren't very good...and everybody jumped all over him), but he's far and away the best in the biz doing college games. The rest are just a bunch of muppets that give utterly useless insight to the game...versus Bill that gives utterly useless insight into life, or at least into life as he sees it.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Merkin wrote:

Well this year, during a uCla game, he referred to Stanley Johnson as "Stacey". So there's that...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

The people calling for Walton to be banned are probably the same people who think law and order is entertaining. Lighten up, quit taking life so seriously, and throw it down big fellas.

Let's instead make a petition of something more entertaining, like every person with enough lack of moral character to wear asu gear must also wear the todd graham arm bands and Britney Spears head set, or that Brian Fellows gets his own sitcom (get well Tracy), or that Bill Walton do every basketball game we play.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

gumby wrote:If Don MacLean drank whiskey and rye first, he'd be better.
Only on starry nights.
wooha

Post by wooha »

I feel sorry for anyone who signs this
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Are you old enough to remember...
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Zero wrote:Love Walton with Pasch.
Seconded. Pasch is a top-notch play-by-play guy (I may be biased as a Cardinals fan) and he does a great job of being a straight man to the buffoon (maybe years of practice with Wolfley honed his skills).

I can see where people might not dig Waltons style but it's not as if he's shouting at the top of his lungs like Vitale, he's pretty easy to tune out.

Oh and he's a legend who despite being a proud UCLA alum sent his kid to AZ and wore our colors and generally is effusive in his praise of the program under both Lute and Miller.

I'll sign the petition to end the first petition,
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

RIP Dave Sitton

IDK, didn't know where else to put it.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

azthrillhouse wrote:
Zero wrote:Love Walton with Pasch.
Seconded. Pasch is a top-notch play-by-play guy (I may be biased as a Cardinals fan) and he does a great job of being a straight man to the buffoon (maybe years of practice with Wolfley honed his skills).

I can see where people might not dig Waltons style but it's not as if he's shouting at the top of his lungs like Vitale, he's pretty easy to tune out.

Oh and he's a legend who despite being a proud UCLA alum sent his kid to AZ and wore our colors and generally is effusive in his praise of the program under both Lute and Miller.

I'll sign the petition to end the first petition,
Also sent a son to SDSU and is very effusive about that program as well.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Bill Walton is definitely not the best analyst, but is the most entertaining. I think some people just have to have something to complain about. I lived in South Bend when Notre Dame broke UCLA's winning streak and Walton missed a turnaround jumper that would have won the game for UCLA. That's also when rushing the floor was rare and didn't happen much at all. Adrian Dantley played for Notre Dame at the time. Neither of these teams could compete against today's athletes. Weight training wasn't important then. Many thought that lifting weights would throw off your shot. And speaking of announcers, these guys are TERRIBLE! We complain about not being able to see every game on TV, but back then you were lucky to see 10 games a year.

There wasn't ESPN, or cable for that matter. You were stuck on what the networks would show. Although many games would be shown locally or regionally. If you had to move away from your alma matter you were pretty much out of luck.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/x4MBIQoCO-U[/youtube]
gumby

Post by gumby »

New petition: Basketball really is just a sport. So lighten up about:

The polls, refs, all announcers not named Walton, analysts, reporters, columnists, bracketologists, conference commissioner, DirecTV, uniforms, logos, game times, Josh Pastner, awards, SportsCenter, tweets, blogs, recruiting, Sagarin, Palm, RPI, packline, rotation, Zona Zoo, and getting to another Final Four.

Starting to get concerned about any of the above? Just turn off the games, put down the phone or tablet, back away from the computer, and kick back, Walton-style.

Truckin, like the Doo-Dah man ....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catintheheat wrote:Bill Walton is definitely not the best analyst, but is the most entertaining. I think some people just have to have something to complain about. I lived in South Bend when Notre Dame broke UCLA's winning streak and Walton missed a turnaround jumper that would have won the game for UCLA. That's also when rushing the floor was rare and didn't happen much at all. Adrian Dantley played for Notre Dame at the time. Neither of these teams could compete against today's athletes. Weight training wasn't important then. Many thought that lifting weights would throw off your shot. And speaking of announcers, these guys are TERRIBLE! We complain about not being able to see every game on TV, but back then you were lucky to see 10 games a year.

There wasn't ESPN, or cable for that matter. You were stuck on what the networks would show. Although many games would be shown locally or regionally. If you had to move away from your alma matter you were pretty much out of luck.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/x4MBIQoCO-U[/youtube]

How about those 2 homer calls, the traveling and offensive foul on UCLA? There was no shot clock back then so not sure why UCLA needed to shoot.

I remember that game, I was living in MI then and hated UCLA, and loved ND.

They didn't have year round basketball either.

I recall when UCLA played Arizona back when the UA was in the WAC Wooden and his staff didn't even scout Arizona, he just had his team show up.

Now you even scout Div II exhibition teams.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Just the opposite. Liked UCLA. Hated ND.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:Just the opposite. Liked UCLA. Hated ND.

I grew up Catholic, and it was a sin to root against ND.

Hated the PAC since I grew up in Big 10 country, and always felt the Rose Bowl was a home game for the PAC. And when I was growing up it was. When I moved away in 1976 9 of the prior 11 seasons either USC or UCLA represented the PAC.

PAC also used some fancy football shenanigans called the forward pass.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

cats101 wrote:Jay Vilas calling the game tomorrow. Light years a head of a joke of an announcer Bill Walton.
no way, get that joyless know-it-all robot outta here!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Is Dennis Miller available? Because that went well.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Dear Bill Walton:

Let's compromise. You may continue to reprise your glory days and glory daze, take the viewers on a tour of the city, repeat that it's the greatest conference despite sparse attendance and urge players to "make a shot" or "get a rebound" and repeat your peculiar aphorisms, if:

You promise to pick up a program before the game and read it.

Match numbers to player names. Match first names to last names.

Look up at the scoreboard to assess number of fouls (instead of asking your partner on air).

Watch games when you're not announcing.

Talk to coaches and players to prepare.

Remember that many fans are really invested in the outcome, so maybe this would be a good time to wrap up that story.

Watch Bill Raftery, who successfully combines mirth and work.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

I should have read the forum before I started the other thread
gumby

Post by gumby »

I take it back. The big fella boned up, and brought major stats ... on shrooms.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I know Walton takes a lot of painkillers due to his 78 surgeries, but he was really hopped up last night. Arizona coach Sean Elliott?

Has no rapport with that kid either, bring back Pasch!
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

gumby wrote:New petition: Basketball really is just a sport. So lighten up about:

The polls, refs, all announcers not named Walton, analysts, reporters, columnists, bracketologists, conference commissioner, DirecTV, uniforms, logos, game times, Josh Pastner, awards, SportsCenter, tweets, blogs, recruiting, Sagarin, Palm, RPI, packline, rotation, Zona Zoo, and getting to another Final Four.

Starting to get concerned about any of the above? Just turn off the games, put down the phone or tablet, back away from the computer, and kick back, Walton-style.

Truckin, like the Doo-Dah man ....
Thought he was really great last night.
I'd do humungous mushrooms with Bill anytime.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Merkin wrote:I know Walton takes a lot of painkillers due to his 78 surgeries, but he was really hopped up last night. Arizona coach Sean Elliott?

Yes f'n terrible.

But, but he's funny! He's like your drunk uncle! He manages to fuck up everybody's names and get completely off topic at every opportunity. Wow how unique!
Machina

Post by Machina »

Merkin wrote:I know Walton takes a lot of painkillers due to his 78 surgeries, but he was really hopped up last night. Arizona coach Sean Elliott?

Walton and Roxy are both part of ESPN and PAC12N while Pasch is only ESPN and the Cardinals. That is why they split Walton up with Roxy and Pasch
gumby

Post by gumby »

Roxy on the phone to Pasch:

"But he won't ..."

"Roxy, you can't stop him. You can only hope to contain him."
mrqsjhnsnsux

Post by mrqsjhnsnsux »

Was it just me or did they turn the volume of the announcers down last night? The crowd noise was louder than Walton on several occasions when the crowd wasn't even that loud.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

"Thought he was really great last night. I'd do humungous mushrooms with Bill anytime."

Totally agree! My wife and I were laughing so hard as he came back to the mushrooms again and again. He definitely made a blow-out entertaining!

go Cats!!
Last edited by Catstatic on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

mrqsjhnsnsux wrote:Was it just me or did they turn the volume of the announcers down last night? The crowd noise was louder than Walton on several occasions when the crowd wasn't even that loud.

Wasn't just you.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ODogg tweeted that Bill told some UA fans to "fcuk those refs" when he was leaving.

http://akorra.com/2010/03/04/top-10-nat ... creations/

This fungus is so large that it has claimed the title of the largest organism on the planet. Whilst the Great Barrier Reef is actually a collection of separate organisms, this fungus is linked underground effectively making it one huge mushroom. It is so large that it spans 9 square kilometres (2,200 acres) of the Malheur National Forrest in Oregon. On the surface, this vast fungal colony is not so impressive to look at, sprouting only small visible mushrooms, but belowground it is the largest fungal colony in existence.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

as long as Bill isn't rambling during a big time game I don't care. During these cupcake blowout games he is hilarious and makes the game even better to watch. It is absurd but who cares.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

More on the "mushroom"

http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/c ... _mushroom/

We all learned something last night lol

I wonder if they turned his mic down due to the online petition...I rewinded and cranked the volume up a couple times
gumby

Post by gumby »

scumdevils86 wrote:as long as Bill isn't rambling during a big time game I don't care. During these cupcake blowout games he is hilarious and makes the game even better to watch. It is absurd but who cares.
What? To paraphrase a concerned poster: "Giving up a season high points to a bad horizon league team isn't something to laugh about."
gumby

Post by gumby »

mrqsjhnsnsux wrote:Was it just me or did they turn the volume of the announcers down last night? The crowd noise was louder than Walton on several occasions when the crowd wasn't even that loud.
Ludes kicked in. The time-released kind.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

He seemed extremely knowledgeable about mushrooms
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.