Ban Bill Walton Petition

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: Ban Bill Walton Petition

Post by scumdevils86 »

I rarely watch any game without it being muted. Walton or not.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Nice to see him on multiple Arizona games. He is a national treasure and makes the games so much more fun
And I'll continue to mute every game that he calls which isn't a blowout in our favor.
I use the mute button with Bill, not always, but often. Truth be told, although I have little in common ideologically with Dave Pasch, no one deserves the Walton mute button more than that dude.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

It's Dave, right?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

He was especially bad last night bagging on Arizona.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

I had the volume up off and on, but I assume it was Pasch ripping AZ? Walton is generally complimentary about AZ, the program, and its history. He is not always lucid, but he doesn’t usually do a hit job. One expects an imbecile like Pasch to follow the ESPN mandate on AZ.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

midnightx wrote:I had the volume up off and on, but I assume it was Pasch ripping AZ? Walton is generally complimentary about AZ, the program, and its history. He is not always lucid, but he doesn’t usually do a hit job. One expects an imbecile like Pasch to follow the ESPN mandate on AZ.
No Pasch last night or tonight.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

midnightx wrote:I had the volume up off and on, but I assume it was Pasch ripping AZ? Walton is generally complimentary about AZ, the program, and its history. He is not always lucid, but he doesn’t usually do a hit job. One expects an imbecile like Pasch to follow the ESPN mandate on AZ.
No it was an editorial decision from on high. They published a timeline graphic that was technically correct but used outright maliciously incomplete or irrelevant facts to paint a far uglier picture than should be painted. The most dramatic was listing Ayton’s family receiving payments, full stop, implying he was paid to come to Arizona when in fact if it happened it was Adidas associated people paying his family so he would go to Kansas. Just really shocking mis/disinformation attempting to paint the worst possible picture.
prh

Post by prh »

dovecanyoncat wrote:It's Dave, right?
Dave is not in Hawaii, but he had people tweeting at him thinking he is. Some dumb schmuck got sent there to be abused by Bill
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

He’s from Chicago and was last in Maui 3 years ago. And he’s not married.

He had no idea how to handle Walton
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

prh wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:It's Dave, right?
Dave is not in Hawaii, but he had people tweeting at him thinking he is. Some dumb schmuck got sent there to be abused by Bill
I know he's not. I was recapitulating Walton's abuse of Pasch, who, for any reason that might resonate with you, deserves it. I hope I also made it obvious that Walton deserves abuse at the hands of anyone who thinks he deserves it for reasons beyond his ideological disagreements with Pasch.

It's a marketplace of fuck you. Both of these retailers take their dollars and move on to their next gig.

~ Wilhoit's Law
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

hey bill, who the fuck is the big red nation?

stfu and go pop some pain relief man
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

All you Bill Walton lovers loving this tonight? Do you also enjoy zipping your pecker up into your fly?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

They tried waaaaaaay too hard with that tonight. It's not as fun when you mention it every 5 minutes.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I am the biggest Bill Walton hater you know ...... but tonight has been magic.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Since some people are so angered by Bill Walton getting in the way of the game they're trying to watch, I propose a compromise:

Bill Walton doing color commentary for a contest of treading water.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'd like to see him calling the National Spelling Bee.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Now I know where he got his stuff:

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

:D
-JB
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I hope they asked him some probing questions. Not about Bill Walton.
terryarms

Post by terryarms »

UAEebs86 wrote::D

Old uniforms still displayed on the walls : (
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m struggling to figure out what they could have possibly learned from Pasch.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat wrote:I’m struggling to figure out what they could have possibly learned from Pasch.
How to be a pompous ass with zero sense of humor?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote:
Chicat wrote:I’m struggling to figure out what they could have possibly learned from Pasch.
That jesus had a pet dinosaur.

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
84Cat wrote:
I can learn that on the interwebs & Dave Pasch has nothing on Sarah P

https://www.dailysquib.co.uk/most-popul ... saurs.html" target="_blank

https://madmikesamerica.com/2010/09/oh- ... o-existed/" target="_blank
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
84Cat wrote:
I can learn that on the interwebs & Dave Pasch has nothing on Sarah P

https://www.dailysquib.co.uk/most-popul ... saurs.html" target="_blank

https://madmikesamerica.com/2010/09/oh- ... o-existed/" target="_blank
It's worse than that you know: everywhere the Hubble telescope is aimed.....all it sees is Satan.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
84Cat wrote:
That was what I was thinking. Maybe there are some very specific things he can enlighten young people about, but Pasch definitely needs a tighter leash than Bill Walton.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Pasch has done his time in the trenches to get to where he is as a broadcaster, regardless of his belief system, he seems to be a solid guy and rarely wanders to far off of target (which working with Bill Walton requires super human stamina and persistence)...

I think he might have some insight to offer the guys on how to approach sports journalists and how to give a decent interview, maybe some wisdom on avoiding social media "gotcha's"...

Pasch if nothing else is a clean broadcaster...clean in todays culture is starting to be rarer than Jesus Dinosaurs...
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Notwithstanding my kneejerk snarkyness, I doubt Pasch would have even brought it up if not for Bill being stone deaf and stuck-on-transmit. I don't get the impression Pasch is an in-your-face evangelical, in fact he's probably the same measured guy whether he's alone with you or in a room full of people or in front of a nation wide camera broadcast. Bill, on the other hand, may be a regular, fun, and interesting guy all by himself, but in front of the bullhorn audience and he's a yammering rudderless runaway train of thought that makes all stops on the way to nowhere.

Of all the relentlessly enumerated fractures Walton has touted I have repressed whether one of them was his mandible. If I was Pasch, Walton would have had one more and I'd be out of a job and on parole.

~ Wilhoit's Law
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Pasch is an exceptional broadcaster. I very much enjoy his preparedness and professionalism.

We may not share a lot of beliefs about fossils or climate change or the book of revelations, but I trust him to opine on matters of broadcasting and media relations. Hopefully the players gained from the talk.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

YoDeFoe wrote:Pasch is an exceptional broadcaster. I very much enjoy his preparedness and professionalism.

We may not share a lot of beliefs about fossils or climate change or the book of revelations, but I trust him to opine on matters of broadcasting and media relations. Hopefully the players gained from the talk.
I'm in total agreement. But I'm agreeing to a bizarre combination that says a lot about how we negotiate today's world.

It's like your mother visiting you from St. Paul, and being taken aback when she realizes that your neighborhood ice cream man who hands treats to your kids is the same guy she saw in your local supermarket parking lot wearing just a pair of tighty whities. And you say, "He may wander around parking lots in his tighty whities, but I trust him to hand treats to my children."
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

YoDeFoe wrote:Pasch is an exceptional broadcaster. I very much enjoy his preparedness and professionalism.

As someone who hailed from the basic same paradigm world that Dave resides in I can vouch for the mixture that seems contrarian to those who espouse a more academic approach to life...

Consider our current climate of "fake news" or even better look at all the ways science of diet has changed its tune in the last many years...science in general makes adjustments on a regular basis, things once thought certain shift.

We are ALL skeptics in one form or another, some (most nowadays) are skeptical of religious/myth/etc...and those who are in the religious/myth/etc community are skeptical of science and shifting data...

"Coffee is bad for you" becomes "Coffee has health benefits"

"Fat is bad for you" use Canola oil becomes "Seed oils are making us all obese"

"Carbs are essential" now its "To many carbs not enough red meat cause insulin resistance" (See PD Mangan for the best reviews here)...

My point being that science by nature has moving data points and there has been a hostility to people of faith (competition for money or something I dunno)...

People of faith are skeptical of sciences intentions...mainly because when science paints people of faith it uses a broad brush to imply they are ALL people of dumb...which is not even remotely true...there are many sound scientist who ARE people of faith as well...science cannot explain everything yet.

As far as evolution and dinosaurs and faith THAT particular argument hangs on carbon dating for people of faith...(incorrectly so but nonetheless)...add to that skepticism that science has a long history of correcting itself and you are more concerned with your close knit family and community of support than you are for things far away (like the forest in Brazil) and its not hard to imagine why Dave might come across as skeptical of Bills rants regarding him destroying the future for his kids...Bill pushes science, but he might be the worst spokesperson for that debate on the planet.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Many of your examples above are because industry knows how to get the scientific results they want. Fats are still the primary driver of insulin resistance, not carbs although processed carbs are never good for you in any circumstance(check out the Harvard Nutrition site: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritions ... ull-story/" target="_blank). Industry learned from the cigarette industry how to get their story out before the science does.

To get back to the Pasch story, I will admit that he comes prepared but he brings no insight to the game for me. The paring of Walton/Pasch is idiotic in my view. Their run together has run its course and it's time for fresh voices.
Last edited by 84Cat on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm not saying anyone is dumb. I'm saying the belief that world is 5,000 years old is bonkers, and it's good to remember how Pasch doubled down on that idea during an actual broadcast. Sure, maybe he has some very useful advice for player interactions with the media, and that's an important thing. But there's a lot of freshmen in that room, and they're listening, so hopefully he stays on track for 30 minutes.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

84Cat wrote:The paring of Walton/Pasch is idiotic in my view. Their run together has run its course and it's time for fresh voices.
It's like so many things in Larry Scott's PAC-12: You take a good idea, or even a bad idea... and either way, you ignore the limitations, and protract it until you make it hard on everyone involved. This is Division 1 college sports. It's supposed to be fun, and make money for the athletic programs.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

This.

Why the original post about Pasch talking to the team has gone this many posts is beyond me. I mean do you guys honestly think he was spouting off about climate change or jesus to the team? Not every thing has to be political in 2019.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

In broadcasting, media, entertainment, etc...it's very simple: "They love you. Until they don't love you anymore."
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:

This.

Why the original post about Pasch talking to the team has gone this many posts is beyond me. I mean do you guys honestly think he was spouting off about climate change or jesus to the team? Not every thing has to be political in 2019.
That's not what anybody said, and it wasn't political. I think we all agree he has valuable things to say in spite of his absurd statements on a live television broadcast while kids are watching a sporting event. Just because we can't all agree on the value of Walton, it doesn't mean Pasch is off the hook.
prh

Post by prh »

I recently heard Pasch doing a broadcast of not-basketball, also not-Walton, and was pleasantly surprised. I think he'd have a much different broadcast career if he wasn't stuck babysitting Walton, which prevents him from appearing to have any sort of talent.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

zonagrad wrote:In broadcasting, media, entertainment, etc...it's very simple: "They love you. Until they don't love you anymore."
This doesn't apply to Charles Barkley, though.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Longhorned wrote:I'm not saying anyone is dumb. I'm saying the belief that world is 5,000 years old is bonkers, and it's good to remember how Pasch doubled down on that idea during an actual broadcast. Sure, maybe he has some very useful advice for player interactions with the media, and that's an important thing. But there's a lot of freshmen in that room, and they're listening, so hopefully he stays on track for 30 minutes.
6, 000+ years, we aren't that crazy to think it's only 5,000 years old, that's ridiculous. :D
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

prh wrote:I recently heard Pasch doing a broadcast of not-basketball, also not-Walton, and was pleasantly surprised. I think he'd have a much different broadcast career if he wasn't stuck babysitting Walton, which prevents him from appearing to have any sort of talent.
I've heard him do college football (I think?) or some other sport and it was jarring. He's just really good at his job - especially if he's around other professionals.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

YoDeFoe wrote:
prh wrote:I recently heard Pasch doing a broadcast of not-basketball, also not-Walton, and was pleasantly surprised. I think he'd have a much different broadcast career if he wasn't stuck babysitting Walton, which prevents him from appearing to have any sort of talent.
I've heard him do college football (I think?) or some other sport and it was jarring. He's just really good at his job - especially if he's around other professionals.
Yes, he does college football.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Yes, he does college football.
He's also the radio guy for the Arizona Cardinals.
-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
97cats

Post by 97cats »

hero

“I love cougars here in Maui”

Bill Walton
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My buddy who is helping me renovate my basement* just said, “I tried to watch that USC game last night but had to turn it off. Walton is unlistenable.”

*For you west coasters, a basement is an area under your house where you hide from tornadoes and your family