lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

lets talk '16

Post by 97cats »

Arizona is now two and three yrs ahead of the curve in terms of recruiting -- Coach Miller has developed the flexibility to be super selective in who he takes; below for '16 is no different.

TJ Leaf -- verbal commit

top prospects

Derryck Thornton Jr
Josh Jackson
M.J. Cage

thats top 5 class again -- and most likely there would be one more addition.

win win win
Beachcat97

Re: lets talk '16

Post by Beachcat97 »

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. What's the story with Rabb?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

thats in the let's talk '15 thread -- go there for referance
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

That class would be absolutely ridiculous. Josh Jackson is an absolute freak and in that top tier of players in a loaded 16 class at the top.

Can't believe there would be a 5th kid in that class. Another wing who perhaps can shoot the rock like Vance Jackson or a big?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. What's the story with Rabb?
Rabb in 16? Zero chance
Right where I want to be.
BeetzyB

Post by BeetzyB »

Tatum seems to be ballin out this year, is that stock going up 97?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

97cats wrote:Arizona is now two and three yrs ahead of the curve in terms of recruiting -- Coach Miller has developed the flexibility to be super selective in who he takes; below for '16 is no different.

TJ Leaf -- verbal commit

top prospects

Derryck Thornton Jr

Josh Jackson
M.J. Cage

thats top 5 class again -- and most likely there would be one more addition.

win win win
Don't really get this one, with PJC and Simon (and other combo 2's who can handle the 1 in stretches).

Would love it, but why? Would imagine other schools, especially UK, having a field day pointing out the PJC / Simon roster dynamic.
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Simon isn't strictly a PG and will see plenty of time elsewhere.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Want want want Josh Jackson.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

When might be the earliest the 2 year year in college might be in place? Hate these 1 and dones
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Just tell me he can make free throws.
Right where I want to be.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Thornton Jr. would probably be the best player on our '17 roster, and that's saying something. I read that he enjoyed a visit with Pitino. Calipari is after him, correct? As good as CSM is, this seems like a tough battle.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
97? Any chance?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Its nice the Thornton Jr. will be taking is unofficial visit during "College Gameday".
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

thenewazcats wrote:Thornton Jr. would probably be the best player on our '17 roster, and that's saying something. I read that he enjoyed a visit with Pitino. Calipari is after him, correct? As good as CSM is, this seems like a tough battle.
Going to be on a Duke visit with Swanigan for the unc/dook game tonight. not sure if its official or unofficial.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

We could find room for Thornton. Well, to be more accurate, he could make room for himself.

Kid is too special a talent not to fully pursue, roster makeup be damned. If he chooses not to come here due to other PGs on the roster, so be it. But he would, IMO, be a star from day one.

Want.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

As much as I want Thornton, doesn't it seem very unlikely given who we are competing with? Also I'm pretty sure he doesn't like Trier very much, so that's not going to be an easy sell unless CSM can claim Trier is a OND. That might be the case, but it's hard t guarantee something like that
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dcZONAfan wrote:As much as I want Thornton, doesn't it seem very unlikely given who we are competing with?
Duke, Louisville, and UK are our main competition for Thornton, and if memory serves we've both beaten them for recruits and they've beaten us. So I don't think it's "unlikely". More like a challenge. And I think Miller is up to it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:As much as I want Thornton, doesn't it seem very unlikely given who we are competing with? Also I'm pretty sure he doesn't like Trier very much, so that's not going to be an easy sell unless CSM can claim Trier is a OND. That might be the case, but it's hard t guarantee something like that
Unlikely? Arizona doesn't take a back seat to anyone. You lose some because other programs are attractive too, but we aren't some second rate school just happy to be there. It's like we're Sophie B Hawkins and recruits are our lover. We bring a lot to the table.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Fit (opportunity) and Relationships is what the game is about.

PJC and Simon won't scare him away because he's that good. But if there's another school that doesn't have that kind of talent at the PG position already, I'd choose the other school.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

dcZONAfan wrote:As much as I want Thornton, doesn't it seem very unlikely given who we are competing with? Also I'm pretty sure he doesn't like Trier very much, so that's not going to be an easy sell unless CSM can claim Trier is a OND. That might be the case, but it's hardly a guarantee something like that
did every one of you stop reading at the end of the first sentence and not read this? I'm not machina, folks. I think he would be stupid to consider anyone more than us, but if he doesn't like trier and he thinks they will be playing together his freshman year he isn't coming here with the caliber of schools also recruiting him.

The last Findlay game I watched, I don't even remember him passing to AT once. Seriously, that's really fucking hard to do.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:As much as I want Thornton, doesn't it seem very unlikely given who we are competing with? Also I'm pretty sure he doesn't like Trier very much, so that's not going to be an easy sell unless CSM can claim Trier is a OND. That might be the case, but it's hardly a guarantee something like that
did every one of you stop reading at the end of the first sentence and not read this? I'm not machina, folks. I think he would be stupid to consider anyone more than us, but if he doesn't like trier and he thinks they will be playing together his freshman year he isn't coming here with the caliber of schools also recruiting him.

The last Findlay game I watched, I don't even remember him passing to AT once. Seriously, that's really fucking hard to do.
Wasn't aware of that. That'd suck if true.

I really like Thornton. In case it was unclear
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

All-in on Josh Jackson.

I doubt UA ends up with Derryck Thronton, for most of the reasons mentioned herein (Trier, PG depth, other attractive options), none of which have to do with UA's stature as a program.

Really like Vance Jackson from Bosco and M.J. Cage from Mater Dei as well, but doubt UA ends up with either. Keep an eye on De'Aaron Fox, Isaac Humpheries, De'Ron Davis, Frank Jackson (virtually a 2018 recruit as he will go on a mission after HS), Markelle Fultz, and Ike Anigbogu as well. I think UA needs a SG and another big in this class to go along with Leaf and hopefully the #1 player in the class.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:As much as I want Thornton, doesn't it seem very unlikely given who we are competing with? Also I'm pretty sure he doesn't like Trier very much, so that's not going to be an easy sell unless CSM can claim Trier is a OND. That might be the case, but it's hard t guarantee something like that
Unlikely? Arizona doesn't take a back seat to anyone. You lose some because other programs are attractive too, but we aren't some second rate school just happy to be there. It's like we're Sophie B Hawkins and recruits are our lover. We bring a lot to the table.
A Sophie B Hawkins reference? That's awesome!
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Reydituto wrote:
Really like Vance Jackson from Bosco and M.J. Cage from Mater Dei as well, but doubt UA ends up with either.
I thought we were doing well with Cage?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Reydituto wrote:
Really like Vance Jackson from Bosco and M.J. Cage from Mater Dei as well, but doubt UA ends up with either.
I thought we were doing well with Cage?
I'm sure UA is doing fine with Cage, but it's a matter of a.) his dad's alma matter SDSU also doing well and b.) UA deciding if it wants to prioritize him.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Has there been any information on how the visist went with Thornton?
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

the real dill wrote:
The athleticism these days is so ridiculous. This kid looks like he's going to hit his head on the rim whenever he jumps towards the basket; and he's freaking 6'2! Lavine is like that too.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Coop Cat wrote:
That's cute that he included St. Louis.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Coop Cat wrote:
That's cute that he included St. Louis.
He likes the barbeque.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

2016 UPDATE

its all about Josh Jackson
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

I know it's a highlight video, but man I love that tape of Ike Anigbogu. I'd love to have a center who goes hard at the rim like that. Little mean streak in him. Some of those blocks were sick.
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

97cats wrote:2016 UPDATE

its all about Josh Jackson
Priority 1 for sure along with keeping TJ Leaf happy. Add Anigbogu and maybe Fultz to that class and oh boy that would be Miller's best class yet.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

correct, Goat --- but TJ Leaf is very happy with AZ right now......he would be happier if Jackson was a Wildcats too.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

While there is still a lot of smoke to clear (Tarcs decision, SJ's decision, Lee/Tollefson transfers) I think the most interesting development for next year will be Millers decision on who plays point guard. I see a wide range of options:

1) Miller sticks with the conventional PG and goes with PJC
2) Miller decides to go with defense and goes with Simon (6'5" with 6'11"" wingspan)
3) Miler goes with experience and offense and picks York (York/Trier or Lee in the backcourt might just
put an end to all of the sagging defenses we have seen over the past couple of years. Tarc would love that)
4) Miller decides to go with an attack the rim PG and goes with Kadeem Allen. This is a longshot but Allen does attack the rim better than any of the other guards and does play capable defense

Lots of options. I still believe that if SJ turns pro Millers best bet is a 3 guard offense:

C/PF Tarc/Ristic/Anderson
3G Lee/Pitts
2G Trier/York/Allen
PG PJC/Simon (or York/Allen)

Given the abundance of guards/depth I wouldn't mind seeing us press more often.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wait a minute, Simon's wingspan is 6'11". This I have to see. That is freakishly long. Has to be an outstanding defensive guard. He might grow a couple inches and move to the 3
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:Wait a minute, Simon's wingspan is 6'11". This I have to see. That is freakishly long. Has to be an outstanding defensive guard. He might grow a couple inches and move to the 3
6'11.25" to be exact:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/justin-simon

The biggest issue I see with PJC is his defense. I see quite a few teams isolating him and posting him up under the basket. Simon would be very difficult to attack.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Without a doubt DMJ. I would think PJC wil get a little stronger and with a year of experience he woild have a slight advantagebut if Simon has any lateral quickness then we have snother RHJ on our roster
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
97? Any chance?
Late to the game? Simmons visited Kansas this past season. Can't remember if it was for Late Night or a game.

Josh Jackson is your best bet, but is also a priority for Kansas. The guys who cover Kansas recruiting suggest he's a legit prospect to play a year overseas before entering the draft.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Please move enfuego's post to the Kansas thread.

This is the ARIZONA 2016 recruiting thread, all depressing Kansas recruiting discussion can go on in their thread.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

5-star combo guard Josh Langford receives offer from Sean Miller
Josh Langford is the No. 14 recruit in the nation for 2016 and holds offers to Florida, Michigan, Michigan State, Stanford, Texas, and Virginia, among others. You can now add Arizona to this list after Damon Stoudamire visited him on Sunday.

He is ranked as the No.1 player in Alabama out of Madison Academy.

At 6-6 200 pounds, Langford is the prototypical swingman for Sean Miller. You look at guards/wings like Kevin Parrom, Solomon Hill, Stanley Johnson and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and think about the success they had in Sean Miller's system.

The shooting guard and small forward position has solid depth going forward into 2016. Both Elliott Pitts and Kadeem Allen will be entering their final season as a Wildcat.

The question marks at the 2 and 3 position would be Allonzo Trier and Ray Smith, who would be sophomores in 2016. Both have the potential to declare for the NBA Draft after just one season, but neither are surefire lottery picks such as Aaron Gordon and Stanley Johnson.

It's so early in the recruiting process that it's hard to tell where guys will land in 2016. There are a few names out there that Arizona has given some attention and Josh Langford is certainly one name to pay attention to.
http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... h-langford

Quite the list of interested schools

Alabama
Auburn
Baylor
Connecticut
Florida
Gonzaga
Kansas
Louisville
Michigan
Michigan State
Mississippi State
North Carolina State
Oklahoma State
Providence
Stanford
Tennessee
Texas
UAB
Vanderbilt
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote: Quite the list of interested schools

Alabama
Auburn
Baylor
Connecticut
Florida
Gonzaga
Kansas
Louisville
Michigan
Michigan State
Mississippi State
North Carolina State
Oklahoma State
Providence
Stanford
Tennessee
Texas
UAB
Vanderbilt
He sounds like a heck of a player, but that is a formidable list of schools competing for him.

I'll wait for 97 to chime in.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

According to recruiting writers, he's wide open. Have to think the SEC is going to make a strong push to keep him close to home though.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:According to recruiting writers, he's wide open. Have to think the SEC is going to make a strong push to keep him close to home though.
Right. And how is UK not interested?