Time for a new script

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Time for a new script

Post by gumby »

Arizona leads the conference with a .507 field goal percentage. It's sixth in field goal percentage defense. Similarly, we rank higher in three-point shooting (sixth) than 3 pt. shooting defense (8th).

Cats are second in steals (hey, not allowed in packline!) and lead the conference in turnover margin.

Our rebounding numbers are mediocre. On the offensive glass, we're pretty bad.

Thus far, we are not the defending/rebounding demons of last year. One similarity: still suck from the line.

http://pac-12.com/content/mens-basketball-statistics
Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Re: Time for a new script

Post by Chicat »

Just goes to show what kind of impact Aaron Gordon had. Amazing defender and rebounder, especially on the offensive glass, but a terrible shooter. Take him out of the lineup and everything changes.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Shot up to second in rebounding margin. Now, third in scoring, and tops in scoring margin. If we shot free throws better (three more makes per game), we'd be the top scoring team in the league. I blame packline. :mrgreen:

Fourth in 3 pt. pct, and just passed the 96-97 team on that stat (.373 vs. .370). Also shooting better from the line and from the field than that team. Oh, and fewer turnovers, too.

But, yeah, just no offense. All defense with this team.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I'd imagine (or maybe hope) that people are (or should be) less concerned with where our numbers tack up in the pac12, and more concerned with where they stack up nationally....since winning the pac12 isn't the ultimate goal, but merely a stone in the path.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

gumby

Post by gumby »

Go right ahead. This is easier. :mrgreen:

Problem with the national stats is that Drexel, UT-Arlington, Hofstra and the like are included. Power-conference-only stats would be nice.

According to ESPN, we are:

8th in FG%
27th in PPG

82nd in 3pt shooting
99th in rebounding
242nd in FT shooting

The underlined belie the constant narrative we hear. FG% seems to be the one offensive stat that correlates best with the rankings. Even then:

Kentucky, 52nd
Wisconsin, 24th
Duke, 3rd
Gonzaga, 2nd
Arizona, 8th

(Notre Dame is first. Michigan St. first from behind the arc -- 45%)

So, probably best to look at W-L records ... but where's the fun in that!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I know AdjO isn't quite the most popular stat out there...but we are solidly in the top 20. Last year I don't think we reached the top 20 until right before the tourney.

I anticipate that once teams start facing better, or at least more challenging competition in conference, our metrics will continue to improve.

I second the motion for a new script. I don't see a problem nor a concern with either the offense nor the defense. True AG covered up alot of flaws on the defensive end...NJ too, to his credit. However, SJ is improving every game defensively, and the rest of the team is improving as well. If somehow refs could stop whistling Zeus for just being bigger than everyone else, it would help.

On a side note, the amount of whistles last night has my ears still ringing. I sure hope that the refs "let them play" in at least one of our games before March
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Although we are clearly not the defensive team we were last year and we likely wont ever be... I think one reason we are metrically weaker is we are playing a much deeper bench this year. Guys like Ristic and PJC get a lot more meaningful time than our 7/8th rotation players last year. On the flipside, our defense might hold up better later in the year with our starters hopefully having fresher legs and our bench better prepared to contribute when needed for extended minutes.

It was great to see the team so offensively explosive last night. Even though it still did not seem totally in sync. Plenty of room for improvement. Although it has been argued our best offense is SJ and RHJ bullying their way into the lane... I am hoping that gets more refined as we go... not sure they will continue to get the foul calls our way or be able to make some of those contested shots against better defenders.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Don't look now, but Arizona is starting games firing on all cylinders! The last two games have been hammer-meet-nail. Good luck getting back in the game with this team's defensive intensity. I know it's only two games, but ... wow!

Go Cats!!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Winger recently reminded us that in January, Kenpom's stats remove the pre-season predictions from the formulations, so it will be interesting to see those ratings going into conference play.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Longhorned wrote:Winger recently reminded us that in January, Kenpom's stats remove the pre-season predictions from the formulations, so it will be interesting to see those ratings going into conference play.
Would this make us jump in KenPom?

After our slate of wins (sdsu, gonzaga, michigan by 20, oakland by 30), it seems we would be higher in kenpom than 7th. What is it in the KenPom equation that is keeping us from making moves upwards?
cats101

Post by cats101 »

It's a much easier analysis to just say Arizona can't score.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

luteformayor2 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Winger recently reminded us that in January, Kenpom's stats remove the pre-season predictions from the formulations, so it will be interesting to see those ratings going into conference play.

After our slate of wins (sdsu, gonzaga, michigan by 20, oakland by 30), it seems we would be higher in kenpom than 7th. What is it in the KenPom equation that is keeping us from making moves upwards?
I have no idea. I imagine that it could slightly improve our AdjO and slightly decrease our AdjD. Whatever happens, the ratings for everyone should be more accurate in January, as far as I know.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

luteformayor2 wrote:

I think Kenpom takes scoring margin in to account, and we haven't blown out any of the good teams we've played. If Winger were around, he'd be worried. Me? I still say 20-0 or bust.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

cats101 wrote:It's a much easier analysis to just say Arizona can't score.
If we get our free throw percent upwards of 70% narrative changes.
Simple things these dolts can understand.