Best/Worst analysts/commentators/announcers

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Lofty

Re: Best/Worst analysts/commentators/announcers

Post by Lofty »

gumby wrote:Pretty much concur with ODogg's review. How Greg Anthony got the lead spot on CBS is a real mystery. Over-explains and says "as we talked about" and "in terms of" incessantly. Both just wasted words. "In terms of offense, they need to shoot better." Ugh. Shut up.

The Terps Len Elmore and Adrian Branch are boring and bad. Dookies Jay Williams and Shane Battier also bad, but Battier just getting started. Haven't seen ODogg's pew mate Jimmy Dykes this year. Hate him. Dakich is heading this way. Insufferable.

Miles Simon is decent. Corey Williams is not. Initially, liked Don MacLean, but he is verging into Anthony territory. Talks too much, repeats the same phrases. That droning voice doesn't help.

Vitale is a caricature. "Jumped the shark" has jumped the shark. Bilas is fine. Gottlieb has strong takes, but his ego is hard to handle.

Raftery is my favorite. Combines knowledge and humor better than anyone. And "organize the puppies" and "with the kiss" and "onions!" Grown to respect Fran Fraschilla. Has some good insights.

Walton a caricature and funny. But screws up a lot. Muehlebach is solid. Best of the Cats, now that Kerr is gone.

Jim Nantz. Always hunting for the "memorable" phrase, but he knows what he's doing. I know a lot of people didn't like Billy Packer, but I thought he was solid, if humor-impaired. He was better than Kellogg. Much better than Anthony.
Well, hell. I'm pretty much on board, verbatim. Pretty damn close, anyway.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Best in the game of basketball is Gus and Raftery.

Best of the period I can remember in all sports. Not in this order. I am sure I am forgetting someone big here.

Gus
Raftery
Jon Miller
Keith Jackson
Brent
Al
Kirk
Vern
Kevin H
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Lofty wrote:
gumby wrote:Pretty much concur with ODogg's review. How Greg Anthony got the lead spot on CBS is a real mystery. Over-explains and says "as we talked about" and "in terms of" incessantly. Both just wasted words. "In terms of offense, they need to shoot better." Ugh. Shut up.

The Terps Len Elmore and Adrian Branch are boring and bad. Dookies Jay Williams and Shane Battier also bad, but Battier just getting started. Haven't seen ODogg's pew mate Jimmy Dykes this year. Hate him. Dakich is heading this way. Insufferable.

Miles Simon is decent. Corey Williams is not. Initially, liked Don MacLean, but he is verging into Anthony territory. Talks too much, repeats the same phrases. That droning voice doesn't help.

Vitale is a caricature. "Jumped the shark" has jumped the shark. Bilas is fine. Gottlieb has strong takes, but his ego is hard to handle.

Raftery is my favorite. Combines knowledge and humor better than anyone. And "organize the puppies" and "with the kiss" and "onions!" Grown to respect Fran Fraschilla. Has some good insights.

Walton a caricature and funny. But screws up a lot. Muehlebach is solid. Best of the Cats, now that Kerr is gone.

Jim Nantz. Always hunting for the "memorable" phrase, but he knows what he's doing. I know a lot of people didn't like Billy Packer, but I thought he was solid, if humor-impaired. He was better than Kellogg. Much better than Anthony.
Well, hell. I'm pretty much on board, verbatim. Pretty damn close, anyway.
Yeah, I'm of similar mind. Would add that MacLean is hard to adjust to because he was such a dick as a player. I think he's done a pretty good job of being neutral but I can never trust a guy who sticks out his hand to help you up and then pulls it away.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Ian Eagle, Raftery's partner, is solid.

He tells the story of "onions!"
I remember it vividly. It was my first year and the Nets were playing a game down in Miami. And Kevin Edwards hit a big three from the corner to give the Nets a one-point lead late in the game. I had the call: ‘Edwards from the corner, three is GOOD.’ And Raf goes, ‘OOOOH, ONIONS!!!!’

And I turn to him, and I knew Raf’s Raf-to-English translation like the back of my hand. I was able to provide listeners with the track that they needed to follow along. But I had no idea what he was talking about. So I turn to him during the break and say, ‘Bill, Raf, I don’t get that, what is that? Onions? What, it was so good that you cried?’ He said, ‘Hey Bird (Raf’s nickname for Eagle) ... BIG BALLS.’ And that was it. That’s when ONIONS was born.”
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Dave Pasch is first-rate, but gets pulled into the clown car when with Walton.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

gumby wrote:Dave Pasch is first-rate, but gets pulled into the clown car when with Walton.
He is very good. Very good. But not all time.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

As the years go on, I dislike Pasch more and more. I don't mind Walton and his shtick anymore...but Pasch is not nearly the straight man he was anymore.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

PHXCATS wrote:
gumby wrote:Dave Pasch is first-rate, but gets pulled into the clown car when with Walton.
That'll work since he's a mere mortal.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

gumby wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
That'll work since he's a mere mortal.
Good pointout
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:As the years go on, I dislike Pasch more and more. I don't mind Walton and his shtick anymore...but Pasch is not nearly the straight man he was anymore.
You don't enjoy the comedy stylings of Walton & Pasch, the dynamic duo of sports and references you're too young or too interested in college basketball to appreciate?

It was better, in my opinion, when at least one of them was trying to comment on the game they are at. Now it's a race to see who is going to say the most obscure thing to get a rise out of the other.

Pass
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:As the years go on, I dislike Pasch more and more. I don't mind Walton and his shtick anymore...but Pasch is not nearly the straight man he was anymore.
You don't enjoy the comedy stylings of Walton & Pasch, the dynamic duo of sports and references you're too young or too interested in college basketball to appreciate?

It was better, in my opinion, when at least one of them was trying to comment on the game they are at. Now it's a race to see who is going to say the most obscure thing to get a rise out of the other.

Pass
Totally agree, but you have to hand it to those clowns for creating a brand for themselves. As annoying as it is, their clown act has become a very lucrative bread and butter. Dean and Jerry, Abbot and Costello, Rowan and Martin ... Bill and Dave.

Me too. Pass.
gumby

Post by gumby »

"I just report the facts and do all my shopping at Nordstrom."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/colle ... -1.2968928" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:"I just report the facts and do all my shopping at Nordstrom."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/colle ... -1.2968928" target="_blank
Somebody bronze this man. A true icon of color commentary.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:It was better, in my opinion, when at least one of them was trying to comment on the game they are at. Now it's a race to see who is going to say the most obscure thing to get a rise out of the other.
Well, call me a heretic if you wish, but I like it. At the end of the day, there is only so much you can say about the game when one team has a 15 point lead. Some times you just have to let the players play and the audience watch. When its close, they pay attention. Of course that doesn't work on radio, but it is just fine on TV.

For the record my favorite TV commentator team of all time was Pee Wee Reese and Dizzy Dean (mostly broadcasting Yankee games when the network owned them). I realize most of you have never heard of them, let alone actually seen or heard them working, but they were absolute masters and no one holds a candle to them today. Pee Wee used to delight in goading Dizzy (by pretending that he'd walk out if he did) into singing "The Wabash Cannonball" on air.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

I don't pay much attention to pro sports any more, however, I do watch the Super Bowl. I find that spectacle great entertainment from beginning to end ... the game, the ads, and the half time show. My bladder is thankful for the "pause" feature.

That said, I was surprised by how enjoyable Troy Aikman's commentary was. I thought he was really good. Perhaps not John Madden good, but good nonetheless. Funny thing is, I had to ask myself if there is such a thing as a UCLA accent. Aikman sounded remarkably similar to Don McLean at times.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Aikman's an Oklahoma kid and has always sounded like it to me.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

catgrad97 wrote:Aikman's an Oklahoma kid and has always sounded like it to me.
Aikman grew up in Cerritos, CA. Moved to Oklahoma with his family when he was 12. Played a couple of years at OU before transferring to UCLA. Hardly makes him an "Oklahoma kid".
gumby

Post by gumby »

gumby

Post by gumby »

God how I hate the split screen when Walton is doing games. Are you freaking kidding me with that? Half the screen is the game, the other half a picture of the announcers. Super! Let's just give them the entire screen, with the occasional live look in on the action.

It's so ridiculous when they're having an argument, and Pasch has to interject with, "And what a dunk by Trier!" Seems like Zo should apologize for interrupting that riveting debate on who should be eligible for MVP ... in the NBA!

This is on the producers. Just no respect for people who care about the game. Want to give Pasch and Walton a show? Knock yourself out. But people buy big screen TVs, and then ESPN cuts it in half.

Fuck off!
Last edited by gumby on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

gumby wrote:God how I hate the split screen when Walton is doing games. Are you freaking kidding me with that? Half the screen is the game, the other half a picture of the announcers Super! Let's just give them the entire screen, with the occasional live look in on the action.

It's so ridiculous when they're having an argument, and Pasch has to interject with, "And what a dunk by Trier!" Seems like Zo should apologize for interrupting that riveting debate on who should be eligible for MVP ... in the NBA!

This is on the producers. Just no respect for people who care about the game. Want to give Pasch and Walton a show? Knock yourself out. But people buy big screen TVs, and then ESPN cuts it in half.

Fuck off!
Exactly! That split screen clown show last night was really too, too much. I tune in to watch a basketball game with intelligent commentary, and I get a clown show with a side of basketball.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

My wife and I had to turn and watch something else and it was just killing us to do so but it was unwatchable. The clown show has to stop
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

For today's project, make your own de-waltonpaschintor:

Cut a 16:9 rectangle out of the left side of a large piece of cardboard. During split-screen intervals, hold up your de-waltonpaschinator in front of you at a distance that allows you to the cutout with the game action while obstructing Walton, Pasch, and the rest of the screen.

If you enjoy Bill Walton, chances are it's because you like the way he can fold unrelated commentary into his commentary of the game. The producers don't understand this, and think you're tuning into the game just to hear Walton, and you want to watch him as well.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

He has taken color commentary to an all-time low.

It's really just color right now because his commentary about the actual game, when he actually pays attention, is 90% off base.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'd like to know who was demanding a split screen.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:I'd like to know who was demanding a split screen.
Absolutely no one. And it's not as if they're doing anything. They're talking about shit totally unrelated to the game that's now half the size on my screen it was before. It's like if ESPN suddenly checked in on two morons in a bar in Sandusky Ohio debating whether Godzilla could beat King Kong.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I'd like to know who was demanding a split screen.
Absolutely no one. And it's not as if they're doing anything. They're talking about shit totally unrelated to the game that's now half the size on my screen it was before. It's like if ESPN suddenly checked in on two morons in a bar in Sandusky Ohio debating whether Godzilla could beat King Kong.
It's increasing in the occurrences. I know it was UW but the game was close and it happened a handfull of times, which was more than the time before (Oregon game?). It's awful. They are trying to make the Pasch/Walton pairing a "must see" thing, but the focus should never be on who is calling the game, during the game.

I don't mind either of the broadcasters when working alone, but together ESPN is ruining the product. I'd prefer FOX sports if I didn't get the animated MMA shit during the broadcast, or the advertisements that pop up like fucking ads on your computer screen.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

I've always wondered what kind of ratings a broadcast without commentary would get. Only ambient sound from the crowd. Maybe accompanied by text along the bottom that tells you who scored or stole the ball, etc. My biggest pet peeve regarding sports broadcasts is the fear of dead air. Like as soon as the play by play guy finishes his sentence, the color guy HAS to say something. And it see saws back and forth. Surely there are moments where you absolutely DON'T have to analyze every detail.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

LBdCactus wrote:I've always wondered what kind of ratings a broadcast without commentary would get. Only ambient sound from the crowd. Maybe accompanied by text along the bottom that tells you who scored or stole the ball, etc. My biggest pet peeve regarding sports broadcasts is the fear of dead air. Like as soon as the play by play guy finishes his sentence, the color guy HAS to say something. And it see saws back and forth. Surely there are moments where you absolutely DON'T have to analyze every detail.
I've had it happen from time to time with ESPN alternative feeds because the prior game on ESPN2 or whatever went to overtime. It's glorious. I can still make out would the public address announcer says about who got charged with the foul, etc.
gumby

Post by gumby »

LBdCactus wrote:I've always wondered what kind of ratings a broadcast without commentary would get. Only ambient sound from the crowd. Maybe accompanied by text along the bottom that tells you who scored or stole the ball, etc. My biggest pet peeve regarding sports broadcasts is the fear of dead air. Like as soon as the play by play guy finishes his sentence, the color guy HAS to say something. And it see saws back and forth. Surely there are moments where you absolutely DON'T have to analyze every detail.
I dream of this scenario. One issue is bleeping all the cursing. And not just Miller. NBC did an NFL game once (around 1980) with no announcers. College would be better with bands and cheerleaders.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:
I dream of this scenario. One issue is bleeping all the cursing. And not just Miller. NBC did an NFL game once (around 1980) with no announcers. College would be better with bands and cheerleaders.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Dave Pasch is my hero
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frybry02 wrote:Dave Pasch is my hero
He and Walton spent 3-4 minutes arguing about DeMarcus Cousins. Then back to drooling over Ennis's body. So...normal?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:Dave Pasch is my hero
He and Walton spent 3-4 minutes arguing about DeMarcus Cousins. Then back to drooling over Ennis's body. So...normal?
I love how he has just given up and just trolls Walton now
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Walton's stupid shtick of making up rules as he goes along and then getting offended when that's not the rule is so fucking dumb.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Chicat wrote:Walton's stupid shtick of making up rules as he goes along and then getting offended when that's not the rule is so fucking dumb.
Just watched the UW game replay for the second time and it was amazing at how bad Walton now is.....He really needs to retire and just fade away. Thank you for Luke Walton, the love you have shown the Arizona program BUT you are now absolutely horrendous and a complete joke of a commentator.

I dare any UA fan who loves/likes Walton to defend his commentary these days.....he actually ruined the game for us fans. And note to 'Dr, No' take that split screen garbage and shove it up your corn hole!

Most egregious point was the split screen, very close and tight game in the last 5 minutes or so....Walton jacking off the UW mascot and the scarf, Trier breaks away for the double clutch dunk SPLIT SCREEN (so hard to see in quality)....Pasch notices and calls it a Sports Center Top 10 play and that Walton missed it...Walton babbles something unrelated.....the replay is shown and Walton disses it saying dunking is the least skilled part of the game or something like that then Pasch argues with him using Zach Lavine / Aaron Gordon examples......etc. Giod grief, smh....

Rant over.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Glad I'm not the only one complaining about the split screen. Look, I get it. Walton had a big time stuttering problem early in adulthood. He got it corrected and now he talks and talks incessantly. That's fine....I can tune him out or I can turn down the volume. But why did ESPN introduce the split screen? I don't want to look at announcers during basketball action! I want basketball and I want it in full screen! ESPN you are ruining your telecasts with this decision. Anyone have an email address to ESPN?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ESPN has bought into the theory born on social media and forums like this one that Walton is "must watch" TV. Since we aren't going to boycott UA games he works, the only other option is to go back to social media and let them know they are ruining live sporting events with this inane idea that people tune in to watch (not just listen to) this man ignore the game he's supposedly offering color commentary on.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I watched the UW game without sound but I love Walton.

As for ESPN with him, there are two theories I have. They have done so many changes with their "talent" that they must know either a) people love him and he does help ratings even though everyone complains or b) he is really cheap compared to others.
gumby

Post by gumby »

The other thing is the vertical promos they display on the right third of the screen. They leave them up there during game action. Need to pimp your programs? Eliminate the sideline reporter, and do it then.

Seth is in town this week. That means sideline interview as the game is going on. Wonder if Miller will participate. Can't imagine him liking that distraction. Maybe he'll inadvertently smack him, or drop an F bomb.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dan Dakich apparently read a MyTwoCents tweet live on air. Not sure what she said about him, but knowing Lauren it probably wasn't flattering. Which stands to reason because he's fucking awful.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

I'd rather listen to Bill Walton talking about giant saguaros, El Niño, and the Grateful Dead than listen to Casey Jacobsen talking about Casey Jacobsen.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ugh....

Fuck that fucking split screen.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I thought this bump was going to be about the sideline announcer on the Chargers/Broncos MNF game.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I thought this bump was going to be about the sideline announcer on the Chargers/Broncos MNF game.
Between Hill and Dipp, ESPN has had better days.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

TatetheGreat wrote:
I know it will be Villanova or MSU, but is there a legit argument why ASU shouldn't be #1?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Frybry02 wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
I know it will be Villanova or MSU, but is there a legit argument why ASU shouldn't be #1?
I think ASU's win over KU has to be thought of like SMU's win over us. It's a nice road win but they caught KU at a bad time. It's hard to imagine going from #16 to #1 with wins over SJU and KU.

KenPom has ASU at #36, which I think is closer to reality than wherever they end up in the rankings.