Best/Worst analysts/commentators/announcers

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Best/Worst analysts/commentators/announcers

Post by Merkin »

Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Can't listen to many of these dudes anymore. Was just having a fun discussion with a buddy at lunch the other day about football announcers, Tony Romo, etc. and for my money, it didn't get much better than the early 1980's on NBC for the NFL and college basketball. Enberg/Olsen and Enberg/McGuire, Charlie Jones, Don Criqui, et al. Summerall/Madden was an iconic pairing for the NFL on CBS/FOX but nothing's really come close since that era for me.

These days for hoops, give me Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery and I'm set.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Pop McKale wrote:Can't listen to many of these dudes anymore. Was just having a fun discussion with a buddy at lunch the other day about football announcers, Tony Romo, etc. and for my money, it didn't get much better than the early 1980's on NBC for the NFL and college basketball. Enberg/Olsen and Enberg/McGuire, Charlie Jones, Don Criqui, et al. Summerall/Madden was an iconic pairing for the NFL on CBS/FOX but nothing's really come close since that era for me.

People love Romo. Madden, just no. Gus Johnson is the most overrated thing in sports. Raftery and Walton are the best in cbb.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I love listening to a game Gus is calling, when he's calling, it sounds like the most important game of the year.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

UALoco wrote:I love listening to a game Gus is calling, when he's calling, it sounds like the most important game of the year.
Exactly. Creighton playing St. John's on a frigid Nebraska night in January seems like it's THE place to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SunnyAZ wrote:
Pop McKale wrote:Can't listen to many of these dudes anymore. Was just having a fun discussion with a buddy at lunch the other day about football announcers, Tony Romo, etc. and for my money, it didn't get much better than the early 1980's on NBC for the NFL and college basketball. Enberg/Olsen and Enberg/McGuire, Charlie Jones, Don Criqui, et al. Summerall/Madden was an iconic pairing for the NFL on CBS/FOX but nothing's really come close since that era for me.

People love Romo. Madden, just no. Gus Johnson is the most overrated thing in sports. Raftery and Walton are the best in cbb.
When Raftery yells man to man, I want to punch the TV.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I thought the Dave Pasch / Sean Farnham pairing for the Alabama game was excellent.
gumby

Post by gumby »

This, all the way.
Right where I want to be.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

YoDeFoe wrote:I thought the Dave Pasch / Sean Farnham pairing for the Alabama game was excellent.
Agreed....Watching the replay on YouTube now and it’s soooooooo much better than Walton....They talk about the actual game almost all the time....imagine that....Maybe people / fans watch a game to actually watch the frickin’ game!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:I thought the Dave Pasch / Sean Farnham pairing for the Alabama game was excellent.
Agreed....Watching the replay on YouTube now and it’s soooooooo much better than Walton....They talk about the actual game almost all the time....imagine that....Maybe people / fans watch a game to actually watch the frickin’ game!
Yeah, but no reminder which conference is the Conference of Champions. Plus, neither one thanked someone for our lives.

Huge hole in the commentary.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

UALoco wrote:I love listening to a game Gus is calling, when he's calling, it sounds like the most important game of the year.
yeah, that's the point. He is a try hard. He's like a robot that is set on excitement the whole time. Everything isn't that cool dude and I'm watching the game and know it isn't despite your best efforts to make it seem like it. I also don't think he has any interesting takes or insights. To me he comes off as a dude that isn't that interesting but tries to cover it up by trying to make everything sound interesting.

I like listening to commentators that seem interesting or are having a good time. It doesn't even really have to be about the game cause I'm watching the game, I don't really need you to tell me what's happening. That's why I like Walton calling UA games, he isn't going to tell me anything about UA that I don't already know (unless it's the stuff where he talks to/about their families, which is always cool) so his ramblings are welcome. It doesn't really come off as well if he's calling a random game where I really don't know about either team playing tho, still more enjoyable than most.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SunnyAZ wrote:
yeah, that's the point. He is a try hard. He's like a robot that is set on excitement the whole time. Everything isn't that cool dude and I'm watching the game and know it isn't despite your best efforts to make it seem like it. I also don't think he has any interesting takes or insights. To me he comes off as a dude that isn't that interesting but tries to cover it up by trying to make everything sound interesting.

I like listening to commentators that seem interesting or are having a good time. It doesn't even really have to be about the game cause I'm watching the game, I don't really need you to tell me what's happening. That's why I like Walton calling UA games, he isn't going to tell me anything about UA that I don't already know (unless it's the stuff where he talks to/about their families, which is always cool) so his ramblings are welcome. It doesn't really come off as well if he's calling a random game where I really don't know about either team playing tho, still more enjoyable than most.
I feel like watching a game Walton is doing is the equivalent of watching at a random bar in an unfamiliar city, sitting next to a guy who won’t shut up about the awesome cleanse he just finished up.

No thank you.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:

I feel like watching a game Walton is doing is the equivalent of watching at a random bar in an unfamiliar city, sitting next to a guy who won’t shut up about the awesome cleanse he just finished up.

No thank you.
Except there's a mute button. I don't mind Walton bc when I feel like it, I listen. When I don't I mute.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

And on Ayton:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Shaq averaged 14 and 12 and never had the J Ayton has. Of course, he averaged almost 4 bpg too. Shaq is a weird comparison for Ayton for me. I see the Olajuwon, Robinson or Ewing ones better with his faceup game.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

I think he means "looks" as far as Ayton's size and physique. His game is much more akin to Ewing's.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Not exactly on topic but I just switched to espn2.
Vitale saying the ball brothers leaving UCLA is a great Xmas gift for Alford.

But the funny part is the description of the game is MI and TX: 2 ncaa blue bloods battle on the court.

I would never consider either a blue blood in basketball.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Postmaster wrote:Not exactly on topic but I just switched to espn2.
Vitale saying the ball brothers leaving UCLA is a great Xmas gift for Alford.

But the funny part is the description of the game is MI and TX: 2 ncaa blue bloods battle on the court.

I would never consider either a blue blood in basketball.
The WWL is just a perpetual hype machine now. I tune in for highlights, then get the hell out as quickly as possible.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Dick Enberg, RIP. Dammit.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Pop McKale wrote:Dick Enberg, RIP. Dammit.
Oh my.

Big part of my growing up, along with Vin Scully and Chick Hearn.

Enberg called our last Elite Eight victory.

Touch 'em all, Dick!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Dick Enberg, Eddie Einhorn and TVS. Read all about how college hoops made its way onto television, long after college football was already there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVS_Television_Network" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Can I nominate Greg Hansen in the print medium?

His article today is all about how Arizona is stressed and joyless and says UConn's bench was more fired up as opposed to the tense Arizona bench.

http://tucson.com/sports/greghansen/gre ... e-featured" target="_blank

Look at the highlights and you'll see the Arizona bench up on almost all baskets with Pinder waving a towel. Rawle was on the floor waving his hands to pump up the crowd, but Hansen has to keep beating the doomsayer drum. For a point of reference, look at Rawle's highlights:

https://youtu.be/oik18GTW0eg" target="_blank
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If Hansen were a political commentator, I think we all know the only place his "alternative facts" would still find him gainfully employed.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Usually in a close game the team that is a huge underdog is going to be more excited about it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SunnyAZ wrote:Usually in a close game the team that is a huge underdog is going to be more excited about it.
Yeah, but when Arizona's bench stood up to cheer, did it look like they were genuinely happy? We should bring in one of those body language experts from the cable news.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Walton: How's your dog?

Pasch: Died three years ago.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Eddie House isn't a good commentator
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wait, did ESPN really send Jeff Goodman to Lithuania to cover the Ball Bros arrival??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please tell me they are going to leave him there.

“I’m sorry sir, but there doesn’t seem to be a return ticket.”

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bangkok Wildcat

Good Lord Goodman is easily trolled and butt-hurt. Did ESPN send him out there to cover a couple of Ball kids who are never going to play in the NBA?

Will be so glad when their 15 minutes is over but I’m worried they will be the Kardashian’s of Basketball and ESPN will continue their click-baiting. Smh.
prh

Post by prh »

It's insane that ESPN tolerates Goodman and Dakich attacking people on twitter, especially since they've reprimanded other people for lesser things and changed their social media policies.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

prh wrote:It's insane that ESPN tolerates Goodman and Dakich attacking people on twitter, especially since they've reprimanded other people for lesser things and changed their social media policies.
Not to get politically but there is a huge difference between attacking one or two people vs attacking half the country
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
prh

Post by prh »

PHXCATS wrote:
prh wrote:It's insane that ESPN tolerates Goodman and Dakich attacking people on twitter, especially since they've reprimanded other people for lesser things and changed their social media policies.
Not to get politically but there is a huge difference between attacking one or two people vs attacking half the country
I'm not sure if you're referring to anything specifically (probably Jemelle), but my "lesser things" wasn't referring to anything politically. I know the policy changes followed political posts but they've taken issue with all sorts of stuff. They even told people not to break stories on social, although that hasn't really held up.

But I'd also say that attacking anyone shouldn't be tolerated, whether it's individuals or large populations. Not in general but especially not by ESPN.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

prh wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
I'm not sure if you're referring to anything specifically (probably Jemelle), but my "lesser things" wasn't referring to anything politically. I know the policy changes followed political posts but they've taken issue with all sorts of stuff. They even told people not to break stories on social, although that hasn't really held up.

But I'd also say that attacking anyone shouldn't be tolerated, whether it's individuals or large populations. Not in general but especially not by ESPN.
I agree that this type of childish behavior or attacks of any kind should not be tolerated. But for ESPN having people make politically comments risks a lot of viewership especially with their current reputation, attacking individuals risks one or two viewers.

I thought that only certain ESPN people were allowed to break stories on Twitter like WOJ and Schefter. But that really isn't a model that will be successful for them.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
If you’re referring to Jemele Hill, she only attacked one person.

This was the tweet that caused the controversy:
prh

Post by prh »

Moving on, I think we can all agree that Goodman is a poor representative of UA alumni and the UA, and should probably refrain from being childish on Twitter. He falls squarely into the "worst" category of this thread's discussion.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

prh wrote:Moving on, I think we can all agree that Goodman is a poor representative of UA alumni and the UA, and should probably refrain from being childish on Twitter. He falls squarely into the "worst" category of this thread's discussion.
Completely agree
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

So ESPN sent Goodman, a college basketball reporter, to cover a high school dropout and a college dropout debut in Lithuania. Couldn't happen to a better guy.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Looks like the Balls sat out because the opposing team wouldn't let them film their reality show. They will now debut at home on Tuesday.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How do you say “No one gives a shit” in Lithuanian? Wanted to let Jeff know in his new homeland’s mother tongue...
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chicat wrote:How do you say “No one gives a shit” in Lithuanian?
Pretty sure it's @GoodmanESPN. Could be wrong, but I doubt it.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TucsonClip wrote:
I just looked it up. You are absolutely correct.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

He just re-stuffs his cheeks with butterscotch Lifesavers and keeps going and going and going

Bangkok Wildcat

TucsonClip wrote:
Hysterical, thanks Clip!

How embarrassing that he’s a Wildcat.....belongs with the Kardashian’s of Basketball now...smh. How can anyone EVER take him seriously again? Especially with his click-bait attack on Luke Walton? Ughhh.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

TucsonClip wrote:
Or "niekas neduoda šūdas"

Interchangeable really
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Goodman making friends.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fuck Jeff Goodman. I hope Lithuania is added to the travel ban and both him and the Balls get stuck there forever.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

He through aside professional objectivity to go after Luke Walton because he's a realist, not a homer.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

PJC having to answer questions about Goodman's tweet is fucking awful. Fuck him and all that he is.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Olsondogg wrote:PJC having to answer questions about Goodman's tweet is fucking awful. Fuck him and all that he is.
Ditto