Press Conference Links, News (and Discussion)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

Re: Press Conference Links (and Discussion)

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I went ahead and made the thread sticky. If anyone has a problem with that please let me know, otherwise I think it's a good idea for the next few weeks.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I love that Miller managed to mention Mater Dei like 3 times when answering a question about Stanley.

Is there ever a word spoken by CSM that does not have a point? He is the best going-into-halftime interview by far. And he was perfect in the presser today, giving Gabe props, touching on Elliott's contributions, and calling out Mater Dei as a major factor in Stanley's development as a basketball player. Think MD alums aren't taking note? Think Coach McKnight doesn't notice?

Next time a Mater Dei player is being recruited at a high level, I would imagine such comments, no matter how true, can only help.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

I can't find where they hide these damn press conferences but found the OSU post game transcript on FB:

THE MODERATOR: We're joined by Ohio State head coach and student-athletes. We'll begin with a statement from Coach Matta.
COACH MATTA: You know, got beat by a great basketball team today. We were in the position we wanted to be in at halftime. They had that little run on us there. We fouled, allegedly, at the half a couple of times and put them on the line. But I thought we were in pretty good shape. They came out, made some great plays. Obviously the rebounding was a big key.
THE MODERATOR: Questions for the student-athletes.
Q. Shannon, how well do you think your guys' zone defense was working in the first half? What kind of changed there in the second half?
SHANNON SCOTT: I mean, it worked great for us. Got like 26 points in the first half or something like that. I think in the second half we kind of got out of shape, got into the middle a little too much and then York had a hell of a half really. He hit about four threes, and that really just opened it up for them.
THE MODERATOR: Gentlemen, thank you. Questions for Coach Matta.
Q. What were they doing on Russell throughout the game that was giving him trouble?
COACH MATTA: You know, they had great length out there. Obviously they were committing two guys to him off the ball screen and did a really nice job. You know, with that length, it was a little bit difficult to see around. But I thought he had some great looks at the basket. Unfortunately it was kind of one of those days for him in terms of the shots not going down. But as I told him, hey, he's got to keep shooting. We were hoping, as he's done so many times this year, he's kind of caught fire and put us on his back. It was unfortunately one of those games. The size may have had a little to do with it.
Q. Good defensive job, but York got off. Did he surprise you with what he did?
COACH MATTA: No. Obviously he was in there to do one thing and one thing only. In the first half they had a couple decent looks that didn't go down for them. Once he got going, and we made a couple of big-time
mistakes in terms of our rotations, you know, that was kind of the difference in the game. They got into double-digits there. We were telling our guys, Hey, they got one guy out there that's looking to shoot the basketball. The MVP for Arizona was McConnell. That kid was unbelievable both offensively and defensively today. Just did a great, great job. I kind of like coaching because he's out there having the time of his life.
Q. You know Sean Miller well. You've seen his teams. Where would you put this Arizona team? COACH MATTA: You know, I think this is probably, without a doubt, maybe his best team. You know, we were talking about it the other day, probably 15 years ago to the day, I think I was a 10 seed and Arizona was a 2 seed with Gardner, Arenas, Jefferson, Wright and Woods with like nine All-Americans on the bench. That was a heck of a basketball team, too. I think Sean is doing a tremendous job when you watch him and you really zone in, preparation. You watch him during the year, I'm watching late-night TV, but when you start studying him, I mean, Sean is doing a heck of a job putting those guys in position to be successful. Quite honestly, we had to sort of pick our poison in terms of what we wanted to do today defensively because they can hurt you in so many different ways.
Q. Are you okay losing like that, you said the zone was okay?
COACH MATTA: When you sit down to prepare, they're a team, I don't know how many they shot today, 19 threes. The most I think they had taken was 21. They wanted to go inside on us. I thought we did a pretty good job with our interior defense. Like I said, we had to choose sort of one or the other. Once you hit a couple, we got out of it. They got us a little inside. I think when you're playing a team the caliber of Arizona, you need a little bit of luck, you need him to miss a couple of those. But, you know, with that said, to do over again, I would have done the exact same thing that we did.
THE MODERATOR: Coach, thank you. Appreciate it.
Bangkok Wildcat

EVCat wrote:I love that Miller managed to mention Mater Dei like 3 times when answering a question about Stanley.

Is there ever a word spoken by CSM that does not have a point? He is the best going-into-halftime interview by far. And he was perfect in the presser today, giving Gabe props, touching on Elliott's contributions, and calling out Mater Dei as a major factor in Stanley's development as a basketball player. Think MD alums aren't taking note? Think Coach McKnight doesn't notice?

Next time a Mater Dei player is being recruited at a high level, I would imagine such comments, no matter how true, can only help.
Agreed EVCat, the Dude is a natural born leader and coach. I love his recruiting prowess and the character of young men he brings into the program.

On a side note, I could see TJ being his Assistant Coach someday down the road.....hopefully after he's had a chance to play professionally.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

If anyone would prefer to read, instead of watch, our post game press conference from the osu game:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=107741
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

some locker room post game questions/answers

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

PieceOfMeat wrote:If anyone would prefer to read, instead of watch, our post game press conference from the osu game:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=107741
Thanks PoM!
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Sean Miller is awesome
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Coach always delivers good interviews...telling it like it is.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Rondae is awesome.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Olsondogg wrote:Rondae is awesome.
the look on tj's face at end of rondae's opening statement - lol
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Did anyone else notice that TJ commented about RHJ's jealousy?

Troubles ahead.....

Bangkok Wildcat

This team is so damned likeable......as much as last year. At the beginning of the year I was concerned how we would deal with the loss of Nick but TJ has stepped up and filled that leadership role so well.

Also, completely agree with ODogg....love RHJ so much. Want him and the others leaving this year to go out with a huge bang.....however, one game at a time. Beat Xavier!!! Bear Down.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Loved the Press Conference. Thanks for the share,84.

Every time I hear a pre or post game player conference I end up thinking this is the best bunch of guys I've experienced at Arizona and feel how great it must be to play with them. They're smart, collegial, and appreciative of each other. It's always so clear that Coach has actually achieved that impossible magic of recruiting elite athletes who are also real. In spite of having achieved amazing success in HS and travel club ball where they were treated like royalty long before they achieved the emotional maturity to deal with it.

It's obvious that our recruiting gears off personal characteristics as well as athletic ability. And that when players get here Coach throws his leadership and fairness at them and voila, we've got a team to be really proud of.

Bear Down!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Miller on radio
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Stanley and TJ after interviews

http://websta.me/p/949700043677309934_193765965
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Last edited by FightWildcatsFight on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thanks FWF. I edited your post to embed the links. To embed YouTube videos, hit "share", "embed" and then copy that code and paste it between the YouTube tags.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Class + Class + Class.

Thanks for posting those. Want the best for these guys. Easy to root for.
Right where I want to be.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

friday's presser + breakout interviews:

WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

These vids are awesome, thanks for posting guys. Lol at TJ and Rondae in that 3rd video - how miller makes them better - at about 2:12 rondae says "thank you" - tj looks over with a "you're welcome" and they start laughing. Little things like that makes me love these guys and their camaraderie/chemistry. Reminds me of back in the days playing high school ball and having that group of guys to always joke around and hang around with...love it.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

WildHolcs wrote:These vids are awesome, thanks for posting guys. Lol at TJ and Rondae in that 3rd video - how miller makes them better - at about 2:12 rondae says "thank you" - tj looks over with a "you're welcome" and they start laughing. Little things like that makes me love these guys and their camaraderie/chemistry. Reminds me of back in the days playing high school ball and having that group of guys to always joke around and hang around with...love it.
If it is possible my respect for Sean Miller went up a notch. I like when SJ talked about how CSM told him he wasn't promising him playing time but to honor the process. CSM is a very genuine and honest coach. It's why we do so well in winning recruiting battles (even though we still don't win them all).
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

pretty tough to watch TJ's postgame interview (c/o wildcatAuthority)

EDIT: just saw that merk had this posted in another thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1048&start=250#p103511
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=107979

Post game presser transcript, cpl things CSM had me scratching my head
Opening statement CSM: I'm not apologizing for anything...Their offense was like a video game. I'd like to say it was our players fault or that we weren't playing hard. Sam Dekker and Kaminsky are really good
C'mon coach some shared responsibility would be expected. The bolded could be taken the wrong way.

- the players hit 26-28 free throws, can't complain about their shooting really

- were the players put in the best position to win with Ashley stuck trying to be an AaronG-type defender on Kaminsky? Ashley is not a defensive stopper but he's gonna guard 7-0 Kaminsky the probable POY in a man-to-man scheme? 2 fouls in 90 secs and BA is out for the rest of the 1H.

- was the team ready to go at tipoff? Slow starts are common, and we put up a measly 2 pts for the first 4-6 min. Stan was the offensive engine did we do anything structured to get him going or we just freelancing with RHJ shooting 3s and J's ( love RHJ but we all know that's not his shot)

Perhaps the emotions are too raw but I think CSM can (and will) do better.
CSM: We tried everything on defense, emptied the bucket and it's a big one
I can think of a bunch of things that are banned from the bucket and weren't tried:

Any different defensive scheme than pack line, for a curveball, new look, make UW stop and think for a few seconds
Box-1
2-3 zone
3-2 zone
1-3-1 zone
Pressure zone
Trapping zone
Any zone
Pressing before it's desperation time
Gambling on D
D that doesn't involve Pitts and facing an impossible defensive assignment (Dekker)

How about the Offense bucket? Did we ever try:
Making a point to push tempo and tire Flopping Frank out, I don't know how bout we take all that 5* athleticism that's oozing from the team and actually use to our advantage? this isn't a Xavier team with scrappy uber driver centers and diamond-in-the rough tweeners.
Last edited by RiseAndFire on Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

You obviously didn't even read what you bolded. What a stupid post.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

RiseAndFire wrote:http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=107979

Post game presser transcript, cpl things CSM had me scratching my head
Opening statement CSM: I'm not apologizing for anything...Their offense was like a video game. I'd like to say it was our players fault or that we weren't playing hard. Sam Dekker and Kaminsky are really good
C'mon coach some shared responsibility would be expected. The bolded could be taken the wrong way.

- the players hit 26-28 free throws, can't complain about their shooting really

- were the players put in the best position to win with Ashley stuck trying to be an AaronG-type defender on Kaminsky? Ashley is not a defensive stopper but he's gonna guard 7-0 Kaminsky the probable POY in a man-to-man scheme? 2 fouls in 90 secs and BA is out for the rest of the 1H.

- was the team ready to go at tipoff? Slow starts are common, and we put up a measly 2 pts for the first 4-6 min. Stan was the offensive engine did we do anything structured to get him going or we just freelancing with RHJ shooting 3s and J's ( love RHJ but we all know that's not his shot)

Perhaps the emotions are too raw but I think CSM can (and will) do better.
CSM: We tried everything on defense, emptied the bucket and it's a big one
I can think of a bunch of things that are banned from the bucket and weren't tried:

Any different defensive scheme than pack line, for a curveball, new look, make UW stop and think for a few seconds
Box-1
2-3 zone
3-2 zone
1-3-1 zone
Pressure zone
Trapping zone
Any zone
Pressing before it's desperation time
Gambling on D
D that doesn't involve Pitts and facing an impossible defensive assignment (Dekker)

How about the Offense bucket? Did we ever try:
Making a point to push tempo and tire Flopping Frank out, I don't know how bout we take all that 5* athleticism that's oozing from the team and actually use to our advantage? this isn't a Xavier team with scrappy uber driver centers and diamond-in-the rough tweeners.
We have never played zone all year so suggesting we "try it" in the most important game of the year makes no sense whatsoever.

And you can't push tempo when the other team is making shots - you realize that don't you?

This post has Monday morning quarterback written all over it. They shot the friggin lights out in the second half end of story.
Our offense was fine, our defense was fine, our coaching was fine.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

agreed, EastCoastCat. i remember CSM experimented with a 2-3 zone in the preseason and was like, "uhhhh, forget that" after the game. switching to zone last night would not have mitigated all those threes last night, and we would have gotten destroyed on the glass
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

No zone was going to stop those 3's from raining down. That is where Wisconsin won the game; the second half was unstoppable. Maybe AZ broke down on defense for 2 or 3 of these 3's, but many of those shots were contested, low-percentage attempts that went in nevertheless. Nothing could have prevented those 30 second half points.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Not sure where to put this, Jason & 97 post tournament podcast:

http://www.podbean.com/media/player/emb ... podcast%2F
Last edited by 84Cat on Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Is there a way to embed iframe content?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Merkin wrote:
Thanks for sharing Jon's share, Merk. Super discussion. Leaves me stoked!
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Red-Blue postgame presser: http://www.arizonawildcats.com/mediaPor ... m_id=30700" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Sunday presser: http://pac-12.com/live/university-arizona" target="_blank
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

chico state postgame pressah (CSM, anderson / zeus)
http://www.arizonawildcats.com/mediaPor ... M_ID=30700" target="_blank

postgame interview with brian jeffries
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Will someone post a link to the live presser after the game?

Thanks
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

CBCat

Post by CBCat »

HiCat I really appreciate this.
As silly as it sounds, I've got really old software on my laptop and lately can't the video doesn't play from the Arizona Athletics site and the Pac12 network.
Was able to see all four interviews, the presser, the player presser, Kadeem's interview and the Brian Jeffries radio interview. Thanks!!!!!!!!!
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

CBCat wrote:
As silly as it sounds, I've got really old software on my laptop and lately can't the video doesn't play from the Arizona Athletics site and the Pac12 network.
Was able to see all four interviews, the presser, the player presser, Kadeem's interview and the Brian Jeffries radio interview. Thanks!!!!!!!!!
CB where did you see the player presser? I only see CSM's and would love to see the player one too
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
CBCat wrote:
CB where did you see the player presser? I only see CSM's and would love to see the player one too
Oops so sorry. I saw the players full presser here, front page: http://www.scout.com/college/arizona/fo ... -tradition" target="_blank

The Sean Miller portion here ^^ I believe is not the full presser.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sean Miller after Bradley

"40 in a row tonight" ;) = part recruiting message to JJ?

Miller's pressers are coaching clinics, lotta insight on games, strategy, importance of fan support, player development, refs...on and on. Good stuff.

http://www.scout.com/college/arizona/st ... er-bradley" target="_blank

Kaleb Tarczewski & Allonzo Trier - Bradley post game

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/2015/11/16 ... me-presser" target="_blank
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

presser feed is live: http://pac-12.com/videos/university-arizona" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Any others?

Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Various post game interviews here: CSM, Dusan and York and a video game recap

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/mediaPor ... id=4716698" target="_blank
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

[quote="Lute4God"]Various post game interviews here: CSM, Dusan and York and a video game recap

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml" target="_blank seems to work well for all the achived post game interviews including Northwestern State.

Deserves a bookmark!
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

abridged providence post-game press conference from OC (CSM, anderson)
http://arizonawildcats.com/mediaPortal/ ... M_ID=30700" target="_blank

coach acknowledged our share of "dumb plays" but likes level of effort he saw on the floor vs. the friars. optimistic about the team's growth and potential.

no soundbytes from anderson in this clip, but his body language kind of says it all.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller talks Cats' options without Zeus

http://tucson.com/online/video/watch-mi ... 51273.html" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Coach Sean Miller following Arizona's 68-63 win at Gonzaga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxBHr42UmTI" target="_blank