POY, COY, etc.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

POY, COY, etc.

Post by gumby »

Put them here.

Based on preseason poll, Oregon finished +6. Altman wins. (ASU, OSU also did well by this metric. CU was -7.)

POY, TJ. FOY, Johnson. Repeat!

Defense: Rondae.
Right where I want to be.
ASUHATER!

Re: POY, COY, etc.

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well final standings compared to media poll predictions (+/-)

Arizona --
Oregon +6
Utah -1
Ucla --
Asu +4
Stanford -1
Oregon state +5
Cal -1
Washington state +2
Colorado -7
Washington -5
Usc -2

Colorado and uw obviously the biggest disappointments, Coy should be between Altman, Tinkle and Sendek.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'd say Altman but it's too bad he's a giant piece of shit
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

All Pac 12:

TJ
RHJ
SJ
BA
KT
GY
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

This award goes to the

Chef of the Year

for overcoming his own failure to procure fresh produce and quality ingredients and yet still produces the bottom end of the top quarter of food of all restaurants in the city.

CONGRATULATIONS!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Dear Maestro Amazingissimo,

We write to inform you of our regret that you did not win the city's Chef of the Year Award. Your cuisine has been universally acknowledged as the best cuisine in the city, which has resulted in a packed house of diners ever night who reserve tables well in advance. However, the committee had concerns about your successful efforts in obtaining high quality ingredients for the preparation of your foods, and that your food won the highest marks for appearance, texture, and taste. Unfortunately for your case, that superiority was expected. So we awarded the guy with the plastic hair.

Sincerely,
Longhorned
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not sure about the entire all Pac team, but I'd think these names would be included:

TJ
SJ
Randle (STAN)
Young (ORE)
Booker (CU)
Lacy (CAL)
Powell (UCLA)
Wright (UTAH)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

POY - TJ
FOY - SJ
DPOY - RHJ (did you know that Arizona has never had a kid win this?)
Most Improved - Josh Hawkinson
COY - should be Tinkle, but it will probably be Altman.

Altman didn't have to run off Joseph Young and his teams did not play a lick of defense. He is in no way the Coach of the Year in my book.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Whatever you do, don't give the Coach of the Year Award to the coach of the year. Don't give it to the best recruiter and program manager who achieves the highest results. After all, that coach won a conference championship, so that has to count against him. Instead, give it to the guy with the shady ethics who fails to create a safe environment for players and students, but won more games than we thought he would.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:Whatever you do, don't give the Coach of the Year Award to the coach of the year. Don't give it to the best recruiter and program manager who achieves the highest results. After all, that coach won a conference championship, so that has to count against him. Instead, give it to the guy with the shady ethics who fails to create a safe environment for players and students, but won more games than we thought he would.
Word.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well to be fair Miller didn't exactly exceed expectations or do something fantastic this year. He simply did his job and what was expected. Not exactly of deserving an award. It should be for someone who went above and beyond and exceeded expectations. They don't give medals of honor to the guy that did a good job on sentry duty or had an average day cleaning his rifle and in PT.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:Well to be fair Miller didn't exactly exceed expectations or do something fantastic this year. He simply did his job and what was expected. Not exactly of deserving an award. It should be for someone who went above and beyond and exceeded expectations. They don't give medals of honor to the guy that did a good job on sentry duty or had an average day cleaning his rifle and in PT.
It's "Coach of the Year". What part of coaching doesn't include recruiting, program management, ethics, and winning? He won back to back conference championships. That isn't the soldier who had an average day cleaning his rifle. The only reason he isn't exceeding expectations is because he's so freaking successful that he raises his own bar. It makes no sense to withhold an award because he made the best product and did it the right way.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Telling a bunch of AZ fans that Miller deserves COY is really, really preaching to the choir, but Longhorned is making a nice argument.

Altman overcame a lot and is going to get his team to the NCAA tournament, so I'm assuming he'll get the award.

And besides, I'm pretty sure Miller won't give a crap if Altman gets it. He's got his sights set on the FF, which means more than any award.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Well to be fair Miller didn't exactly exceed expectations or do something fantastic this year. He simply did his job and what was expected. Not exactly of deserving an award. It should be for someone who went above and beyond and exceeded expectations. They don't give medals of honor to the guy that did a good job on sentry duty or had an average day cleaning his rifle and in PT.
It's "Coach of the Year". What part of coaching doesn't include recruiting, program management, ethics, and winning? He won back to back conference championships. That isn't the soldier who had an average day cleaning his rifle. The only reason he isn't exceeding expectations is because he's so freaking successful that he raises his own bar. It makes no sense to withhold an award because he made the best product and did it the right way.
To me it is average. Miller is that good and has that high of expectations here that him meeting them is just a normal job completed

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

When you look at highly successful programs, the coaches rarely get the recognition they deserve. How many COY awards did Lute deserve and how many did he actually get? I'd bet the ratio is 3 to 1.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:Telling a bunch of AZ fans that Miller deserves COY is really, really preaching to the choir, but Longhorned is making a nice argument.

Altman overcame a lot and is going to get his team to the NCAA tournament, so I'm assuming he'll get the award.

And besides, I'm pretty sure Miller won't give a crap if Altman gets it. He's got his sights set on the FF, which means more than any award.
I agree on all fronts, and I understand giving the award to a great recruiter and game strategist who overcomes a roster with injuries, but that's not the case with Altman. To say that he's the coach of the year is to come to some kind of unsaid agreement on a very narrow understanding of what coaching is, just for the convenience of giving it to the guy whose team won more games than we all thought they would.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:When you look at highly successful programs, the coaches rarely get the recognition they deserve. How many COY awards did Lute deserve and how many did he actually get? I'd bet the ratio is 3 to 1.
There should be some kind of language that explains that the Coach of the Year is something different than the name of the award implies.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Miller needs to do a better job in the offseason of convincing others that he has a crappy team. Until Miller learns to do that he'll never be worthy of coach of the year
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote: COY - should be Tinkle, but it will probably be Altman.

Altman didn't have to run off Joseph Young and his teams did not play a lick of defense. He is in no way the Coach of the Year in my book.
Ex-fuckin-actly.

Altman's issues were of his own doing and his team doesn't play on one side of the ball. He did a fine job, but he's not COY.

I think it should go to Miller, I really do, and that's without the homer-goggles on.

I guess if it's not going to Miller, then give it to Tinkle, who did a damn good job with what he walked into. Much more deserving than Altman.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

I really don't care about Sean Miller getting COY and I doubt he does either, I do care about our players being properly recognized by the league and having their legacy cemented with their name on a banner in the ring of honor.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Any idea when the awards will be announced?
Zero

Post by Zero »

Tomorrow
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

Pardon my ignorance; who votes / how is are the winners chosen?

thanks
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

psiclist23 wrote:Pardon my ignorance; who votes / how is are the winners chosen?

thanks
Coaches vote.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Coaches vote for the POY. I think the media votes for the COY but maybe it is the coaches too
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Why should the award go to Tinkle exactly? I get his team overperformed preseason rankings, but the COY should be much better than 1-8 on the road.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

If Tinkle had made the tournament he'd be a lock. But giving COY to a coach of an NIT team doesn't seem right to me, no matter how much they overachieved.

It's too bad Utah fell apart at the end or Larry K would've been an easy choice. Miller seems like the obvious choice to me, but unfortunately it'll probably be Altman.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
cats101

Post by cats101 »

If COY went to the coach who's team won the conference there would be no point in voting.

I've seen the Altman argument over and over the past few days and I just don't see it. He should win COY imo.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Beachcat97 wrote:Not sure about the entire all Pac team, but I'd think these names would be included:

TJ
SJ
Randle (STAN)
Young (ORE)
Booker (CU)
Lacy (CAL)
Powell (UCLA)
Wright (UTAH)
Any all Pac team that leaves Rondae off is dead to me.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Don't understand why there should be any discussion.

COY is Sean Miller.

Any other choice would be uncivilized.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

cats101 wrote:If COY went to the coach who's team won the conference there would be no point in voting.

I've seen the Altman argument over and over the past few days and I just don't see it. He should win COY imo.
Fine, but then the award needs a new name. Like "Asshole with Bad Hair who Lost Control of His Program but Still Wins Enough for Third Place"
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cats lost 3 games they should not have. Cats should be undefeated, at least according to Bill Walton.

But I don't even know what COY means. Seems that the PAC champ should be the automatic winner.

Same with POY. Is that the same as MVP? MOP?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think the coach of the year needs to have beaten every other team in the conf. at least 1 time during the year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The only guy who doesn't have any warts on him is Miller and he is penalized by expectations?

I would put it in this order: Miller, K, Tinkle, Sendek and then Altman.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Tinkle did the most amazing job, coaching wise, that I have seen in some time. Almost to the level of Lute going from Ben Lindsay to immediately competitive in the PAC. He took a roster with one real player, one brother of a guy who was a decent player, and a bunch of guys that either weren't there or weren't used correctly, and made the Beavers a really difficult out...as we discovered.

Altman's job was made difficult because of his own douchebaggery and lack of filter on who he recruited. But he had talent...Oregon recruiting had not been near the depths of Oregon State. Even their misses were bigger names than OSU's hits.

Miller could, if you go with "the coach that is getting the best players and winning the league every year" method of selecting a COY, be the COY every year. But it never works that way...he has to do something remarkable, like take a group of mix matched players to an Elite 8 and one halfway-down shot to a Final Four to get the award again. Which is fine...he will, instead, produce the POYs and FOYs under the name of the program he directs.

I would feel really good with Tinkle winning the COY. I would not feel the award got its due going to Altman.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:
I would feel really good with Tinkle winning the COY. I would not feel the award got its due going to Altman.
I know Tinkle didn't have a lot to work with, but I can't get behind a guy who frankly could not win on the road in the conference and finished the season 1-6 for COY. I get why Altman is the leader in the clubhouse, self inflicted wounds or not, he fits the criteria completely as a guy who wins this type of award. Miller wins though if Oregon didn't make a ridiculous climb at the end of the season to the #2 spot.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

COY is almost always a "who does the most with the least" award, or the coach who completely turns around a crap team the year(s) before. How many COY does Pop have? And how many years has he been the best coach in the league?

And I'm gonna shit if Payton wins DPOY. I don't know how this can be entertained when RHJ is in your league. There is more to defense than steals, I see steals being thrown out to justify his winning. When dude can lock down the best player on every team, point through power forward it doesn't matter, then talk to me.

We better be cleaning up the awards this year in this joke of a conference.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Alieberman wrote:I think the coach of the year needs to have beaten every other team in the conf. at least 1 time during the year.
And have a brother who coaches.

Miller himself has singled out Altman.
Last edited by gumby on Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

rgdeuce wrote:COY is almost always a "who does the most with the least" award, or the coach who completely turns around a crap team the year(s) before. How many COY does Pop have? And how many years has he been the best coach in the league?

And I'm gonna shit if Payton wins DPOY. I don't know how this can be entertained when RHJ is in your league. There is more to defense than steals, I see steals being thrown out to justify his winning. When dude can lock down the best player on every team, point through power forward it doesn't matter, then talk to me.

We better be cleaning up the awards this year in this joke of a conference.
Payton also plays in a zone. Isn't assigned to shut down best player.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

When do we find out?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Today
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Should Altman get credit for "overcoming" stuff when it was completely his fault that those issues existed in the first place?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat34 wrote:Should Altman get credit for "overcoming" stuff when it was completely his fault that those issues existed in the first place?
If so, you'd have to give credit to Miller for overcoming the early departure of the 2014 POY and FOY. I mean, if he didn't recruit such great talent and coach them up to the point where they are the best in the conference, they'd still be in Arizona uniforms and wouldn't have needed to be replaced.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
To me it is average. Miller is that good and has that high of expectations here that him meeting them is just a normal job completed
I hope you're never in charge of my performance evaluation.

Unfortunately the business world is full of idiocy such as this. I've observed people purposefully not take action until something devolves into a crisis, only so they can look better solving the resulting problem. In reality, the guy who has all facets of the job in order and completes his goals with excellence and a minimum of fuss isn't valued as highly because, well, because nothing went wrong. He was just 'cleaning his rifle' all throughout the year.

If Coach of the Year changes to Coach of the Season, then Altman deserves some consideration, but last time I checked the implosion of Oregon's roster took place during the year. On his watch.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Olsondogg wrote:Today
What time?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Puerco wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
I hope you're never in charge of my performance evaluation.

Unfortunately the business world is full of idiocy such as this. I've observed people purposefully not take action until something devolves into a crisis, only so they can look better solving the resulting problem. In reality, the guy who has all facets of the job in order and completes his goals with excellence and a minimum of fuss isn't valued as highly because, well, because nothing went wrong. He was just 'cleaning his rifle' all throughout the year.

If Coach of the Year changes to Coach of the Season, then Altman deserves some consideration, but last time I checked the implosion of Oregon's roster took place during the year. On his watch.
We just have different definitions of the criteria of what awards for achievement mean. You're the give everyone a participation ribbon type, I'm more the reward performance beyond expectations and truly amazing achievements considering circumstances kind of guy.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

McConnell didn't win one player of the week award and yet still may walk away with player of he year.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Sounds like you should be ready for some fuckery
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Joseph Young won POY.

Fuck this conference.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Chicat wrote:Joseph Young won POY.

Fuck this conference.
Typical Pac12 dump.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.