Thee Pac2 Network

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Thee Pac12 Network

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:That saves me about $15 a month!! Hell yeah!
What is the new deal? Can I get rid of the multi sport pack? Effective when?!?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Would love for it to end up on PlayStation Vue
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Frybry02 wrote:Would love for it to end up on PlayStation Vue
What I'm hoping for too. If it does then I'll absolutely never have cable or satellite again.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I'm sure most of the people who will watching it on Dish switched over solely to get the Pac 12 Network and were already getting the package to get it. Fitting the commissioners name begins with an L.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

I saw a mention of Sling tv on here a while back, and since I just got faster internet (I live out of town with no cable service) I thought I would try it. Signed up last night and watched the red/blue game this morning to try it out. It's really great. For$25 a month it has Pac 12, ESPN's and TNT so I should get all the games (CBS over antenna in HD) plus some NBA when I need it. Beats the heck out of slogging through that First Row abomination. BTW, Alkins really impressed me in that game.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

really is annoying that i can watch the fox sports networks, all espn networks (including espn3, sec network, acc network etc), the big 10 network, plus cbs and nbc games for free on my roku pretty much...and the only single network (besides i guess cbs sports net) i cannot access on my tv easily is the pac 12 network.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:really is annoying that i can watch the fox sports networks, all espn networks (including espn3, sec network, acc network etc), the big 10 network, plus cbs and nbc games for free on my roku pretty much...and the only single network (besides i guess cbs sports net) i cannot access on my tv easily is the pac 12 network.
If you have Kodi installed, just get the Phoenix add-on. Has all the PAC-12 channels.

FS1 is a little more difficult. Had to go through all the servers on the SportsDevil add-on until I found one that worked.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

i downloaded the fox sports go app this weekend and watched the furd game no problem in hd on my roku. didn't have to use any passwords or anything
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Still works: http://live.twigs76.com/pac12/arizona/" target="_blank
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Not sure how much this actually matters but I've noticed that the PAC12 Network Twitter very clearly favors UCLA as far as their in-game posting is concerned. I believe we had 2 posts total mid-game about our game last week and tonight there have been at least 4 posts about Lonzo Ball alone.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:
Still won't get us on DTV.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Still won't get us on DTV.
Probably not, but step in the right direction. PAC-12 network is trash now.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Now?

It's been trash since its inception:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Now?

It's been trash since its inception:
yes, has been forever. Hopefully this will help the programming and ad sales even if a deal with DTV isnt done.

How many times must WSU vs UA Volleyball be on air?
prh

Post by prh »

Another article by Wilner about the Directv dispute, pretty decent article (although not much new info). Really, whole problem can be summed by two mistakes by the Pac12

1. Pac12 gives away its Tier 1 content to ESPN/Fox (Larry Scott thought their "opportunities would be better" that way)
2. Structuring their contracts such that DTV would be forced to give P12 to their large east coast subscriber base, and thinking that they'd be able to force DTV into carrying the network.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/pac- ... h-directv/" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Interesting read. Seems to me it was the perfect storm on channel/network set up and carrier/contract language. Basically a no win for either side. I certainly can't blame DTV and the only blame I guess I could assign to the PAC channel was just how much research they did in setting up the contracts and flow of games to the providers
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

With millions cutting the cord does it really matter any more with DTV? I just started SlingTV up again. With the sports package it's only $25 a month Which includes Pac 12
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:With millions cutting the cord does it really matter any more with DTV? I just started SlingTV up again. With the sports package it's only $25 a month Which includes Pac 12
Damn, I forgot to cancel the sports package in the offseason.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Merkin wrote:With millions cutting the cord does it really matter any more with DTV? I just started SlingTV up again. With the sports package it's only $25 a month Which includes Pac 12
I live on the East Coast and Sling was tremendous for me. I got all the Pac 12 channels and didn't miss any games. Then I shut it down for the summer and will probably reactivate for football season (which is probably a waste of money) :)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
prh

Post by prh »

Chicat wrote:
Original source for that article (which has more information). http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/08/22 ... h-directv/" target="_blank
Interesting bit out of it:
SNL Kagan recently valued P12N at $305 million, compared to $1.142 billion for the Big Ten Network and $4.692 billion for the SEC Network
I don't remember what the partnership percentages are for those two networks, but it seems pretty clear that Scott's idea of 100% ownership backfired.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I cut the cord and couldnt be happier. I pay $14 a month for Hulu (non-commercial version) for the kids and $45 for Sling and my "cable bill" is $60 a month. When basketball season concludes, I wont need Pac 12 network and I can decide whether or not I want to cut off one of the sling tiers and shave an additional $20 or $25 off for seven months, or cut off Sling completely until basketball season resumes, in which case I would be paying only $14 monthly for around seven months of the year. Even with the $40 off a month I got from directv every year because I called and threatened to leave because they did not have Pac 12 networks, my bill was still around $90 when you factor in all the extra costs, fees and taxes. So much flexibility when you dont have to sign contracts.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

rgdeuce wrote:I cut the cord and couldnt be happier. I pay $14 a month for Hulu (non-commercial version) for the kids and $45 for Sling and my "cable bill" is $60 a month. When basketball season concludes, I wont need Pac 12 network and I can decide whether or not I want to cut off one of the sling tiers and shave an additional $20 or $25 off for seven months, or cut off Sling completely until basketball season resumes, in which case I would be paying only $14 monthly for around seven months of the year. Even with the $40 off a month I got from directv every year because I called and threatened to leave because they did not have Pac 12 networks, my bill was still around $90 when you factor in all the extra costs, fees and taxes. So much flexibility when you dont have to sign contracts.
This is what I do now but I only pay for the $20 sling plus the $5 sports pack. I also have amazon prime and just canceled netflix.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

scumdevils86 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:I cut the cord and couldnt be happier. I pay $14 a month for Hulu (non-commercial version) for the kids and $45 for Sling and my "cable bill" is $60 a month. When basketball season concludes, I wont need Pac 12 network and I can decide whether or not I want to cut off one of the sling tiers and shave an additional $20 or $25 off for seven months, or cut off Sling completely until basketball season resumes, in which case I would be paying only $14 monthly for around seven months of the year. Even with the $40 off a month I got from directv every year because I called and threatened to leave because they did not have Pac 12 networks, my bill was still around $90 when you factor in all the extra costs, fees and taxes. So much flexibility when you dont have to sign contracts.
This is what I do now but I only pay for the $20 sling plus the $5 sports pack. I also have amazon prime and just canceled netflix.
If Pac 12 networks were smart, they would have an a la carte app and charge people $5 a month for service. Not sure if there are legal reasons why they cannot do that on top of their contracts with the cable companies.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I cut the cord over six months ago. CenturyLink cut my internet bill from $75 down to $30 by only going down from 60 Mbps to 40Mbps (from Cox). More than usable.

Switched to DirecTV Now streaming, with my AT&T wireless package it only costs $25 a month for 80 channels plus free HBO. Went from over $160 a month down to about $60 with fees for TV+Internet. Never needed home phone since I bought an Ooma box 7 years ago for $149 bucks and have had from VOIP phone ever since. Also switched my alarm monitoring to be Internet-based.

The only bad thing is no Pac-12 Network, but I can't justify another 20-25 bucks a month for one channel with Sling, CenturyLink, or one of the other streaming services that have it. I've been able to get links to watch pretty much any game. Just stream and cast to my TV with Chromecast. FU Larry Scott.
-JB
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

What NEEDS to happen with the PAC-12 Network.

Move headquarters and studio from SF to Phoenix, Vegas, Denver, Tucson, Salt Lake, Fresno etc. anywhere that is easy to get to but way cheaper. To grow the network PAC-12 must move to Directv. But Larry Scott was able to get above market price from Comcast, Dish and Cox so he refuses to give Directv a fair market price for it. Reducing overhead for the network, which is so much more than any other conference per Byrne, would help a lot. Reduce overhead and you can afford to charge all partners less for the channels. You will also finally see legit ad buys then. If you ever watch the PAC-12 networks you will see the same PAC Profiles over and over again or commercials for rehab centers. There is very very little ad buys except for live games. That will change with Directv coming on. Revenue will go up not down after a year or two once Directv is on board even with subscription fees going down for everyone.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Man I have to pay $79 a month for internet, with no option other than Comcast. We pay for Sling, HBO Now, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I pay $93/month for Cox and their 50 mbps plan (which usually only is about 20-30 mbps), $25/month for Sling, $100/year for Amazon, $5 for PBS passport, and $14/month for Hulu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ESPN now loses 15,000 subscribers EVERY SINGLE DAY, 13 million over 6 years.

With so many people cutting the cord, DirecTV will most certainly not give the PAC the money they want, similar to the Big-10 and SEC deals, since the PAC does not have the interest those other conferences have.

Cut the cord, get SlingTV for $20 a month, and pay the additional $5 for the sports package which has the ESPN and PAC channels.
Longhorned wrote:Man I have to pay $79 a month for internet, with no option other than Comcast. We pay for Sling, HBO Now, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.
I get HBO Now for free with Comcast. Also have Netflix and Prime.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I have Netflix too for an extra $11 (I hardly ever watch but the kids do). I don't lump Amazon Prime in with my TV costs as I had Prime before they added video - I consider that a freebie.
-JB
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:ESPN now loses 15,000 subscribers EVERY SINGLE DAY, 13 million over 6 years.

With so many people cutting the cord, DirecTV will most certainly not give the PAC the money they want, similar to the Big-10 and SEC deals, since the PAC does not have the interest those other conferences have.
Exactly right. Get what you can for exposure now and be on the leading edge for digital going forward but get the network on Directv today. Larry Scott=top 5 worst leaders of all time.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I hate Larry Scott as much as the next guy, but is there any chance that the fact that the Pac-12 Network went independent (instead of getting in bed with ESPN or Fox) will be better in the long run? (with the current cable TV model falling apart)
-JB
prh

Post by prh »

UAEebs86 wrote:I hate Larry Scott as much as the next guy, but is there any chance that the fact that the Pac-12 Network went independent (instead of getting in bed with ESPN or Fox) will be better in the long run? (with the current cable TV model falling apart)
I don't think so, I think it will be similar to the crash that's going to happen with NBA salaries (elite players will still get massive contracts, mid tier guys will hurt).

SEC and Big 10 will get cut back, but they will still make good money. Decisions around Pac12 and other similar conferences will be heavily scrutinized, since they aren't nearly much of an impact. Plus, networks have already learned they can survive without much Pac12 content.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAEebs86 wrote:I hate Larry Scott as much as the next guy, but is there any chance that the fact that the Pac-12 Network went independent (instead of getting in bed with ESPN or Fox) will be better in the long run? (with the current cable TV model falling apart)
I dont think so. The network has failed so much when ESPN or Fox would have helped a ton. 50% of 1B is better than 100% of 100M. Only positive is that if PAC-12 goes completely digital there wont be as many parties to keep happy, although yet again moves to Hulu, Amazon, Netflix or its own platform would be easier with ESPN and Fox's help.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:although yet again moves to Hulu, Amazon, Netflix or its own platform would be easier with ESPN and Fox's help.
Just want to add youtube to that mix. Can't dismiss Google's cash behind it. Youtube Red is $10 per month. If Youtube put up a sports streaming site like Red for the same amount, who wouldn't jump on that?

Actually, with SlingTV I only watch ESPN or the PAC channels. No idea what's even on it otherwise.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PHXCATS wrote:What NEEDS to happen with the PAC-12 Network.

Move headquarters and studio from SF to Phoenix, Vegas, Denver, Tucson, Salt Lake, Fresno etc. anywhere that is easy to get to but way cheaper. To grow the network PAC-12 must move to Directv. But Larry Scott was able to get above market price from Comcast, Dish and Cox so he refuses to give Directv a fair market price for it. Reducing overhead for the network, which is so much more than any other conference per Byrne, would help a lot. Reduce overhead and you can afford to charge all partners less for the channels. You will also finally see legit ad buys then. If you ever watch the PAC-12 networks you will see the same PAC Profiles over and over again or commercials for rehab centers. There is very very little ad buys except for live games. That will change with Directv coming on. Revenue will go up not down after a year or two once Directv is on board even with subscription fees going down for everyone.
DirecTV satellite service is a sinking ship. They have been losing customers for years and the rate is increasing dramatically in recent times given the improvements in streaming services and the world of hurt the NFL has found itself in. NFL Sunday Ticket is what kept so many around. DirecTV were smart to get into the streaming game though - millennials and younger are telling their parents how they can cut their TV bills in half as they prepare for or enter retirement. You do want to make sure your viewership net is cast as wide as possible, but personally, I'd be more focused on making sure my net was catching all of the various streaming services, rather than bending over backwards for DirecTV. I do agree that PAC 12 Network needs to move their headquarters to a cheaper place.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:ESPN now loses 15,000 subscribers EVERY SINGLE DAY, 13 million over 6 years.

Cut the cord, get SlingTV for $20 a month, and pay the additional $5 for the sports package which has the ESPN and PAC channels.
Longhorned wrote:Man I have to pay $79 a month for internet, with no option other than Comcast. We pay for Sling, HBO Now, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.
I get HBO Now for free with Comcast. Also have Netflix and Prime.
ESPN, CNN, MSNBC, FOX news... the list goes on and on. Why do I need to tune into Sportscenter for 90 minutes and listen to them jerk off Lebron and the Cowboys, just to get maybe get 15 seconds of highlights of the Bulls and Suns game? I can pull everything up on my phone in seconds and get all of Lauri's highlights for the whole game, or just tune to the NBA network (or MLB or NFL networks). I can do that on the crapper, while I am waiting for the water to boil for spaghetti, or at my son's game. Same goes for the news outlets. Twitter and independent outlets break stuff before they all do and I can do my own homework to verify the information with a few clicks. Hence the reason why MSNBC and Fox News arent on Sling (and my guess is CNN's days on it are limited).
I think all trends point to going the independent route.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Fire Larry Scott
FIFY
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

baycat93 wrote:

Fire Larry Scott
FIFY
How that guy got an extension is still amazing to me. How can anyone be happy with him and his performance in any way is beyond me.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

To all of you experts, I am seriously considering cutting the cord. thank you all for the above and in advance of further help.

If I get the sling service, what hardware do I need and does that get me the normal ABC/NBC/CBS channels?

Again THANKS!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

baycat93 wrote:To all of you experts, I am seriously considering cutting the cord. thank you all for the above and in advance of further help.

If I get the sling service, what hardware do I need and does that get me the normal ABC/NBC/CBS channels?

Again THANKS!
I have a Roku box for the SlingTV app.

I don't watch network TV, except for the occasional local news, which you need just an antenna. True HD too, over the air (OTA).

NBC has a free Roku app. Believe CBS charges to use theirs.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
baycat93 wrote:To all of you experts, I am seriously considering cutting the cord. thank you all for the above and in advance of further help.

Again THANKS!
I have a Roku box for the SlingTV app.

I don't watch network TV, except for the occasional local news, which you need just an antenna. True HD too, over the air (OTA).

NBC has a free Roku app. Believe CBS charges to use theirs.

Yea, what Merk said. I forgot to mention I put up an antenna.

OTA is actually better quality video than over cable or streaming. No compression.
-JB
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Again THANKS!
I bought my Roku for $79 at Costco. It has 4k capability and a few other bells and whistles, but they have plenty of more affordable options in the $20-$40 range if you are fine with 1080p. Our second tv has all the needed hardware built in, and I also bought a Roku stick ($25) that I can easily move from the master bedroom to a kids room if needed, plus I can take it with me when I travel. There are other brand options too (firestick, chromecast, etc). You can also use some video gaming consoles (PS4 and I believe XBOX One will both have u covered).

For local channels, all you need is an over the air antenna. There are plenty of solid options from $20-$50 range. I paid around $35 for my outdoor antenna and the local channels come in with a better picture than they did with Direct TV. All I had to do was take down my satellite dish and plug in the coax cable that went to it to the new antenna. If you dont want an antenna on your roof or live in an apartment, there are "interior" options that you can mount on an interior wall or stick to a window. You just have to make sure you have a relatively unobstructed path toward the television towers (which you can find online).
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

A lot of the streaming services (DirecTV Now and Sling for example) throw in a free Roku Stick or box if you prepay for a couple months of service.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:A lot of the streaming services (DirecTV Now and Sling for example) throw in a free Roku Stick or box if you prepay for a couple months of service.

https://www.sling.com/free-roku-express ... j8EALw_wcB" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:A lot of the streaming services (DirecTV Now and Sling for example) throw in a free Roku Stick or box if you prepay for a couple months of service.

https://www.sling.com/free-roku-express ... j8EALw_wcB" target="_blank
https://www.directvnow.com/rokunow?ref= ... DB00GOO7QP
-JB
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Thanks Merkin/UAE/Rg!

UAE, i have ATT uverse now. Do you like DirectTV? Have you tried Sling?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Ps Vue has to be the best of all of the live TV services. Great dvr, lots of channels. And you can have it with a Roku or Amazon tv stick besides a PlayStation system. Only downside is no pac 12
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.